( search forums )
True veteranship
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Chakra
May 6, 2004, 9:17 pm
There ain't that many interesting topics going lately, and at times talking about soldat is more interesting than playing it. Hence me making this topic.

Anyhow, in this world of soldat you can always find mention of the crowbar'd seperation between noobs and veteran players.

What are the true elements of a vet in soldat?

Does this promotion occur when you no longer restrict yourself to one choice of weapon, or does variety in weapons really matter?

Will a true vet be a unbeatable killing machine, or humbly adequate in his field?

Does a negative attitude remove the player from such a status?

Is a love or hate for the game a factor?

Need a person be a in clan before being known as a 'vet' ?

May 6, 2004, 9:41 pm
Many people can call themselves vets, and most of the time, aren't. In my opinion, a true vet must be able to use a multitude of weapons skilfully, be a competent player as a bare minimum, and like the game quite a lot at the very least. A positive attitude isn't nessecary, as has been shown in a few cases, but it helps if you want to be a vet that people like. Clans are entirely optional in my views, and I personally try to avoid them (unless they're realy, really good, heh).[/rant]

BMF
May 6, 2004, 9:42 pm
- You must use all (or majority of the) weapons on a very good level.
- You have to be really good (top 5-10% of all people playing the game).
- Attitude does not matter (look at Superkill..)
- If you hate the game you dont play it, that was a stupid question.
- You dont have to belong to a clan, but you must have extensive competitive CTF experience (basically played a lot of clan matches).

Chakra next time you have questions, just ask me on MSN.

Meandor
May 6, 2004, 9:58 pm
hah, attitude and knowledge are the only things that matter. The rest is cosmetic for the community pleasure.

Dathker
May 6, 2004, 10:56 pm
i wish i was a vet, but i suck ;)

DrocK
May 6, 2004, 10:58 pm
quote:Originally posted by Dathker
i wish i was a vet, but i suck ;)

being a vet isn't if you suck or not..
is how long you played

Kamikaze_Ninja
May 6, 2004, 11:03 pm
"- You must use all (or majority of the) weapons on a very good level."
hah! well im out lol XD

BMF
May 6, 2004, 11:07 pm
knowledge of nature?

Snipedmyself
May 6, 2004, 11:13 pm
Let me be lame by starting off withi some definitions :|

A person who is long experienced or practiced in an activity or capacity

An old soldier who has seen long service.

One who has been long exercised in any service or art, particularly in war
- those were my choices :D

Sticking to a weapon or using alot?
I think all people are different, therefore may use one or all.

Weed
May 6, 2004, 11:18 pm
quote:Originally posted by BMF
- You dont have to belong to a clan, but you must have extensive competitive CTF experience (basically played a lot of clan matches).

that means im a vet? yeepie!

grand_diablo
May 6, 2004, 11:18 pm
mmmh, i would define a "veteran" like this:

- played the game for a longer time (6 months+ depending on skill)
- Good in some weapons (not all, but at least 3 id say)
- doesnt use a barret as main weapon */me goes hiding*
- friendly and fair player, still strict but not flaming when having to cope with -for example- camping noobs
- doesnt start whining around when losing in a fair played game
- can also have periods when he/she doesnt play so well (dunno what its called in English, in German it would be a "Formtief")
- knowledge in how to run a little Dedicated Server, and knowledge about handling an IRC client (at least the basics)
- tries to help newbies who are willing to listen

a clan is imho not a must-be, there are quite many long-term freelancers out there who are well-known and respected.

Shyo
May 6, 2004, 11:22 pm
- can also have periods when he/she doesnt play so well (dunno what its called in English, in German it would be a "Formtief")

that would just be a "bad day"
I agree with grand_diablo in the most points.

Deleted User
May 6, 2004, 11:26 pm
Skill means nothing. As Meandor said, its all about attitude and knowledge.

I also think that a vet is someone who played 1.0.5b as a proper member of the community. Oh, and vets contribute towards soldat in various ways, by being an active member of the forums, or making high quality maps/mods to keep variation alive.

BMF
May 6, 2004, 11:40 pm
Knowledge of.. Chemistry? Or.. Knowledge of how to start the Soldat Application? What kind of knowledge are you talking about?!

- You may / may not use barret as your main
- you MUST know all (except maybe minigun) weapons. If you don't, you are not a vet.
- and a vet does not have significant downtimes. Sometimes you are "in the zone", sometimes you are not. But the variation of skill on an "off day" and on an "on day" should be minimal.

