( search forums )
That was the easiest exam I've ever taken!!
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Bash Pit
Askur
May 15, 2004, 12:33 pm
Woohoo! [:D]
Grr voice: "Ooohh! I'M DANCING LIKE A MONKEY!"

Just since I like you all and I'm pretty euphoric right now I want to share this with the more techincaly inclined of you all.

This was my first question:
Create a sequential circuit whose input is a binary number made up from x1,x2,x3 and x4. The circuit returns a boolean true (1) if the number is odd.

Goddamnit that's not a circuit! If the least significant bit of a binary number is set then it's odd! It's a no gate circuit goddamnit! AHAHAA! Joy! JOY!!

SUMMER HOLIDAYS! HOLIDAYS! HOLIDAYS!

Zim voice: OOOohh envy me human womrbabies! EEENVY ZIM! (okay he never said that but I don't give).

SuperKill
May 15, 2004, 1:51 pm
gratz ?

Zoolander
May 15, 2004, 2:22 pm
quote:Originally posted by SuperKill
gratz ?

yea

Askur
May 15, 2004, 2:50 pm
That'll do. Woohoo!

peemonkey
May 15, 2004, 4:07 pm
icelanders...whatya gonna do....

AerialAssault
May 15, 2004, 6:00 pm
they have people in iceland?

Captain RibMan
May 15, 2004, 10:42 pm
no thats greenland

gi.joe
May 15, 2004, 11:13 pm
no greenland is the real iceland

Zoolander
May 16, 2004, 12:11 am
so is iceland really green?

gi.joe
May 16, 2004, 1:24 am
and greenland is really icy

fuked eh?

iv sed it b4 and ill say it again..

the person that named those 2 must have been high as a freaking kite..

cup_of_squirrels
May 16, 2004, 5:54 pm
I dont get it.....that question made no sense. Oh well, I hope you get it wrong :D

Yin_Starrunner
May 17, 2004, 9:05 pm
1. you're gonna get that question wrong.

2. I learned that stuff in 2nd grade.

3. Iceland and Greenland r fuked up. gi.joe was right, that dude was high as hell (Ya im stupid)

Askur
May 24, 2004, 2:43 pm
1. Nope. No point in arguing this. I've been graded and know I was right.

2. You learnt binary counting and how to create sequential logic circuits in second grade? I doubt that.

3. There's a good explanation for that:
Iceland: Named Iceland for two reasons. It was very cold and still is. As they didn't have the poles for comparioson they decided to to with Iceland. It is also believed that they may have chosen this name to make sure that the monarch to be of norway would have no interest what so ever in following them.
Greenland: The guy who found Greenland was exiled from Iceland (well, he wasn't really exiled he just had no rights anymore so people were expected to kill him on sight) and he wanted some company. So to lure more settlers in he named the land Greenland. He also landed in summer.

Now you don't have to feel stupid anymore, Yin.

ssjjackass
May 28, 2004, 10:39 am
:D lol , i have no idea what a binary thing is

Askur
May 28, 2004, 11:45 am
100111010010 <= Binary string
In short it's the number system that computers use as zero/one can be thought of as off/on (0V - 1.4V / 3.6V - 5V). This then helps the computer to transmit any kind of data or instructions.

00101111 in binary could then be translated to the number 49
it could also represent the character / in ASCII
or it could represent the opcode for the command branch in lessthan or equal which means that the program counter (which tells the memory registers what the CPU should receive next) is set to something entierly different (usualy it just increments itself by one all the time) if a (Z)ero or a (N)egative flag are set on the registers.

Binary also easily implements most logic functions because you can think of zero as false and one as true. But Im going to stop now, I just remembered my school is finished for this year and I shouldn't be doing this.

SERIAL KILLeR
May 28, 2004, 3:28 pm
omg, thats a really easy exam.
I had to make an 4 bit shiftregister with a parrallel load function and a 2 bit up and down counter!

Hitman
May 28, 2004, 6:32 pm
M'yes, m'yes, and I had to find the mathematical relevance of an electron in relation to the structure and consistency of the Atom *Takes a puff on his pipe*

Askur
May 28, 2004, 6:32 pm
My point exactly, I was expecting something like shift registers or counters.. or just some dummy circuit that actualy required some gates or flipflops. But don't get me wrong though.. that was just one of seven questions.. don't remember the other ones properly. But they were all rather normal.

Deleted User
May 28, 2004, 7:28 pm
quote:Originally posted by Hitman
M'yes, m'yes, and I had to find the mathematical relevance of an electron in relation to the structure and consistency of the Atom *Takes a puff on his pipe*

[IMAGE]

"Tosh"

Askur
May 28, 2004, 7:33 pm
Yes.. the beauty of higher education :p

CbbLe
May 28, 2004, 7:33 pm
LOLOLOL u actually passed that test?

u do realize that 00101111 in binary isn't 49..it's 47 :D
1+2+4+8+32=47

I had test in it 4 days ago...but I failed..stupid microtechnology("dunno if it's the correct word in english)

Askur
May 28, 2004, 7:45 pm
Ooops...
Well I would have gone with 2F = 2*16 + 15 = 32 + 15 as it's so easy to convert from bin to hex and singular digit times 16 is easy.

But since you're so smart had to point that out I'd like to point you to the nearest ASCII table you can find on google.com. If you look at that you'll clearly see that 49 is a typo because I still said that it would code for "/" in ASCII but not "1" which is what 110001 (49 dec or 31 hex) codes in ASCII. Before you flame.. you should always make sure you ain't flaming obvious typos. Ofcourse this wasn't obvious to the layman so it shows how much you know, eh'? :)

Edit: You could also have cheked for the opcode value of the assembly command BLE (Vranch if less than or equal) and you'll see that that has the hex value of 2F also.

Edit II: Oooh, Oooh! Typo above!

Btw. you fail I get 95% so just stfu with your typo (too bad I couldn't give you bad grammar to whine over too) flaming.

Stalky: I meant too bad I couldn't give him bad grammar to use also in his post. I stopped flaming people for grammar before I went to college.

Edit III: I'm an asshole.. I know. Old habits die hard.

May 28, 2004, 8:03 pm
Yes you can. He didn't put spaces after his periods.

Deleted User
May 29, 2004, 1:16 am
Why do you keep talking about me Askur? I know I'm sexy but this is just getting strange now [:I]

Askur
May 29, 2004, 5:03 pm
Erm.. bad eye sight?
Do I do this alot?