( search forums )
Advice on LAN Soldat Competition
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Server Help
Chronic
May 3, 2004, 11:19 am
Hey guys!

Some background: I hold regular LANs with a bunch of friends/randoms - roughly 40-50 people. Last time I experimented with running a Soldat Comp - 1v1 Deathmatch (1v1 is a great tournament format for any game). I ran a modified swiss tournament - five swiss rounds where everybody gets to play, and then we cut off the top eight players and they had a single-elimination knockout bracket. We had about sixteen people enter, and it ended up a really fun and intense event. I hadn't stress tested any servers, but I spread the servers over two seperate linux boxes - five servers per PC seemed absolutely fine.

So anyway, I have a few questions. It is hard to administer a lot of servers at once for an event like this. The way I organized the maps was just to have a mapcycle (incidentally, it was Jungle, Arena3, and Bridge) and no timelimit for the maps. That way when a round was called up and people were allocated to servers, they would sign on, play a match to completion, and sign off. This meant the maps were always in sync.

Of course, if people stayed on and mucked around on the servers, that screwed up the rotation, and I had no way to police that. My first question: Is there any easy way to run say 10-15 servers for a tournament like this?

I'm also interested to know if you guys could recommend any good 1v1 maps for an environment like this. The stock maps are great but they do get old after a while. Of course, with custom maps you have to work out distributing them to all the clients (which can be a hassle with some of the noobs at these events ;)).

Anyway, looking forward to see if anyone has had similar experiences. Soldat makes a great LAN game, and a great tourney game too.

Cheers,

.Chronic