( search forums )
Did you know... Soldat can play OGGs?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Apage43
June 1, 2004, 2:00 pm
If, you are a registered soldat user, and use the internal mp3 player, soldat's internal mp3 player can play OGG Vorbis audio files as well. Just put the ogg files in Soldat's mp3 directory as you would an mp3 file, and THEN, you have to manually insert the ogg filename into mp3list.txt, such as, taking germs.ogg, putting it in Soldat/mp3s, then adding a line to Soldat/mp3list.txt that says

germs.ogg

This also works with WMA/ASF files. This works because Soldat uses FMOD to play mp3 files, FMOD also supports WMA and OGG.
Now... Anyone wanna suggest some good music for me to listen to while I'm playing Soldat?

Kazuki
June 1, 2004, 2:03 pm
Hey, that sounds pretty helpful, thanks for the 'discovery.'

Shyo
June 1, 2004, 2:29 pm
winamp <_<

BlackSpear
June 1, 2004, 2:31 pm
didn't know that, thnx, though it won't be of mutch help couse I nearly have only mp3's...

?
June 1, 2004, 3:43 pm
*cough*musicmatchworksfine*cough*

Hitman
June 1, 2004, 3:55 pm
..and a OGG Vorbis audio file is...

Apage43
June 1, 2004, 4:15 pm
OGG Is a free audio format, that has better compression AND sound quality than mp3. see http://www.vorbis.com/

773D
June 1, 2004, 4:34 pm
Too bad you have to edit the txt for ogg's though. I'm too lazy. Winamp for ogg's still.

As far as music to listen to, I've currently got the Halo mod on so my playlist consists of different futuristic TV/Movie themes (i.e. Halo theme, Star Trek - TNG, Terminator 3, etc.)

Fangus Deef
June 1, 2004, 5:16 pm
who the hell uses ogg's anyway?

Alamo
June 1, 2004, 5:28 pm
I use Winamp although im registered. With a little extension it works even better with keyboard commands... And i can change the volume...

Shyo
June 2, 2004, 12:31 am
get winamp 5.. there are "global hotkeys" , like you press alt+b and it changes the track.. doesnt matter in which programm you are :P

Element_101
June 2, 2004, 12:46 am
quote:Originally posted by Shyo
get winamp 5.. there are "global hotkeys" , like you press alt+b and it changes the track.. doesnt matter in which programm you are :P

Yeah? I have winamp 5 I had no idea you could do this, cool Il check it out when I get home

Shyo
June 2, 2004, 1:02 am
Options => Preferences => and then global hotkeys ^^;

Famine
June 2, 2004, 1:23 am
I hate wma's....they don't work on mine...too much work to let them play if you gotta open a whole nother file.

Element_101
June 2, 2004, 1:33 am
Still good through..

N1nj@
June 2, 2004, 2:09 am
No, I did not know Soldat can play OGGs.

BlackSpear
June 3, 2004, 12:45 pm
wma's idd suck badly, if there is 1 format that i think is just a FACT that it sucks it's wma...

cup_of_squirrels
June 3, 2004, 4:23 pm
omfg wow.....who in gods name uses ogg?!

b00stA
June 3, 2004, 5:11 pm
quote:Originally posted by cup_of_squirrels

Yeah, why the hell would someone use a FREE codec that has BETTER quality but SMALLER filesizes?
I wonder...

773D
June 3, 2004, 5:16 pm
LOL

Dathker
June 4, 2004, 12:50 am
teh [:-censored] is a OOG?

Element_101
June 4, 2004, 1:12 am
cup of squirrels = owned

Kazuki
June 4, 2004, 1:25 am
quote:Originally posted by b00stA

Yeah, why the hell would someone use a FREE codec that has BETTER quality but SMALLER filesizes?
I wonder...

Because they don't know of it, like most of the people in this forum. :P

Edit:
Cup of Squirrels = PWND!
B00sta = OWND
Kazuki = Yet to be owned. :)

bucky_brad
June 4, 2004, 6:09 am
i dunno kazuki, wouldnt say b00stA was owned more... told off?

b00stA
June 4, 2004, 12:56 pm
The problem prolly is that MP3 was there first and the advantage of OGG over MP3 is too small to produce portable OGG players and alike.

