( search forums )
Movement from "n"
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
achan1989
May 15, 2004, 1:47 pm
People who have played n (that ninja game contributed to by michal) will know what i mean. if you hvent played it, go find the link and try it, its great. anyway...

Hows about some of the movements are included in soldat? For instance, the walljump.

Say someone is shooting at you. you are running at a wall, they are chasing you. they start to shoot, but you reach the wall, jump off it over their head and shoot them. they dont expect it, and they die.

OK so that explanation sux, but u get what i mean. After playing N i find myself trying to walljump subconsciously in soldat, then crashing into the wall, stopping and being shot to bits.

wouldnt it be good to put that into soldat. Just a little jump, nothing stupidly high or far. Also, instead of using jets to move round, you could use normal parts of the level.

/
____ / ____
| / |
| / |
|/ |
|\ |
| \ |
| \ |
---| \|------
/
/

this shows the path of your soldat up a narrow passageway between two levels. good players would be able to move round a lot quicker. i imagine there would be a lot of level design possibilities to take advantage of this, some hard to reach areas etc...

personally i think this is a great idea but what a bout the rest. ye so it borrows from N and a whole load of other games have got it too, but if it makes soldat better then thats good right? I am not sure if it fits in with the feel/style of soldat though...

peemonkey
May 15, 2004, 2:40 pm
this aint N, and he only gave sounds. go start an N forum.

Chakra
May 15, 2004, 2:44 pm
You know, this really ain't that bad an idea. I like it.

Famine
May 15, 2004, 2:59 pm
Yes, I like it too. I think it will add more action.

vegkl
May 15, 2004, 6:19 pm
Good idea! And it reminds me of a 2D matrix-game ive played[:P]

DrocK
May 15, 2004, 6:46 pm
1 vote.. goo idea

Shyo
May 15, 2004, 6:47 pm
*cough* option *cough*

nah, it could beein good, if michal makes it like its in n

Droopy
May 15, 2004, 6:49 pm
Yeah! I like that! I always wanted some good moves in soldat! Jet and very high jump isn't enough! We actualy NEED some of these moves!

I like it!

wert21
May 16, 2004, 12:05 am
Funny idea, but just for N.

Toni_Cicerelli
May 16, 2004, 12:09 am
I like it, but how come every time some one brings up diving or the like theres a wave of THiS iS NOT THE MATiX flames. Well whatever. +1 vote.

Kamikaze_Ninja
May 16, 2004, 2:16 am
yeah i like this idea now i can do wat i do in n in soldat =D datd be great =D

Spectral
May 16, 2004, 5:50 am
good idea from a great game

KnOt
May 16, 2004, 3:06 pm
As long as it's only a little jump, it'd be cool..

achan1989
May 16, 2004, 3:11 pm
only 1 flame, wow. thanks peemonkey.
The picture of the path kinda messed up, never mind.
Would anything other than walljumps work in/improve soldat?
Cos I imagine that wall stick thing wouldnt fit in at all...

cup_of_squirrels
May 16, 2004, 5:42 pm
Yeah that would be great :D maybe other stuff like a backflip......

Toni_Cicerelli
May 16, 2004, 8:28 pm
To be able to dive backwords would be cool.

ClanKwH
May 16, 2004, 8:40 pm
Shaggidelic idea!

wert21
May 16, 2004, 11:35 pm
wtf is "shaggidelic"? an austin powers' word?

Kazuki
May 17, 2004, 12:00 am
I actually like this idea :) It would go great with the no-flying maps where you have no jet boots, otherwise its not AS exciting, but it's still good. Got my vote.

PS. What are we voting for?

N1nj@
May 17, 2004, 12:26 am
Ya, might as well suggest jetpack to the creator of N. So both game will look the same, play the same way, everything is the same. Happy?

Toni_Cicerelli
May 17, 2004, 1:11 am
quote:Originally posted by N1nj@
Ya, might as well suggest jetpack to the creator of N. So both game will look the same, play the same way, everything is the same. Happy?

Simmer down now, Their two entirely different games. Plus if N had jet boots you could beet the game in about 3 min.

On another note, this would bring in a new type of map. Probably would be a more creative design. Working around the limitation of jump distance would be quite the challenge.

NuZZ
May 17, 2004, 1:40 am
... OMG!
This game DOES need new things, yes NEW actaion would be GREAT!
But this aint a ninja game, BUT IT COULD BE :D... No not really but whats some good stuff, like from www.soldat.com and the real soldat... I think this needs missions, but still famouse for the deathmatchs...

