( search forums )
ctf_rural - Sounds boring, but has smooth polys
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
DaRabman
April 10, 2004, 11:28 pm
Lo all,

4th map I've made (taken over a year to get it posted) in response to requests to make my brushwork smoother and with better colours.

It's a map based on the country side around where I live (The South Downs, Sussex), which is basically a series of rolling hills that backdrops the village where I live (I could be a tourist guide [:)]). The map also contains underground caverns and passage ways, which naturally aren't so characteristic of the sussex countryside.

Points to look for in the map are the smooth hills, staggered tree scenery to simulate the effect of running through the forest and the use of scenery to make the tunnels look more realistic.

The map's also fully waypointed and the .zip contains the ctf edition, and the DM, TDM, RM and PM edition.

Here are some screens:

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

and click here for the file and follow the link.

Looking forward to some feedback,
Sam.

GluLm
April 10, 2004, 11:54 pm
(one full year, you sure?)
I really like those kind of maps with tunnels and stuffs like that.
Also, it's nice how you set that texture that looks like dirt...
(I don't think it's the first time you did that, or did you? Can't remember well about your maps)
I find a bad point in this one though:
you over-used the "behind map" level for the trees, and you should at least set
a bit of transparency for them if you don't want people to stay completely invisible when standing
behind them... else, it's no good at all. (yeah I know, you're not camping... ;)
Therefore, I suggest you set most of the trees at level 0 "behind everything" and only some of them
at level 2 "in front of everything" too, so that is looks embed with the polygons.
Another small stuff you should improve: that small lake and bridge. I don't know how exactly, but
just make them bigger or usefull...
The maps itself is worthy and probably needs more sceneries.
Last but not least, in the DM version when a player reaches the very left part of the map
it forces a respawn. Please watch over that too and fix it.

DaRabman
April 11, 2004, 12:17 am
Thanks for the feedback.
When I say it took me a year to get it posted, I mean I made it a year ago in the space of about 4/5 days and have only just posted it now [:)]. The same principal lies behind why there are many trees in the foreground, little scenery 'topside' and the placement of Medikits and grenades. It basically means that the surface is a very dangerous part of the map, but important as it's the main location of the Medikits, where nades are in the tunnels, meaning grenade attacks are more dangerous as they can be concentrated in the passageways.
On another point, based mainly around the fact that I'm lazy, I would have to completely re-do all the tree scenery if I wanted to make some of the foreground trees translucent. The bridge is incidental, I just wanted a slight break in the layout but something not too imposing, and I can understand the falling off the sides, I was just trusting people not to throw themselves off [:D].
Cheers for the feedback again,
Sam.

edit: And yeah, I did use the background texture effect with the home bases in my map ctf_russia.

Soulsnipa
April 11, 2004, 1:32 am
Very nice looking map.

Holden
April 12, 2004, 7:59 pm
That map looks really good, and is nicely shaded. Good job. =). However, is it waypointed? Also, if you want to make it so that people don't throw themselves of the edges, put spikes or just ground that kills, because otherwise people (especially in DM) can use this to their advantage, because you don't die, you just respawn. =(.

Cookie.
April 12, 2004, 8:06 pm
purdy

blackdevil0742
April 12, 2004, 9:44 pm
Nice looking map!

DaRabman
April 12, 2004, 9:57 pm
Chiz all, and yes, it is fully waypointed.
Sam.

April 12, 2004, 10:56 pm
quote:Originally posted by DaRabman
Sounds boring, but has smooth polys
SOLD!
Nice map... but it looks like one of those where an encounter with another player is quite rare. Nice all the same. (Downloads)

Da cHeeSeMaN
April 13, 2004, 5:14 pm
hey looks nice!...

JaZzMaN
April 13, 2004, 5:23 pm
Wooooow, nice... :D *downloading...*

Toumaz
April 14, 2004, 10:53 am
Looks really nice!
I should have downloaded it at once, but I can't...

Melba
April 15, 2004, 2:58 pm
Great Map man
Its da Bomb!
Peace ouuuuut to all yo niggahs

DaRabman
April 16, 2004, 12:58 am
Interesting fellow...
Sam.