( search forums )
For the love of god, change something!
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Chakra
May 23, 2004, 4:04 pm
Yeah alright, it's another one of 'those' threads.

For the time being lets excuse any controversial debates on why/why not the barret/m79/mp5/fists is an over-efficient weapon, ok?

All I ask is for someone to tell me why every single server out there is filled with nothing but m79s and barrets!

To anyone unfamiliar with the game, this would look like either an exxageration or a very stupid game. For the rest of us, this is just something we've accepted to be normal.

Soldat is fun, but facing indentical enemies like this is proving so boring. You honestly get more variety with bots, and that is very, very wrong.

The Noid
May 23, 2004, 4:22 pm
M79 and barret are the two most powerful weapons in the game. Not including knife though [:D]

wert21
May 23, 2004, 5:06 pm
What's the new point?
Btw, all servers are filled with barrets,m79 and hk, true. I use a lot m79, and i think that only hk and barret are really overpowered, becouse are easy to use. M79 requires skills.

damnnation
May 23, 2004, 5:11 pm
i just can't handle the m79 i ai'nt good whit it so i harly use it

Hitman
May 23, 2004, 5:29 pm
Chak, I swear, if this turns in to a Barret thread, I'm gonna kill you!

T.J.FoRd
May 23, 2004, 5:33 pm
how could it not turn into one?

Happy Camper
May 23, 2004, 5:43 pm
Berret is gay

There i sped up the prosess

Chakra
May 23, 2004, 5:45 pm
'cos thats not what we're going to discuss. We're going to discuss why so many people choose to use the same gu-.....oh wait, yeah, theres a chance it could turn, really. Still, lets try to avoid that subject.

...none the less, I just can't get over how stupid and 'cloned' these identikit players are. Why are they all playing like each other?!

b00stA
May 23, 2004, 5:49 pm
The same could have happened with 1.0.5b..
it just starts once and as soon as the server is full of barrets, it won't stop.
Everybody uses automatics? People will continue using automatics.
One hit kills everywhere? Then why should I use the AK74?

SuperKill
May 23, 2004, 6:29 pm
holy [:-censored] the guy (?) doesnt stop crying.

Subslider
May 23, 2004, 6:33 pm
yep.. i agree with b00sta.. besides if your on a one on one id rather have a single shot wep than a auto..

but i came up with an idea but i think its to stupid to make another topic bout it so..
this concerns the barretasualters.. [;)]

when you are not proned/zooming with the barret than i suggest to removve the cursor + sniper line..
this way "newer" ppl will find it very difficult to aim witrh it and start lookin for another wepon..[:-hypnotized]

just an idea..[xx(]

gimme sum feedback..

Deleted User
May 23, 2004, 6:36 pm
Well, I don't find this a problem (thats when I'm avoiding the B word completely). I see lots of different guns nowadays. I myself used AK-74 up to now when I've started using Steyr, I like the M79 but I don't use it much - I honestly find it less powerful than the autos.

What irritates me is the lack of Rugers now [:O] in 1.1.4 (?) EVERYONE used it, because it had been powered up...

KnOt
May 23, 2004, 6:42 pm
Lies..

Kazuki
May 23, 2004, 7:29 pm
quote:Originally posted by The Noid
M79 and barret are the two most powerful weapons in the game. Not including knife though [:D]

Do you notice that all of the weapons you just stated are one-hit killers? That must really say something about you. The thing is that in real life, different weapons give the handler an attribute change. For example, if you are handling an M79, Barret, or Minigun, your speed would greatly decrease. If you go around with a Spas, you would still be able to run and all, but not as well. The same goes for automatics, the chainsaw, and the LAW. Smaller and more compact weapons like the Desert Eagles, the Knife, and the USSOCOM wouldn't actually change your speed, hence the weakness of the weapons. This is what really needs to be implemented into Soldat. There isn't anything wrong with the Barret or the M79. It's just that there are no disadvantages to using them, while there are disadvantages to using weaker , non-one-shot kill weapons.

sande24
May 23, 2004, 7:37 pm
i think deagles are powerful... i thought any automachinegun is better... u shoot like 2 shots and the other guy is dead...

Kazuki
May 23, 2004, 7:39 pm
quote:Originally posted by sande24
i think deagles are powerful... i thought any automachinegun is better... u shoot like 2 shots and the other guy is dead...

Correction. 2 shots if they are both precisely in the head. 3 shots if they hit anywhere on the body. That's 3 shots out of 7. It's not too easy of a task.

ysr
May 23, 2004, 8:05 pm
usualy 'vets' dont use one hit kill weapons- and they are the only people that are gonna have 100% accuracy sooooo- most 'new players' will miss first time with bret and your ak takes em out before they have even half realoaded.
i like subsliders idea of no cursor- get players to discover the rest of the weapons.
i use spas-deagles-ak etc most of the time and find i do alot worse when i have a little
baret spree.but its never a problem for me-most games not everyone uses those 1 hit weapons

