( search forums )
LEIK WTF NO UPDATE IN A MONTH
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Bash Pit
Icarius
May 15, 2004, 1:19 am
Michal's not done anything really amazing to soldat in around 3-4 months now. Soldat's gone to [:-censored] because of the lack of updates. I've quit playing it for the time being, as have many other players. Anyone who knows Michal, ask him personally as to why their has been no evidence of progress over the last few months.

Hitman
May 15, 2004, 1:26 am
Give him a [:-censored]ing break for once. Jeez.

Askur
May 15, 2004, 1:33 am
Icarius, go code your own game.
Then update it.. often.
While you are doing that build up a promising community around the game.
Then satisfy the demand of every loser on your forums who has his own perspective on how the game should be.

Then maybe you'll have the right to say something along those lines. Untill then, just shut the [:-censored] up and be grateful for what you got.

peemonkey
May 15, 2004, 1:41 am
yea!! you big poopoo head!!

Hitman
May 15, 2004, 1:43 am
quote:Icarius, go code your own game.
Then update it.. often.
Then satisfy the demand of every loser on your forums who has his own perspective on how the game should be.

Then maybe you'll have the right to say something along those lines. Untill then, just shut the up and be grateful for what you got.Wow, Askur, I'm beginning to like you more and more. Well said man, well said.

Askur
May 15, 2004, 1:51 am
That's because tomorrow is my last exam Hitman (Oh joy, oh joy!).

Soulsnipa
May 15, 2004, 1:53 am
quote:Originally posted by Askur
Icarius, go code your own game.
Then update it.. often.

Then maybe you'll have the right to say something along those lines. Untill then, just shut the [:-censored] up and be grateful for what you got.

Dont these replies to these kinds of topics always sound the same....

Yin_Starrunner
May 15, 2004, 1:54 am
Ya man, Michal has always been pounded with "C'mon Michal we want a new version" or "Man Michal update already!"

Man guys. look at askur's post. Then use those large organs inside your skull to think for once.

Michal is not your slave. He did not make this game for YOU. Imagine if you were in his situation.

If I was, I'd quit after a while, but Michal has seen this game all the way through to 1.2. He does this outta the kindness of his heart. I can understand if he finished 1.2 and he just wanted to take a long break. I can understand if he got sick of soldat for a while. I can understand if he was tired of all the n00bs yelling "Vehicles!" and "When are you gonna come out with a new version!" I can also understand if hes just lazy (I can relate to that).

Anyway, the point is, "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth." I believe that's how it goes.

DrocK
May 15, 2004, 1:55 am
GO [:-censored]ING [:-censored] YOUR [:-censored]ING SELF!
jesus.. working on [:-censored]ing soldat updates is not as easy as it looks.. ppl keep asking and asking and asking where is the update... leave michal alone for at least a [:-censored]ing time he did his good work on v 1.2 and ppl like dont apretiate it.
jeez

Hitman
May 15, 2004, 2:11 am
Askurs post about summed it up. No need to post anymore.

DrocK
May 15, 2004, 2:16 am
lock this... it will get full of replys after a few mins or hours

DeafBox
May 15, 2004, 2:31 am
God, lay off teh flame.

example
quote:GO ING YOUR ING SELF!

i can kinda understand where Icarius is coming from....... i mean mike never posts on the forums so it seems like hes taken pplz money and pissed off. At least he could give some sort of update as to whats going on.
Is he swamped with uni work? is there a new map maker in the pipeline? has he perfected soldat so it never needs updates? just something to make this community remotely interesting.

n00bface
May 15, 2004, 5:07 am
icarius is an attn hr give him br8ke

gi.joe
May 15, 2004, 6:00 am
lol icarus..

u certainly asked for it..

peemonkey
May 15, 2004, 6:08 am
and attn whores...we need some good old fashioned poon whores.

AerialAssault
May 15, 2004, 6:35 am
UH!

Chakra
May 15, 2004, 8:54 am
Michal should use his head and get someone(s) to help him with it now and then. How long can a one man team try to satisfy so many?

Askur
May 15, 2004, 9:22 am
You're confusing his need to satisfy us with his interest in making his own computer game. I have the same thing going on with a friend of mine and after some months of abstract engineering we realised it would take us ages to just make the 3d engine. Still ain't going to offer someone else to take part in OUR pet project.

Zoolander
May 15, 2004, 9:25 am
i miss 1.4 :(

FroG-BoY
May 15, 2004, 10:58 am
Where's 1.1.6?

