( search forums )
ten years of influence
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
MikeShinoda.pheonix
April 6, 2004, 6:42 am
(I know a lot of you don't care, so dont bother to flame me) In just seven years they changed music and music videos forever. Today was the 10th year w/o nirvana and kurt. What i wonder is where the influence went. it just turned in to some prissy nsync. what a shame. any song of nirvana has more thought and meaning most songs songs i have ever heard. I am not saying that i dislike any band besides nirvana. i love incubus like a lot of the soldat fans, and most rock. just thought id share that with you all.

Kurt Cobain - 1967 - 94
Nirvana - 1987- 94

Captain RibMan
April 6, 2004, 7:07 am
[IMAGE]

cup_of_squirrels
April 6, 2004, 9:09 am
Um, isnt kurt in Nirvana and so technicly the same thing?

gi.joe
April 6, 2004, 10:04 am
nope...

Hitman
April 6, 2004, 2:31 pm
quote:Originally posted by MikeShinoda.pheonix
i love incubusYay, another Incubus fan!

palloco
April 6, 2004, 3:11 pm
I hate incubus, it is just another soft rock, or whtever you call it, with nothing special.

Perky
April 6, 2004, 3:19 pm
quote:Originally posted by palloco
I hate incubus, it is just another soft rock, or whtever you call it, with nothing special.

mee too

Weed
April 6, 2004, 3:58 pm
yeah, too bad nirvana is gone, that opened doors to all this new wave of gay "rock" (like incubus, a perfect circle, Linkin park) and to gay pop music...
and more then that, it destroyed the grunge :/
well, at least i can still listen to my old Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Faith no More, soundgarden... oh the good old days :P

?
April 6, 2004, 5:57 pm
Music goes through fads jsut like clothes, Kurts music is just out of fashion now. Still there are some "true fans" that still listen and get inspired by him but for the most part well, people come people go, the same in life as in everything else.

BMF
April 6, 2004, 9:31 pm
Britney Spears goes away as a fad. N'Sync and Linkin Park go away. Christina Aguilera will be gone in three years.

True music, like true art never goes out of fashion.

By the way, I am not a big fan of Nirvana. I dont like a 25 year old singing of how bad he has had it in high school. That's just not my thing.

Famine
April 6, 2004, 11:25 pm
DOWN WITH NU METAL (Incubus, so on)

And now here comes puddle of mudd, a nirvana clone....

n00bface
April 6, 2004, 11:28 pm
rawr

BMF
April 6, 2004, 11:41 pm
New Metal is crap

DeafBox
April 6, 2004, 11:53 pm
I think ull find its quote:Nu Metal and yeah its really crap :S

quote:Um, isnt kurt in Nirvana and so technicly the same thing?
well... it is pretty much.

Anyway, this is like the worst tribute thread ever.

quote:i love incubus like a lot of the soldat fans, and most rock.
I dont think u can pay tribute to nirvana and then pay respect to a sell out band like Incubus. No offence, Enjoy, hitman.... and eveyone else but they are.
Re-hashing what nirvana did 10 YEARS AGO!!!!! doesnt deserve your respect or your money.
And dont say that its different, cos its all the same sh!t. same fomula.

Youre very correct, nirvana / cobain have had a massive influence over the 10 years. They have inspired many bands like incubus, pearl jam etc.

sooo.. yeah its a shame that he died when he did as im sure the face of music 2day would be so much different and so much better if he was still alive. Everyone should buy or at least dl then buy the Nevermind CD as its classic. The songs still sound fresh and have that timely quality.

Fuk i wish i had the chance to see them live :(

RIP.

peemonkey
April 7, 2004, 12:17 am
i blame nirvana and green day for all this weak-ass emo music there is nowadays. although i enjoy some nirvana(mostly bootlegged), it gets old fast. nirvana's memory hasnt aged like wine, but more along the lines of meat in the sun. (yes, incubus is one of those weak emo bands, everything is right now. except Brujeria)

Hitman
April 7, 2004, 12:25 am
quote:DOWN WITH NU METAL (Incubus, so on)[:-censored] you!