Subslider
June 4, 2004, 1:08 pm
i wish mine mp3 player could hanlde ogg.. ogg is so much better than mp3..=)

DeMonIc
June 4, 2004, 9:40 pm
I wanna be an .ogg format when I grow up =P

Ivan0
June 5, 2004, 4:27 am
cool, didnt know that

F842
June 5, 2004, 10:50 am
oh, kay, kewl, coz u know how EVERY1 uses ogg vorbis. And i kow what one is. sure I do. what> ? WHAT>?

cup_of_squirrels
June 5, 2004, 12:25 pm
ogg are crap quality D:

b00stA
June 5, 2004, 12:52 pm
Stop bitching already.

Apage43 was so friendly to let us know that Soldat can play OGG and WMA files.

cup of squirrels, very interesting, especially the part about quality, yes. >:)

cup_of_squirrels
June 5, 2004, 4:38 pm
It isnt. It plays like crap on winamp D:

Michal Marcinkowski
June 5, 2004, 6:23 pm
I didn't know about this:)

DeMonIc
June 5, 2004, 6:42 pm
lol
rofl
How else can i describe that i pissed myself from laughing? X-)

Kazuki
June 5, 2004, 7:14 pm
quote:Originally posted by DeMonIc
lol
rofl
How else can i describe that i pissed myself from laughing? X-)

Why's that? Because Michal, the man who only implemented the MP3 into Soldat, didn't know that it could play OGG's? That's not offensive to anyone by the way. I'm just making the point that I'm pretty sure Michal didn't create the MP3 player from scratch, and it is possible that he doesn't know everything there is to know about it. :)

DeMonIc
June 5, 2004, 7:24 pm
Still rofl :D
But... I can understand.Afterall Gates made windows, and he doesn't know about a lot of things... (or he is just pure evil).Sorry Michal, didn't want to hurt ure feelings by comparing u to Gates... :D

cup_of_squirrels
June 5, 2004, 9:22 pm
ok....michal didnt know that....oh geez this has to be the funniest....

wait, maybe he copied the code from one of those code librarys?

DeMonIc
June 5, 2004, 10:43 pm
Then :P
Just I thought it's kinda odd that u don't know what positive features ure program has.Nevermind.

b00stA
June 5, 2004, 11:35 pm
Since Michal uses the FMOD library (yes, he "copied" it), Soldat can prolly play a few other things:
MIDI, AIFF and the tracker formats like IT, MOD, XM and S3M.
http://www.fmod.org/fmodfeatures.html

Michal, how about changing the way Soldat lists the sound files in-game so it displays OGG, IT, MOD etc. too? While you're at it, allow the users to link to files outside of the \mp3\ folder :)

grand_diablo
June 5, 2004, 11:40 pm
Since Michal uses the FMOD library (yes, he "copied" it), Soldat can prolly play a few other things:
MIDI, AIFF and the tracker formats like IT, MOD, XM and S3M.
http://www.fmod.org/fmodfeatures.html

Michal, how about changing the way Soldat lists the sound files in-game so it displays OGG, IT, MOD etc. too? While you're at it, allow the users to link to files outside of the \mp3\ folder :)

This would be great. Moving around songs just to listen to them in Soldat is somewhat exhausting.
mmmh MOD files, i can imagine listen to some classic game's music while playing, woohoo [:D]

And if youre in a run, Michal, you *might* have a look at the mapping forum [:P]

zephyr
June 6, 2004, 6:09 pm

I wonder...

No need to wonder, dude. Same reason everyone use Windows over Linux even if windows is bug ridden. Same reason why people use Internet Explorer over Firefox even tought Ie as critical flaws. It's more popular and everything is built on them. Everyone is using it, so why bother?

As for the music file format .ogg. Way easier to get mp3 files than oggs...

Subslider
June 6, 2004, 7:00 pm
but if ogg. was brought on before mp3 than ppl would say mp3 sucks and they all loved their oggs..
i use ogg.. i love ogg... wish everythin was build on ogg instead of mp3..=)

BlackSpear
June 9, 2004, 10:13 pm
quote:Originally posted by zephyr
No need to wonder, dude. Same reason everyone use Windows over Linux even if windows is bug ridden. Same reason why people use Internet Explorer over Firefox even tought Ie as critical flaws. It's more popular and everything is built on them. Everyone is using it, so why bother?

As for the music file format .ogg. Way easier to get mp3 files than oggs...

lol, I use linux on my other hd and use mozilla firefox and thunderbird under linux and windows :P
but still have almost no ogg's though :S