( search forums )
Remote admin is too limited
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Server Help
Swad
April 22, 2004, 6:04 pm
I just hope I am missing something, but I don't think I am. It doesn't appear someone with remote admin has the ability to chage a maplist or to change a gametype. It seems this is restricted only to someone with direct access to the machine (so they can make changes the the mapslist.txt and soldat.ini files as well as to stop / start the server process). Is this correct? If so, is this going to change in the future? Seems pretty lame if you ask me (if this is the case). At this time I am forced to correspond through a friend who is running a soldat server for us (and has direct access to it) to change gametypes and maplists. To me this seems like it should be a basic and fundamental remote admin ability. It's a pain to have to bug him when we want to just change the gametype.

Now, am I just missing something, or is it really restrictted to this? If this is how it is right now, is anything in the works in the future to extend the remote admin ability a bit more to allow gametype changes / maplist changes to some degree?

kevith
April 22, 2004, 7:31 pm
You are right in that remote admins cannot truly change the map list or game type. There has been talk in the past of people developing programs to give a remote admin more control. One recent program in development that has been mentioned is Admin That Soldat! Will it ever work? Who knows...

Swad
April 22, 2004, 7:46 pm
I see the project is abandoned and he has left... so that's out. I may just have to wait. We may be moving our host to a different person soon. He will be able to setup ftp access to the soldat ds folder (yay--can change maplist, .ini, etc...). He also has a method to allow a specified user to run .bat / .exe files that are specified as ok. So we could use remote admin to shut down the server, make whatever changes and upload them, then use this method of starting the dedicated server, and be on our way.

Drama
April 22, 2004, 8:19 pm
http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=13147

That would rocked (was like 99% ready)