( search forums )
How did you started playing?
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
palloco
April 14, 2004, 8:16 am
Now, whenever we see a newbie, he... he does not move! He stay as quiet as possible in the spawning place to shot enemies with his barret. How many of you started playing that way?
The first thing I did, like in every game, was learning how to move. I was just running towards enemy base to throw all the nades I had and emptied my clip(well, nowadays I still do that :P). But I had learnt how to be first in ctf before being able to kill anyone.
Now it seems that moving is useless, after having learnt how to shot in spawning place they learn how to move to a camping place, then they learn how to move like bots to enemy base so they never miss shots and... magic! all newbies in soldat become barretards...
Or did anyone of you started playing this way and then learnt to play properly with other weapon?

The Noid
April 14, 2004, 8:19 am
You start in the camp you stay in the camp. I mean I never leave my tent.

Aquarius
April 14, 2004, 8:27 am
When I started to play Soldat (1.1.2) I used to camp in the base with the Barret [:I] I had green colors, I was hiding in the bushes and behind the rocks. I was a great defender and a camp... sniper [;)] But after a month I got bored and I switched to M79. I sticked to it. It is my beloved weapon.

I wasn't camping any more, but I didn't change my skin color - it was green for a veeery long time. However, after a few months I changed to blue colors, because I realised that I don't need the camo any more [:O] I learned maps (Yeah, you have to learn maps) I learned how to move quickly, how to kill quickly, how to use taunts, grenades, secondary weapons... and how to avoid and kill campers. [:D]

Alamo
April 14, 2004, 10:23 am
I started way back in 105b Barret sucked back then (imho). I started with M79 and was quite good at it. Sometimes I stuck to the Minimi too. By the times of 1.1.5 I became a barretard but when I got to the AB (Anonymous Barretards) I started to play with M79 and Minimi again. My Main Weps are M79 and Minimi now... (and a knife)

SuperKill
April 14, 2004, 12:12 pm
i started in 1.0.5 with the minigun for the first days, then switched to m79 and became the top m79'ers and now i'm barreting x]

BlackSpear
April 14, 2004, 12:30 pm
I started with every gun, just picking one that I felt like and moved like all the time, back then I acutaly thought that the barret was for vets couse I used it once and didn't like it at all becouse of it's one shot, after that noob fase I began to think as a normal human being and flew a lot and picked the ruger as my fav and also began to think that the barret was a noob weapon...
so to this day I never actively used the barret and I still can't camp (just don't feel like it, can sit somewhere to reload but just can't make myself just sit there.... it just sucks... WANT TO MOVE!!)
think I played too mutch UT and stuff where the law is, if you stand still, your dead (especialy in instagib what I played a lot)

kevith
April 14, 2004, 8:40 pm
Well when I first started, I couldn't hit a target with a bullet to save my life, so I went with the minigun because I figured I was sure to at least hit something with it (which was a step in the right direction). Killing, however, was another matter entirely. I then realized that I never lived for very long before getting killed so I went with the M79 since I could kill in 1 shot (and that was usually all I got off before I died anyway). I felt like I was getting pretty good with the M79 when I decided to try the Barret since it was still 1 hit-kill, had a bigger range, and easier to aim since there was virtually no arc. After a little while of using the barret I became quite good with it and so I used it constantly. After a few months of that I was getting pretty bored and considered "quitting" Soldat, but decided to try other weapons first to see if that brought the spark back into Soldat for me... and, thankfully, it did. [:D]

edit: I just went and looked in the manual, and it looks like I first played Soldat in 1.0.5b but didn't get hooked. (It could have been earlier, but I don't remember. That was a long time ago and the release dates were so close together at the time.) I came back with the release of 1.1.0 and the rest is history.

b00stA
April 14, 2004, 9:31 pm
I think it was one version before 1.0.5b.. I loved the Steyr AUG hmmmm..
but I don't remember how I learned what.. err

Hitman
April 14, 2004, 9:59 pm
Well, Soldat was the first computer game that I actually properly played, back then I knew [:-censored] all about computers, still do, but I'm getting better.

I came across it while at a friends house, after drinking for a bit we went up to his computer room, to listen to music (He had all his music on his computer *cough* Kazaa *cough*). Then he started to play Soldat, at first I didn't even know what was going on his screen, cause being pretty tipsy I thought it was supposed to be 3D and that he was sniping people from above or something. Anyway after taking a closer look I realised that it was 2D, I didn't really pay much attention to it. Anyways he said he found it while looking for something on Kazaa. So a few days later, I looked for Soldat on Kazaa, and there it was, only 1 user. So I downloaded it and began to play it, and loved it. I constantly played team match on Bunker, and I loved it, it was my favourite map and mode.

I played that version for months (I'm almost certain that it was 1.0.4b, cause I remember downloading the next version, 1.0.5b, and that it had the new bonus cluster grenades, which I thought were awesome) until my friend discovered the Soldat website, which is when I downloaded the latest version, 1.0.5b. I never played online until a couple of versions later, and only found out there was a Forum months later.

I always used the Styer, since 1.0.4 until 1.1.5, now I use practically all of the weapons. I have and always will love Soldat.

