( search forums )
10 Tips For the Modern Newbie
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Moser
April 20, 2004, 3:18 am
Just need some serious tips on how to survive Soldat, for I am a rookie.

n00bface
April 20, 2004, 3:19 am
only use barret and always join bravo if the teams are uneven on either side :)

N1nj@
April 20, 2004, 3:31 am
use minigun whenever someone say lag!

Element_101
April 20, 2004, 3:40 am
Dont join these forums there already to corupt and you will be sucked in and drained of all life...

DT
April 20, 2004, 3:48 am
yea....... uh.... brains.... i.... n...e...e...d.....B.R.A.I.N.S.

Element_101
April 20, 2004, 4:01 am
SEE SEE!!!

nekon
April 20, 2004, 4:03 am
I do also :S

Moser
April 20, 2004, 4:05 am
well, i said serious, but all comments are welcome....

nekon
April 20, 2004, 4:06 am
Ohh by the way. Could u be able to play this game on a 200mhz system?

AerialAssault
April 20, 2004, 4:27 am
use any weapon except barret and youll be fine

DrocK
April 20, 2004, 4:31 am
ask your mom for dsl or go to work to pay dsl monthly or whatever plan u choose

n00bface
April 20, 2004, 5:09 am
quote:Originally posted by Moser

I was serious.. barret is 1 hit kill and has a scope so you can snipe people.. and bravo always has the terrain advantage and it's easier for a right handed person to trave from bravo side to alpha side :)

Element_101
April 20, 2004, 5:18 am
quote:Originally posted by Moser

Yeah soz ok serious, Make sure if you can get a ADSL connecion or better 56k (which I have) is unplayable well for me anyway

Also just so you know if you use the barret you will probably get flamed

societies_punishment
April 20, 2004, 5:47 am
All you gotta know is theres people that make fun of you no matter what weapon you use. Therefore Punishments lesson #1 use any weapon you want, if they call you a barratard of something to that extent then they are getting owned and are whining.

There are assholes of all kinds on Soldat, that will kick you from a server with a stupit ...or no reason at all, this happens all the time heres an example.
(a$$hole host)- later fag
Tsp2|S.Punishment - ?
(a$$hole host)- I'm kicking you
Tsp2|S.Punishment- why
(a$$hole host)- because you suck
Tsp2|S.Punishment- but i won
**** short time passes
(a$$hole host) face it mate your suck
**** Then I got banned
Although I was a little bitter, I just joined another server and completly disreguarded what the moron said... so Punishments lesson #2
ignore these jerks join another server, in fact take pride that you got kicked because you were owning their a$$. If you can, type something like "I dont wanna play with a n00b like you anyway!" and just leave before they ban you, it's more fun that way.

A half decent computer is nice to have for Soldat but you really, REALLY need highspeed if you ever wanna play seriously, thats Punishments lesson 3.

Some of people on the forums are diehard-think-they-are-right-no-matter-what-know-it-all-losers. You will find out soon enough. They will look through you replies for one little spelling mistake or you will double post and instead of showing you the edit feature they will insult you about it, or worse yet you prove a point and there's a select few assholes that follow you around trying to prove you wrong all the time, best not to argue with them, I know that now becuase they are probly like nice years old and listen no more to you, then their own parents, they are just immature don'd bother sinking to their level. Thats a very important lesson #4

Don't bother with lesson #5 (<----- it just takes up space)

Punishments lesson #6 register soldat ... it's the cheapest thing you can buy in the world and you will support the creator Micheal [:D] right now hes starveing over there, where ever the hell he lives he needs your help ... you must think of the children ... but seriouly if you like the game and you register then he will release new versions faster because he is enthused and motivated ... plus you get more stuff if you register.

Heres the best way to do it if you need help from you parents, ask them this exactly.