Again, attitude does not matter. Look at Weed. A complete asshole, but a vet (supposedly..)

Spectral
May 7, 2004, 12:21 am
a veteran is defined as an old soldier of long service. so as far as im concerned a vet has to have actively played soldat for over 6 months. by then he should be competant with most all weapons, have developed sufficient skills, and have a solid grip of strategy. i also agree with bmf in that attitude does not matter.

that fuking sniper
May 7, 2004, 12:30 am
Attitude is its own thing actually. I think Carl is a vet, but he's the biggest bragger on the forums...well, except Corking. I think BMF is a vet, but he was the major flamer on the forums till he got admin. And I thought I'm a vet but I'm just a crappy hypocrite that cant play Soldat...

Being a vet doesnt necessarily require you to have spent that much time with the game either. I consider veterans by their confidence in their gameplay. Veterans should know what to do in any given situation and should know why they do it that way. By knowing I mean personal experience, and this is where the illusion of the factor of time you spent playing the game enters the equation: It normally takes time for a player to expereince almost every challenge possible and learn how to counter it. But it isnt always so, most cases are, though. Veterans dont have to use all weapons, not in my book. I consider SuperKill a veteran, and he only uses the barret. Simply put: Veterans are people who know how to counter anything you throw at them effectively considering what challenge they are facing and at what odds. Sometimes spontaneous fire-and-retreat tactics are required if you are outnumbered, and at other times mindless nading and mass destruction when you are outnumbering and/or attacking multiple enemies in force.

?
May 7, 2004, 1:09 am
I think a true vet should have a good amount of playtime under his or her belt.
Weapons don't really matter because some people jsut like to use one weapon.
Sadly some do not think attitude is an important factor but I believe it is. I think a vet should be fun to play with not someone you have to tell to shut up and stop whining all the time.

AerialAssault
May 7, 2004, 3:46 am
a vet has to be sexi, like ?

Kazuki
May 7, 2004, 4:36 am
To me, the only definition of a vet is when you can clearly tell that they are one. By the way they play and how they own, you can just tell that they are professionals. :) Otherwise, they don't fall into that category. Like me, for example, I'd fall in with Kami and Dath, lol. I almost always use the same weapons. Long live similarities! O_o

Weed
May 7, 2004, 5:06 am
:P
i dont own... am i still a Vet?

Duke33
May 7, 2004, 5:53 am
I define a vet as, simply, someone who is very well known. Being skillful helps to become well known, but its not necessary. Playing for a really long time will probably make you a vet, but not necessarily. Most of the things mentioned here are, to me, not necessary to be a vet. When I think of soldat, and the top names I can remember...those are the vets.

Captain RibMan
May 7, 2004, 6:12 am
i got soldat quite a while ago but i just plyed on inernode but im probably not a vet

SuperKill
May 7, 2004, 8:10 am
you're all stupid.
chakra and bmf, you're both talking about PRO'S, not VETS..
veteran = oldtimer. argue all you want
"
"
.... wtf does this bullsh1t has to do with being a vet ?
those are the definition to a "skillful" player, vets dont have to be skillful.

Aquarius
May 7, 2004, 9:33 am
Yeah, SK is right ...this time [;)]

IMO Veteran is someone who plays since 1.0.5b or longer (usually he is Pro, but not always)

Pro is someone who is VERY skilled, plays fair etc (often he is Veteran, but not always)

BMF
May 7, 2004, 4:03 pm
Dude let's make some more definitions now. We have Vets, Pros, Elite, etc... Dont make it complicated. If you can't play the game you are not a pro. If you have played since 1.0.5b and you suck, that means you are not a pro.

Toni_Cicerelli
May 7, 2004, 4:13 pm
Super kill is right, my grandpa is a vet of WWII. He rode on a supply boat and never saw action. He never killed and body and I doubt he was too well equated with many weapons but he's still a vet. What I'm saying is you don't have to have any skill to be a vet.

Aquarius
May 7, 2004, 4:14 pm
> Dude let's make some more definitions now. We have Vets, Pros, Elite, etc...
> Dont make it complicated.

"Elite"? What is "Elite"?? I don't know any Soldat elite.

May 7, 2004, 5:00 pm
Methinks a soldat elite is a competent veteran, but not quite up there with the pros...

