( search forums )
Abandoned Quarter (V. 1.0, update May-11)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
grand_diablo
April 15, 2004, 12:44 am
First of all, my project "WorldScope" (see "Himalaya" map thread) is cancelled. The map got too complicated, and the sceneryfile was 12 mb (zipped!). The other problem was the damn "buginess" of the map maker, that made it impossible to continue on "WorldScope". Maybe ill make a simplified version, when i have the time and will for.
-------------

Therefore, ill be doing some easier maps, the newest one is Abandoned Quarter. Its still in beta stage, as there will be some (or many, well see) more things on this map. Its done in "city/industrial style", the place is an abandoned quarter of a big city, where crime rules the streets and everything is downcome and shabby. The gangwars also take place in the underground, the canalisation, which can be entered where the light falls through the opening in the street. Everywhere lies dirt, a wrecked car stands around. The night comes early, as the heavy smog from the industrial quarters of the city covers the sky, and only few sunrays pass them. Its dangerous during the day, but when it gets dark, always hold your weapons ready in the Abanoned Quarter...

Screenshot: www.marketzone.de/files/AbandonedQuarter.jpg
Scenery: www.marketzone.de/files/AbandonedQuarter_scenery.rar
Map: www.marketzone.de/files/AbandonedQuarter.PMS

great waypoints by Holden!

Changelog 0.8 - 1.0
-------------------
+ fixed a polybug
+ increased space between pipes slightly
+ Waypoints by Holden

Changelog 0.7 - 0.8
-------------------
- fixed another jumpy poly
- added the "_miniscraper" house
- added pipes in the underground

as I didnt think of the pipes after making the scenerypack for 0.7, you have to redownload the scenerypack. Im sorry about that, but 685 kb arent the world (even for ISDN/56k user).

new screenshot is online

Changelog 0.6beta - 0.7 (Preview Version)
--------------
- fixed a "jumpy" poly
- added scenery to the metallic thing on the right (pls redownload the scenery file)

youll now find a _miniscraper.bmp in the sceneryfile, which will be used in the next version (so you wont have to download the sceneryfile again in V0.8x)

new screenshot is online

DrocK
April 15, 2004, 1:38 am
looks like a pretty good map, original and creative.. gj

peemonkey
April 15, 2004, 3:09 am
...mmmmmmmmokay

GluLm
April 15, 2004, 3:21 am
It looks ok, but those buildings are weird... almost ugly I'd say.
That grey thing on the right doesn't look too good either,
you could have added some background to it, or some windows and stuffs...
Damn! Those buildings... blah.
I know what you will reply anyway, something like "I did it on purpose", so okay whatever.
Those lights come from a street where there is no light at all (compared to the underground).
Still good job for making maps that use that much of sceneries.

Haro1121
April 15, 2004, 3:23 am
yet again another awsome looking map from Grand Diablo GJ man once again

Holden
April 15, 2004, 7:05 am
Very nice, as your other maps. =).

n00bface
April 15, 2004, 8:23 am
I would've downloaded your other map if it was good.. and it sounded like it was :( this one is okay, though.. buildings are kinda.. wooo..

grand_diablo
April 15, 2004, 11:08 am
quote:Originally posted by GluLm
It looks ok, but those buildings are weird... almost ugly I'd say.
That grey thing on the right doesn't look too good either,
you could have added some background to it, or some windows and stuffs...

If you mean that metal-construction thingy: Itll be replaced/enhanced soon [;)]

quote:
Damn! Those buildings... blah.

You mean the background? Or what exactly?

quote:
I know what you will reply anyway, something like "I did it on purpose", so okay whatever.

m open for constructive criticism. If you connect this to the ctf_sentinels thread: Sentinels was meant to look weird [;)]

quote:
Those lights come from a street where there is no light at all (compared to the underground).

Lamps are gonna be added [:)]

quote:
Still good job for making maps that use that much of sceneries.

Thkx dude [:)]

DaRabman
April 15, 2004, 2:16 pm
It's not too bad, I'm not so much hung up about the buildings but the map seems a little simple. If you made it longer with tunnels, extra secnery, streets, interactive buildings, that would be cool. Not to plug my maps, but I made one a while ago as my first map called cityfight and is in the same kind of ilk. Here.
Sam.

grand_diablo
April 15, 2004, 6:08 pm
Preview Version 0.7 is now online

Changelog -> see main posting

Soulsnipa
April 15, 2004, 6:21 pm
Custom scenery=sux

grand_diablo
April 15, 2004, 7:09 pm
quote:Originally posted by Soulsnipa
Custom scenery=sux

a) Explain
b) Criticise in a constructive way (define what u dont like and why). "Custom sceneery=sux" isnt even critizising in any way, its just 100% spam.

(you *might* express your opinion in more than 3 words...)

grand_diablo
April 20, 2004, 4:52 pm
New version (V0.8) is online!

I added some nice things and debugged a bit (see changeglog in main posting). Enjoy [:)]

blackdevil0742
April 20, 2004, 6:05 pm
Nice map

Holden
May 11, 2004, 7:27 pm
I got around to waypointing this one as well. I don't claim to be some sort of good waypointer or anything, but at least I tried with them. These bots actually work stable around 80-85% of the time, and if you have atleast 2, they will solve their problems anyhow. =). Still, better than no waypoints at all...or so I hope.

grand_diablo, I put a demo.sdm-file inside the .zip, so you can see one of the bots in action. You can try to fiddle with the place he gets stuck on (underneat the pipe in the middle), but the only solution I found was to delete his right-going, and I thought that kind of sucked, so I kept it, bots only get stuck sometimes.

Even nicer map now, but my game says it can not find the sceneryfile for the tunnel-entrance-lights. Ah well, still good. Take it easy. And bring me more maps to waypoint [;)]. =D.

DOWNLOAD ZIP: [URL]

Rambo_6
May 11, 2004, 7:46 pm
Not baaad...

Looks like a shopper map from Worms world Party... [:p]

grand_diablo
May 11, 2004, 8:59 pm
Thkx again Holden

btw. this is not waypointing what you do, this is art! [:)]

I fixed a polybug and enlarged the space between the pipes a bit by increasing poly size. Bots still have probs there, but come through more often.

Version 1.0 is online, of course i added your name to the map title.

Holden
May 12, 2004, 8:33 am
Yeah, I tried to tweak the bot but I didn't really get it good, and I didn't want to fiddle with your polygon-placement. =D. Thanks for the positive comments.

KnOt
May 12, 2004, 12:14 pm
This looks so much like a map that Chakra and Squal had started once, but never quite finished.. It looks hot, but the game play isn't that flashy..