"Mom can you buy me this game, it's really kewl"
(your mother)"ANOTHER GAME? WHAT DO YOU THINK IM MADE OF MONEY? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU!!!!!"
"Its only nine dollars" **use the puppy eyes and the pouting lip**
(your mother)"HOLY [:-censored] NINE DOLLARS!!!! Thats off the hook"

She will then pay for it in any way you wish, if not, demand a PS2 and all the games for it until she submits.

Lesson 7 - you should practice, I suggest at least 5 times a week online and then join a clan when you are good enough, you can enjoy the game better that way and learn so much more.

Lesson 8 - There is not 10 tips there is only 9 [:D]

Lesson 9 - If you are forced to play on dial up there are certain things you must do to reduce lag and use certain dial up stratagies and the you can replace me as the best dial up player on Soldat ... I could tell you BUT I'M NOT GONNA!!!

BWAHAHAHA .... AHAHAHAAHAHA ***does super villain pose*** BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ***disappears in a ploom of smoke***

Element_101
April 20, 2004, 5:51 am
Wow how long did that take you thats a [:-censored] load of writing, I read a little bit Its basic stuff but I guess it could help noobs

societies_punishment
April 20, 2004, 6:10 am
That was the whole point he asked for ten tips.... and I managed to throw in some comic relief for his reading enjoyment. [:D] anywho that should get him started

that fuking sniper
April 20, 2004, 7:30 am
The only advice I can give you is not to listen to advices :P

By that I mean dont listen to people who say "Well use this weapon and you will be fine"; or "Use anything but that weapon and you will be set". I mean, if you want to experience Soldat, go with yourself. Do what *you* want. The best playing advice is often learned by yourself from experience. Dont waste your time on what other people say.

Soulsnipa
April 20, 2004, 8:03 am
Three Phases to your road to success.

Phase 1:Best advice would be to first get yourself used to the controls of the game, find a weapon you are going to use. A lot of people complain if you use barret, so If you were to start early on other weapons such as deagles, and grow on that, you should turn out fine.
I personally would suggest starting with deagles/ruger or even m79. Learn the physics, and play vs bots.

Phase2:After you have learned the basics, and have an idea of "your" weapon. Go try some of the public servers. Usually the ones with lower ping, and more "different" names are the ones you want to try. Here you can practice your skills, on other real life people. You never know some servers are hard, some are easy, but eventually most of them all become easy. Just takes time. After you see yourself at the top of these servers continue to Phase 3.

Phase3: If you havent found a clan by now, try to look out for one. You should have a favorite weapon(s) and should be quite decent by now. Most clans will recruit you if you impress them in any way. Try to make it into a clan that has a good structure/leader and participates and is in a league (or will be). You also want to start playing on the tougher servers. Most of these are .coms or official servers/ ones with high ping .

Suggestions:
DNA games ctf/inf
Ultimate 13
Llama's uber server
Selfkill
etc.......

Hope this helps. You dont have to follow this structure however I would advise you to do something similar. Good luck, and remember that practice makes perfect. The more you play the better you get.

SuperKill
April 20, 2004, 12:11 pm
as f*cking sniper said..
dont listen to advices, people here are chatting more then they play (yeye says the guy with the 1500 posts)
play on your own.. you'll get used to the game x]

Major Pissant
April 20, 2004, 12:38 pm
Listen to your inner voice and just ignore everyone who says anything about which weapon or team you should choose.

cup_of_squirrels
April 20, 2004, 2:02 pm
/me eats his foot

Everyone in this forum is sane ^^

Tip: Never ever ever kill me, it will only result in me pwning you for eternity. Oh and dont barret assualt.

