( search forums )
DNAgames server
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Dathker
May 30, 2004, 3:36 pm
what ever happend to this server.. with uber custom maps??

grand_diablo
May 30, 2004, 3:41 pm
I miss it too.

In the end, the map selection wasnt the best, cause some maps were really unplayable, but still it was something different and there were gr8 maps too. Re-launch, re-launch, re-launch,...

SERIAL KILLeR
May 30, 2004, 3:42 pm
http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=11338&whichpage=1

DNA.styx
May 30, 2004, 3:44 pm
the servers where pulled due to high bandwidth usage on them...they where too popular for their own good :)

grand_diablo
May 30, 2004, 3:47 pm
quote:Originally posted by DNA.styx
the servers where pulled due to high bandwidth usage on them...they where too popular for their own good :)

hmmm dont let it run the whole time then, but -for example- only in the evening or on weekends. Id really like to see the idea return.

N1nj@
May 30, 2004, 4:36 pm
quote:Originally posted by DNA.styx

does that mean it will never be up again?

Deleted User
May 30, 2004, 4:44 pm
Bring them back with passwords again. That'll keep the numbers down.

DNA.styx
May 30, 2004, 4:45 pm
that is correct, they will not be back.

Kazuki
May 30, 2004, 4:51 pm
Aww, man, that bites. DNA used to be a place for the more experienced to meet. Well, at least when it had a pass. I'll miss that server greatly, especially since now there arn't any servers like it.

Weed
May 30, 2004, 4:51 pm
is that a bad thing or a good thing?

Chakra
May 30, 2004, 5:00 pm
how much does it cost to keep a server, much like dna's, up and running monthly?

Kazuki
May 30, 2004, 5:34 pm
Well, it depends if it is a 10mbit or 100mbit server. I want to know as well. Seeing as how I'm 14, I'm allowed by the law to work part-time for minimum wage. It shouldn't cost too much for a server monthly. I think it also depends on how often it is up.

N1nj@
May 30, 2004, 6:09 pm
Chakra is interested in renting a dna server?

Deleted User
May 30, 2004, 6:13 pm
Wait, you might have come onto something here.

People donate a small amount of money a month to keep the servers up. In return, they receive the server password. Keeps the Soldiers out, and keeps the servers up.

[:D]

Hitman
May 30, 2004, 6:23 pm
Oh great, guess I'm out of the question then..

?
May 30, 2004, 7:28 pm
Heck yeah I'll do it, btw haha you suck Hitman haha..

Deleted User
May 30, 2004, 9:27 pm
I'll pay for you Hitman [:I]

Hitman
May 30, 2004, 10:48 pm
Aww man, you don't have to, I'll figure a way out to pay :) *Hugs Stalky*

Soulsnipa
May 31, 2004, 2:01 am
Unofficial Input from SoulSnipa:

Theres always the option of donating to U13. If the server gets 78$ more it can afford new processors. The speeds will increase and there will be two servers running. One with custom maps (w/ or w/o stats is undecided) and passworded, and the other will be completely public with regular maps and stats. So if you guys all donate, then you could have your server there.

Contact FliesLikeABrick:
http://ultimate13.dynu.com:6080/

Aim:FlieslikeaBrick
Msn:FlieslikeaBrick@hotmail.com

FliesLikeABrick
May 31, 2004, 2:10 am
Official info from FliesLikeABrick:

I am and have been accepting donations towards my server, Ultimate 13 Soldat. These donations are going towards buying 2 new processors for the computer that currently runs my soldat server, webserver, and other miscellaneous things(TS server etc).

When they are upgraded, the old 2 processors will go into an identical server that will run another soldat server, most likely full time. It will run fulltime with custom maps and a password, and can also be borrowed (not rented...free) for clan wars and other private games.

As he said, i am $78 (USD) short of my goal for the new processors, and look forward to meeting it. I can accept regular postal mail donations, donations of used/new computer parts, and paypal donations. The computer parts are sold on ebay and then the money is used for the server. It would only run soldat, no other servers, resulting in no CPU load-related lag
If this sounds good to you, consider it a little more and support what you hold dear.
-Brick
Ultimate 13 Soldat - http://ultimate13.dynu.com:6080

Famine
May 31, 2004, 2:11 am
HArdly play U13....

Dathker
May 31, 2004, 2:17 am
yeah it allways full :(

FliesLikeABrick
May 31, 2004, 2:25 am
with donations, the normal U13 public player limit would most likely also be raised to 10 or 12. Then there would also be a new server computer using the old processors. It would run custom maps and private games, and always have a password. I'm not asking for ppl to tell me their opinins of U13 anyways, im just offering you guys a solution to your little mishap with the DNA servers.
-Brick

Soulsnipa
May 31, 2004, 2:56 am
What makes U13 and Dna different? All I see is the name "DNA" and "U13", plus U13 has stats. I may be wrong but I think the speeds will be the same. The only difference is that DNA gets more publicity and is the classic "soldat" server. But thats all about the community, things can change....

