( search forums )
Team chat invisible above players head
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
arC
May 19, 2004, 8:03 am
I used the search function and it didn't find any results, so I apologise if its been said before.

The subject pretty much says it all, when you use team chat, it should not appear above the player's head. With it being visible, it takes away the purpose of team chat, because if you are near an enemy, they can read it too.

I'm just shocked this hasn't been mentioned before... Comments?

Weed
May 19, 2004, 8:41 am
on one hand, it makes spying a skill on soldat ^_^
on the other hand, thats a really great idea.
i second the petition

Deleted User
May 19, 2004, 9:49 am
I say leave it. I see the teamchat as some sort of radio the Soldats speak into. With normal chat, they speak on a default frequency so everyone can tune in and hear it. But with teamchat they use a team frequency, so the only way the enemies can hear it is by hearing people talking into the radio.

Thats how I see it, and thats how I like it. This idea was put forward in beta testing and Michal left it as it is, so don't expect any change [:)]

Element_101
May 19, 2004, 10:21 am
Yes but it gets really annoying in small maps, but then again who has time to talk in small maps

systemfeind
May 19, 2004, 10:43 am
i agree to how it is

makes it more realistic :>

i missed that feature in cs times ago and now we got it ;)

Aquarius
May 19, 2004, 10:46 am
I like the chat (+team chat) above the player's head. It is like a comic! [;)] However, the team chat should not be visible to the enemies.

Element_101
May 19, 2004, 10:51 am
quote:Originally posted by systemfeind
i agree to how it is

makes it more realistic :>

i missed that feature in cs times ago and now we got it ;)

Yes but CS is a much slower passed game I know I play it offten to

it would just take to long in soldat..

wert21
May 19, 2004, 11:27 am
Yes, i agree... the teamchat is only for team, i don't want that the enemy read it.

Jap_man
May 19, 2004, 11:36 am
They should make invisible chat for all the games or at least make it an option to make it invisible.
When you're playing Realistic DM or something if you're hiding somewhere or camping and talk it gives away your pos which is kinda pissy.

Droopy
May 19, 2004, 12:10 pm
Why does enerything has to be an option?

I say yes and no! Yes couse it's teamchat, so it's sort of private chat!
No, couse I don't think it's such a big problem and as said, it would be more realistic to "hear" a guy talking to his mate...

Deleted User
May 19, 2004, 12:51 pm
Also, I will kill the next man who suggests it should be an option! Do you think there is loads of space left in the options menu? Anyway, Soldat will end up so customisable you will be playing a different version of the game every server you join [:(!]

BMF
May 19, 2004, 3:50 pm
Good idea, i dont understand why the team chat is visible anyway

Deleted User
May 19, 2004, 7:17 pm
No! Argh! It's not a good idea! *eats BMF*

Aquarius
May 19, 2004, 7:51 pm
> *eats BMF*

Yuck!

arC
May 20, 2004, 4:37 am
Well like Stalky said, it makes it more realistic that people can HEAR them talking into the radio, so could we make it visible for realistic mode only?

DeafBox
May 20, 2004, 7:19 am
It shouldnt be visible. Id like mike to explain why it is atm. i cant see it adding anything to the game play.

As for the radio thing, and u should be able to hear it. FUKK OFF!!
U want that sort of realism yet we have jet packs and barrets that arent used for snipering pplz.

b00stA
May 20, 2004, 1:41 pm
I think Michal explained it the same way Stalky did and I really like it.
Keep it. I don't see a problem..

Dathker
May 21, 2004, 12:35 am
well.. if some one yells INCOMING TOP
don't you think that the enemy will hear it?

SILENT
May 21, 2004, 2:00 am
Can you at least take it off when your in spectator? Cause SOME clans get paranoid when theres spectators in clan matches.

DeafBox
May 21, 2004, 7:43 am
quote:well.. if some one yells INCOMING TOP
don't you think that the enemy will hear it?

U wouldnt yell "HES GOING TOP!!!!! OMG!!!!!" IF u have a radio, why would u yell??? The other point with the yelling, if your on the other side of the map ur supposed to be able to "yell" to your team mates on the other side??

