( search forums )
Soldat Open Source?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Arai
April 27, 2004, 3:53 am
I was wondering if Soldat's source code was ever going to be released for the modding community. I'm sure many people would love to contribute ideas of their own to the game without being limited to just changing the weapon's looks/sound. I'm also sure aspiring programmers (such as myself) would love to take a look at the masterpiece. I heard somewhere that Michal was going to release it. Is this true? Or has it been released already? Or is this all a mistake?

Chakra
April 27, 2004, 4:06 am
Michal's taking it to the grave with him. [:-censored].

BMF
April 27, 2004, 4:20 am
Chakra, you have been sort of weird lately, is everything ok?

Silent-Thunder
April 27, 2004, 4:50 am
*Group Hug* .... uh no he isn't going to release the source code not unless he wants to wreck soldat. Anyways I think you probably mistook the source code for the weapons editor but we'll see.

Element_101
April 27, 2004, 4:57 am
quote:Originally posted by BMF

Was that a joke?

Arai
April 27, 2004, 5:05 am
Hmm, maybe I was mistaking it with some sort of weapon editor. I don't think it'd wreck Soldat though. Obviously a few number of people will try and call it their own creation (maybe), but that seems impossible due to the huge Soldat community. I just think it'd be neat for more intense, detailed mods.

Element_101
April 27, 2004, 5:10 am
Yes but if you made this kick arse game (by your self) that has a hudge community and great graphics game play etc..

would you really want to risk it getting into the wrong hands I know I sure wouldnt

Drama
April 27, 2004, 10:24 am
Bmf moderator wtf ? no!

BlackSpear
April 27, 2004, 1:39 pm
maybe if he's sick and tired and quits making soldat he will, just maybe...
but don't think any sooner

Aquarius
April 27, 2004, 2:09 pm
quote:Originally posted by BMF

sweet

BTW: OT.

SanityAssassin
April 27, 2004, 3:31 pm
think of it like this arai...if he gave out the source code, imagine how many people would use that to make registration -s, maphacks, weapon hacks etc...it would ruin soldat completely

quote:Originally posted by Chakra
Michal's taking it to the grave with him. [:-censored].

TO THE [:-censored]ING GRAVE!

Deleted User
April 27, 2004, 4:04 pm
Michal has said before that he will release the source when he decides to end producing new soldat versions. I once also asked him for a cheater friendly source to be released and he said he would think about it after the 1.2 release. Hmm.

kevith
April 27, 2004, 8:14 pm
I was kind of surprised this topic wasn't locked yet with all of our new moderators on the prowl [:p]

...but I guess it did serve a purpose of sorts in that I learned something from Stalky's post.

Ivan0
April 27, 2004, 9:33 pm
Err one can release the complete source code, OR one can release parts of it, the SDK

Deleted User
April 27, 2004, 10:31 pm
kevith: Hah, the only new moderator with powers in this forum is Hitman, so you needn't worry. (Haha, I dunno about anyone else, but I've been searching around for people to intimidate with my title [:D])

Hitman
April 27, 2004, 10:41 pm
I was going to lock it, cause I had a feeling it'd turn in to a value thread. However, after Stalky's post I thought I'd see what happens..

BManx2000
April 27, 2004, 11:31 pm
An SDK would be OK down the line, when soldat is more complete, but the full source, no way EVER. If Michal were to release the source, he might as well release a bunch of trainers with it to save the hackers the trouble.

Arai
April 28, 2004, 1:21 am
Well, I understand that my plea won't be answered anytime soon. But is it not possible to make a server that would be set to the original game, or something to that effect that would save Soldat from troublemakers?

BManx2000
April 28, 2004, 1:25 am
The problem is, with the full source hackers would know exactly how to get past the anti-cheat. It would be like 1.0.5b all over again...

Element_101
April 28, 2004, 1:42 am
I dont think he should relesase a cheater friendly version that would just make the game more prone to hacks,

When he finished making versions then yeah that would be good what is the next version to be releasd anyway?