Chakra
May 31, 2004, 3:39 am
... i wonder if i could raise enough money by selling my underwear on ebay...

*hopes stalky has a credit card*

Famine
May 31, 2004, 4:47 am
maybe if ya make it pwed....maybe then

Kazuki
May 31, 2004, 5:17 am
quote:Originally posted by Dathker
yeah it allways full :(

Until I come in, kick your butt, and you leave! =D I'm just kidding. Yeah, Dathker has a point. I would donate, but with no job, the only money I have is lunch money, which I got from my parents.

kevith
May 31, 2004, 6:33 am
$78 eh... if 78 people donate just $1 that'll cover it (my math skills are rather incredible). So I'll donate $1.

Deleted User
May 31, 2004, 9:04 am
I'll give you some cash. I don't know how much yet, but we'll see.

quote:Originally posted by Chakra
*hopes stalky has a credit card*

[:D]

-karvinen-
May 31, 2004, 11:13 am
I'm bored with the same old maps

Meandor
May 31, 2004, 12:01 pm
DNA = Europe U13 = USA
Thats the difference

Dathker
May 31, 2004, 12:12 pm
thats true thats why it lags for teh frugb0y
lol kazuki... you do kick my ass :(

FliesLikeABrick
May 31, 2004, 2:35 pm
for anyone who is interested in donating, hit me up on AIM and ill give you the necessary info. once i get the new processors, the new server would be pwed and probably up full time, depending on how much use it gets. AIM: FliesLikeABrick
-Brick
http://ultimate13.dynu.com:6080

Soulsnipa
May 31, 2004, 8:33 pm
There is a greater Population of Soldat Peeps in Europe? or is it greater in the US?

Kazuki
May 31, 2004, 9:33 pm
As far as I know, the US has a greater population of Soldat players.

HellRaider
May 31, 2004, 11:11 pm
I could always password |Who? Clan Server hosted by jarvizzle. Except for the occasional lag spike i barely ping on it. If you want me to let me know and ill post the password on teh forumz..

Dathker
June 1, 2004, 3:09 am
you can.. but i don't know the [:-censored]ing password so
b000000000 meanny you hellraider!! tsk tsk!

Kazuki
June 1, 2004, 3:27 am
quote:Originally posted by HellRaider
I could always password |Who? Clan Server hosted by jarvizzle. Except for the occasional lag spike i barely ping on it. If you want me to let me know and ill post the password on teh forumz..

Problem solved Dath. >_>

Dathker
June 1, 2004, 3:29 am
but where on teh forusm

Kazuki
June 1, 2004, 3:30 am
Uhm... maybe in General Discussions, called "Who? Clan Server" ?

FliesLikeABrick
June 1, 2004, 3:57 am
i believe that most of the Soldat community is euro because that is where the game is from originally. And yes... my server is much better for US players, just like most euro servers are much better for euro players
-Brick

Element_101
June 1, 2004, 4:01 am
Id we willing to pay for server excetpt for the fact I couldnt play being on 56k and in australia...

FliesLikeABrick
June 1, 2004, 4:04 am
yeah that sucks
-Brick

Element_101
June 1, 2004, 4:05 am
Yes... yes it dose

Kazuki
June 1, 2004, 4:15 am
If you're old enough to work for minimum wage, you could get a part time job during the summer to be able to pay for DSL. SBC Yahoo! is a VERY nice DSL service and it's only $26.95 a month. I don't know if they are in service in Aussie though. =| The speed is really very nice. If you can afford that, and if U13 gets better processors, than you will definately be able to play comfortabally in U13.

CracK
June 1, 2004, 8:34 am
in sweden u can get 10mb for 20 bucks, and like 100 mb for 25 bucks...
/me wonders why i bought the 10mb package.

Anyway thats a good idea Kazuki..

Deleted User
June 1, 2004, 10:38 am
Heres an idea - the people who donate money (a certain amount of money) should become remote admins. This would ensure they can join the server when they want, even if its full.

Kazuki
June 1, 2004, 2:08 pm
Thanks, CracK. Just an addition to Stalky's idea, I think they would have to donate a certain amount of money to be admin. Five or maybe even ten dollars sounds good. Because what if everyone sends a dollar just to become admin? U13 would crash everyday because of all the admins joining.

FliesLikeABrick
June 3, 2004, 6:40 am
well, with the new processors it probably wouldnt crash nor lag :D but yes, a minimum for admin would be a good idea just to keep me sane. (assuming i use the idea)

-Brick

Kazuki
June 3, 2004, 7:04 am
lol, Well, I was overexaggerating, but you know what I mean. Having a server of 10 people and about 10 remote admins, it WOULD lag, now wouldn't it? At least one bit? <_<

Deleted User
June 3, 2004, 10:42 am
quote:Originally posted by Stalky
the people who donate money (a certain amount of money)

Kazuki, read my post properly please [:P]

Element_101
June 3, 2004, 11:05 am
quote:Originally posted by Kazuki
If you're old enough to work for minimum wage, you could get a part time job during the summer to be able to pay for DSL. SBC Yahoo! is a VERY nice DSL service and it's only $26.95 a month. I don't know if they are in service in Aussie though. =| The speed is really very nice. If you can afford that, and if U13 gets better processors, than you will definately be able to play comfortabally in U13.

