( search forums )
ctf_aq_Rainbow
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Aquarius
May 13, 2004, 6:08 pm
ctf_aq_Rainbow v.1.0

The idea of the map is that the places of the flags hurt, so you can't camp. Team spawn points are mixed. ONLY the floating islands in the central part of the map do not kill nor hurt the players. The island with the rainbow regenerates. The rainbow collide with bullets.

The map has exceptional look: very detailed polygon layout, 3d-like shading, texture stretching and precise scenery placing makes this map really worth to see. On the other side, the map have higher requirements: with many bots it may run slow on some computers.

Bot waypoints work quite good, but the map itself isn't very bot friendly (many death and hurt polygons), so if you want to play offline, I suggest to play alone against three or even four bots.

The map doesn't use additional sceneries.

in-game screenshot:

[IMAGE]

overall screenshot

DOWNLOAD MAP

B00stA is the author of the general concept of the map. Read his request for this map.
Aquarius is the author of the map.

May 13, 2004, 6:52 pm
I love you.
I'll play it and get back to you.

Droopy
May 13, 2004, 9:11 pm
What a lovely rainbow!

Good job Aqua! But u won't stay UP there for long! For litle that you know! I'm making a secret map! JUNGLE WORLD.. or something like that..

Soulsnipa
May 13, 2004, 10:16 pm
omfg ur maps rock

dude this map is perfect lol, I love the 3d look, and the awesome scenery placement. How you made the polys blend with the scenery was really good. Great gameplay and concept to go along with it!

Rambo_6
May 13, 2004, 10:16 pm
Pretty small, but pretty intense.

Aquarius
May 13, 2004, 10:20 pm
SMALL?! Sorry, but have you seen the overall screenshot?

Arena2 is small, not this map [:O]

Guil
May 13, 2004, 10:52 pm
Man the rainbow island rox. Good job !

NuZZ
May 14, 2004, 12:44 am
Wow that looks really really good, the topic title just aint very inviting...

Zoolander
May 14, 2004, 7:06 am
Man that map just blows me away, its a little to open to really be a fun multiplayer map, but if you put this kind of effort into a map like jungle it would be worthy of implementation to soldat.

Hercule Poirot
May 14, 2004, 7:46 am
really nice map... but maybe too simple few platforms in air could do the trick ^^

May 14, 2004, 10:55 am
I tested it thoroughly, and found a couple of tiny bugs.
1. When a red bot has the blue flag, it has a tendency to just stand on the right hand side os the rainbow island, and won't move without a little "encouragement" (that's a few magazines from a minigun).
2. I think a full roof should be created, as the large amount of fuel allows people to get on top of the map with the flag.

DrocK
May 14, 2004, 11:36 am
very nice!! i'm downloading this one

KnOt
May 14, 2004, 11:59 am
Great map.. best one i've seen in a while.. you guys really made it seem like it was 3d.. I like how a lot of the action is focused on the rainbow island.

I think the way-points need to be spruced up a bit, I don't think the bots take breaks on poly's enough for their fuel to last em sometimes..

Oh and Sticky I noticed that too, cept on the left side :O

b00stA
May 14, 2004, 1:02 pm
yee finally, it's done :)

gonna test it with bots now, looks awesome!

poyi19920624
May 14, 2004, 2:14 pm
Wow, it feel like 3D! or it supppose to bwe 3 D?

Zoolander
May 14, 2004, 7:04 pm
Wow, I cant stop just jumping around that island.... will you ever make more maps of this quality?

GluLm
May 14, 2004, 7:46 pm
Amazing map, good job!
I like those red tentacles coming out from the ground
(they somehow remind me of ctf_offworld by bb_vb).
We need more tentacle maps!
Again, congratulations.

blackdevil0742
May 14, 2004, 8:49 pm
Amazing map!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
.................................don't know what to say..........

Hitman
May 15, 2004, 3:05 pm
Your map is amazing. I mean visually it's a work of art. However, I played it and to be honest it's a bit boring. I love the rainbow in the middle and the bits on either side, but when you're flying around to either base, with nothing around you, it's just...boring. Maybe if you made it a bit smaller and had some more polys or scenery around (clouds, etc) it would be great. Maybe it's less boring online, seeing as I only played it offline with bots.

Overall it's really good, your scenery placement is great and that Rainbow part in the middle is unique. Plus, the way you make the red polys 'curl' around the bases is fantastic. This is defiantly your best.

Droopy
May 16, 2004, 7:11 pm
Say thank you Droopy!

Admit! I gave u the rope idea! HEHE! Nice map!

Aquarius
May 17, 2004, 10:44 am
Thanks for all the comments. [:)]

quote:Originally posted by Zoolanderits a little to open to really be a fun multiplayer mapquote:Originally posted by Hercule Poirotreally nice map... but maybe too simple few platforms in air could do the trick ^^quote:Originally posted by StickyI think a full roof should be created, as the large amount of fuel allows people to get on top of the map with the flag.quote:Originally posted by HitmanI played it and to be honest it's a bit boring. I love the rainbow in the middle and the bits on either side, but when you're flying around to either base, with nothing around you, it's just...boring. Maybe if you made it a bit smaller and had some more polys or scenery around (clouds, etc) it would be great. Maybe it's less boring online, seeing as I only played it offline with bots.
The map was planned to be opened and big, but you are right - it might be a bit boring, especially with bots, because the flags are often dropped on the death polys. I think the map is much more playable with the real players, because bots can't take the flag from the death polys and they kill themselves very often.

Anyway, I want to make the second edition of this map - much smaller and with less open space. I hope it will be more playable.
quote:Originally posted by StickyWhen a red bot has the blue flag, it has a tendency to just stand on the right hand side os the rainbow island, and won't move without a little "encouragement" (that's a few magazines from a minigun).quote:Originally posted by KnOtI think the way-points need to be spruced up a bit, I don't think the bots take breaks on poly's enough for their fuel to last em sometimes... Oh and Sticky I noticed that too, cept on the left side :O
I think bots have enough fuel, but I agree that the bot waypoints could be improved. It will be done in the second edition of the map (it won't be soon).quote:Originally posted by DroopyAdmit! I gave u the rope idea!
Sorry, but... no, you didn't [:)] I had the idea of placing the barrel on the line, before I saw it on your map. However, I admit that on your map it is done much better [:)]

SERIAL KILLeR
May 17, 2004, 7:15 pm
whow that map looks really nice.
im gona test it right now.

Droopy
May 19, 2004, 12:19 pm
The old 2D look is out! And the 3D look is in!

I say this is the beginning of a new generation of map's! I guess I'm 1 of the pioneer's!

BTW: Thx for the compliment Aqua!