( search forums )
Building Map With -Shadows- [test]
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
zedner
June 14, 2004, 4:30 pm
Hiyall! I've started a little map test.

I've made a big building with stairs and elevator shaft and then added one scenery object as a shadow layout. The main areas I've concentrated in this map are the stairs and the elevator shaft, with "lights" they look kinda cool, when bodies drop along them.

It's just a test so I havn't made it look very good and havn't added waypoints yet, just a couple of starting points to the top of the stairs/elevator shaft.

[IMAGE]

Just try it and tell me how do u like the shadowing idea?

[URL]

DeMonIc
June 14, 2004, 4:58 pm
Looks pretty cool.Thumbs up!

Subslider
June 14, 2004, 5:10 pm
me likes it.. maybe you would like to take a look @ my mapidea?..=)

G2KT
June 14, 2004, 6:58 pm
wow thats pretty cool zedner... how was it t hat you made the lights and shadows... makes it look cool... [:)]

MercyM
June 14, 2004, 7:27 pm
[:-thumbu][:D][:-thumbu]

Famine
June 14, 2004, 7:44 pm
Nice since my shadow idea looked like [:-censored]

Droopy
June 14, 2004, 8:20 pm
That's very shaga dellic!

I noticed that every newbie makes a good map! Some almost make it to HOLLY [:-censored] THAT'S AVESOME!!!! And not becouse theyre new here and the map is good. Get it?

Alamo
June 14, 2004, 8:26 pm
The effects are nice but I don't think the map is more than a study b/c it is full of jumpy polys, has nearly no playability and the stairs are literally annoying :)

Droopy
June 14, 2004, 8:50 pm
Well it look's good...

zedner
June 14, 2004, 10:04 pm
I wonder, is there any other way to prevent the jumpy polys than create new ones? Also I've posted way time ago my first map "Dark underground", which had also some shadows(can't find it now)... I just love shadows in maps! [:D]

U can get the "Dark underground" map @ my site, LS-SOLDAT yet at www.sunpoint.net/~zedner

Yes, at start , this one was a somekind of test, but since the feedback is so positive and I've done this pretty far now plus if I can get the bugs fixed, I'll finish it and show how I did it.

G2KT
June 14, 2004, 10:51 pm
I gotta admit though... you have a badass website... you make it all yourself.

Darac
June 15, 2004, 3:48 am
i played around with shadows a while ago in my glacier map heres a link to it if you wana have a look at how i did it.

http://soldatforum.dnagames.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=6844&SearchTerms=Glacier

zedner
June 15, 2004, 10:08 am
Pretty good map [:D], I believe it was made same way like my "Dark Underground".

Darac
June 15, 2004, 10:52 am
thanks vedner, its one of my favorits out of the ones iv made.

Deleted User
June 15, 2004, 1:07 pm
Thats great zedner. :O And that is one of my favourite maps too Darac... But i didn't remember you made it. :/

Darac
June 15, 2004, 11:25 pm
you see my picture thats at the bottom of my posts? well those are a few or my maps iv made. and glacier is the 3rd from the right. ;)

Alamo
June 15, 2004, 11:27 pm
you can see such a lot of the map Darac ;)

Darac
June 15, 2004, 11:34 pm
lol yeah... well its kinda hard with limited space... but its the thought that counts right?

zedner
June 16, 2004, 5:59 pm
BTW, Subslider, u said somthing about ur mapidea, sure I'd like to see it.

Subslider
June 16, 2004, 6:53 pm
well its basicly the same idea as yours..

xept the way the building is made.. + its an inf map..

awell just check it out..=)

[URL]

GhostM@ster
June 17, 2004, 11:21 am
Nice map !!! and good shadows ! [:-jump]

GluLm
June 17, 2004, 3:57 pm
Good use of the shadows there. Still many bumping polygons, but the rest is ok.
It must be hard to create such shadows with a so small scenery file!
You could fill in the empty parts all around the building so that it doesn't look like it's flying.

Darac
June 17, 2004, 11:05 pm
its hard to make building maps because of the bugs in soldat. thin polygons end up bouncing and you can be blown through them by grenages ect... also you can throw grenages right through thin polies too.... iv wanted to make some real detailed urban maps... but i couldnt because of all the bugs and problems it creates.

zedner
June 18, 2004, 12:57 am
hmm.. maybe I should call off this map cause all of the bugs it has, had been making lot of it tho.. But it would be deal of pain to recreate those jumpy polys and scenery [V].

Still I'll make somekind of tutorial of making shadow layout to a map in the near future.

Darac
June 18, 2004, 6:11 am
you can make a building map... but the walls and floor have to be thinker. like about the same width or maybe a bit more than the width of a soldger.