SuperKill
May 7, 2004, 5:04 pm
in a very simple terms:

vet - someone that plays long enough.
pro - someone that owns with atleast 1 weapon. attitude doesnt matter.
elite - one of those guys that you trust when he's on your team, and think, damn that guy is against me if not. can handle more then 1 gun, knows every map excellent..and has overall everything good ;P

i think it would be better if there will be vet, noob, medicore, and pro only.

BMF
May 7, 2004, 6:41 pm
pro = vet

SuperKill
May 7, 2004, 6:44 pm
bmf = wants attention

morpheus
May 7, 2004, 6:49 pm
a true vet is someone who's played long enough not to be worried about what a true vet is. they already know.

N1nj@
May 7, 2004, 9:10 pm
i agree with SK this time, vet just mean old timer...

quote:#1 - A person who is long experienced or practiced in an activity or capacity

#2 - A person who has served in the armed forces

#3 - An old soldier who has seen long service.

Chakra
May 7, 2004, 9:22 pm
Of course the literal meaning of 'vet' is just that found in the dictionary. What I was hoping most of you eejits would pick up on is the term 'vet' in the soldat sense. eg: someone rather good at soldat.

..bloody twats.

DizzyTea
May 7, 2004, 9:32 pm
elite - vet 2 differnt things , u can be bolth but dont have to, i agree that you have to play 6 months or more just so you can get used to the game but there are some noobs that can pwn vets.

Also i forget who said this but they said being a vet needs experiance such as CTF, which is complete BS in my opinion. I mean i h8 CTF i only play TDM , DM and that would not not classify me as vet(im not saying im a vet)

if that made any sence [:D]

SuperKill
May 7, 2004, 9:46 pm
for example chakra is maybe good, but he isnt a vet.

BMF
May 7, 2004, 11:28 pm
Who are you to decide ahaha

SoldatStriker
May 7, 2004, 11:43 pm
quote:Originally posted by Chakra
What are the true elements of a vet in soldat?

Does this promotion occur when you no longer restrict yourself to one choice of weapon, or does variety in weapons really matter?

Will a true vet be a unbeatable killing machine, or humbly adequate in his field?

Does a negative attitude remove the player from such a status?

Is a love or hate for the game a factor?

Need a person be a in clan before being known as a 'vet' ?

To answer Chakra's original question, there are no "true" elements of a vet in Soldat. However, there are different ways to define professionals at Soldat, and those who have been present for a long time.

A veteran would be humbly adequate in his field based on experienced, and an unbeatable killing machine if killing is where he has found himself most adequate.

In order to be professional with weapons, you must both be a master of a single weapon and more than capable with all weapons. The reason behind this is because you're expected to kill everyone with your master weapon and be able to turn a situation in your favor using the weapons of your downed opponents.

Attitude influences playing style, and for the purposes of professionalism a negative attitude not only hinders one's own goals, but also the goals of their teammates.

Love for Soldat is certainly a factor to consider when comparing professional players. Players who love Soldat are able to meet challenges in Soldat at full force, with an enthusiasm unreserved for casual players and Soldat haters.

Lastly, clans serve only as a subcommunity of the Soldat community, and have their own significance when comparing professionals, but for the most part the aforementioned applies to players who are in or not in clans.

Striker out.

Weed
May 7, 2004, 11:58 pm
so after this, i can hapily say, I am not a vet!
im just a pro >.<

BMF
May 8, 2004, 12:39 am
Yeah, you are not. I was just afraid to break it to you.

Striker are you here to stay?

FroG-BoY
May 8, 2004, 12:43 am
quote:Originally posted by morpheus
a true vet is someone who's played long enough not to be worried about what a true vet is. they already know.

What about people who don't know and don't care?

N1nj@
May 8, 2004, 2:02 am
wow, that was like the first time i seen a striker post since 3 months

peemonkey
May 8, 2004, 2:20 am
what's it really matter how long someone's been playing, how many weapons they can use real good, or how they act? all it comes down to is how good the person plays on average. there could be an old-timer in a server thinkin he's owning it, and then a soldier comes in and takes a steady lead. does this make the old-timer and less of a vet? no. because there are no vets. there's only varieing degrees of skill. dont put experience/behavior titles on people. just play the friggin game and have a good time owning/getting owned. then eat some waffles

Guil
May 8, 2004, 6:28 am
I'm playing since v0.94b!
I'm good with all guns except knife and chainsaw!
I'm a veteran all the way!