Famine
April 7, 2004, 12:27 am
MWAHAHAHAHA

peemonkey
April 7, 2004, 1:30 am
if he hadnt died that day, he would have died soon after. and if not then, then soon after. and if not then, well, you know. but if he'd survived and saw the horrible crap being played nowadays (and alot say they were influenced by nirvana), he'd kill himself anyway.

DeafBox
April 7, 2004, 6:24 am
yeah, thats true. if he new what he was going to spawned he would of ended himself before starting Nirvana.

Weed
April 7, 2004, 8:00 am
good music never dies.
ppl still listen to The Beatles, and they died even before we all were born, and i listen to them too to be honest.oul
great bands stay around even years after they die, so does nirvana, so would metallica if they wouldnt be so gay and make St Anger, so is Queen, Rolling Stones, how many of the new bands live so much? there are bands that were toghether for 2 years and ppl listen to them even 30 years after they broke up, and there are bansd that been toghether for 15 years and ppl dont give a shiet bout them.

and yeah, fuk incubus, they remind me of the backstreet boys with guitars.

cup_of_squirrels
April 7, 2004, 10:44 am
*walks off listening to System of a Down* "The toxicity of our city......"

I like incubus :( im not an avid fan, but i still like them. Stop dissing.

April 7, 2004, 11:20 am
MUSIC IS DEAD EMBRACE THE SILENCE!!!11111one

Hitman
April 7, 2004, 4:05 pm
quote:and yeah, fuk incubus, they remind me of the backstreet boys with guitars.[:-censored] you too!

Alamo
April 7, 2004, 4:27 pm
Hitman you act like some boy from kindergarden lol...
Nirvana was a good band. Now there's just that Nu-Metal (though i like some SoaD tracks)and Crossover like Limp Bizkit who's always crying bout his so-bad youth...

Famine
April 7, 2004, 8:29 pm
I only like Chop Suey and Aerials by SoaD. But I mostly listent 80-60 music...

that fuking sniper
April 7, 2004, 9:20 pm
quote:Originally posted by BMF
Britney Spears goes away as a fad. N'Sync and Linkin Park go away. Christina Aguilera will be gone in three years.

True music, like true art never goes out of fashion.

By the way, I am not a big fan of Nirvana. I dont like a 25 year old singing of how bad he has had it in high school. That's just not my thing.

So true. Except that I do like Nirvana and Kurt's lyrics.

But to the point at hand: Everyone remembers who Black Sabbath were, everyone knows who Led Zepplin were, everyone will remember Metallica for a long time after their disbanding some day. This is the real music, these guys set the standard and actually did something new. They werent stupid little copycats feeding off a great legacy of another band that made a certain type of mainstream popular.

Who remembers New Kids On The Block? Backstreet Boys? N*sync? And all the other idiots?

Insignificance is easily forgotten.

Old Metal is the [:-censored], will continue to be the [:-censored], forever. :D

P.S. For some reason, nobody listens to Manowar, they are another one of those quality 80's metal bands that are definately worth recognition which they havent gotten.

Famine
April 7, 2004, 9:56 pm
80 metal was the s**t....I hate people who think they guy just screams...dude they actually sing.

palloco
April 7, 2004, 10:01 pm
HELLOWEEN!!!

DeafBox
April 8, 2004, 1:09 am
quote:P.S. For some reason, nobody listens to Manowar, they are another one of those quality 80's metal bands that are definately worth recognition which they havent gotten
No-one listens to Manowar cos they sing about viking metal, which is kina lame...... altho i do like some of thier stuff....

n00bface
April 8, 2004, 1:45 am
nobody listens to the beastie boys either.. come to think of it.. neither do I.. man they suck..

?
April 8, 2004, 2:09 am
Beastie boys are cool, metallica's earlier stuff is ok, to be honest everyone is unque no matter how similar their music may seem to their influences. Also the "gay" boybands will be remember whether it be negative or not they will be remembered. There is always a group of people that will remember a certain band or age of music, you people seem to choose the same thing basicly.

cup_of_squirrels
April 8, 2004, 8:50 am
Oh dear this is turning into a rap dispute.....

Hitman
April 8, 2004, 1:33 pm
quote:Hitman you act like some boy from kindergarden lol...*Sigh* Yes Alamo, yes..