Kazuki
May 23, 2004, 8:11 pm
quote:Originally posted by ysr
usualy 'vets' dont use one hit kill weapons- and they are the only people that are gonna have 100% accuracy sooooo- most 'new players' will miss first time with bret and your ak takes em out before they have even half realoaded.
i like subsliders idea of no cursor- get players to discover the rest of the weapons.
i use spas-deagles-ak etc most of the time and find i do alot worse when i have a little
baret spree.but its never a problem for me-most games not everyone uses those 1 hit weapons

You have got to be kidding me. Missing with the barret's first shot is very unlikely, especially since most noobs stay stationary. Then, since they got a kill, they have it in their puny little minds that this weapon suits them best.

palloco
May 23, 2004, 8:15 pm
The fact is that only barreters and m79ers find games full of barreters and m79ers

Trigr
May 23, 2004, 8:16 pm
i think the only way it can be fun when others use barret/m79 is to use it back [xx(]

Melba
May 23, 2004, 8:26 pm
i think sniping is hard... poor me!
but the one-hit-kills weapons DOES have a disadvantage. cus if u are against many people, u are screwed cus the reloading time is loooong, so u'll almost certain be killed!
but i hate the barret! nerf it!

morpheus
May 23, 2004, 8:29 pm

wormdundee
May 23, 2004, 10:02 pm
no, this is getting very close to being considered a barret thread, so stop it now

and i think the reason is obvious, aiming in Soldat is pretty easy compared to some other games, so using a b****t is obviously the first choice for its one-shot kill and because it goes pretty much perfectly straight over short distances

o and btw, i will never stop using ruger, ever!

Famine
May 23, 2004, 10:28 pm
VIVA LA RUGER

?
May 23, 2004, 11:12 pm
I didn't really read any post I just wanted to say that I really don't know why people complain about the m79, its a single shot gun and the reload time is not that fast, you have to be skiled to attack a base with 3 or more good players and live. I say 3 because usually you can shoot and use secondary weapon or nade(rarely with nades though)

Hitman
May 23, 2004, 11:18 pm
I think M79's are great. Doggy and I just had a M79 duel and it's a [:-censored] load of fun. I kicked his ass of course, but that's another story..

Famine
May 23, 2004, 11:19 pm
i agree with gram....

I only think the hk is overpowered.

Drama
May 23, 2004, 11:49 pm
Chakra, look my signature

Chakra
May 23, 2004, 11:52 pm
it's me having openly 'owned' with a barret on a private server.

Honestly, I get a migraine one night, I don't feel like putting in the effort of normal guns....

Hitman
May 23, 2004, 11:55 pm
You just answered your own question :)

Icarius
May 24, 2004, 4:25 am
Over a year of barret dominance and still counting.

Deleted User
May 24, 2004, 7:35 am
i play with i M79 and LAW and i own!

ThaD
May 24, 2004, 8:09 am
quote:Originally posted by ?
I didn't really read any post I just wanted to say that I really don't know why people complain about the m79, its a single shot gun and the reload time is not that fast, you have to be skiled to attack a base with 3 or more good players and live. I say 3 because usually you can shoot and use secondary weapon or nade(rarely with nades though)

very true

>>>>usualy 'vets' dont use one hit kill weapons-

LOL

n00bface
May 24, 2004, 8:22 am
SOLDAT SHUD BE RANEAMED UTOPIA AND MAKE CHAK PRESIDENT OF UTOPIA AND HE CAN DECIDE STUFF THEN K WELL HE CAN NERF THE BARRET BUT HTHEN MAKE THE RUGER 1 SHOT CUZ ITS UTOPIA ITS ALL TEH COOLZ

May 24, 2004, 8:39 am
quote:Originally posted by Kazuki
quote:Originally posted by sande24

Correction. 2 shots if they are both precisely in the head. 3 shots if they hit anywhere on the body. That's 3 shots out of 7. It's not too easy of a task.

Um, yes it is. You just have to know how to use them.

Holden
May 24, 2004, 8:56 am
To get people to play other things, I suggested a "Random"-option, which means that the player will be randomly given a weapon every round. Sure, many people will not use this, but it might be cool to have as a server-option. Eventually, more and more people will try out the "less popular" weapons, such as the Minimi or SPAS.

Also, as someone else stated, the reason for M79/Barret/HK being the popular choice is because they are very easy to get into. The M79 has a bit longer learning-curve, but as soon as you can calculate the arc of the shot, then you are on your way. Training up your skills with one weapon should come first, and then you should try out the other weapons, so you at least get a basic knowledge of them. It will only make you a better player, instead of being locked on just one weapon.

Jap_man
May 24, 2004, 9:23 am
Holden, i like your "random" option.
It'll help newbies into weapons and stuff.

blackdevil0742
May 24, 2004, 11:29 am
I like the random option idea.

Meandor
May 24, 2004, 12:21 pm
Kazuki: last thing i need is people with deagles and mp5 go faster and those with spas slower :|

Kazuki
May 24, 2004, 1:47 pm
lol, Then that would mean that the lighter weapons would have to be degraded. I mean if you think about it, it would give the gun more personality. Do you use speed or power in a battle? Its your choice. Maybe a little bit of both.

