( search forums )
Help needed from experienced server hosts.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Server Help
Askur
May 14, 2004, 10:52 pm
I was wondering. Do the game requirements also apply to server computer requirements? Has anyone tested this? Does anyone know at what clockspeed the processor will stop to matter and bandwith becomes the bottleneck?

Thanks.

morpheus
May 14, 2004, 11:03 pm
i've comfortably ran a dedi on a 500 mhz with 256 megs ram. connection: 1.5 down / 256 up.

coolsi
May 14, 2004, 11:05 pm
I run a ded on a 350mhz without any problem...make sure there's enough RAM and you'll be fine.

Askur
May 14, 2004, 11:15 pm
Should be able to find a 350MHz computer without bleeding too much money.
But that will have to wait...

n00bface
May 15, 2004, 12:07 am
i have successfully run it on a 2.8GHz intel Xeon.. lol.. ermh, but since dedicated servers don't take as many resources as it would if you played (what with the graphics and all..) then I can safely say that No! the game requirements do not apply to server requirements.

Askur
May 15, 2004, 12:21 am
So... theoraticaly it could run on my antique 133MHz, 64Mb RAM computer?
Could even format it and put up a Linux OS on it.

...but that's probably not going to work. I'll try it out though sometime when I get my hands on some linux OS boot cd.

n00bface
May 15, 2004, 4:50 am
well, the thing is, Linux actually has requirements too, and (talking about redhat since that's what i use) anything above RH 7.3 won't work with 133MHz processor :| not to mention if you did get it to work, the lag your server would put the players through would be unbearable! gaha.

coolsi
May 15, 2004, 8:18 am
It depends what Linux distro you use, if you use one which isn't as bloated as Redhat then it should be fine. Mine only has 32mb of RAM and no one complains about lag :p

Askur
May 15, 2004, 9:16 am
I'd proably try and find some console linux OS... would remind me of beautiful old DOS...

coolsi
May 15, 2004, 10:37 am
Google for Core Linux. It's got a steeper learning curve than most other distros but it uses much less resources as it is only the bare minimum you need. :)

palloco
May 15, 2004, 1:04 pm
I doubt a 133 Mhz can run a dedicated server correctly

Askur
May 15, 2004, 1:09 pm
Depends really on how much the processor itself has to do. I don't know how soldat manages information like that mainly because I don't know how it's done in general.
But I'm sure you're right palloco but it's worth a shot so I can keep the server open 24/7.

Btw. Is it really necessary to enable the DMZ to host a server. I don't like the idea of it but the faw told me to do it and it fixed my problems I had then.. is there no way around this?

Drama
May 15, 2004, 1:20 pm
only the map load needs some cpu, if you aint got enuff of it ppl get 'connection problem' cause your map is still loading while theirs is already loaded

Askur
May 15, 2004, 1:24 pm
I see... so all physics calcs are done by the terminals and sent to me who then distributes them? So my CPU never actualy does anything.
I wonder if there is some way to preload the next map into my RAM and keep it there untill the CPU needs it... i've heard linux can work wonders...

Dathker
May 16, 2004, 2:40 pm
linux pwns ;)