Weed
April 8, 2004, 4:46 pm
there is a difference One Gram, the boy bands will be remembered as the stain of the musical world, not by their music, so no one will listen to their music, they will be used to make a negative comparition, like i did before with Incubus.
but the bands named by TFS before, and some more (ramones, guns n roses, van halen, twisted sister, etc...) will be remembered by the ppl who like it mostly, and ppl still listen to those bands, even if they are long dead or just old.
and if u havent noticed, backstreet boys already disapeared, and i dont see no one paying them to make music again...

anyway, pop sux, this gayish nu metal sux even more.
true metal lives

MikeShinoda.pheonix
April 8, 2004, 6:10 pm
this isnt a tribute thread, its something to get ppl to think about music and talk about it. like some of you said, everyone likes what they like. no changing it. incubus has some good stuff. and so does Soad. i like most rock like i said. and the bands that made the music shouldnt care if someone doesnt like them. i know nirvana didnt. btw...country singers are sellouts. "remember when....that cloud of smoke....and so on..."

AerialAssault
April 8, 2004, 11:20 pm
DONT U EVER, EVER INSULT THE WORK OF MAYNARD JAMES KEENAN, TOOL AND APERFECTCIRCLES MUSIC IS 100 TIMES DEEPER THAN NIRVANA

i am a fan of nirvana, i like them alot. but u cant compare TOOL and aperfectcircle to bands like incubus and linkin park, there not on the same level. im not alone in thinking that maynard james keenan is quite possibly the best rock vocalist ever. and the lyrics have so much more meaning

Weed
April 9, 2004, 2:18 am
a perfect circle is the gayest funk metal band i ever heard
im ashamed of calling it funk metal.
dont get so emotional, its not like they give a fuk bout you anyway.
sucka

Famine
April 9, 2004, 2:45 am
I agree with weed...

DeafBox
April 9, 2004, 3:05 am
quote:btw...country singers are sellouts. "remember when....that cloud of smoke....and so on..."
WTF! errrrr....... in what way? ppl who play country music get no recognition, no money and certainly no fame. In what way are they sell outs???????

MikeShinoda.pheonix
April 9, 2004, 4:58 am
There are so many songs about 9/11 .They just use sad things to get ppl to buy their albums. the singers didnt really have to think to write lyrics that say.. "remember when" ever 10 seconds in a song. im sorry if you really like country, but i dont that much.
it just seems that there isnt much thought that goes into it. i guess im just not into that.

n00bface
April 9, 2004, 6:19 am
quote:Originally posted by Weed
blah blah blah
sucka

LOL

that fuking sniper
April 9, 2004, 1:27 pm
Deaf-Box: Manowar isnt "Viking Metal". Its "Metal" or "Heavy Metal". There is no such category, that's just what they chose as their band theme or so. People normally do think it is kind of lame doing the whole "badass" attitude from the 80's right now. But I dont really care about that, I care about the music. Manowar sounds great. They have great riffs, great vocals, and amazing solos. So do alot of bands that not too many people find popular, such as Iron Maiden, or Muse.

What I especially like about these bands is that they dont change their style every time the wind decides to blow in a different direction with public opinion. These bands do what they do, if the public doesnt like it, their loss. And I respect that.

How many pop bands have anyone seen do this? Almost every single [:-censored]ing one of them either disbanded or changed members/style because of public opinion. That ceases being art, and starts being a trend instead.

societies_punishment
April 9, 2004, 2:42 pm
Music has definatly changed for the worse, all it's about now is makeing money... they are missing that specail something they once had ... and need back ... there is ok bands today but I still wouldn't call it music.. it reflects the way the world is today, everything is fake in a sence, so I guess we have evolved accordingly.

everyone has their priorities outta wak.

b00stA
April 9, 2004, 3:08 pm
societies punishment, just stop watching MTV and don't let others tell you what to like..

MikeShinoda.pheonix
April 9, 2004, 3:16 pm
this is funny. i start the best threads.