DT
May 27, 2004, 6:35 pm
I have to shot them 4 times usally.... and yea thier are alot of arrets and the nade launcher... man the world has gone crazy... or am i in the twilit zone again....

Hova
May 28, 2004, 5:24 am
Honestly, the MP5 is soon to be the most used gun because its a really easy, spamming weapon. If my hand did not hurt so much because of the cast on my finger, I would go back to deagles.

that fuking sniper
May 28, 2004, 5:47 am
quote:Originally posted by ysr

Depends. I havent used the barret in months since last week. Now I just do what I want to do. Every single weapon in the game requires skill. Anyone that tries to tell me that a weapon doesnt require skill doesnt know what he's talking about. Furthermore, I believe that becoming efficient in a certain weapon requires the *same* "amount" of skill required to be come equally efficient in any other weapon. Whats so overpowering about 1-shot-kill weapons is their unique ability to land a quick kill. The barret specifically at extremely long range. You can learn how to aim every single weapon with experience. It *does* take time for people to get the hang of drawing a straight line between two points (using a barret). And it takes roughly the same amount of time to get used to an arc of another weapon (M79 is a good example) and control it.

Just because the M79 shell makes this cool turn doesnt mean it was so much harder to aim. What really makes it better than most weapons is the same as one of the reasons the barret is better than most weapons, the ability of a quick kill.

The reason why "vets" use a rather bigger variety of weapons is because they are vets. By that I mean: They already proved to themselves that they are proficient with the game and its meriad weapons, they dont need the overpower of the barret to make themselves a reputation, because they either already have one or they dont feel the need to maintain one anymore, because they propably did that already... New players really want to bust in and rack up kills, get a nice reputation and name about themselves, and get invited into a great clan. Its all just for shows. This is how a game loses its meaning - It is played for publicity rather than fun.

Deleted User
May 28, 2004, 10:25 am
Soldat 1.2b beta = perfect weapon balance.

cup_of_squirrels
May 28, 2004, 1:30 pm
What weapon balance?

Kazuki
May 28, 2004, 2:17 pm
Responding to TFS's post. Yes, it may require the same amount of skill to become 'efficient' with every weapon, but a skill in what? Every weapon has its own attributes, and SOME SKILLS ARE EASIER TO OBTAIN THAT OTHERS. Compare the MP5 and the Barret. For the MP5, the skill you need to obtain is to be able to catch your opponents and to be able to predict where the curving bullets are going to hit. You need to be able to get at close range because the bullets don't go very far. You also need to learn to conserve the bullets. As for the barret, you need to learn to aim in the right spot. When you're stationary, its perfectly straight, while when you're moving, it shoots at a slight angle. Now I personally think that learning how to lay down in the right spot and shoot a perfectly straight bullet at someone is a lot easier than the MP5.

Chakra
May 28, 2004, 2:26 pm
1.2b was 1.1.5 weapons with the barret nerfed, basically. Then a huge amount of whining (quite possibly more than i'm capable of) occured in the beta forums demanding the weapon's return. Michal retorted "but it's too easy", but evidently gave in.

Back in the days when I was a Real-Mode only guy owning the world with my ruger, I never thought that my ruger could be overpowered.
Of course, it was...

I eventually got bored with that so I branched out, found other weapons, and discovered that some weapons were harder to achieve the same results with.

This was at first pleasing; to have something more challenging, but in the long run I just end up facing guys who not so much 'can' but 'will' kill me alot sooner than I can touch them quite simply because their weapon is better.

The 3rd Dimension offers new oppurtunities and more difficult aiming. If someone is about to shoot you, you can dodge in a plethora of directions: jump, weave left or right, or even hide behind a object.

Whereas in soldat, the basis of dodging relies mostly on being able to go as fast as you can either up or down from your opponent's perspective.

To my incredible amusement two nights ago, my annoying niece was here. She's 7. She only likes fish fingers and pizza, has trouble tieing her shoes, and calls me Doodoo Head.

While I was having a quaint little DM game with about 7 others, my niece came in just as a new map, krab, was about to start. I sat her on my lap, chose number 8, and let her control the mouse. I took the keyboard. She fired, I moved, and we won 30-18.

Granted this was against a few no-names, and bizarrely I was only one of two barretards there, but surely this is a testament to just how pathetically simple the weapon is?

Deleted User
May 28, 2004, 2:40 pm
quote:Originally posted by Chakra
Michal retorted "but it's too easy", but evidently gave in.

Actually, he said "I don't understand why you want to use the Barret in mid-air, it's a sniper weapon! Use an auto weapon if you want to make duels in the air" and "I would rather get killed by a sniper 2 screens away than get killed with the Barret from 1/8 of the screen"

My sig comes in use [:)]

Hitman
May 28, 2004, 3:16 pm
quote:To my incredible amusement two nights ago, my annoying niece was here. She's 7. She only likes fish fingers and pizza, has trouble tieing her shoes, and calls me Doodoo Head.

While I was having a quaint little DM game with about 7 others, my niece came in just as a new map, krab, was about to start. I sat her on my lap, chose number 8, and let her control the mouse. I took the keyboard. She fired, I moved, and we won 30-18.That's really depressing.