Zoolander
May 15, 2004, 11:20 am
isnt 1.2 1.1.6?

FroG-BoY
May 15, 2004, 12:40 pm
IT IS!? I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR A VERSION THAT ALREADY EXISTS!?

SuperKill
May 15, 2004, 1:52 pm
quote:Originally posted by Chakra
Michal should use his head and get someone(s) to help him with it now and then. How long can a one man team try to satisfy so many?

its satisfying most of the players.

Icarius
May 15, 2004, 2:04 pm

If I remember, he was asked by some Korean company to take it off his hands and what not. Personally, 1.2 was too little, too late anyway.
I'f I learnt to code and was into games as much as Michal seems to be, I'd be working on this game day and night to try and improve it. I might even listen to people's problems rather than just do my own thing, which is what Michal seems to be doing. If I remember, he did actually listen to the plea's of some of us who critised the barret for being unfair. Then as soon as he nerfed it down, the barret users we're all

"You've totally [:-censored]ed us in the ass Michal, we've paid for this game so you should let us have the game how WE want it."

And then the barret remained instant kill, and was given a new zoom function.

Askur, I'm not grateful for what I've got, because my voice as well as other's were not listened to in the making of 1.2. It can't be that hard to change some of the dynamics of the game, such as the balance of the guns. The guns were supposedly improved to match the barret, which obviously means that the barret is definatly the gun that Michal wont change. He was ment to be making something that would allow us to change the gun balance and stuff, but It's been a long time since he made that comment, and I really wonder what the heck he is up too right now.

I stopped play, I've given in to this thing, and started playing other games. I'm waiting though to see what he's going to make next though.

Like chakra said, he needs people to help him.

Chakra
May 15, 2004, 2:07 pm
'course he's doing a bang up job all by himself, but we can't escape it took him about 10 months an update and a patch to fix some little things that still aren't fully adjusted today.

Still getting a few wrong map versions..
The whole join-and-in-limbo thing makes joining small servers a bit difficult as they soon get full with dopplegangers...
And the screen-refreshing in fullscreen mode just to tell me I need to put in a password has had me turn to windowed mode...

..'course, theres no denying he's doing what he can. If it wasn't for this subject, i'd of completely forgotten the whole drop-gun-pick-up-nothing, spawning without a gun, constantly ejected from linux servers, the lack of a vote-for-map thing, and so many other quirks from 1.1.5 that have been thoroughly cleaned up.

Just seems obvious to me that a bigger crew would've got it done quicker and probably better.

bucky_brad
May 15, 2004, 3:30 pm
yeh a big crew could have done it faster and mabey better but with michal doing it we are getting soldat, not some corperate piece of crap that will cost us 50$ and totaly steer away from the fun of soldat.

even if he only got 1 or 2 people to help i really dont see how much good it would do because when a new patch comes out i know its by michal and i know its soldat and if it was not done only by michal i really wouldnt know what to think, also to tell the truth i like being able to say this awsome game only made by ONE person.

basicly i dont want michal to be infulenced by others to change soldat in a way he normaly wouldnt and if that means waiting, fuk it i will happyily wait.

SuperKill
May 15, 2004, 6:45 pm
quote:Originally posted by Icarius
we've paid for this game so you should let us have the game how WE want it

lol,
i dont see <name of a game that you pay for>'s players complaining about how they are not satisfied with the game they payed for.
besides, you arent forced to pay :o

DrocK
May 15, 2004, 6:49 pm
quote:Originally posted by FroG-BoY
IT IS!? I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR A VERSION THAT ALREADY EXISTS!?

its a frogboy's wooorld...
its a frogboy's wooorld...

coolsi
May 16, 2004, 7:31 pm
quote:Originally posted by Yin_Starrunner
Michal is not your slave. He did not make this game for YOU.

quote:Originally posted by Yin_Starrunner
He does this outta the kindness of his heart.

I love hypocrisy!

When are any of you going to realise that Michal isn't perfect? He doesn't listen to anyone, he releases versions of the game which are full of bugs, I could go on...

Icarius: I most definately agree with you.

PLEASE stop licking Marcinkowski's arse.

Weed
May 16, 2004, 8:38 pm
besides some people acting like blind sheep...
and Drock acting like a religious extremist, i saw no normal reply here...
when you pay the 9$ to register the game, you pay for the services too, that is updates and all the package
so dont go saying "go code your own [:-censored]ing game", coz if you paid 9$ for the game, you have all the right to ask "where the [:-censored] is the update?"