Weed
April 9, 2004, 3:27 pm
TFS, dont forget many other bands that were really good back in the day, have changed their style to be more "popular" to get new fans and to fuk their older fans.
yes, im takling bout Metallica, Aerosmith and Bon Jovi. those 3 were great back in the day.
Metallica rocked before it made "Load", Aerosmith rocked before they made "Nine Lives", and well, Bon Jovi turned out to be real fags.
great bands are those that dont change their style coz they dont give a shiet bout the new "waves" of music.

AerialAssault
April 9, 2004, 8:40 pm
weed ur an asshole, apc isnt "funk metal" its progressive rock, and just because u dont like it doesnt give u the right to insult it. it takes a while to like it, u cant hear it just once in most cases, but its some of the only original music left these days. im a huge fan of Van Halen, and ACDC, and i liked metallica before st.anger(shudders). u need to be more open minded weed, not all new music sux. and by the way TOOL's been aound since the 80's sp there not new wave rock by any means

cup_of_squirrels
April 9, 2004, 9:20 pm
Sheesh every time I watch txt drugs and rock n roll on mtv2 its like this....

Look, who cares about other bands. Listen to what the hell you want and dont bother other people about that they listen to.

DeafBox
April 10, 2004, 1:53 am
quote:There are so many songs about 9/11 .They just use sad things to get ppl to buy their albums. the singers didnt really have to think to write lyrics that say.. "remember when" ever 10 seconds in a song. im sorry if you really like country, but i dont that much.
it just seems that there isnt much thought that goes into it. i guess im just not into that.

LOL! i dont like country. But i still dont think u can label all country singers as being sellouts. Just cos u saw that once on a South Park episode doesnt mean they all are.

quote: Deaf-Box: Manowar isnt "Viking Metal". Its "Metal" or "Heavy Metal". There is no such category
Yeah, threre is no offical category but if u had to describe it thats what it would be. Dude, i wish there was more Manowar cos its heaps better than all the sh!t these days. But if u had to describe the sound it would be viking metal.
IMO, i think singing about Dragons and medievil times is kinda.... lame.... geekish..... but its my only opinion. I also must admit i havent heard all that much, so i could be wrong.
If u like Manowar u should definately check out Dream Evil. Altho its more power metal its still the same sort of stuff.

--------------------------
The only good thing about having all this crap music, is that the under ground scene is REALLY awesome. And by underground i mean little to no radio or TV exposure. I know in Aus we have some really awesome bands kicking around that dont get any respect or airtime. Like for example there is this one Heavy Metal show thats on for 2 hours every tuesday from 11-1am on a really low rating radio show. And the thing is like the DJ host guy is always at the gigs. and hes cool and really approachable. This smallness you wouldnt get if the music i like was really popular. So from that point of things i apreciate the fact that not everyone is on it. Im sure its the same whether u like Metal, Hardcore, Punk wateva.
Sooooo...... yeah.... cog are playing at the Evelyn hotel on the 13th and The Butter Fly Effect at the Hifi Bar on the 25th, cyaz there [:P]

Famine
April 10, 2004, 2:14 am
wow van halen...the metal band for beginners.

AerialAssault
April 10, 2004, 2:31 am
heh, they still pwn u [:-censored]ing commie

cup_of_squirrels
April 10, 2004, 9:52 am
*cough*lock*cough*

TIR_Blade
April 10, 2004, 2:51 pm
wow there was a lot of Linkin Park Bashing...Screw u all.

Famine
April 10, 2004, 3:42 pm
I don't wanna hear some little guy screaming at the top of his lungs. And the scratch guy! he only has like three scratches through some songs sounds like a friend who they didn't wanna feel left out. And then the guitarists act like they are hard core...yea I am sure they are![;)]

that fuking sniper
April 10, 2004, 5:07 pm
Guitarist harcorism died with Slash :P Now they're all wannabe's. Example Lenny Kravitz, a Jimmy Hendrix wannabe, gee, couldnt notice that.

cup_of_squirrels
April 11, 2004, 12:11 pm
Ok, thats it, Im being blunt:

SHUT THE [:-censored] UP! OK, WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT TASTES BUT THERE IS NO REASON TO ARGUE OVER WHOS GOOD AND WHO ISNT!!! I DISLIKE MANY BANDS BUT I HAVNT SED A WORD!! AAAARG JUST LISTEN TO YOUR OWM DAMN MUSIC AND LET OTHER PEOPLE LISTEN TO THEIRS