Chakra
April 14, 2004, 10:40 pm
started back in 1.1.4 on my old 56k. Immediately got into real-mode and ignored standard mode, sticking to my mp5, steyr, then the rest.

Steyr was quite a fun challenge in real mode as it had a very strong recoil, so you were forced to fire in bursts - practically a semi-auto. Spraying would just drill the ceiling.

Whenever I tried normal-mode I found myself bored and disgusted with everyone using the same weapon.But then real-mode died, so I branched into normal mode and started my campaign of whining, forever looking for those rare varied and exciting rounds.

Can't say i've played much recently though...I gave soldat a whirl yesterday after being bored with it for a few weeks and it's certainly not as good as I remember.

Marbire
April 14, 2004, 10:40 pm
Someone posted a link to Soldat.pl in a forum I go to, sometime in 2001. It was the first version of soldat.

Of course, I was a sniper. I was in the SS clan. That all changed after 1.2 was releeased though. I use every single weapon now. (Except barret)

Dathker
April 14, 2004, 10:49 pm
hrm, i started WAY BACK..err no so far back in the 1.1.4 days. it was when my MEAN cousin showed me SOLDAT. at first i had no [:-censored]ing clue what a FPS was.. /me = EXTREME n00b. i played on mostly DM with my cousin, who always pwned everyone with his ruger. and i was ...like 2nd to last place with my, dumb idea of using every single gun until i go familiar with one. then he told me to stop switching wepons. and i asked him what gun should i use. he said that his favorite weapon is the ruger, becuase it was an easy two shot kill. then i asked him why no the barret, its a one shot kill innit? so why not use that, it is easier? he said the reload time is too long. then i said what the hell, ill use it anyway. then i got better with the barret. in time, i met kkazican, and then i copied off of him with the ruger/knife. which i wasn't too bad with cuz i had good previous expirience witht he barret with my aiming, so i was a fast learner with that. and it became my main gun. and then now, of which i use every weapon mostly except for the mini and the minimi. the END.

Famine
April 14, 2004, 11:13 pm
I first chose the spas and stuck with that for a month, then tried barret camping. Now I jsut use spas, eagles, and ruger.

?
April 15, 2004, 12:25 am
I started with the steyr, then moved to spas, then m79 and barret. I also learned how to move on the maps.

AerialAssault
April 15, 2004, 1:05 am
my first weapon i ever used were the desert eagles, this was the first time i had ever started up soldat, i didnt even really choose my weapon, i just clicked and accidently hit deagles, used those for a few spawns. i samples around with diferent guns, i didnt care too much for the autos cause i was n00b and i sucked with them. i found the barret and i used that for a long time. i even tried m79 before barret and i thought it sucked because it had to reload after each shot. so i stuck to my barret. then one time i joined a game where the barret had been disabled so i tried the MP5, i liked that and used it everynow and then. the autos i had previously tried were the AK and steyr. after a while of that i decided to go back to my barret. when one time i accidently clicked on the m79 and decided to just use it for this spawn. and i killed one person and said "omfg coo! he splatted all over!" so i used it a little more, before long i had completely forgotten about the barret. my aim with the m79 became better and better. pretty soon i was making shots from the top of the screen to the very bottom. i had great aim and i predicted enemy movements. i had still been known as soldier at that time. i went to the player menu one time when i was just lookin around. and realized "omfg u dont have to register to change ur name!" (u all know what im talking about) so i went with bloodbath and used it for a while. then i had continued to get better and better with m79, i mean Uber skillz within weeks(guess i was a natural) i was particularly skills in making great aerial shots. thats when it hit me a name that was witty, yet simple, and had a nice ring to it; AERIALASSAULT was born.

to this day im very skilled with the m79, FN minimi, SOCOM, and LAW

peemonkey
April 15, 2004, 1:11 am
i was searching the web for a"2d shooter:" (actual search words) on google, and it told me of a little program caleld Soldat 1.05b. it said it was like worms, counterstrike and whathaveyou, but i, being uninterested in stuff like that, went for only soldat.(it's all my comp can handle). it was rather fun playing against bots on HH, with my AK (and m79 when i could pick one up) but it died reletaivly soon, and i went through all those version that kept comming up what seemed weekly, and i havent strayed from my bot-killing-AK-raping-nadeicideing ways.