I don't care 'cause I play soldat for fun!

Zoolander
May 8, 2004, 12:50 pm
I used to be realy good, I stopped playing what does that make me?

May 8, 2004, 1:00 pm
A quitter.

Dathker
May 8, 2004, 9:30 pm
ahh lets have a vote (A)Dathker = vet or (B)Dathker = not a vet

BMF
May 8, 2004, 10:50 pm
Zoolander just got burned

LinK
May 8, 2004, 10:55 pm
meh, let me ask YOU a question chakra, who gives a [:-censored] about what a veteran is? lol

Nikolos
May 8, 2004, 11:13 pm
I think I am a vet, I started playing soldat since before 1.14 (mostly offline but that is the version i started playing online)
I am proficient in all weapons, but my best weapons in the current version are Ruger, mp5, deagles, minimi, steyr aug, barret([:-weepn]).
I can proudly say that i have only lossed less than 10 DM matches(that i started in) and i usually win with +5 kills.I usually join small clans (sadly they usually die out) right now im In VoD and we are recruiting!though if this one dies... im going to join a large stable clan. I want a clan leader who can kick my @$$!

Nikolos
May 8, 2004, 11:15 pm
that is i have lossed less than 10 DM within the last 6months

Denacke
May 9, 2004, 12:14 am
of the how many played? :D btw it's "lost"

Nikolos
May 9, 2004, 12:27 am
welli have only kept count of my losses... i play soldat for a few hours every week... so im guessing A LOT of games. Though im not too great at CTF...

Zoolander
May 9, 2004, 11:14 am
man I only quit twice, the 3 other times I was banned.

Subslider
May 9, 2004, 11:42 am
ppl id like to call vets are the ppl iv seen playing before i started.. doesnt matter what version they started in but as they started an older version then me id like to call them a vet..

now i dont remember all names of ppl iv seen playing b4 me but i do remember some..

when i started playing hercule and F4NT4 were very very active almost every server joined they were in.. they sure kicked my n00bie ass back then..
now those are the kind i like to call "vets".

kevith
May 9, 2004, 6:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by Zoolander
man I only quit twice, the 3 other times I was banned.
meh... you wanted to be banned, so it's quitting. ;)

DrocK
May 9, 2004, 9:12 pm
quote:Originally posted by LinK
meh, let me ask YOU a question chakra, who gives a [:-censored] about what a veteran is? lol

most n00bs do cause they talk [:-censored] about vets.. and they think that they are better and more experienced than vets
thats just...... gay

Meandor
May 9, 2004, 10:11 pm
Now, don't tell me you didn't look forward to be banned ;P

Duke33
May 10, 2004, 1:49 am
I sort of agree with link. Who does really care? Its nice to be recognized as a vet, but there's so many definitions as to what a vet is. So, all in all, its rather pointless.

Element_101
May 10, 2004, 3:06 am
Wanting to be better than everyone else is part of human nature

Snipedmyself
May 10, 2004, 10:23 am
being a human sucks! that why i screw with people wif /say saying im a robot
and hacked their server...i did it to plo koon 2 day- lol clan leader.
he was freekin out! hahahaha. "Die human!" i should record next time

AerialAssault
May 10, 2004, 11:01 am
human nature is a n00b.

a vet should be wise in the ways of soldat
a vet should know what would be best for the future of soldat
a vet should have seen alot of battles
it doesnt matter too much how long they've been playing, but i say at least 6 months.
and last but not least, a vet has to be very sexy, like me, one gram, BMF, and especially Chakra

blackdevil0742
May 10, 2004, 11:16 am
I've played for a quite long time and i'm good with every weapon but i'm not sure if i am a vet.

Gaso
May 10, 2004, 12:00 pm
quote:Originally posted by Aquarius
Yeah, SK is right ...this time [;)]

IMO Veteran is someone who plays since 1.0.5b or longer (usually he is Pro, but not always)

Pro is someone who is VERY skilled, plays fair etc (often he is Veteran, but not always)

Yes pretty much true that if person has played active since that 1.05b he shouldnt be noob anymore... And yes pro is very skilled but elite is uberskillz.

quote:Originally posted by SuperKill
in a very simple terms:

vet - someone that plays long enough.
pro - someone that owns with atleast 1 weapon. attitude doesnt matter.
elite - one of those guys that you trust when he's on your team, and think, damn that guy is against me if not. can handle more then 1 gun, knows every map excellent..and has overall everything good ;P

i think it would be better if there will be vet, noob, medicore, and pro only.