Askur
May 28, 2004, 6:51 pm
My nephew achieved the same results when playing bots only.. doesn't mean that anything about the game is unbalanced but rather that his opposition was predictable and weak and maybe that he's a thinking fellow.
I've always thought of skills in soldat being more related to what you do and when rather than what weapon you use. That is, if I can predict your next move I have an advantage over you and if you do the same thing over and over again you're no much more opposition than a bot.
Ofcourse I play FF games most of the time and in non-FF you really don't need to think about what you are doing.. but I still say that the skill comes with thought rather than aim and learning how gravity affects your ammo. I don't mind barretards at all, I just don't respect their skills because they can't proof anything more than that their aim is good same goes for the M79 although I find it impressive sometimes when the shots are hard (cracks me up when I'm standing on a percipice in realistic and then for this split second I see a ball of something shoot up from where the ground ends and then come down again and straight on my head.. Yes I suffer from the 'deer in headlights' syndrome).

swanofnever
May 28, 2004, 8:38 pm
hey,
i just wanted to say: i don't know where everyone's playing, but i have no problem finding DMs and CTFs with only 1 or 2 cheapasses -- and even so, they never win.

these days i usually switch weapons every life to keep it interesting, and to be honest i think that anyone who plays enough will have no problem beating a barret/m79 with any of the other weapons. yes, they'll get some cheap kills, but who cares as long as you kill them more, which isn't that hard.

if people just made a concerted effort to ALWAYS go after any barret/m79-only lame types, i think the world would eb a better place.

raigan
p.s - having said that, i don't like servs that have barret/m79 turned off -- it's tooo boring/same-y. i like a few stationary campers to kil.l while moving t the next place ;)

that fuking sniper
May 29, 2004, 1:00 am
Responding to TFS's post. Yes, it may require the same amount of skill to become 'efficient' with every weapon, but a skill in what? Every weapon has its own attributes, and SOME SKILLS ARE EASIER TO OBTAIN THAT OTHERS. Compare the MP5 and the Barret. For the MP5, the skill you need to obtain is to be able to catch your opponents and to be able to predict where the curving bullets are going to hit. You need to be able to get at close range because the bullets don't go very far. You also need to learn to conserve the bullets. As for the barret, you need to learn to aim in the right spot. When you're stationary, its perfectly straight, while when you're moving, it shoots at a slight angle. Now I personally think that learning how to lay down in the right spot and shoot a perfectly straight bullet at someone is a lot easier than the MP5.

When I was talking about skill in order to use a gun, I mainly referred to aiming it and such other things. The limitations of a gun or another are the ones determining how useful it is to you in some situation and how it isnt in others. It also determines which weapons are the ones overpowering and which arent.

Barret aiming is pretty much the same thing as any other weapon, you draw a path for a bullet. Thats easy to do. But to insure you are in range, that you can engage at the moment of conflict, and the lethality of your gameplay depends heavily on other attributes - General style of play, weapon specifications, and other such things. Aiming a weapon is one thing, using it at general combat is another.

To answer Chak's original question. *It is because these weapons are easier to dominate with in most situations*, I.E. they are overpowered*.

Happy now?

Roy
May 30, 2004, 2:04 am
Wow. This sucks. I leave for 2 months (US Air Force basic training in case you wondered) and absolutely nothing has changed. Then again, I didn't really expect it to have. And that's what's so sad about the situation... nothing will change. People will never take it upon themselves to make the choice of not over-using weapons. They're too selfish for that. So, the cycle will continue...

On a side note, despite the game's flaws, [:-censored] I can't wait to play it again. I can't right now because I have no access to a computer or net access. Awwwwww. (This is an internet cafe computer :( )

Icarius
May 30, 2004, 2:54 am
quote:Originally posted by Roy
I leave for 2 months and absolutely nothing has changed.

Woah skippy, lets remember that you can't force a community to change it's lifestyle all of a sudden. Not only that, you can't tell a new person what to do. You can't change how the guns are either yet because the new patch isn't ready. ERGO, nothing will change until Michal decided to change something.

Kazuki
May 30, 2004, 3:16 am

To my incredible amusement two nights ago, my annoying niece was here. She's 7. She only likes fish fingers and pizza, has trouble tieing her shoes, and calls me Doodoo Head.

While I was having a quaint little DM game with about 7 others, my niece came in just as a new map, krab, was about to start. I sat her on my lap, chose number 8, and let her control the mouse. I took the keyboard. She fired, I moved, and we won 30-18.

ROFL! My best friend and I did that a while back. We were argueing on who would play, and my sis comes in wanting to watch TV. When my sis got tired of our bickering, she yelled at us and told us to both find a way to play at the same time. I closed my eyes, waved my hand around the numpad and pressed 8 by luck. He took the mouse, I was the keyboard, and well... we capped 5 times in a CTF match.

b00stA
May 30, 2004, 5:06 pm
Spam deleted.

Discuss. Don't spam.

Chakra
May 30, 2004, 5:26 pm
quote:to answer Chak's original question. *It is because these weapons are easier to dominate with in most situations*, I.E. they are overpowered*.