DrocK
April 15, 2004, 1:28 am
i started with m79 in 1.0.5b, on "chile" servers with like 300 ping "i was such a noob that i didnt even know what the ping meant so...." i played with lag, when i was a little more experienced player i started in amrican servers and other servers that had good ping, i used barret but i liked m79 more so i left the barret there.

achan1989
April 15, 2004, 1:30 am
ok i found the link to soldat on slimesports, dnt ask why. started playing just before version 115.
started out singleplayer for ages + LAN with my brother. (had only 56k crap connection)
learned how to move fast, jump, fly etc... started out with spas, got amazing with it, could hit anyone on the other side of the screen just like that.
got bored, changed to ruger, also got amazing. then M79, same thing.
also tried all other weapons, quite liked eagles and mp5.

once i got broadband (yay) i started playing online. NOW im onto using steyr which i like a lot, good with it. still ok with m79, have lost all spas skills :-(
allways playing dnagames INF server or CTF

i love soldat

DrocK
April 15, 2004, 1:54 am
o yeah i forgot to add that i used law as a secondary weapon back then, now i use all weapons [:P] specially mp5, m79, desert eagles

n00bface
April 15, 2004, 3:15 am
I used to program and run a text based rpg game that err.. i got tired of doing.. and I played Wolfenstein a lot.. then an admin in teh game that i run said he plays Soldat.. I told him Wolfenstein owned it.. then he tried wolfenstein, said soldat was better and gave me a link.. so I downloaded soldat (weee) and played for about 5 seconds.. then left and said it sucked.. then usually when he was offline i'd see the little icon on my desktop.. click.. and then it got interesting ;p

Err.. I started playing with m79 cuz it was a lot like the panzerfaust in Wolfenstein.. a "n00b" weapon that is very easy (although m79 is nothing like it, hence: ) then started using barret. lalala i joined a few clans, used barret up until 3 months before 1.2 was released when a bunch of people said barret got totally nerfed, and ruger was practically one hit kill now.. so I started using ruger.. loved it.. pwnd with it.. etc.. i still use ruger.

that fuking sniper
April 15, 2004, 8:46 am
When I started I had a crush on the Minimi, now this was in 1.0.3b and Minimi was pretty much the worst weapon in Soldat. Yet I kept a not bad average, for a newb, that is. Then it went on to AUG and AK-74 which went with me as I wanted faster gameplay and my style kept changing...

After that came the Minigun and the HK-MP5. I actually used to act stupid on ctf_viet (still remember), and stand on the angle on top of the hill with an MP5 and just randomly spray over bases. It wasnt that bad in 1.0.3b and sometimes you were lucky because your teammates would be nade spamming their base and alot of enemies would be low on health. But that didnt happen that often :P.

Then I discovered the Barret, that was very early in 1.0.5b, about 4 days after the update. I simply fell in love with it, and kept on using it. I NEVER camped with it, it was too boring for my bloodlust. Instead I tried to do a babysitting lone-wolf style, basically a guy that does what he wants to do independently from the team, but does what the team needs the most to be done at the moment. In other words, I've had great fun with it. I used to constantly win DM's with it on the old Bumpy's World, which was THE best DM server in Soldat history, hands down. A fast, tight, 6-man DM with pings of 50- is a great experience. The only challenges back there in Bumpys World were Nice Guy from SS, Foosoft from SS, and Tribal from |sexy|, with whom I joined later. A month or so after falling in love with the Barret, it was M79 time! I went on a streak with that thing, but never got to anything more than "above average", as there were truly skilled people with that thing back then. (Tribal, Spike, Chibi, Outcast, Jaz', and SoldatStriker were amazing with the M79).

It went on like that till somewhere in 1.1.3 where I decided to start using all the weapons. So I did.

But now I'm a filthy newb again.

Edit: I just read Drock's message and...What in hell are you talking about, man? There were no LAWs in 1.0.5b. LAW was implemented in 1.1.4 :S

Hercule Poirot
April 15, 2004, 9:27 am
well i order this one finnish pc magazine and i get 50mb free web space + free cd rom full of games/programs/other once in year well last year february i got that cd browse games see soldat 1.0.5b look screen of game thought "that looks fun game to play" then i played against bots first time got killed easily was thinking that it's kinda lame i didn't play soldat over 1 week then suddenly i start playing it then i discovered that i need to dl newest soldat to play it on net (which was 1.1.1 or 1.1.2 at the time) dl it and if i remember right i played my first match inf on rotmos server my name was that time Peelo :P but i changed it to Hercule Poirot after few days and i remember that i used only M79 like 1 month was pretty good on it then this one guy o/zon or something wanted me to join -[TPA]- first i didn't join after few days he whined that please please join well i join then he said that put tags on my name then after that day i didn't see that guy never again :o and asked gog who was tpa at that time where that guy goed he said that he quitted and i was like ffs :/ well i was tpa about 1 month we didn't play any cws at least i didn't know that did we play then i played about 2-3 months without any clan then (16.7.2003 :P i think) i joined to -[TRA]- it's good clan i can say ^^ i liked being there stayd tra about 4months then i decided to leave tra and join sv... yep and i was in sv about 28/29days i quitted there becouse they mainly played clanwars on weekend after 22:00 my time and i can't play on that time so i quitted was about week clanless then me, $layer & frozen decided to make clan well first it goed good then after 2 months it was like me and 1 other member was only active and 4 was inactive i was alone on irc channel :( after that time urhos & panssariankka did make this new clan which was very interesting so i killed http and joined to c'n's now it has been soon 2 months on c'n's i like to play on that clan buuuuuut now 1month soldat has been kinda gay giving access violations jammings blue screens soo i'm decided to be inactive...

guns i used mainly 1.0.5b-1.1.2 m79/socom 1.1.3-1.1.5 barret/law 1.2 ak74/law