Icarius
May 17, 2004, 1:04 am
quote:Originally posted by SuperKill
we've paid for this game so you should let us have the game how WE want it

lol,
i dont see <name of a game that you pay for>'s players complaining about how they are not satisfied with the game they payed for.
besides, you arent forced to pay :o

The majority of people who paid and are still playing we're most likely in the beta, and made the game what is is now. Thus they are going to be satisfied because thier opinions we're heard.

I've seen the beta forum myself, I know that cbble made a thread about fixing the Barret and that Michal was "bullied" into fixing it.

I rest my case.

Hova
May 17, 2004, 6:49 am
I paid, I am fairly happy with the game. Its some of the players (including myself, I tend to whine a lot) that annoy me. Although it woudl be nice for an update, I don't think you have to make a game to be allowed to post an opinion on the supposed 'lack' of updates.

bucky_brad
May 17, 2004, 10:02 am
quote:Originally posted by Weed
besides some people acting like blind sheep...
and Drock acting like a religious extremist, i saw no normal reply here...
when you pay the 9$ to register the game, you pay for the services too, that is updates and all the package
so dont go saying "go code your own [:-censored]ing game", coz if you paid 9$ for the game, you have all the right to ask "where the [:-censored] is the update?"

when you registered you did get a big popup window saying there would be frequent updates? or any updates at all. Cause im pretty sure that you did not. Michal could stop updating right now and you couldn't do [:-censored] about it. Although it is kinda asumed the he would make updates, you have to remeber it takes time, he cant just spend his whole life coding.Give him some time.

Deleted User
May 17, 2004, 11:09 am
Michal made Soldat for himself. Read the interviews. What more can I say? He makes Soldat how he wants it, and only refers to the public opinion when he's out of ideas, or when something it so disliked it'll destroy the community.

Also, when you register the game, you are buying the full version of Soldat. Thats what you get, frequently updated or not.

Askur
May 17, 2004, 12:23 pm
It doesn't matter wether you paid for the game or not. I paid for Starwards Galaxies, I'm not happy. Do I have any legal rights in this matter? No, otherwise most of the SG players would be in court now trying to get their money back. I also paid for black & white.. I didn't wnt a tutorial that lasted for 4 bloody hours. Do I have any legal right there? No?

Paying for the game i essentialy you paying for the rights to play it. Or in soldats case, you paying to show gratitude (ateast thats the way I see it). You don't do something out of gratitude only to use it against people later on.

Chakra
May 17, 2004, 12:33 pm
I'm sure michal could easily maintain whatever design he has for the future of Soldat. All i'm saying is a few henchmen to help with the coding and to bounce ideas off of would doubtlessly be a good thing for all of us. He'd be able to improve his creation in his own image quicker and better, meaning we'd all have a Happy Meal.

What exactly is Michal's stance on all of this anyway? has he sworn to remain solo? I can understand why, after stupidly relying on that guy back in the beta stage to finish the lobby code. What was his name again...

-Claw-
May 17, 2004, 3:40 pm

If I remember, he was asked by some Korean company to take it off his hands and what not. Personally, 1.2 was too little, too late anyway.
I'f I learnt to code and was into games as much as Michal seems to be, I'd be working on this game day and night to try and improve it. I might even listen to people's problems rather than just do my own thing, which is what Michal seems to be doing. If I remember, he did actually listen to the plea's of some of us who critised the barret for being unfair. Then as soon as he nerfed it down, the barret users we're all

"You've totally [:-censored]ed us in the ass Michal, we've paid for this game so you should let us have the game how WE want it."

And then the barret remained instant kill, and was given a new zoom function.

Askur, I'm not grateful for what I've got, because my voice as well as other's were not listened to in the making of 1.2. It can't be that hard to change some of the dynamics of the game, such as the balance of the guns. The guns were supposedly improved to match the barret, which obviously means that the barret is definatly the gun that Michal wont change. He was ment to be making something that would allow us to change the gun balance and stuff, but It's been a long time since he made that comment, and I really wonder what the heck he is up too right now.

I stopped play, I've given in to this thing, and started playing other games. I'm waiting though to see what he's going to make next though.