Why dominate when you can face an equal opposition, and then have the challenge of conquering it? That's whats between the lines here. Why must some players give themselves the best chance of winning, when winning is infinitely more enjoyable the more difficult it is?

Granted, the game usually becomes balanced and equal, but only because everyones using the same weapon. To me, this is beyond dull. Fortunately for some there's still a selection of players and private servers where a variety of weapons and tactics clear the path to funsville.

Kazuki
May 31, 2004, 9:44 pm
Why dominate when you can face an equal opposition, and then have the challenge of conquering it? That's whats between the lines here. Why must some players give themselves the best chance of winning, when winning is infinitely more enjoyable the more difficult it is?

Simply because us humans are a very simple and mindless race. Of course there are the few that get past the levels of stupidity, but that isn't enough to change the world.

morpheus
May 31, 2004, 11:19 pm
winning is infinitely more enjoyable the more difficult it isif that's really the way you feel, then why are you complaining? if it's more difficult for you to beat a barret with any other weapon, then you should be enjoying the hell out of yourself with the challenge.

Chakra
June 1, 2004, 12:11 am
..how inevitable was that retort.

It's nice of you to try and reflect the opposite side of the arguement with something coherent - no point discussing this without discovering boths sides of it all - but that question is surely just a tad stupid.

We all have limits on how great a difficulty we can face, and I must sadly admit despite being a gamer most my life and having played soldat for around a year now, that I am nowhere near agile enough to face servers filled with countless amounts of 'players' who can fire a projectile instantly across a screen, killing immediately no matter where on the body they hit, and is possible to aim by a 8 year old girl.

that fuking sniper
June 1, 2004, 12:52 am
quote:to answer Chak's original question. *It is because these weapons are easier to dominate with in most situations*, I.E. they are overpowered*.

Why dominate when you can face an equal opposition, and then have the challenge of conquering it?

The answer to that was already posted by me. People dont play for fun, but for publicity and reputation. The more you "dominate" the more skilled and powerful you seem, the more people will hold you in an ever higher regard and the more high-end clans will ask you to join them. Makes sense?

Luckily nowadays weapon variety is more respected than just cutting it with one weapon only. So games between clans that do that are usually much more fun that pubs. Then you have the other type of clans who all use barrets and think themselves as gods of Soldat. Lovely.

"if that's really the way you feel, then why are you complaining? if it's more difficult for you to beat a barret with any other weapon, then you should be enjoying the hell out of yourself with the challenge."

Nice try for a paradox, but there are some flaws in the cause of this statement: 1. Chakra was asking why *snipers* go for the easier way and not the harder way in which they are likely to have more fun. 2. He's complaining about the monotaneousness of the game when one has to face hordes of players who use the same weapons and play the same way. Correct?

When a complaint is heard, theres a legitimate reason, dont try to block that right away so easily.

morpheus
June 1, 2004, 12:54 am
ok, let me get this straight: 1st, you say you enjoy a challenge, but then change to only enjoying a challenge as long as it's within reasonable reach of your abilities. well, that's not a challenge, so therefore, even though you say you enjoy a challenge, in reality you don't.

and no, i don't believe that question was a tad stupid. but i do believe redefining a challenge to ones own standards is.

quote:Originally posted by that fuking sniper
1. Chakra was asking why *snipers* go for the easier way and not the harder way in which they are likely to have more fun.
that really depends upon the individuals definition of "fun". not all enjoy using the barret, then again, not all enojoy using the ruger, spas, deagles, etc. that's all relative. but one thing a majority do enjoy is getting under other peoples skin, and will do so by any means. so if chakra is famous for complaining about barrets, he should expect others to use it against him if, for nothing more, than to get a rise out of him.
2. He's complaining about the monotaneousness of the game when one has to face hordes of players who use the same weapons and play the same way. Correct?where are you guys playing? now a days i only see maybe 3 - 4 tops using a barret on an 8 - 10 player game.

one thing i'll say, and i'm sure you'll agree on is this; it does suck to unload an auto, or any other gun for that matter, and get a barret user down to his last ounce of health, just to have him run and grab a medi, repower, and turn around and shoot you.

but redefining a challenge and always complaing is something i do disagree with.

Chakra
June 1, 2004, 1:29 am
You are almost perfectly right. Although the words 'reasonable reach of my abilities' seems a little extreme. I do enjoy a challenge, but your apparent portrayal of what a challenge may be is a fallacy. Here is my belief.

The challenge should be capable of being conquered, as well as also capable of failing. If I were a climber, I would not seek to top Mount Everest, as it is too hard for my hobbiest abilities. Equally, I would not slap a British flag on top of a 10ft wall. Maybe a 'Chakra + Stalky forever' flag, but not a British one.

Instead, I would settle for something I 'can' achieve. The simple dictionary term of 'can' will portray the essence of the challenge. Not something I will or won't.

morpheus
June 1, 2004, 1:35 am
so you're saying it's the "degree" of the challenge? let's say a duel with decent or better barret user is a 10. you'd prefer a challenge that ranges, say, around an 8 or less? is that it?

Chakra
June 1, 2004, 1:46 am
'within reach' basically.