Spooky
April 28, 2004, 1:49 am
i like the idea of an opensource project for soldat.

it gives the room game to grow and be imrpoved upon by the community... and not everyone who would be writing updates would be cheaters... there's definate advantages to it.

BlackSpear
April 28, 2004, 10:09 pm
well I personaly think that when he stops development it WOULD be a good thing to release the source.
OFCOURCE lots of people will make hacks right away, but there would be new people working on it and maybe many new versions where the hacks are fixed again and surely many new games will be made based on the soldat source code. so what do you want more, a soldat with just a few hacks and that is slowly but surely dieing or a explosion of hacks when the source comes out, but there are still advances in the game and hacks removed...
think when the quake source came out is a good example... but it's still played and almost all hacks are fixed and people are STILL working on it eventhough it's so damn old...
good gameplay never dies IF there is still development.

Michal Marcinkowski
April 29, 2004, 11:30 am
When I stop making Soldat I'll probably release the source code. Even if it is the old 1.05b.
Until then you can buy the code from me ;).

Aquarius
April 29, 2004, 12:11 pm
I hope it won't happen soon ;)

AerialAssault
April 29, 2004, 12:37 pm
why do hackers have to hack? games arent fun when they're too easy

Hektik Sniper
April 29, 2004, 12:48 pm
because they find it funny to make others suffer.

BlackSpear
April 29, 2004, 1:39 pm
quote:Originally posted by AerialAssault
why do hackers have to hack? games arent fun when they're too easy

becouse if they didn't hack they wheren't hackers

kevith
April 29, 2004, 3:32 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal Marcinkowski
When I stop making Soldat I'll probably release the source code. Even if it is the old 1.05b.
Until then you can buy the code from me ;).
Well there you go... the definitive answer regarding the release of Soldat's source code.

palloco
April 29, 2004, 5:31 pm
How much does it cost the code right now?

FliesLikeABrick
April 30, 2004, 3:03 am
Nobody who charges to register a game (like soldat) is going to release the source. Source code is generally only released for free software.

BlackSpear
April 30, 2004, 1:47 pm
soldat is still freeware in a way!
you have no disadvantages if you havn't registerd only the new [:-censored] that you don't REALY need but is handy and fun to have comes with your registration and removes that anoing please register thing or whatever it was, that was my main reason of registering lol
can't take it to wait for 1 sec and click ok hehe

April 30, 2004, 9:46 pm
quote:Originally posted by BlackSpear
soldat is still freeware in a way!

It was shareware last time I checked...

BManx2000
May 1, 2004, 3:04 am
read: IN A WAY.

BrTarolg
May 1, 2004, 3:25 am
i think a cheater freindly version would be as fun as hell... ovbiously everyone would cheat, but it would be fun to see who makes the best hacks and stuff.
obviously its not there to play, just to test your cheating/hacking/omgmemoryediteverything skills

BlackSpear
May 1, 2004, 1:15 pm
it would have it's own servers to play on so maybe it would attract cheaters to use that version (since it's way easyer to hack) and also would be fun to play it myself sometime. it would be a cheating competition with a mix of skill hehe

Toni_Cicerelli
May 3, 2004, 3:38 am
im not worryed about when were going to get the sorce coad for mods but who is gona get it to make soldat 2. MM said he wasn't going to do it.

Element_101
May 3, 2004, 4:07 am
I love michals title:

Soldat Creator

Lol hes like god in these forums

Aquarius
May 3, 2004, 8:41 am
quote:Originally posted by Toni_Cicerelli
im not worryed about when were going to get the sorce coad for mods but who is gona get it to make soldat 2. MM said he wasn't going to do it.

Do we really need Soldat 2 ???

BlackSpear
May 3, 2004, 4:18 pm
a bugless version of the normal soldat would be better (and since all software isn't 100% bugfree, soldat won't become that too, but still make it as bugless as possible)

Zoolander
May 4, 2004, 9:19 am
NERF BARRET! oh wrong thread? lets say people didnt use the open source for griefing? imagine all the awesome things soldat could have.