BMF
May 17, 2004, 5:50 am
I don't like it.

Aegis
May 17, 2004, 7:44 am
Awesome Idea, I likey!

cup_of_squirrels
May 17, 2004, 8:02 am
Hang on, if we add all these moves then it will turn into a Matrix fest....

achan1989
May 18, 2004, 8:25 pm
nooooo. just add the one wall jump thing. its not so matrixey, but ye the inclusion of loadsa stuff would make it too complicated and unlike soldat

DeepII
May 18, 2004, 8:54 pm
quote:Originally posted by cup_of_squirrels

this would be cool! if you press backwards+jump your soldier will do a backflip! this would be really amazing!

Walljump: like it! but maybe better if it would be an option like realistic ("Ninja Mode" or something like this).

btw: i want more moves to fight without guns!

Kazuki
May 19, 2004, 1:43 pm
Hmm. Maybe it should only be available to a player when with a gun or when with a knife/chainsaw only. Also, may I go ahead and suggest greater speed when without a gun? Otherwise, when people use the wall jump they will M79 the wall and fly out like a rocket. Also, more fist fights will be made this way ^_^

DT
May 19, 2004, 2:00 pm
Do we really need wall jumping? i mean this is soldat i don't think they bother cuz they can fly.... i mean it would be fun to have but...

Droopy
May 19, 2004, 7:41 pm
I like the idea! But we I also agree with DT! This is a action shootah! With jet's!

But I like it and it has my vote!
And nomather wich weapon u're useing you could be able to use this moove! Since your already able to jump with minigun and LAW(wich are quite heavy i guess) it wouldn't make sence!

OR

U couldn't make the walljump if u're useing M79(to heavy), barret(too long and too heavy), minigun(same ASS barret), LAW(too heavy), chainsaw(u could cut yourself..). The other weapons are fine! Couse if we enable this move only to deagle's, MP5, SOCOM and knife, the move would mean [:-censored] with butter! That's small talk for nothing, in case u didn't know.

May 20, 2004, 9:01 pm
I think this is a silly idea. Regular soldiers aren't fully trained ninja assasin mutant wallhoppers. They are people, people with jet boots. I think this would only really make sense in rambo mode. Everyone knows that Rambo has super powers!

elitentity
May 21, 2004, 4:31 am
quote:Originally posted by DeepII

this would be cool! if you press backwards+jump your soldier will do a backflip! this would be really amazing!

I'm pretty sure you can backflip already... I think it was crouch, start moving backwards, and use jets. Do it on a flat surface.

DeepII
May 21, 2004, 10:25 pm
quote:Originally posted by elitentity
quote:Originally posted by DeepII

I'm pretty sure you can backflip already... I think it was crouch, start moving backwards, and use jets. Do it on a flat surface.

no, then you're doing a roll backwards, but not a backflip...

achan1989
May 23, 2004, 1:23 pm
well the point of it originally was for speed and manoeverability.
but if u wanna make it into something else, fair enuf.

Blue Devil
May 28, 2004, 2:18 pm
this is a realy good idea! and here comes the fun killing words: if the grund is not 90'? soldat dont know the difrence between wall and floor... sry guys, but to do this action michal need to make a new level editor... damn it wer a great idea... *cry*

ClanKwH
May 28, 2004, 4:09 pm
Yeah some more fighting skills :D you get sick and tired of all those bullets

BlackSpear
May 29, 2004, 1:46 pm
I like walljunging in ANY game, so bring it on :P
(soldat should have the walljumping from megaman, (IF there would be walljumping :P) liked it best there and would fit best in soldat...)

Element_101
May 29, 2004, 1:59 pm
Its not a bad idea, I mean it would add a lot of gameplay value etc.. and would be quite fun to use!

But your forgeting - this game is a shooter, if you want to do back flips, wall jumps etc... then play a fighting game

DeMonIc
May 29, 2004, 6:57 pm
Hmm... how bout u had about half a sec wall walk that would sovle this problem?Umm, sure its a Matrix Rip off, but it will 1,Look cool 2,Add new dimensions 2 the game.
I mean, it would be good if u run to a wall, u would start running upwards for bout half a sec or even less.But the main idea is really cool.Specialy in realistic knife combat, whan some1 is chasin u, u turn wall jump and knife the ba$tard! XDDD
u got my vote :D

y0da
May 29, 2004, 7:01 pm
no, i think that the movement can't be CHANGED, but there can be only something new in the game. i'll bet this won't be in Soldat, but hey - why you want a movement like that? Soldat haves an own notchangeble game style, etc.

