( search forums )
Auto demo-record feature
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
BManx2000
April 25, 2004, 10:51 pm
I just came up with a good idea: if soldat could automatically record a demo and keep the last 30 seconds or whatever of it at all times. If you would press a certain key, it would save the demo. I think this is a great idea because it would help you capture those oh-so-1337 moments on demo even though you didn't specifically have one recording. Of course this would be an option, maybe with a setting for how long the demo should be. I hope I explained this well enough :P

kevith
April 25, 2004, 11:47 pm
Sounds like a good enough idea... but how feasible is it? Oh well, I guess that's not really so much our problem. We just come up with the ideas.

poyi19920624
April 26, 2004, 2:33 am
"Damn, I didn't record that!" It happen to you offen, nice idea. Nv think of that, hmfo

Chakra
April 26, 2004, 2:39 am
Essential idea.

Hitman
April 26, 2004, 8:10 am
Love it. Those oh-so-1337 moments have happened quite a few times, and haven't been recorded...would have made some great footage for Movies. Anyways, only thing I'm worried about is how hard it would be to implement.

Bugs Revenge
April 26, 2004, 10:29 am
well, nice idea but...

it's realy hard to do it.. by programing at least..

try to find a way how to program it man.. kinda problem each time record new demo besides it may request realy strong system..

b00stA
April 26, 2004, 1:11 pm
wow.. I added that to my suggestion list that I'll send to Michal (the first time I proposed spect. mode and demo recording..)

It's clear that I really like this idea.. you could set the "buffer" in seconds and when you press whatever F-key is free it will save the last X seconds OR it saves the last X seconds and *continues* recording.
Press new F-key once: last X seconds and recording further..
Press F-key the second time: it stops

About the programming part.. oh well. I can think of 2 1/2 ways.
Either start recording a new demo every second. If one has exceeded the limit of X seconds it will be stopped and deleted from memory. So you would end up with X demos in your memory.. using lots of RAM. Now when you press your special F-key it uses the one that's exactly X seconds and everything continues like above.
Another variation of this could be the ability to set the interval/accuracy. For example "last 30 seconds. interval 10 seconds" so a new demo is started every 10 seconds.. this uses less memory and improves the performance.

Now the harder part for Michal: start buffering one demo, delete the first second and ADD the newest second. This is pretty hard I think, but it would be the fastest / better for performance.
Argh...
Any other ways to do this?

BlackSpear
April 26, 2004, 2:41 pm
yeah also had that idea a long while ago but forgot it hehe, so yeah I like it!

BManx2000
April 26, 2004, 11:00 pm
Well, Michal might just be able to make it so the last part of the demo is snipped every few seconds, so it's always about X seconds long... I don't imagine it would be TOO difficult to implement, but then again I have no idea how the demo recorder works :P

BlackSpear
April 26, 2004, 11:15 pm
if he would just record the whole time and just delete the last 10 seconds every 10 seconds once the match has stated for 30 seconds and save the whole demo that is still has in it's memory once you press a key it would work...

Snipedmyself
April 26, 2004, 11:24 pm
w00t! good idea but i think it's not so hard to push 1 button when you see "X seconds left"

Maggot
April 27, 2004, 6:59 pm
, I like it!

(Off-Topic: What does w00t exactly mean, I've always wondered that...)

DrocK
April 27, 2004, 8:02 pm
very nice idea
*votes*

Toni_Cicerelli
April 28, 2004, 1:12 am
My two cents: Great idea.

Hitman
April 28, 2004, 1:53 am
quote:(Off-Topic: What does w00t exactly mean, I've always wondered that...)Definition of w00t

Use that dictionary site for other words, it's very handy and has many words a normal dictionary doesn't.

Element_101
April 28, 2004, 3:12 am
This is the best idea Ive heard in a long time nice BManx2000!

DrocK
April 28, 2004, 11:05 am
it wont be bad if this comes in the next version
hehe

Major Pissant
April 28, 2004, 11:56 am
Luv d id. Hope MM will use it.

Dark_Noddy
August 14, 2004, 1:32 am
10 thumbs, 10 toes, and a third leg up for this Idea !! :P

Kazuki
August 14, 2004, 5:33 am
Wow, talk about a bump-up, lol. The idea deserves it, though.

Cold Fusion
August 14, 2004, 2:49 pm
I was going to make a new topic a couple of days back about the same thing, but now this is back up again, IT IS INDISPENSABLE.

There have been so many times that I have needed this feature and I just don't have the time or space to record every single game I play and then go through them all to find the best parts.

It simply has to be in the next version.

I will also add that pause, fastforward, rewind, all the VCR type things should also be used in the demos (as an option to display it or not), to make it that much better.

Psyl3ntShad0w
August 16, 2004, 6:29 pm
Another option I think could be Auto-Demo recording, every single time you start a game, it starts recording...so you don't have to keep pressing F8 before every map and what not...

downside to this is...file size...these things get big...and if you log every single game...it can take up a ton of space...

I often forget to start recording every game I play, you never know when something cool might happen...I've already missed most of teh cool things ive done...i don't want to miss them anymore...

I agree with cold fusion, controls(play, pause, stop, etc) for demos would be nice...I hate watching an entire demo just to see if i did anything cool, just to know i wasted 10 minutes of my life watching the worst game i've ever played...(when im cleaning up my demos)

Alamo
August 16, 2004, 9:30 pm
Yay. Really good ideas in here. Auto-Demo and VCR options have to be in the next version :D

Liber_Lupus
August 16, 2004, 10:42 pm
Thats great. Then i would never miss my very-uber-cool-kills. This defenatly has to be implented.