Like chakra said, he needs people to help him.
coding isn't as easy as it looks like.. i know how u feel.. i have had same feeling too.. trying to make better end better until something goes wrong because u just do ti better and dont listen ppl and they know that then they just left the game.. and when u upgrade and upgrade u feel tired.. I don't wonder if Michal is tired now.. PPL GIVE HIM SOME TIME TO RELAX!! BTW how old michal is?

-Claw-
May 17, 2004, 3:42 pm
I'm sure michal could easily maintain whatever design he has for the future of Soldat. All i'm saying is a few henchmen to help with the coding and to bounce ideas off of would doubtlessly be a good thing for all of us. He'd be able to improve his creation in his own image quicker and better, meaning we'd all have a Happy Meal.

What exactly is Michal's stance on all of this anyway? has he sworn to remain solo? I can understand why, after stupidly relying on that guy back in the beta stage to finish the lobby code. What was his name again...
WTF? hasn't he always make Soldat solo?

Deleted User
May 17, 2004, 8:42 pm
He has always made Soldat himself, but Ardaen was meant to help him make a more stable lobby server in 1.2 beta. It never happened though, Ardaen got lazy and disappeared.

Chakra
May 17, 2004, 8:43 pm
yeahhh thats the guy. Little bugger..

Deleted User
May 17, 2004, 8:50 pm
Little bugger..

Now you're speaking my language. Go Yorkshire! [^]

-Claw-
May 17, 2004, 9:36 pm
how old Michal is? +25?

that fuking sniper
May 18, 2004, 12:51 am
Less than that. 18-20 is my guess.

1. Icarius: You cant match an instagib with any weapon that isnt instagib. Its simply not possible theoretically. Unless you make other restrictions about the said instagib weapon (barret) to put some side-pressures on players who use it to make it a little more aggrivating. Thus affecting the general overuse of the gun and the agitation felt by the people who find themselves on the other side of the barret.

2. Yes, Michal makes the game for himself, as Stalky pointed out. But registering, especially in Soldat, is mainly to support Michal, not to get the "oh-so-cool" bonuses. I personally dont really care about my colored jet flames :P But I do care about Soldat, thats why I sent God (Michal) 18$. You should to. Soldat is worth it. If you do, it will motivate Michal to update the game more often so we will all be content and satisfied and we wont be seeing many threads such as this.

I really...REALLY hope Michal keeps Soldat for himself. Because I wouldnt want to see anyone but him alter the game. He who knows what Soldat's VALUE is (yes, teh value) holds the power of eternity.

Edit: Oh, and one more thing. Paying for Soldat doesnt grant you right to whine about slow (easy for you to say) updates. One thing is, paying for Soldat is only *optional*, unlike other games where you cant actually play without paying up-front. Michal worked hard on this game and gave it out to everyone for free. The least you can do is pay 9$, which is less than any game you can find on any shelf in a video game store.

Weed
May 18, 2004, 3:08 am
yeepie
i name TFS minister of propaganda ;)

-Claw-
May 18, 2004, 8:01 pm
same.. actually i love to read these threads cos:"OMFG OMFG SOLDAT ISN'T UPGRADED IN MONTH!!!!!! IF I CAN BE MICHAL I COULD MAKE THAT GAME ALL DAY!!! MICHAL IS LAZY, SOLDAT SUCKS!!!" is that possible to be such freak ;) nope.. just wannabe programmer...

SuperKill
May 18, 2004, 9:19 pm
i dont see 'faster updates' on registering features.

773D
May 19, 2004, 3:32 pm
This thread is absurd.
Michal should be praised for everything he has done THUS FAR (not what he may or may not do in the future).
The game as-is is 100% badass.
Simply stated, the best 2-D Shooter ever made (Yes, I'm counting Contra).
You know of a better 2-D Shooter, I'm all ears.
Praise the man, don't whine.
Can't you recognize perfection when it sits on your HD and stares you in the face?

Icarius
May 19, 2004, 11:52 pm
quote:Originally posted by Stalky
Michal made Soldat for himself. Read the interviews. What more can I say? He makes Soldat how he wants it, and only refers to the public opinion when he's out of ideas, or when something it so disliked it'll destroy the community.

Also, when you register the game, you are buying the full version of Soldat. Thats what you get, frequently updated or not.

It's lame to think then that other companies haven't gone out and made games like Soldat. Another thing is, what if Michal actually only updates when he NEEDS money. It's a source of income, people who pay for the game, keep Michal on his toes, and he might work on Soldat here and there, but for all we know, Soldat 1.2.1 has been already made, and that Michal will bring it out when there is less money coming through. For instance, you've seen the n00b rush when 1.2 came out, soldat got popular. Michal gets money as new players register. When that is over, another version comes out and so the cycle of life continues and Michal gets money.

