( search forums )
Read this if you want people to like your maps
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Rambo_6
April 4, 2004, 3:53 pm
It has come to my attention that a substantial amount of people haven't been taking enough time on their maps, and thus releasing pointy disasters. Let m e point out that it is not our fault you get bad comments, it is your laziness. A good map should contain these necessities in order to get half-decent praise:

-A good amount of scenery
-Waypointing
-Decent shading
-Spawn points...[8)]
-Polys that you put some time and effort into, not some triangle-piece-of-crap.

Do this and you'll get the respect you deserve!

b00stA
April 4, 2004, 4:23 pm
quote:Originally posted by Rambo_6
-Some scenery
-Waypointing
-Shading
-Spawn points...[8)]
-Polys that you put some time and effort into, not some triangle-piece-of-crap.
Do this and you'll get the respect you deserve!

so I just make a map that looks like a circle (no triangle-crap), put in 2 stones and one tree, make the bottom red and the roof blue, make 2 waypoints and 2 spawnpoints, then it's an at least a-ok map? That's great.

Aquarius
April 4, 2004, 5:43 pm
My map aqua_Surreal doesn't have scenery but I think it doesn't look bad.

¤JOJO¤
April 4, 2004, 6:43 pm
quote:Originally posted by Aquarius
My map aqua_Surreal doesn't have scenery but I think it doesn't look bad.
your map is wonderful!!!!

Zeppelin_Chile
April 4, 2004, 10:42 pm
you are all stupids
this is only for having a good time, don't take to seriously

Rambo_6
April 5, 2004, 1:04 am
You're taking me too literally, Boosta :p

Surreal is a wonderful map, and has no scenery. this is acceptible because of it's awesome art approach. I don't think too many peole in these forums do that, so i definitely think most peoople should use scenery. After all, any other map would suck baseballs without scenery.

b00stA
April 5, 2004, 10:35 am
I was trying to say that you don't need the kinda shading you see today.. look at Michal's maps, he doesn't shade the way others do and it still looks great.
New mappers should analyze other maps and.. they shouldn't release their first attempts, although they want to share something with the community :)

Deleted User
April 5, 2004, 10:59 am
I didn't release any of my first attempts, which meant my first release was a damn good map [:P]

The key thing to having a good map is originality.

April 5, 2004, 11:57 am
No, the key thing to have in a map is playability. If it looks pretty, but plays like a CD covered in scratches, it's just not good. On the other hand, if you have a map made in two colours, but is the best fun you've ever had, someone can still change the poly colours, and give it some personality, and make it the best. Map. EVAR. It's a game, not an art gallery.

NuZZ
April 6, 2004, 12:19 pm
Yeah, I have always gradiented etc...
so yeah all my maps have been quality I guess, but you gotto realise to yourself.
Just pickture this game as of say... Diablo 2? nOW thats very popular, if your gonno make a map, its gotto be good to please the hundreds of thousands that might look at the map! So this aint just a simple little game, IT'S SOLDAT!!

Rambo_6
April 8, 2004, 1:02 am
I'm not saying all maps have to be a work of art, i'm saying your maps shouldn't be half-@$$ed.

Maybe that's what i tried to say the whole time...

odinn
April 8, 2004, 7:19 am
Too many polys will make soldat run slower on slower systems!, quite simple reason why michal keeps the number of polys down.

for example, i have 466Mhz, 128mb, and some maps with too many polys will make the framerate drop, create small loading breaks and make the gameplay worse.

Aquarius
April 8, 2004, 7:50 am
You are right, official maps shouldn't have to many polys, but we are talking about custom maps.