DT
April 20, 2004, 2:11 pm
Tip#1= Use Dagles thier well rounded for many situations and reload quite fast but its up to you to pick your weapon.[:P]
Tip#2= run and move alot use jumping to help increase your speed.
Tip#3= Use your Jetpack alot and make sure you have some fuel left to always fight a enemy(for some reason your dodge fire easier and more often.[;)])
Tip#4=Customize your char make him look kool.
Tip#5=Choose a good Sec Weapon like the powerful LAW Its like a rocket Launcher and good for killing campers behind some rocks[^].
Tip#6=Always be alert never slack of or the enemy will get you
Tip#7=sometimes its a good idea to hide and ambush ppl[xx(].
Tip#8=Use teamwork cuz it will help you win the game.
Tip#9=Eat Ravioli.
Tip#10=REGISTER!

wert21
April 20, 2004, 2:17 pm
Eat ravioli? bah...

societies_punishment
April 20, 2004, 5:40 pm
I should perhaps explain my opinion on the weapons more...

seriously use any weapon you like even the minigun becuase players like me dont give a [:-censored] what gun you use, we just find a way to kill you [:D]

your gonna get made fun of thee most for the barret and the minigun

The barret is one of those guns that are supremly annoying to get killed by because your victum has been shot and doesn't know where from and if you are good enough, it will happen again and again and again until they resort to childish name calling, so by all means use the barret if they whine about it then they are skilless losers.

The minigun is sorta .... dumb I don't consider it a gun but a tool but like I said use any gun .... but in my opinion it has it's place, for example I use it in the rare occation I know that the flag is comming to the base and I need to defend (but there are other guns for that too)...or you may not be able to get through the enemy, they are dug in to well, ok use the mini to get up in the air and infeltrate from the air. don't relay on it to much, it's really not that accurate.
but they are as annoying as the barret because it laggs people with slower computers and/or poor internet. Just to be safe never use a minigun in a clan match or if you are in a recuiteing server.

I like the minigunners they reveal their location so easyly and the barret people often stay in one place so they are sitting ducks becuase the best way to avoid my shot is move if you are not moveing then I can hit you 100 percent because ping is no longer a factor when you don't move.

I suggest useing the desert eagles the barret the rugar and m79 they are very effective weapons

being on dial up I have found the best balance for me

barret - for secondary weapon use socom ( the barret is a one shot reload weapon if you equip the law you have only one more shot and you have to reload again I suggest you use the soccom or chainsaw with the barret because you have a secondary that uses multiple fire. )

I use the m79, it has the sure shot accuracy but has the falloff if you get used to the falloff it's a very effective weapon. once again i would use the socom with this.

I personally don't use the rugar that much on dial up, it takes 2 shots to kill someone and on dial up, players are never where they seem to be, seeing how it only uses four shots it's hard for me to use the rugar .. you'll see what I mean. it reloads fast enough to use any secondary weapon.

desert eagles .. I was super sick as hell with these in the last version ... for some reason im not as good maybe I need to pratice more ..meh they are good weapons good fireing rate reload rate fireing stregth.

when ever I use the law, I switch to it right off the start and only stay and defend, I wait for a sweet target and BOOM then toss it and switch to the other gun ... if you managed to kill the guy switch back and pick up his weapon if you want because you have tossed away the Law (becuase it takes to long to reload). There you go, now your dangerous you have a (hypetherical situation) FN minime that you started out with and a law, kill the enemy holding the barret and take it, you know can attack with your enemy's barret in hand and if you miss you have the ever leathel FN minime as a secondary.[:D]

The spaz isn't that bad either use this if you have accuracy problems because of coruse buckshot fans out.

FN minime - althought not many people use this in previous versions, I have had the most experince useing it, I used it in clan {gReb} ... I have a unique persective on that weapon and call my self the best at it .... I could share it's secrets with you, BUT IM NOT!!!!!

BWAHAHAAHAH ... HAAHAHAHAAHA ***does super villain pose ...again***
AHAHAHAHAHA ***disapears in a ploom of smoke ... again***

DT
April 20, 2004, 6:18 pm
quote:Eat ravioli? bah...
You dare mock RAVIOLI![:-weepn]ARG
DON'T MAKE ME SEND A PICTURE OF MY BUTT CAUSE THAT BREAKS SCREENS AND WINDOWS!

wert21
April 20, 2004, 6:49 pm
I still don't understand, fool.