BlackSpear
May 30, 2004, 4:55 pm
no I would really seriously want to see that if you hit the wall in the air and press jump that you are jumping off the wall, you can only do this once when you are in the air, so you will have to stand on the ground to do it again....

y0da
May 30, 2004, 5:03 pm
then donload N and try to edit somehow the game, that would look like Soldat! But if Michal could make this and when you'll see it, you could say:"blah, i hate it". Why you want a [:-censored] like that?

DeMonIc
May 30, 2004, 8:00 pm
Cause, it would make some new dimensions of battleing dude :P

Deleted User
May 30, 2004, 11:43 pm
1) Wall jumping would only work on 90 degree walls like in N, which Soldat doesn't have. Ever.

2) Soldats current control system is too simple to do backflips

3) If you can actually wallrun in real life (like me [:D]) you'll know that unless you are doing a wallflip (see Neo in the dojo in the Matrix) you wallrun sideways, or at least diagonally upwards. Therefore, you need a 3D game for that. You can't use wallrunning in Soldat. Besides, you'd need 90 degree walls, see point 1.

wert21
May 30, 2004, 11:45 pm
No, i still don't like the idea, my W key would be [:-censored]ed up.

Askur
May 31, 2004, 12:35 am
There are some pretty cool moves in Tony Hawk 3.. why not put all the soldiers on skateboards and we can do kick/heel flips, and wall rides and even some grabs. Manual around and try to get big kill combos.It will be amazing!!

..no.. wait.. it's just stupid.

DeMonIc
May 31, 2004, 10:16 am
Duh.I have nothing normal to say at this time.

BlackSpear
May 31, 2004, 2:09 pm
quote:Originally posted by Stalky
1) Wall jumping would only work on 90 degree walls like in N, which Soldat doesn't have. Ever.

it does have somewhere arround 90 degree walls but why should it be a perfect 90 degree wall like in N?
in N you can also slide down on a wall, that is why it's a perfect 90 degree, but in soldat it doesn't have to be...
2) Soldats current control system is too simple to do backflips

to walljump you just press jump when you hit the wall
3) If you can actually wallrun in real life (like me [:D]) you'll know that unless you are doing a wallflip (see Neo in the dojo in the Matrix) you wallrun sideways, or at least diagonally upwards. Therefore, you need a 3D game for that. You can't use wallrunning in Soldat. Besides, you'd need 90 degree walls, see point 1.

and if you ever had rocket boosters in your feet in real life you you'll know that you would burn your feet verry quickly, your shoes would catch fire and run out of fuel verry quickly and somehow it doesn't regenerate...
so as awnser at your 3th point: FU©K REALISM...

DeMonIc
May 31, 2004, 3:41 pm
A kazillion points for Blackspear, cause he said what i was gonna say :D

Askur
May 31, 2004, 8:30 pm
No one getting my point that 'N' is an entierly different game?
Bah! Sarcasm is wasted on you people.

Deleted User
May 31, 2004, 8:37 pm
BlackSpear:

1) The physics of N are based around a linear environment, that is, with vertical and horizontal surfaces. Soldat uses polygons, and there is no limit on how to place them, so to have the game recognise what is the right surface to walljump is gonna take a lot of coding (I guess).

2) I SAID BACKFLIP, NOT WALLJUMP.

3) I know Soldat is realistic, but what I'm saying is that WALLRUNS GO SIDEWAYS. ALWAYS. Wallruns that go straight up are called geckos, and you need something to gecko onto, which again is going to cause way too much trouble for the game. Besides, even if there are jetboots, Michal intended to bring a certain level of realism to Soldat (go on to the main page and read the first point he makes in the list of most important features)

Moves like this will only ever work in games like N. Listen to what Askur is saying! IT WILL NOT WORK! This idea is, arguably, as stupid as suggesting rapid fire homing nukes.

May 31, 2004, 8:59 pm
There goes my next suggestion...

Kazuki
May 31, 2004, 10:15 pm
Seeing as how I know almost nothing about coding, I can't argue with Stalky. This makes it very difficult for me to side with anyone here. I was thinking of using a different button or something for the action of a wall jump. I imagine that if it could be arranged that way, the coding would be the same as a normal jump, allowing you to walljump in any area, and the only factor that would make a difference would be the physics of the game. However, changing the physics and still maintaining the old style of Soldat would be very difficult. I'm not siding with anyone here, just saying how I go about resolving this issue.