As close as possible to impossible while still being possible.

(make me a 6)

that fuking sniper
June 1, 2004, 1:57 am
quote:Originally posted by morpheus
ok, let me get this straight: 1st, you say you enjoy a challenge, but then change to only enjoying a challenge as long as it's within reasonable reach of your abilities. well, that's not a challenge, so therefore, even though you say you enjoy a challenge, in reality you don't.

and no, i don't believe that question was a tad stupid. but i do believe redefining a challenge to ones own standards is.

1. Chakra was asking why *snipers* go for the easier way and not the harder way in which they are likely to have more fun.
that really depends upon the individuals definition of "fun". not all enjoy using the barret, then again, not all enojoy using the ruger, spas, deagles, etc. that's all relative. but one thing a majority do enjoy is getting under other peoples skin, and will do so by any means. so if chakra is famous for complaining about barrets, he should expect others to use it against him if, for nothing more, than to get a rise out of him.
2. He's complaining about the monotaneousness of the game when one has to face hordes of players who use the same weapons and play the same way. Correct?where are you guys playing? now a days i only see maybe 3 - 4 tops using a barret on an 8 - 10 player game.

one thing i'll say, and i'm sure you'll agree on is this; it does suck to unload an auto, or any other gun for that matter, and get a barret user down to his last ounce of health, just to have him run and grab a medi, repower, and turn around and shoot you.

but redefining a challenge and always complaing is something i do disagree with.

On the first arguement: Yes, it does depend on the individual opinion of the player, which, in this case, is Chakra's. And this is *his* complaint, not mine. All I did was try to clarify what he said, which, to my point of view, had some discrepancies with your arguement.

On the second argument: Where do I play? I barely do nowadays, but when I do, I see alot of them, or at least, whenever I go pubbing. Normally its all about the closed clan servers. But again, maybe Europe has a different weapon crowd that you and I dont play due to our timeline? Who knows? You could also qestion the very sensibility of this arguement if it isnt applicable worldwide. But persume the game is filled with M79s and Barrets, which is why the arguement was made in the first place. Now argue.

Kazuki
June 1, 2004, 4:50 am
Morpheus, would you like me to run a test? I'll have PC scrimmage DsA on a non-barret server, and then again with barrets on the same server. PC's scores would decrease from 10-0 to about 4-1. Why? You tell me.

I can also record demos because every damned server I have been to today has been absolutely FULL of Barrets and/or M79's.

As for what you consider a challenge, a challenge is different than impossible. How do you defeat 2 base campers in ctf_Laos without being able to catch them off guard? If one doesn't snipe you and you kill him quickly with an M79 or Barret, or even any other weapon if you're lucky, you will without a doubt be killed by the other. It just isn't possible. It's not. And that's what makes Soldat lose its fun. No matter where you are, when you kill one player, you will get killed by the next because it takes so much longer to kill a one-shot-killer than it takes a one-shot-killer to slaughter you. What Soldat needs is for the weapons to have an effect on the player himself, and that will change the Soldat community for the better. Each weapon reflecting the handler's personality and style. Of course, no one listens to a dumb 14-year-old, so I'll just shut up now.

morpheus
June 1, 2004, 7:33 am
kazquote:Originally posted by morpheus
one thing i'll say, and i'm sure you'll agree on is this; it does suck to unload an auto, or any other gun for that matter, and get a barret user down to his last ounce of health, just to have him run and grab a medi, repower, and turn around and shoot you.in other words, i understand where everyone is coming from. i was just trying to make conversation.

Kazuki
June 1, 2004, 2:16 pm
Well, yeah, but you were kind of countering it with your point on what a challenge is supposed to be. ;) My post wasn't supposed to sound offensive, I'm sorry if it did.

DeMonIc
June 1, 2004, 4:38 pm
Ok, time 4 me to come in n tell what I think.
Im European, for those who know not where in hell is Hungary, and so I can share the things here with u.Most people use barret or M79 because its a one shot weapon, and its quite easy to master.We have said that, so its not to be said again.
I have seen a short conversation of "impossibility".What is seemingly not doable by u alone, maybe a piece of cake in team.But because most players concantrate on themselfes, they will NOT help u do the impossible, which would be then considered a possible.They will just try and prove that their solo actions with the barret OR m79 will be enough to win that situation.
That's why today players will almost SURELY annoy ure "Need backup" or "help!" commands, because they think they don't need u.Again this situation is made by the one-shotters.
Something SHOULD be done, to stop this madness.But I doubt something WILL be done, because it will make a friggin lot of players leave Soldat.Only to leave us, the core, to play.

Rocksicle
June 12, 2004, 4:31 pm
quote:Originally posted by The Noid

Do you notice that all of the weapons you just stated are one-hit killers? That must really say something about you. The thing is that in real life, different weapons give the handler an attribute change. For example, if you are handling an M79, Barret, or Minigun, your speed would greatly decrease. If you go around with a Spas, you would still be able to run and all, but not as well. The same goes for automatics, the chainsaw, and the LAW. Smaller and more compact weapons like the Desert Eagles, the Knife, and the USSOCOM wouldn't actually change your speed, hence the weakness of the weapons. This is what really needs to be implemented into Soldat. There isn't anything wrong with the Barret or the M79. It's just that there are no disadvantages to using them, while there are disadvantages to using weaker , non-one-shot kill weapons.

