( search forums )
Automatic weapon balancing
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Aspa
April 19, 2004, 4:27 pm
I heard there'll be some kind of weapon editor for servers sometime in the future, which gave me an idea:

Servers that automatically balance weapons based on statistics.
For example, if 80% of the kills are with barrets, the server will gradually and carefully nerf the barret until the barret kill ratio goes down.

This would require very careful balancing, but I think it could make the gameplay much more interesting.

Discuss.

cup_of_squirrels
April 19, 2004, 4:59 pm
That is the best thought i've heard on the wepaons editor I've heard. Hooray for aspa!

kevith
April 19, 2004, 6:20 pm
lol I thought this was going to be a complaint about autos being too weak or too strong [:p] Well, I'm not really sure how this could really be possible, but it's an interesting idea. My only real complaint is that do we really want the weapons all to be balanced? Even if they are balanced, most of it revolves around individual skill. A certain gun in one person's hands may be incredible, whereas if used by another less-skilled person, it may be a pretty useless weapon. If somebody comes on to the server and just slaughters everybody with deagles, he is going to be punished for it, while someone who sucks with them would be receiving 'help' from the server to even the playing field. It kind of reminds me of CPU Assist on certain sports games where if one team is getting blown out, the CPU intervenes and makes the leading team miss every shot while their opponent can't miss. I guess it does encourage people to vary their weapon selection though.

Subslider
April 19, 2004, 6:21 pm
lol..well yea it does make sense..

Hooray!..

The Noid
April 19, 2004, 10:41 pm
Since servers have a set max of people, lets say its set to 12. So its ctf, each team has 6 people and only 2 barrets are allowed on each team. If you can figure out how to balance it this way there will be balance and no one will complain.

DrocK
April 20, 2004, 4:44 am
its pretty good idea, i dont think barretards will

Element_101
April 20, 2004, 5:46 am
You cant nerf the barret to not kill someone in one shot it would make the gun crap and no one would use it

Aspa
April 20, 2004, 10:18 am
But then when nobody uses the barret, it will automatically get more powerful, until someone figures out it's one-shot kill again.

The point is, people have to change their weapons sometimes if they want to not suck.

Bugs Revenge
April 20, 2004, 10:41 am
the automatics r fine

only the mp5 is lil over powered :O

stealthy
April 20, 2004, 5:50 pm
quote:Originally posted by The Noid
Since servers have a set max of people, lets say its set to 12. So its ctf, each team has 6 people and only 2 barrets are allowed on each team. If you can figure out how to balance it this way there will be balance and no one will complain.

I really like this idea. It has already seen a lot of success in Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. On top of that, it is a way of bringing weapon balance without actually changing weapon stats.

quote:Originally posted by Bugs Revenge
the automatics r fine

only the mp5 is lil over powered :O

Yeah, but I think that the mp5's lack of accuracy more than make up for its strengths.

palloco
April 20, 2004, 9:49 pm
It is a nice idea, at that way players will be forced to learn every wepon or just be nerfed. Much more fun with every weapons used.

wert21
April 20, 2004, 10:26 pm
Aspa, nice idea, it's the only way to really balance the weapons.

i was watching at your avatar...is it an sg? mmm,i don't like it...

BMF
April 21, 2004, 1:28 am
Autos are so strong because the barret is over powered. Until the barret is removed completely from Soldat, automatic weapons will remain overpowered.

Mielos
July 26, 2004, 11:05 am
Nice Idea for public servers :) , would keep the fun in it , when people can't keep using the same weapon all the time

AerialAssault
July 27, 2004, 3:59 am
quote:Originally posted by Element_101
You cant nerf the barret to not kill someone in one shot it would make the gun crap and no one would use it
i dont see a problem here

liquidis x snake
July 27, 2004, 4:08 am
Sounds good but only if it's as a server option.

If this was implemented as "law" then I'd /mercy myself.

CbbLe
July 27, 2004, 7:03 am
Don't like the idea...let people use whatever they like.

You can already deactivate guns on your server..so why would you need this option?

Denacke
July 27, 2004, 12:50 pm
I don't think you'd have to "nerf" it.
It'd create a bunch of confusion and frustration (at least it would for me) if suddenly you'd have to do 2 shots instead of one which would bring you totally out of direction :P. On top of that i suppose that the server would get laggier for all the extra information about the nerfings and such.

Something i'm more positive for is the limiting of how many users can use it, like has been suggested before.
That way there is also a sort of "forced" variety in a less complicated way. Without having to change weapon specifics and all. At the same time that will decrease the barret "problem" like your idea. And also, there isn't as much server traffic needed for that either (normally ;) )

sativa
July 27, 2004, 2:24 pm
yes denacke but kevith already said that so... but you are right

Sekushi
July 27, 2004, 7:00 pm
It sounds like an okay idea, but only if it was a server option like liquidis said.

aapo
August 8, 2004, 1:31 pm
There is a huge problem with the "only x Barrets per team" -idea. Who would be using it? Barret is overpowered in the hands of a skilled player, but average at best when used by a camping n00b who misses nearly every shot. Maybe people would be constantly arguing who has the most skill to make use of it, or maybe people would disconnect after realizing there are no Barrets left.

Vassili_Zaitsev
August 9, 2004, 9:39 am
quote:Originally posted by The Noid

have you ever played the game america's army? sounds like getting close to being a copy to me.
i think the who balancing idea shouldnt be done...
i like the wapons and balancing them would be a sort of...eh..'pathetic' move by the anti-campers/barret people. (which of course i find rediculus)
the weapons are pretty eaven anyway.

Element_101
August 9, 2004, 10:35 am
quote:Originally posted by AerialAssault

Well thats because your retared.

If you dont see that making one weapon totally crap screws up the system then you must be (no offecnce). No matter what happens there always going to be a overpowered gun, nerfing the barrett is not going to do much except make a lot of people leave soldat..

Yin_Starrunner
August 9, 2004, 11:43 pm
quote:Originally posted by AerialAssault

You act like you want the barret to just be destroyed totally.

I love the barret, but only for sniping, whihc is what it was made for.
What about all us campers, huh?

Vassili_Zaitsev
December 20, 2004, 10:20 am
sounds like an almost impossibly hard idea to implement and your pnishing people for doing well.