DeMonIc
June 1, 2004, 2:24 pm
Im not a genius in coding, BUT i think its not impossible to make the character run on the walls as well as the ground for a sort time.That way u can jump from the wall, like u were on the ground.But this is now wall run, and not wall jump as the original idea.

Melba
June 1, 2004, 2:38 pm
quote:Originally posted by DeMonIc
2, I shall not visit this forum anymore.Just came back 2 see what u have said.

EDIT: ok Demonic! the reason i posted it was because it's called a thread or a topic not a forum, cus that is the whole bug-forum.
guess it kind of a dumb way to say it...

BlackSpear
June 1, 2004, 3:01 pm
if the wall is in a angle of 90 to 80 degres it's possible (ofcource this is only a example, but you know what I mean)

DeMonIc
June 1, 2004, 3:30 pm
Melba, i have corrected my sentence, and I will ruin ure good time here on the forums.So stop bugging me.Lets just stick 2 the core idea: D walljump.So we see its possible.But should it be really implemented?(my personal opinion is it should be, but that does hardly matter)

swanofnever
June 1, 2004, 5:35 pm
hey,
this is a very interesting thread ;)

i think that the point about N and soldat being different games is very important. you wouldn't beleive the number of people on the N forums who suggest "add guns" and/or "aim with the mouse".. argh!!! (i just send them a link to soldat)

soldat is great as it is. MAYBE being able to jump off of walls would make it better, just because it would be another way to dodge things. maybe it would just add complexity for players, and would make the game less fun.

but all this running-up-walls stuff, etc.. there's a difference between suggesting an improvement to an existing game, and suggesting a completely different game.

i think that it's more important to suggest improvements that will take the existing gameplay and refine it, rather than change it outright.

raigan

Askur
June 1, 2004, 7:36 pm
Has no one thought about this:
"What would jumping off walls add to the game?"
or
"What walls are there to jump off? There are about two vertical places in each map and if you stand on them/near them/land on them you can jump"

Not only are you arguing that you should make soldat a hybird of soldat and another game, because the other game is also good (minesweeper is good) but you are trying to make Michal add loads to the physics of the game to make "a cool move". It will not be easy to code, he will have to create the graphics for it when he's done with the coding and it will add NOTHING!

In the end the only thing this will accomplish is that we have to wait three times longer for that update. Woohoo, great move!

BlackSpear
June 1, 2004, 11:29 pm
I will surely walljump as mutch as possible, couse I [:-censored]'n LOVE walljumping, that's why I got hooked on megaman and like N so mutch ect :P
but it will also have a purpose:
1.if you walljump in a fight you will be harder to hit
2.if you run out of fuel for your jetpack to can try to walljump (and when you've done that your fuel will have regenerated a bit so you can fly even further
3.you could change directions instantly by walljumping
4.it will add just a little bit more skill to the game witch makes it longer playable

the only thing that sucks is that it takes time to program, but then again WHAT DOESN'T????
and it won't be like that you will HAVE to walljump to be good or something, just do it if you like it else, don't...

Deleted User
June 2, 2004, 12:24 am
Anyone who wants wallrunning should shut up. You can already run up slopes, and its a 2d game so you aren't going to be moving to and from the screen, are you?

DeMonIc
June 2, 2004, 2:58 pm
Now i'm friggin confused.
Wallrun- This was an idea that came from the original, but those who are not home in these matters, think every kind of running on a not horizontal surface is wallruning.So we kinda mixed it with the "gecko".So that's not gonna work.
Walljump- I belevie this would only need that all not horizontal surfaces would have the same landing attributes of those which are horizontal.In english: u can land on walls, but if u dont press jump friggin fast, u will fall down like u were falling from a jump that ended hitting the wall.

y0da
June 2, 2004, 6:56 pm
blah, blah... yaping is yaping and it wont be made! I'll bet, that Michal doesn't like to experiment with Soldat. It's to much work.

pattoe
June 2, 2004, 9:54 pm
there could be bugs if this update came out but im sure michael could work around it, all-in-all a really good idea

BlackSpear
June 3, 2004, 1:24 pm
I can't think of any serious bugs walljumping could bring forth...

DeMonIc
June 3, 2004, 3:07 pm
Me neither.Maybe some players say it's just a usseless addition, but the new generation, that come out of the n00b ages, will make a good use of it.Like on inf_warehouse, it's very annoying in realistic that u die in the narrow tunnels while jetting and hitting the wall.Maybe with walljump, u could go up very fast and u dont have 2 use jet.