Wouldn't this mean that if you were carrying a minigun and a law you wouldn't be able to move? And since the minigun is meant to be mounted on a helicopter it's not realistic anyway. Get over it.

Element_101
June 13, 2004, 1:07 am
When talking about skill in soldat you have to talk very losely. Skill is definined buy reflex in most FPS's or 2D shoters like soldat. But in soldat there is very little reflex required, the cause of this being that your hand only has to be moved a fraction to hit your target.

The barret reflects on this by requiring you to only move your hand a fraction once, most other guns with the exception on the M79 require you to move your hand frequently and thus add a whole new dimention of skill to the game.

Snipedmyself
June 13, 2004, 4:27 am
good point element. like it. and people saying miller shiath about random weapon picker, som1 made a prog (forgot) to randomly pick weapons for you. Someone got a satisfactory selecction of Deagle and chainsaw, which they ssemed to like. and the thing about barret, in real mode it has no recoil...although recoil would be useless it should slightly knock you back, even in normal mode, like sg and have super recoil in real...i mean Bullet start power = 272.25 eek! and tank poking projectile....i joined a serva the other day....only weapons being used was 4 weapons...barret, barret, barret, barret. some people had m79..pther 2 was me eagles n knife...it was sad, i wanted to cry.

ô la la la, damn noobs!ô
#9835;la la la, lets c yur boobs!#9835;

Phamp
June 13, 2004, 1:03 pm
mp5 is uber-newbish just pick it up and spray and you get frags..

Dathker
June 13, 2004, 3:14 pm
lol phamp that was the best thing i have heard in a while [:)]
quote: mp5 is uber-newbish just pick it up and spray and you get frags..

^^TRU DAT^^

and just like that barret thing, once one person starts then everyone has it. if someone uses an auto and is good with it, everyone start using it. everyone is just mindlessly choosing the other person's wep cuz they think it will make them better HAHA n00bs these days SHEESH. and stalky there are alot of ruga -ers exect the majority of them are RUGERTARDS giving us a bad name..

Askur
June 13, 2004, 5:32 pm
" mp5 is uber-newbish just pick it up and spray and you get frags.."
Try doing that in realistic friendly fire and see how many of your teammates like you after that [:D]

DeMonIc
June 13, 2004, 5:42 pm
Nah, I dount he is playing on Smoke and Mirrors.
MP5 needs some skills also, but some players can master it faster than others.And then there are n00bs who just keep pressin the mouse button.

MisterX
June 13, 2004, 6:21 pm
-Barret, because it's so damn easy but so damn strong at the same time. Everyone knows this, except most barreters, so this needs no discussion I think.
-M79, because it's imho too easy with the strengh in CTF. Yes, true, M79 needs skill, but not everytime. For example when you're running right towards the enemy and just need to aim forward and shoot to splash the enemy. That's anonying and too easy imho.
-And MP5, because it's easy to use. In close combat it kicks ass, and you don't need to aim as much as with a Steyr or AK wich fire much more accurate. But I don't think it's really overpowered. If so, then just a bit I think, because from a higher distance you can easily kill MP5 users. But if I think of this... It would be the same with M79, hm.. err.. dunno
And to add something: Many people say that Ruger is lame. Imho it truly is, it's just as lame as Barret.. but only in realistic. There it's too strong, but in normal it's not really too strong, and if so, then just a little bit.

And still I stick to my lovely Desert Eagles..

Just my 63 cents.

sanity
June 15, 2004, 3:05 am
autos are n00b anyway i mean if you have enough auto newbies in one place shooting at the same time its almost impossible to get through. semi-auto/single shot weapons increase the fairness by rewarding accuracy and reflex not how many bullets you can pump out per second.

Kazuki
June 15, 2004, 3:41 am
quote:Originally posted by MisterX

Me too! [:D]

And Rocksickle, only the weapon that is in use should count for the effects on a player. If you're carrying a mini, obviously you wouldn't be able to jump. Same goes for LAW. If you pick both, then you wouldn't be able to jump unless you drop one of them. You would also be walking slowly unless you drop either the mini or the LAW. If you have an M79, and you switch to a Soccom, your speed would suddenly increase. Soldat isn't too realistic at the moment, so this couldn't hurt much. There are always alternations that can be made.

Element_101
June 15, 2004, 4:04 am
^This would be added to realistic mode I think^

For those of you who said the MP5 requires skill you are very wrong ,how much skill dose it take to hold down your fingure down on the mouse button? - none

In my opinion guns that spray wildey such as the XM and MP5 dont require as much skill as other guns.

DeMonIc
June 15, 2004, 9:41 am
Element, think a bit before u post.
Imagine the situation:
Realistic mode is ON, with FF and it's inf.U r on the assaulting side, and ruger m79 barret is banned.
There u will use autos like MP5.Then it DOES need skill for u will hit ure teammates with "I PUSH NPWN!!!one" technique, which is, indeed lame.
I recently read peemonkey's post about the XM.. that babe is unfairly hated, for mostly n00bs use it, and it's overweakend cause of the long spin up time.Practice with that, on lagrange realistic: u will see, to kill, u neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed skill.
Thank j00.