BManx2000
April 20, 2004, 7:38 pm
Mmm, ravioli...

AerialAssault
April 20, 2004, 8:47 pm
societies punishment is a fool in so many ways, he doesnt use commas, he misspells minimi, he make a mockery of minigun because he doesnt know how to use it right, he thinks people who whine about barret assaulters are skilless losers(very untrue, the barret is a very overpowered weapon and to assault with it IS unfair) and he says LAW takes to long to load(it doesnt take that long :/) and of all the terrible things, he MOCKS THE GREAT RAVIOLI?!?!!?!? i say hang him by the balls

?
April 20, 2004, 9:43 pm
Graham's nugget of joy:

Don't read stupid threads about how not to be a newbie. Most of the time they are made by idiots anyway..... *cough*

poyi19920624
April 21, 2004, 12:11 am
-Use your favote weapon, I suggest styer aug for newbie because it shot stright.
-Run fast, by jumpiong.
-Move in unexcepot direction. EX: Prone suddenly, your speed decrease in mid air, enenme miss.
-Depend on what side you are good with, choose your team. ctf_kampf, red have lot of advangtage.
-Hide when you have low health.
-If primery weapon is realoding, use your sec.
-Be aleart of nade, is hard to notice it.
-Be crazy
-Be good, don't say something like 'you cheater' when they are not cheating
-help your teammate

Cookie.
April 21, 2004, 3:44 am
play version 1.1.4 and use a chainsaw!!!! :)

Weed
April 21, 2004, 4:14 am
vest advice i can give you... even tho no one gave it to me, and i feel sorry for that...
the advice is: Turn around and run away. stop playing the game! it will take control of your mind and turn you into a CS hating zombie...
there is no going back for me... but im trying to save some good young souls!!!!!
bla bla blabla, bla bla, blalblabla bla bla blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

AllanXtreme
April 21, 2004, 4:16 am
quote:Originally posted by DT

Tip#9=Eat Ravioli.

Best tip ever... Thats why I can't win.

My Tip: Dont get mad at barrets.

societies_punishment
April 21, 2004, 6:01 am
quote:Originally posted by AerialAssault
societies punishment is a fool in so many ways, he doesnt use commas, he misspells minimi, he make a mockery of minigun because he doesnt know how to use it right, he thinks people who whine about barret assaulters are skilless losers(very untrue, the barret is a very overpowered weapon and to assault with it IS unfair) and he says LAW takes to long to load(it doesnt take that long :/) and of all the terrible things, he MOCKS THE GREAT RAVIOLI?!?!!?!? i say hang him by the balls

*smacks forehead* Why do you gotta go do that man, I'm not a fool, get you vision checked, I used plently of commas, ands, buts, therefores, becuases and whatever the hell else you didn't bother reading. Oh and I'm sorry I won't spell minimi wrong again.. as if it MATTERED, now if I mispelled the entire paragraph then you can bitch.
Oh wait you did that for me. Seems to me you spelled "doesn't" wrong twice and you forgot to capitalize an "I" and there should be a period after balls. I really do hate it when people correct me like that don't do it again pls, especially if your gonna make a hypacrite of yourself. You know, I try to be nice to people but then someone chimes in with the insults .. lets get back on topic, THANK YOU, if you wanna keep that crap up, go to the counter strike forums.

So then, you make fun of me because how I use the minigun ... pul-ezz thats how I use it .. if I ever use it that much... WHO CARES...
Fine then, the barret is over powered, go cry in the corner, while you are all crying about the barret, I will have shot him already and then get killed at their base because my much needed backup is crying about the [:-censored]ing barret...

The law does take to long to reload .. in MY opinion because I can just pick up a barret, that I just got from the guy I killed and use it instead, which is much more effective. Shoot once and throw it away, I don't have time for it's reloading bull[:-censored], I'm going after the flag.

