( search forums )
Googles new email - 1 gig of space!!!
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
DeafBox
April 17, 2004, 7:59 am
http://gmail.google.com

Mate sent me the link. U get 1 gig of space for all your emails and they never delete it. o and its FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![:D][:D][:D]
Sounds like to awesome to be true so it probably is.
U cant get it yet, but u can sign up and join the mailing list.
Looks good... alot better than hotmail, but honestly i reckon there will be a catch.
O well, time will tell.

Captain RibMan
April 17, 2004, 9:00 am
that looks awesome

i joined the mailing list too

palloco
April 17, 2004, 11:02 am
Oh man, had yuo been reading the news lately? The reason why they give you so much free is because they will analyze all your mails ... legally!(Not like those illegal scanner that can read your mails) It is still a must have but I will take care of people who use it and which mails do I send with it.

b00stA
April 17, 2004, 1:32 pm
First of all, you don't get 1 gigabyte space.. "only" 1000mb. 24mb missing for one gigabyte.
and as palloco said, they parse all your emails and place advertisings next to the mails..
there have been "protests" against gmail because of privacy rights etc.

Edit: I think they said somewhere that they preserve the right to SAVE the emails you delete. ie you delete them and cant see them anymore, but they're still on their servers.

n/a
April 17, 2004, 2:16 pm
well, but it's good for filetransfers by email... you can use your gmail-address for all big attachments...

Drama
April 18, 2004, 12:05 am
google is going to be similar to microsoft

BManx2000
April 18, 2004, 12:10 am
Except without the operating system and softawre line and everything else related to microsoft :P

BMF
April 18, 2004, 1:19 am
for 1000mb they can read my emails all day.

DeafBox
April 18, 2004, 2:40 am
quote:First of all, you don't get 1 gigabyte space.. "only" 1000mb. 24mb missing for one gigabyte.

OMFG!!!!!!!!!! THATS IT!!!!!!! IM NOT PUTTING UP WITH THIS [:-censored]!!!!!!! 24MB SHORT!!!!!!!! FUK THAT!!!!!!!
dude, who cares about 24megs when uve got the best part gig?

Yeah like i said, i didnt find this it was sent to me. So i wouldnt be surprised if they read ur emails and target adds at ya.

BMF
April 18, 2004, 4:49 am
b00sta stop bitching

gi.joe
April 18, 2004, 5:21 am
wow that looks pretty mean, i mite sign up when it comes out

Duke33
April 18, 2004, 6:41 am
I wouldnt use it for really personal stuff, but hell...1 gigabyte. I agree with BMF. Besides, don't think that the internets all private, otherwise. All of your email can be read, if someone wanted to. But theres billions of messages and no one really bothers. Anyways, Ill see how it plays out.

palloco
April 18, 2004, 10:22 am
Of course they are not gonna read them... unless US government seeks you, but they will have word filters, something you can avoid using l33t language... or maybe not lol

b00stA
April 18, 2004, 11:52 am
Just telling you the facts..

"Google understands that privacy is important to you. You do, however, agree that Google may monitor, edit or disclose your personal information, including the content of your emails, if required to do so in order to comply with any valid legal process or governmental request (such as a search warrant, subpoena, statute, or court order), or as otherwise provided in these Terms of Use and the Gmail Privacy Policy."

Anyway.. do they provide POP3/SMTP access? I don't think so.. 1000MB worth of mails, managed via a browser. No, thanks.

Aquarius
April 18, 2004, 12:06 pm
I don't need 1000 MB. 20 MB is enough for me. Even 10 MB would be enough, but I have 20 MB.

Cookie.
April 18, 2004, 5:24 pm
Google is teh best microsoft offered 10 billion for them :P and they turned it town i sign up for mailing list now

Dark_Noddy
April 18, 2004, 8:53 pm
Web mail suX anyway... Get a pop3 mail then U got like... Ur HD to fill up ^^

Hitman
April 18, 2004, 8:56 pm
Yep, that's what I've got. I get my Hotmail e-mails through Opera. Sexeh!

cup_of_squirrels
April 19, 2004, 4:55 pm
Stupid google D:. I think i'll stick with Hotmail. At least then I can send hate mail to my enemies in peace. sheesh.

And Hitman, I do exactly that too. Hooray for Opera pop3 e-mail ^^

Josh1l6
April 19, 2004, 8:21 pm
All that space would be pointless if the attachment size allowance isn't huge. Like being able to send entire programs by email.