I guess Im elite then.

May 10, 2004, 12:07 pm
By Superkills standards, I must be a pro...

DT
May 10, 2004, 1:58 pm
Being a vet to me is just knowing the game.... being good is just skill... like me![^]

SoldatStriker
May 10, 2004, 6:04 pm
quote:Originally posted by BMF
Striker are you here to stay?
I'll always be around to contribute to the Soldat community, whether it be training new players, giving advice, or providing people someone competent to play against in the publics. I'm going on my second year of playing Soldat now, so its only natural I take some breaks. [;-xmas]

Droopy
May 10, 2004, 6:50 pm
To ME a vet is a guy that put's fingers in the cat's ass and cure's them (alltho I dunno how would putting finger's into somebody's ass cure some1.. maybe we should change this with medikit:P)!

Seriously: A veteran, im my opinion, is a player who's seen at leats 5 versions! So he know's how to use all weapons and has a newbie friendly additute(n00b, magot, asshole..)! To me this is a guy that has.. seen it all! Well half at leats! It's a person who know's soldat inside out, up's and down's, Bonnie and Clyde..

It's the ultimate fighter!

grand_diablo
May 10, 2004, 10:45 pm
hmmm, lets try this the other way round.

I am...

* playing for almost a year now (1.1.5 started shortly before the fix was released)
* in a clan since October 03, built up a CTF Squad there which exists since 3 weeks and is progressing good)
* (imho) good skilled in M79, HK, Knife and Socom, but recently also practising with Ruger, Deagles and the rest of the automatic weps (average skills with those by now)
* contributing to the community, to the game. (trying to) respect everyone's opinion about my maps etc. as long as the criticism doesnt consist of senseless flaming.
* helping newbies, if they are willing to listen. If they are just stolid, continue hiding behind bushes with their barret, i own em
* always endeavoured to play fair and be friendly (avoiding typekilling, afk'er killing and spawnkilling - excpet when fleeing with the flag)

but
* I do have phases of blackouts (that last from one to approx. 4 days) where i just play bad
* Ive been a barreter for 7 to 8 months, but ive finally converted

who of you would call me a vet? why/why not?

(all of those "facts" are of course seen subjective, everyone may rate my skills/behaviour different. This post was not meant to show off, but id like to bring some new points of view into this discussion)

kevith
May 10, 2004, 10:55 pm
quote:Originally posted by grand_diablo
* Ive been a barreter for 7 to 8 months, but ive finally converted

who of you would call me a vet? why/why not?Good enough for me [:p]

Captain_Jimbo
May 11, 2004, 8:35 am

To me, being a vet means you can get the following 4 done

-In terms of Skill-
1.) Learn to lead your shots; think 3 steps ahead
2.) Be willing to work with your team; don't be too selfish
3.) Strafing and dodging don't seem like they'd work well against snipers, but they do.
And my personal fav
4.) Knowing when to switch tactics between long, mid, and short rage battle.

In terms of more materialistic things

-superficial ways you know you're a vet-
1.) You're normally ranked in the Top 3 at the end of a round
2.) Around half the time for every kill you make, it's a double kill

That's just in my book, I'm sure it differs.

Element_101
May 12, 2004, 3:41 am
being a vet means you are good end its as easy as that

SuperKill
May 12, 2004, 6:54 am
no

KnOt
May 12, 2004, 12:34 pm
No, it means you've played for a long time and have experience.

LinK
May 15, 2004, 8:05 am
vietnam veterans werent always good at killing vietnamese, etc... they're vets all the same... what works in real life works here...

still dont think anyone should give a [:-censored] what the hell a veteran is though

elitentity
May 16, 2004, 5:31 am
quote:Originally posted by KnOt
No, it means you've played for a long time and have experience.

Well, I've played for a long time and have experience (1.05b), but what if you just dropped out of soldat for about 2 or 3 months? That's what happened to me. I played 1.05b, dropped out for a long time, came back for a longer time, dropped out for 2 or so months, came back a few weeks ago, and now, I'm pretty good again.

I think a vet has to be very good with at least 2 weapons and have good movement. Has to maintain skill.

Spectral
May 16, 2004, 5:41 am
u've been around long enough to be a vet