( search forums )
Has this ever happened to your server?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Server Help
Askur
May 11, 2004, 12:50 pm
This has been bothering me for some time but as I am in exams I cannot spend time looking through these forums searching for the answer and my friends are getting rather tierd of not being able to contact my server.

Now, I'm running the console version of the Dedicated Server and use the admintools to log in remotely from different computers. This is routed through a Linksys router (which I don't really know what is called.. I call it the little box in my garage) to my proxy.

Here are my problems:
1) Every now and then the server disconnects every user from itself. I just noticed it this morning. Some people were playing and suddenly all activity stopped for a minute and then every player "could not respond" and was dumped out of the server. I just spoke to a friend who was playing and he said that, apparently, it happened alot to him while he was playing. On his side the error manifested in his screen freezing and "Connection Problem" message being displayed untill the message "Server Disconnected" or something like that appears and he's booted out.

2) Seems like not everyone can join the server. The "connecting..." message in the join screen just stays there untill they give up. I know this happens to me on some servers I try to join so I'm wondering if this problem is on my side or theirs?

Some days ago I did the smart thing of turning my DHCP host off. When I turned it back on the computer hosting the server got a new IP so I had to change all the router port forwarding to the new IP. Maybe I forgot something?

If you can help at all, it would really be appreciated. And I mean specific help. Don't tell me to go and look at my router settings, I'll do that either way when I have the time.

Thank you.

Drama
May 11, 2004, 6:04 pm
maybe solve for the #2:

Check soldat.ini (from the server folder), check that compression=1

thats should allow players with routers to join

Askur
May 11, 2004, 7:30 pm
Thanks man, I'll check when I get home.

Askur
May 14, 2004, 5:07 pm
Seriously this is getting really severe. I was playing yesterday and the server restarted itself every 10 minutes or so. I know there is no way that my ISP is periodicaly blocking the port and it's not like my connection is discing every now and then. Is there a possibility this is the server program?

Edit: I think I figured this out. By the looks of it I may still have the old dedicated server rather than 2.10.. for some very twisted reason. Maybe I forgot to set up 2.10 after I downloaded it. I guess I'm not that smart after all [:-weepn]
But I can't check any of this untill I get home.

n00bface
May 14, 2004, 6:31 pm
can you please show me a screen shot of your admin console? And what ded server are you using (Windows im guessing?)

Askur
May 16, 2004, 5:31 pm
Jesus christ this is happening more and more agressively. It pisses me off. No point in hosting a public server if it keeps booting the players. However this does not happen to me when I join through local host IP.. so this must be a problem on my side.

I'm running the server on windows. Here are the screenshots of the server disconnecting all the people. It makes no sense as far as I can tell.

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

So any ideas?

n00bface
May 16, 2004, 7:42 pm
not really :| hmm.. it seems more like connections prob because you aren't getting any errors in console.. uhm.. but i suppose I am stumped.

lionfish
May 28, 2004, 11:45 am
Askur, I've the same problem!
The situation is similar:
I run Soldat Dedicated Server 2.10 on Win2k3 Server. My server is
behind provider's router, so it can't be directly connected from the
Internet. So I used option of registering my server in a lobby.
It was ok. Everyone was happy :) BUT, every minute or 2, server
updates it's registration in lobby and changes it's port itself!
So all connected clients become disconnected and not so happy as they
were :(

Server console shows this:
---
Terror|_z1g could not respond
Registering server @ lobby.soldat.pl
Game server added to lobby server @ 65.113.210.3
---

So just before every server re-registration all clients get this
"could not respond" error. As I mentioned, it happens every minute or

I see you've got the exactly same problem, so I guess it's a Soldat Server bug that is still to be fixed.
I wrote to Michal about it, but he didn't respond.

I hope, one day this stupid bug will be fixed...

Askur
May 28, 2004, 11:56 am
Well I just shut my server down untill a new Dedicated Server is released and then I'll see if it's my router or the program or a bit of both. It's not like the router keeps messing with everything I do on the net. I can download/upload alright through any P2P program without stupid glitches like that and download/upload is all you need to do.. pisses me off.

lionfish
May 28, 2004, 12:41 pm
this proves it as a soldat bug, not ours...

Askur
May 28, 2004, 7:02 pm
Or soldats imcomapatbility with our system or router. You wouldn't be behind a LinkSys router?

lionfish
May 31, 2004, 8:56 am
Nope. I'm not 100% sure, but it's defenitely not a LinkSys router.
I think it's some of Cisco routers as they are dominating here.
Btw, i have noticed, that time between player kicks can vary in vast ranges... from 1 minute to 20 minutes or even more...
If these were a router problems, then i should be disconnected periodically from other servers when playing soldat. But this doesn't happen.
The bug is in lobby server registration process. After each server status update (registration in lobby), the lobby server assigns different port to game server, effectivly preventing its normal operation. If this would be solved, I think the problem would disappear.

Dathker
May 31, 2004, 12:34 pm
no clue :P

Askur
May 31, 2004, 1:14 pm
But.. if the server keeps flipping his port number then my router wouldn't pick it up. I only accept incoming calls from about 7 ports or so... wtf. I have no idea what's going on. But I guess if the game would suddenly change port that it would explain why no one responds as my router is ignoring their packets.

lionfish
May 31, 2004, 2:58 pm
True.
Server changes its listening port, but clients are not aware of that and keep sending packets to the old port.
Btw, server doesn't 'physically' change its port. You can check it by connecting to it locally (to its local ip, rather than external, i.e. 192.168.0.1). You will not be kicked at all.
Only clients, connected through lobby, get kicked. So this port is changed *only* on the lobby server.
So, all soldat servers, that can be directly connected by their IP will not ever have this problem. But all other servers (including ours), that use lobby to be connected, become not playable at all :(

Askur
May 31, 2004, 8:32 pm
Maybe I should stop registering it in the lobby server and just advertise it on the forums. Must be some people here who are good players and want to play Realistic, FF infiltration.

FliesLikeABrick
June 2, 2004, 5:40 pm
This sounds like what happened to me after my server was up too long... Soldat servers generally upload at least 15 kBps of traffic (for 8 players, the dedicated server reports the traffic wrong, ignore the left pane of it). ISPs (for the post part cable) do not like constant upload at all. When they see continued traffic on a certain port, they are likely to disconnect all traffic from the port to keep the traffic down. Some ISPs have automated systems that watch for it, and if the problem continues they may disconnect you more and more often. Check your ISP's Terms Of Service to see if they have something disallowing any kinds of servers or "Multi-User Forums"...that is the clause that basically says you are not allowed to run game servers. IM me for more information, as i have dealt with my ISP for quite some time over this. (between my website, soldat, and other servers)
-Brick

lionfish
June 11, 2004, 8:30 am
FliesLikeABrick
Actually I don't think this is our case.
Server starts to reconnect after 1-2 minutes from its creation. And no matter if someone allready connected or not... I don't think there's some significant traffic in such a short period of time...
And if, for example, I upload something BIG to some FTP server the process never interrupted no matter how long that was...
So I think this is another problem, although with similar symptoms as yours.

Askur
June 11, 2004, 10:48 am
Actualy I'd trust the retards up in my university to be doing something like that. But I doubt it though considering that while I'm spending 15Kbits then there are other people downloading whole movies, constantly, on 300Kbits. It's not untill you reach about a % of their total daily usage that they E-mail you.. and that's all they do.