LazehBoi
June 16, 2004, 11:07 am
Aww.... More opinion stuff, my opinion, being a MP5 user, is that it doesn't take too much skill, but a bit, i've seen people use the MP5 well, and people who havn't.

grand_diablo
June 16, 2004, 5:49 pm
quote:Originally posted by MisterX
-Barret, because it's so damn easy but so damn strong at the same time. Everyone knows this, except most barreters, so this needs no discussion I think.
-M79, because it's imho too easy with the strengh in CTF. Yes, true, M79 needs skill, but not everytime. For example when you're running right towards the enemy and just need to aim forward and shoot to splash the enemy. That's anonying and too easy imho.
-And MP5, because it's easy to use. In close combat it kicks ass, and you don't need to aim as much as with a Steyr or AK wich fire much more accurate. But I don't think it's really overpowered. If so, then just a bit I think, because from a higher distance you can easily kill MP5 users. But if I think of this... It would be the same with M79, hm.. err.. dunno
And to add something: Many people say that Ruger is lame. Imho it truly is, it's just as lame as Barret.. but only in realistic. There it's too strong, but in normal it's not really too strong, and if so, then just a little bit.

Just my 63 cents.

I totally agree with MisterX.

Barret is definitely too stron and too easy

M79 could be weakened a bit, although its hard to aim exactly on mid - to long distance. And it needs good timing.

Ruger - actually the same prob as it is with barret, BUT if someones gets to know how to aim with it, its too strong. No autowep/deagle/Spas can be that strong even if u handle it perfectly. Maybe in close combat, but youre most likely dead before u come close enough.

Shyo
June 16, 2004, 6:06 pm
You can say that about all weapons, except the autos.. if someone would shoot perfect with deagles they'd be to strong and so on...

but true, barret and m79 in close combat = -___-

SuperKill
June 16, 2004, 6:08 pm
hey wassup ;D
i arrived just in time to look like a jerk and invite anyone to play me with barret while i play with another weapon ;D
-> kph@walla.co.il (get ready to get owned bad) :(
cya again ;>

Element_101
June 17, 2004, 6:02 am
quote:Originally posted by DeMonIc
Element, think a bit before u post.
Imagine the situation:
Realistic mode is ON, with FF and it's inf.U r on the assaulting side, and ruger m79 barret is banned.
There u will use autos like MP5.Then it DOES need skill for u will hit ure teammates with "I PUSH NPWN!!!one" technique, which is, indeed lame.
I recently read peemonkey's post about the XM.. that babe is unfairly hated, for mostly n00bs use it, and it's overweakend cause of the long spin up time.Practice with that, on lagrange realistic: u will see, to kill, u neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed skill.
Thank j00.

Ok I think your the one thats needs to think a bit before posting.
The AK, Mini and Ster all require skill because there bullets follow a steady line. The MP5 on the other hand sprays like a fountion.

elitentity
June 17, 2004, 6:23 am
Well, it sprays in a straight line if ur crouching, and the spray is quite even-1 up a bit, 1 down a bit.

It's true, i see a lot of barrets and m79s (also a rise in mp5s). If people don't want them, just ban on ur serv and call it no one hit kill serv or something.

DeMonIc
June 17, 2004, 9:26 am
Element, I know they need skill, I didn't say the opposite.I just say that don't be flamin the XM it's not an overpowered [:-censored].The MP5 does spray like hell, I know that.I think this argument is kinda pointless n all.Do u play realistic?Hm?Try sprayin with MP5 there.U need to think a bit when using it.(not much tho)

Element_101
June 17, 2004, 10:38 am
No I dont play realistic. And yes this argument is very pointless, truce..

The XM dose take some skill to use your right there.

SuperKill
June 17, 2004, 7:19 pm
rotfl so the minigun takes skill and barret doesnt.
wow forum chatters here are getting more skillfull with every day that passes.

DeMonIc
June 17, 2004, 7:22 pm
Erm...
Try to be first with minigun on real/lagrange with 3 ppl on the server.Come back when u did it.Thank you.

SuperKill
June 17, 2004, 7:40 pm
lol!
is that supposed to be something hard ? or you wanna get me to sleep ?
minigun was, is, and always will be a noob gun that takes 0 skill to use.. like it or not.
'thank you'

palloco
June 17, 2004, 8:25 pm
quote:Originally posted by SuperKill
minigun was, is, and always will be a noob gun that takes 0 skill to use.. like it or not.
You liar. It will not always be, since with weapon editor many people will nerf it.
Since you are wrong here you may be wrong everywhere.

DeMonIc
June 17, 2004, 8:33 pm
But really.. do u ever use minigun?Do u ever play realistic?I get from ure answer no.Killing by not abusing or spreading all over the place is not an easy task.
THANK YOU

Niff
June 20, 2004, 5:51 am
Yarr. I use the DEagles the most now.