Yes I know this would seem like a ideal solution to the problem but I dont think we can even get it out here... we live about 50k out of melbourne so I dont think It would work....

Enik
June 4, 2004, 11:40 pm
ok, dnatimes are gone.. but more and more people come to our server, so thats something like it to since it has pass:)

Dathker
June 6, 2004, 8:01 pm
haha enik! yes i think that people who donate a certain amount of money shoul get admin ;)

Souza
June 6, 2004, 9:16 pm
i miss dnagames server :S

Spectral
June 6, 2004, 11:16 pm
enik i assume ur talking about the c'n's server? which if so I'm banned from and have asked numerous times to be unbanned but have received no response nor consolation.

Dathker
June 7, 2004, 6:08 am
you must not be very special then... and we are talking about the DNAgames server/Ult 13 server... i dun even know how the c'n's server came out of that...

n00bface
June 7, 2004, 6:36 am
quote:Originally posted by CracK
in sweden u can get 10mb for 20 bucks, and like 100 mb for 25 bucks...
/me wonders why i bought the 10mb package.

Anyway thats a good idea Kazuki..

he's serious too man...i know people who get 100mbit connections in sweden for $18 a month..I don't know why the [:-censored] the internet isn't overrun by swedish webhosting/server hosting companies..

Element_101
June 7, 2004, 10:30 am
Austraila has the worst web service in the world.... poor us!

BeatMeUp
June 7, 2004, 11:20 am
what game server company can host soldat in US and European. I am planning to have some server running later on.

I know about selfkill.de already but I want some other company that will host soldat game server.

If anyone know about them please tell me. Thx

cup_of_squirrels
June 7, 2004, 5:14 pm
Ok thats enough waiting

START THE SERVER UP AGAIN DAMNIT ILEEEEEEEY!

Spectral
June 8, 2004, 2:50 am
quote:enik i assume ur talking about the c'n's server? which if so I'm banned from and have asked numerous times to be unbanned but have received no response nor consolation.

quote:you must not be very special then... and we are talking about the DNAgames server/Ult 13 server... i dun even know how the c'n's server came out of that...
dathker notice I began enik in my post, who is in c'n's, so when he said "our" server, i naturally thought of the c'n's server....which also has a pass, unlike ult 13 most of the time...

Dathker
June 8, 2004, 3:29 am
it has a pass???hrmm i don't remember that..

Enik
June 11, 2004, 1:12 am
Yes it has a pass, and spectral, i dunno why you are banned, im no admin so i cant really help ya. sorry

Dathker
June 11, 2004, 3:02 am
rightio then :0

Spectral
June 11, 2004, 5:47 pm
i think i spammed in it one time :O

n00bface
June 13, 2004, 4:15 am
btw, does anyone know how much bandwidth a 12 person uses up on average per month? please don't answer me with another question, i only want an estimate based on whatever the circumstances :|

DNA.styx
June 13, 2004, 5:54 pm
This was the weekend stats for one of the DNAGs 10 player servers: pic

Spectral
June 13, 2004, 8:24 pm
hmm what happened the next week

DNA.styx
June 14, 2004, 12:57 am
? roughly the same ammount of bandwidth was used.

Dathker
June 14, 2004, 4:12 am
w0w thats alot of band width dna...

Soulsnipa
June 14, 2004, 7:29 am
how do u read it?

Dathker
June 14, 2004, 4:03 pm
just notice how the green i higher on the part where it is the weekend doh!

DNA.styx
June 14, 2004, 5:34 pm
yup, more green = more outgoing bandwidth.

Souza
June 15, 2004, 11:03 pm
Dnagames server is a spot in the horizon... i still have the hope that styx firm (or whatever) will put it back again.. xD

DNA.styx
June 16, 2004, 1:21 pm
Nope, I'm afraid the DNAGames' servers will not be back.

Subslider
June 16, 2004, 2:02 pm
ahhhw.. i missewd it right from the start.,..
now?.. i hardly play anymore..

what if we asked companies to host a server?.. will they do that?.. has it done before?..

Dathker
June 17, 2004, 2:26 am
why don't you just reduce the players then it won't take up as much bandwidth?

FliesLikeABrick
July 23, 2004, 1:23 am
This is my follow-through on what i had said in this thread: http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=16009
The thread is yet to be refined, and I will clean it up once it gets moved to the proper forum. The maps in the server's rotation will also be refined once the server becomes more popular, so that it more closely meets the expectations of the DNA server.
-Brick