I love ravioli, I don't know what your takeing about [:D]

Weed
April 21, 2004, 6:12 am
he just has a crash on you...

societies_punishment
April 21, 2004, 6:29 am
you mean a crush ... maybe .. it just inrages me when people come up to you when your trying to help someone an start insulting you FOR NO [:-censored]ING REASON .... DIE

/me starts chokeing aerial assault

Weed
April 21, 2004, 9:08 am
well
i actually can see many reasons to insult you :D
but im too tired for it now... btw, i hope you kill Aerial Assault...

Element_101
April 21, 2004, 12:06 pm
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!

DT
April 21, 2004, 1:36 pm
I say a mudfight with societies_punishment and AerialAssault.....
that will solve the answer.... whatever it was

SuperKill
April 21, 2004, 4:32 pm
AerialAssault you stupid whining whore why wont you stfu ?

Alamo
April 21, 2004, 6:06 pm
How not to be a noob... Hard question. I don't think there are any 'real' tips. I think you should just start playing with bots, pick your favourite gun (I took Minimi/M79 back in 105b but times change.... switched to Barret/M79 but i keep loving my Minimi) and practice a little. Everyone has it's one style and tactics... Just play and have fun and... REGISTER! ;) Well... have fun (and use search before you post in suggestions forum or you'll gonna get lynched ;)

poyi19920624
April 21, 2004, 6:20 pm
Ruger kill with 3, lucky with 2. Use knife as sec if you use ruger. If you use ruger, join a clan witch use alto or all ruger. All ruger, all de, a ruger and all alto is anooying. Trust me. When alto reduce your health, ruger 1 shot kill. For de, you can get killed by 1 sec when you see the enemies, their will be like 4 shot hit you at once. Spaz is good, but short range, so be sure to practice spaz alot. It is useful, it stop enemies from advancing fast you can even stop a minigunner.
Mini isn't that bad. Oncee I saw a ppl with mini, he is so good with it, he use it as his normal weapon. It is danger. LOL

societies_punishment
April 21, 2004, 7:05 pm
/me stops chokeing aerial assault

mud fight it is ...

/me starts chokeing him again in the mud

kevith
April 21, 2004, 8:27 pm
Ok... after following this thread all day I'm going to give you the best advice to survive your noobhood (nuberty?): Quit reading the forums and GO PLAY SOLDAT!!!

April 21, 2004, 8:56 pm
Ten tips from moi! (That's french for me by the way.)
Tip the first: It's never too early to start using the barret. Play a few small zombie games with it to give you better aim.
Tip two: Games are not only won by skill with weapons, it's a good idea to use some psychology (weee big words!). If being chased, whip out your knife or whatever powerful weapon you happen to have, and hit them in the face.
Tip three: Try not to use similar primary and secondary weapons. Desert Eagles and Socom won't save you in a fight with a stat gun. Spas and law, however, being useful for different jobs, can tear a whole team apart if used correctly.
Tip four: Change your playing style often. If you keep doing the exact same thing, people are going to suss you out and own your repetetive ass. After using the barret for a while, people won't expect you to leap at them with an MP5.
Tip five: In team games, it helps to talk. Bind some tactical teamchat to your alt+'s, so that when there is a stalemate, don't be clueless as to where the flag is.
Tip six: Move quickly. When travelling across long bumpy terrain, jumping and rolling almost always gets you to your destination faster than jetting all the way.
Tip seven: When starting a large DM, use the knife. You may start in a small crowd of players, and quickly knifing some people will give you a very nice starting advantage.
Tip eight: Tactical loitering. Defending. Searching for pennies in the grass. Whatever people call it, it's still camping. And it is good. If your team mates assault the enemy and leave your base open to attack, it's best to stay and keep watch, as anyone can waltz in and do what they like if there's nobody home.
Tip nine: Grenades! Use them sparingly, as you never know when you may need them. Throwing four grenades into a hole does little more damage than two grenades.
Tip ten: Flame god is lame, all the other bonuses are ace. If you are given a choice between getting predator or bezerk, get predator, and camp next to the bezerk box. Anyone tempted by it will be shot in the eyes.