This isn't just Michal thats led me to believe this, I mean other companies do this too. Michal's not going to recruit anyone, because they might want a share of the profit.... Who knows.

Chakra
May 20, 2004, 12:35 am
...have you noticed the black helicopters above your house lately too?

Anyhow, now that we've established that Michy 'makes it for himself', what exactly is his goal with soldat? and who can forget the grand barret-tweaks during the last beta stage...surely that was community-driven?

..if anything, I wish he took part in these kinda discussions :|

Icarius
May 22, 2004, 6:41 pm
I wish he just fucking made a patch.

May 22, 2004, 7:18 pm
I hate updates. It means I have to download something to play the game. Stop whining.

Icarius
May 23, 2004, 6:16 am
IF YOU DONT LIKE THIS THREAD, DONT POST IN IT

Askur
May 24, 2004, 2:34 pm
Icarius, by your own logic I can say to you

"If you don't like the game don't post in its forums"

so stop whining.

SuperKill
May 24, 2004, 5:38 pm
weeee

Deleted User
May 27, 2004, 4:20 pm
Icarius, you have to think about this in terms of programming.

Michal has stated there will be a weapons editor in the next version. Think about the code of Soldat, Michal didn't write it like he was going to add a weapons editor, he just decided that recently. Basically, the code is, in terms of weapons physics, messy. That means he will have to go through and rewrite every part of the code that refers to weapon physics, and thats before he even gets to making the weapons editable. Speaking of which, he then has to code, essentially, something to the equivalent of a new mapmaker as well. And then he has to alpha test to make sure it does what it needs to do.

Think about that, bearing in mind Michal is 19 (If I remember correctly) and a student. He also has a social life (I hope [:P]). He already spends about 2 hours coding a day, at least, thats what he claimed in the Selfkill interview. Give the man a break.

bucky_brad
May 27, 2004, 8:13 pm
i would have thought he would have done it all with variables, and you could just edit the wepons by replaceing the values of the wepon

Askur
May 27, 2004, 8:44 pm
Look, if you don't know anything about programing don't waste your breath. Ofcourse it's all in variables. Programing is all about variables, functions and flow. There's nothing you can do to change that. If he coded it the smart way (which im sure he did) then he only should have to change a couple of constant variables to do changes such as recoil, damage, how physics affect the bullets and etc. Windows is also just alot of variables. I hope you don't think that MS only changes a couple of variables before every new release (wait.. maybe they did that with ME.. hmmm). If he's going to implement some sort of weapon editor it has to fit into his old code and if the old code wasn't designed to accept such augmentations he has to re-think it's structure and rewrite it.

If it was just changing variables it would take him an hour or so to do and then an hour again to find the only place he typed in the wrong number. Bah.. I'm wasting my breath.

Chakra
May 27, 2004, 9:36 pm
Ooh, a techy type on the forums. You seem to know what you're doing, you can go help Michal make that weapons editor!

Remember, we're 100% behind you.

Askur
May 28, 2004, 11:53 am
1) Michal neither needs nor wants my help. It's his project and if he needs help he'll ask the community.
2) I'm working on the concept of my own game and have no time to learn the thought and code behind soldat. Also I don't really want to as it would never be my project and I would just be this assistant the whole time.
3) You'll always be a percentile or hundred behind me Chakra :p (I couldn't let it pass me by...)

Topi
May 30, 2004, 2:53 pm
After all this bickering. I would like to say that i am %100 happy with soldat.
-The Topster

773D
May 30, 2004, 4:13 pm
Right on.

gi.joe
May 31, 2004, 3:42 am
dont u just love gys that end their posts with their nick

^_^ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeafBox
June 1, 2004, 1:36 am
quote:I would like to say that i am %100 happy with soldat.
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats a good one!
-Deaf Box

Icarius
June 1, 2004, 2:02 am
quote:Originally posted by Topi
After all this bickering. I would like to say that i am %100 happy with soldat.
-The Topster

n00b

Weed
June 1, 2004, 2:29 am
gotta love the bash pit
-King Montgomery the XIII

Icarius
June 1, 2004, 3:38 pm
ITS ALL IN THE DELIVERY - Domino's Pizza Boy

LoGaN20216
June 13, 2004, 8:31 am

Icarius