DeepII
June 3, 2004, 4:36 pm
Hum, walljumping would be cool. BUT only one walljump. You can only walljump again, if you were on the ground before. Otherwise, it would be too much like "N".

DeMonIc
June 3, 2004, 4:56 pm
I've never played N before, so i can only say what I imagine: a dude walljumping up really fast on a vertical surface.

Askur
June 3, 2004, 6:20 pm
No bug following this? Have you people even thought this further than just having the idea? How about 'unlimited jet fuel'? You walljump up a wall, jet towards it again, walljump higher, jet more, walljump higher, jet more...

..Jesus.

b00stA
June 3, 2004, 7:02 pm
Askur, have you ever played Soldat 1.0.5b?
You could easily walk up ("hoppel" arrr) walls.. it was fun and didn't have any bad effects like a real bug would.
it simply was one of Soldats physics features :)

..could be an alternative for all that matrix/style-over-matter etc. stuff, considering that Michal already programmed it.

Askur
June 3, 2004, 10:23 pm
And then Michal fixed it. Now you are basicly asking for it again.

Kazuki
June 3, 2004, 10:25 pm
quote:Originally posted by Askur
No bug following this? Have you people even thought this further than just having the idea? How about 'unlimited jet fuel'? You walljump up a wall, jet towards it again, walljump higher, jet more, walljump higher, jet more...

..Jesus.

You could make it so that in order to jump from the wall, the Soldat will have to use his jets, and therefore, waste a fraction of his fuel.

Edit: Stop being so offensive. Christ.

Blue Devil
June 4, 2004, 7:16 am
if michal makes a animation for landing on a wall, it should be easy to code: when anim. wall land is played and W is pressed you jump again!

b00stA
June 4, 2004, 1:18 pm
quote:Originally posted by Askur
And then Michal fixed it. Now you are basicly asking for it again.

Every time Michal changes the physics in any way, something else is changed by that, too.
I think he has problems doing one change without affecting another physics rule and that's a problem. You can notice that very easily when you play the different beta versions of Soldat, e.g. the 1.2 betas.. the physics differed.
The gap between 1.0.5b and 1.1.x is/was very big, the feeling was definately different. There was something missing imho, but this got balanced by new features.

So far the 1.0.5b physics were the best, including the occasional polybug, pretty much unlimited speed and the now-again explosion physics, e.g. M79 jumps.

Askur
June 4, 2004, 1:40 pm
B00sta.. you forgot to say IMO, but I know it is.
I still don't see what walljumping would add to the game.
I still don't see any easy way to code an algorythm that would differentiate between normal jumping of slopes and walljumping.
I still don't see why you want a bug reintroduced.
I still don't see why Michal would have to work to add something so inherenetly stupid (IMO).
I also don't see why you just don't go and play N and stop trying to change Soldat into something it isn't.

Kazuki: I can't stop being so offensive, you see I don't know what offends you and I'm not going to dance on roses around you just because you take offense easily. You see, if everyone would behave totaly non-ffensively towards everyone than nothing would ever be done.

DeMonIc
June 4, 2004, 7:31 pm
Via walljump, we wouldn't reintroduce a bug, yet implementing a new trick.It could make some new combat manuevers, and perhaps, players of the future will be playin soldat because u can do funky things with walljump.

b00stA
June 4, 2004, 10:09 pm
B00sta.. you forgot to say IMO, but I know it is.
ofc it's my opinion.

I still don't see what walljumping would add to the game.
maybe it's some kinda nostalgia, so it might be hard to understand for you. You should try Soldat 1.0.5b

I still don't see any easy way to code an algorythm that would differentiate between normal jumping of slopes and walljumping.
and? This was already in the game, but it wasn't declared as walljumping. You jumped from walls the same way you jumped off the floor, with some limitations.

I still don't see why you want a bug reintroduced.
I never saw it as a bug, maybe Michal did and changed it, but maybe not and he changed it "accidentially" while trying to fix some other bug.

I still don't see why Michal would have to work to add something so inherenetly stupid (IMO).
that one made me laugh.

I also don't see why you just don't go and play N and stop trying to change Soldat into something it isn't.
into something it was. Not every aspect of Soldat would be changed, it's only a part.

Maybe I'm the only one who thinks like that after all.

Edit: Fyi, the way it worked in 1.0.5b was like that: You simply "humped" the wall by walking towards it and pressing jump very often. Not necessarily a walljump

Deleted User
June 4, 2004, 10:26 pm
I still think that for this you would need physics with 'defined' walls, and thats just not how soldat is.