Well, since ten tips were requested, that's all you get. And ravioli is great.

societies_punishment
April 22, 2004, 6:07 am
quote:Originally posted by kevith
(nuberty?)

Nice, lol I'm gonna right that one down...

but ya, now you have some stuff to go on Moser, so go play and experiment and kill and enjoy.[:D]

Element_101
April 22, 2004, 9:56 am
quote:Originally posted by societies_punishment
[quote]Originally posted by kevith
(nuberty?)

Mmm yes umm ok il just be walking away very slowly now!

Major Pissant
April 22, 2004, 10:01 am
You go girl!!!

Moser
April 22, 2004, 10:47 pm
Ok, first of all I'm not trying to become not a noob anymore. I just want to become a good noob, by taking advice from you all great players. Punishment Societies, thanks for the great advice, even though many contradict him. The Minimi spelling is a little strange, but I refer to it as the M249 SAW, because I do know my weapons. I believe the M79 is too old. Michael should replace it with a M4/M203 combination. The M82A1 is a sweet rifle, but too long to reload. The M72 Law rockets are great, no problems with that. The Spaz 12 is awesome, become pretty good with it. The Ruger 77 is a powerful,fast loading hunting rifle that I would take anytime. The XM214 Minigun is very intimidating, but a M136 minigun should be included for it is very dangerpous with its 100 rounds a sec fire rate(melting barrels is common). The knife is very useful. The Ak-74 (yes, its right, not the Ak-47) is a great improvement of the ancient 47 model. The Steyr Aug is ok, kinda useful if you feel like using it. The MP5, HK5, whatever you want to call it, is very wonderful with its wonderful fire rate, just don't get caught in the crossfire reloading it. Like one said the Desert Eagles are very flexible in different areas of combat, which makes them a good weapon. The chainsaw makes me speechless.

More tips guys, let's keep them clean and not insult others..

societies_punishment
April 23, 2004, 2:42 pm
I like moser he seems like a real kewl dude, its nice to see a change in the forums as well ... theres alot less flameing ... THIS IS GREAT!

hmmm anymore tips lets see .... I will be back later

April 23, 2004, 4:04 pm
^ Agrees
Although, Moser, there is no such thing as a good noob. A good newb, maybe, but not a good noob.

?
April 23, 2004, 11:10 pm
quote:Originally posted by ?
Graham's nugget of joy:

Don't read stupid threads about how not to be a newbie. Most of the time they are made by idiots anyway..... *cough*

*sigh*

Moser
April 24, 2004, 5:06 am
Thanks societies punishment for that awesome compliment. I have to thank sticky for difference of noob and newb. Maybe these forums can help other "newbs" out...hopefully. Anymore tips?

societies_punishment
April 24, 2004, 6:12 am
Hmmm O YEAH, if you are going to play on servers perhaps you should understand better how they work ...

You should join dedicated servers they ususally run faster and if you use a program like ASE(The all seeing eye), you can tell what country they are in, the closer the server is to you, the less the lagg you will have to deal with.

If you see a person with 0 ping bragging about how good he is ... don't listen to him, he doesn't understand how playing online REALLY works becuase he will get no lagg on his end and therefore has a big advantage. People with zero ping are the hosts as well, another way to tell that a server isn't dedicated other then checking your filter.

you should practice .. well in my opinion on the internet only and not host your own server you will have no lagg and won't get the proper practise. There's nothing wrong with hosting your own server every now and again, but if your wondering why people wont join is because they hate bots, so don't play with them if you wanna have other players join.

Moser
April 24, 2004, 5:02 pm
Thanks societies punishment. Yeah, I know people brag all the time, which basically exposes their weakness, which ultimately I learn to ignore them. I'll look out for those dedicated servers. Heys guys once again thanks for the tips. I've grown to scoring 30-60 points a game in ctf. Deathmatches are still touchy for me. I need to play some infiltration.