End of the day, its a good idea. If there was a radio, the guy should pull his radio out. He doesnt, so lets assume that there isnt an implied radio. It should be covered up, because its team chat. Meant for your team only.

Alamo
May 21, 2004, 8:46 am
I think the military uses radios with microphones that are attached to the neck or something like that. So he does not need to pull out a radio. And: it's totally dumb to say he can 'hear' what he says because imagine two people, one red, one blue. They are on different sides of the screen. Theres heavy fire on both of them and they are supposed to hear what the other says? Sure.

I say: Turn it off (or turn it off and leave it on in Realistic ;)

BTW: quote:if you're hiding somewhere or camping and talk it gives away your pos which is kinda pissy.
That's only fair you coward!

Snipedmyself
May 22, 2004, 7:22 am
me-
EXACTLY! *gasp*

thats how i thought it, same as stalky-
i think seeing it makes it realistsic because you arent silent
when you speak. Just like talking into the radio, you dont
whisper.
like in rill life if you just open the door
on a phone converstion u only get the gyst of the werds
then they shoot you, fly up and throw grenades @ u! that is
¥ ù should alwaysknock

tha-cube
May 23, 2004, 5:32 am
i definately agree that team chat should NOT be seen by anyone but ur team.. the idea that it adds 'realism' is quite silly, and if thats the reason it's still in then i totally agree with arC and say it should only be included in realistic mode.

the more i think about it, the only real purpose it serves, is for a bit of a laugh when u kill someone and see them flaming their team mates as ur running away.. but other then that, i give it the big thumbs down.

rain_fin
June 6, 2004, 9:46 am
If you play realistic then team chat invisible if unrealistic then enemy can see team chat messages...Its so simpe!

b00stA
June 6, 2004, 12:54 pm
quote:Originally posted by rain_fin
If you play realistic then team chat invisible if unrealistic then enemy can see team chat messages...Its so simpe!

it's so simple that you just mixed something up!

Keep it.

N1nj@
June 6, 2004, 5:59 pm
I am still wondering why did Michal changed it in the first place tho. I mean it was fine in 1.0.5b, what makes the sudden change?

arC
September 9, 2004, 5:16 am
I know this topic is old, but I don't want it to be forgotten. Is Michal actually going to fix this or have we all wasted our time?

MisterX
September 9, 2004, 1:01 pm
Hm.. did you know that you couldn't here what the enemy is telling his team in earlier version (before 1.1.5, maybe even before 1.2?)? It could've been a bug, but I more likely think that Michal implemented this as a new feature. And guess what, I like it. For example when you're in the tunnels on run. You see an enemy walking in the middle. But because you can see if he tells his team that you are there or not, this adds a bit tactic imho. You can decide if you go on with the risk of being killed, or if you walk another way. Otherwise, if he doesn't talk, you know that he didn't notice you. Than there's a better chance that they aren't prepared for your "ambush". I like it.
Only in clanwars if one team is preparing their tactic and someone from the other teams comes into the base, he can see what they are talking. But 1. you can tell most clans to stay in bases and they do it, and 2. if the enemy for example knows that 1 of yours is going to the tunnels, this doesn't really mean much, since nearly everyone sends men in every direction in a clanwar.

The Geologist
September 9, 2004, 7:43 pm
As much as I appreciate the ability to speak to my teammates with privacy, the ability to see what the other team is saying in team chat is too good to pass by. Like it or not, it's a very beneficial option if used correctly. Even if you only see it for a moment, you can give your team warning of things to come if you catch a bit of information that is only meant for the eyes/ears of the other team. If it's a huge problem (and I realize this wouldn't work on public servers where people don't always know each other..)..why not come up with code speak? The enemy can read it, but they won't necessarily derive the proper meaning or implications of what you say...only those on your team who know/understand the true meaning of what is spoken will get the message. I repeat...this isn't for public games where people don't always know each other, but instead it could be beneficial for clan matches or to groups of people who play together often.

-Caldur-
September 10, 2004, 10:34 pm
Aye, no more team chat overhead display thingy...