*aaah* good to get that off my chest ^^

Weed
April 11, 2004, 3:17 pm
lol
you lil bunch of cry babies
stfu and dont try to shove ur opinions up my troath
bunch of fuktards.
if i say Aperfectcircle sux, its my opinion, u agree? i dont care. u dissagree? i also dont give a damn. just stop with the cry baby actions: "boohoo, you dont go insulting APC, they rock! fuk you idiot, you know nothing bout music *cryes*"
idiots, im saying, aperfectcricle, linkin park, and all the other gayish bands around here can lick my balls while you all lick theirs.
i can insult their music as much as i wish, like ppl can insult other ppl's music, and like ppl can call my music "so heavy its like shiet", i dont give a damn bout stupid idiots' opinions.
so Aerial Assault, Cry me a river, lil kid.

deejii
April 11, 2004, 3:36 pm
whispers.... haaaaaaail and kiiill :i

Famine
April 11, 2004, 5:08 pm
I agree with weed. Yea, I think Van Halen is a good and, but I don't think he is the best guitar player.

AerialAssault
April 12, 2004, 5:18 am
weed u dont have to be an asshole about it, u dont have to like the band but respect their talent. i dont care for alot of bands but i still admit that they are talented.

cup_of_squirrels
April 12, 2004, 1:04 pm
I agree with weed. And me.

Famine
April 12, 2004, 3:38 pm
quote:lol
you lil bunch of cry babies
stfu and dont try to shove ur opinions up my troath
bunch of fuktards.
if i say Aperfectcircle sux, its my opinion, u agree? i dont care. u dissagree? i also dont give a damn. just stop with the cry baby actions: "boohoo, you dont go insulting APC, they rock! fuk you idiot, you know nothing bout music *cryes*"
idiots, im saying, aperfectcricle, linkin park, and all the other gayish bands around here can lick my balls while you all lick theirs.
i can insult their music as much as i wish, like ppl can insult other ppl's music, and like ppl can call my music "so heavy its like shiet", i dont give a damn bout stupid idiots' opinions.
so Aerial Assault, Cry me a river, lil kid.

V.S.
quote:Ok, thats it, Im being blunt:

SHUT THE UP! OK, WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT TASTES BUT THERE IS NO REASON TO ARGUE OVER WHOS GOOD AND WHO ISNT!!! I DISLIKE MANY BANDS BUT I HAVNT SED A WORD!! AAAARG JUST LISTEN TO YOUR OWM DAMN MUSIC AND LET OTHER PEOPLE LISTEN TO THEIRS

*aaah* good to get that off my chest ^^

Sort of contradicts don't it? Aerial, what if he thinks they have no talent? I pretty sure I can play better guitar then a bunch of those bands out today.

cup_of_squirrels
April 12, 2004, 4:14 pm
Ok so I was a bit more in your face, but you ignored my earlier attempts :-/

Weed
April 12, 2004, 5:10 pm
yeah, gotta give some ppl here a tissue to clean their tears.
they maybe talented, so? you can also say the spice girls were talented.
talent comes in different sizes. and the talent size of the bands i mentioned above inst nothing impressive, they just had luck. i know myself bands, that will never reach mtv, will never make a giant show, but yet, they are far more talented then 90% of the fags on mtv.
luck and talent arent the same thing.

MikeShinoda.pheonix
April 12, 2004, 6:36 pm
weed, you are beautiful.

cup_of_squirrels
April 12, 2004, 8:05 pm
Amen to Weed's speech.

Weed
April 13, 2004, 3:09 pm
stop licking my socks mother fukers.

TIR_Blade
April 14, 2004, 12:08 am
i don't think it's your socks that they're licking :p

Hitman
April 14, 2004, 12:38 am
Weed, stfu and enjoy it, it's the only action your gonna get..

Weed
April 14, 2004, 12:49 am
heh, strange, i remember getting more action last week...
really, stop sticking ur noses up my butt, some ppl like it, i dont, i hate suckers.

and hitman, that only works for ya buddy, your nose must be full of shiet tho ;)

and btw, either talk bout music, or stfu, coz this topic is about music i think...