( search forums )
Some suggestions for the next release.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
caole261188
June 16, 2004, 9:47 am
A few suggestion for the next release of Soldat

The first to say, I love this game, because I love Quake, Counter Strike too. But there's still something I want to suggest.

1. About Game style

Currently there're 6 game styles in the game: Deathmatch, CTF, Pointmatch etc.

The Deathmatch game is interesting. But if I play it for couple of hours without resting or a couple of days not going to school, it will be boring. I think that there should be somewhat like money in the game. This is my suggestion: When you respawn, you get for example 50$ to buy weapons (Each type of weapon has its own price, how much it costs depends on how strong the weapon is). When you kill someone, his purse will be dropped, so you just find the purse and you'll get all the money inside (sorry, my English is not very good, do you get the point?). This sounds like Counter Strike, but if the game has it, it'll be more interesting to play. It doesn't matter if you don't want to change, it's just my suggestion.

For the CTF, it's excellent. However, when your team's flag is out of position, it shouldn't be returned with just a touch. I mean, when the red flag is somewhere on the ground, if you want to return it to its place, all you have to do is to run and "touch" it. I think that it should be the way like when you capture the flag, you have to carry it by yourself to its original place (Once again, you can see that my English is so BAD!! Can you help me with my English?). And the game should be played round by round. That is, each turn, your team has to fight until the opponents all die, the rest you have to do is to capture the flag. It's really difficult if you've killed all the enemy, and you run to the opponents' base with low HP, and you get killed when the enemy respawn suddenly somewhere near the flag (there's some problem in the verb tense of conditional sentence, I know but I cannot correct the mistake, please try to understand what I'm trying to say ;) ).

The point match is great too. I must say that you all are very creative that you can create such a great game. I have no suggestion for this game style because it's perfect.

Teammatch: this is good too. But you should consider which team wins, by its survival. The last team which survives will be the winner of the round. And the point shouldn't be counted by the number of those fools your team kill. It should be counted of the rounds your team has survived. (Does it sound better? I think that it's not much better, but if you think my suggestion is good, take it ;) )

Rambomatch: This is superb!!! But it's really difficult for me to find the place where the bow is hidden.

Infiltration: This is good too. But you should relook at the suggestion I made for Capture the Flag.

For the Modes: Survival mode and realistic mode. I think that you should let the player choose the detailed options. You should seperate the realistic mode into these options: Falling damage, Weapons have recoils and so on.

2. The Options section:

About the Interface Style, you should make a preview pane so that the player will feel more relax when he make his choice.

About the game music and Mp3 player. You should let the player choose to make a playlist of MIDI and MP3 right inside the game.

3. The Player section:

You also should make a preview pane for this section too. So that the player can see what he will look like inside the game, he can decide if he like the hairstyle or not.

The Controls configuration, you should list the current key used for the controls. So that the player know the keys that are currently set.

4. The Exit section:

This section is too bad!! I think that you should remove the Exit button, because no one uses it! ;) I always press Alt+F4 instead because it's faster. I don't want my parents know that I play this bloody game, so that I have to exit right away when they come into my room!

5. Other stuffs:

You should include in the game a Bot editor (I want to create my own bots so that I can play with them). You should also enable the player to change the team's name. There should also be a direct exit button in the playing game (for people like me). You should also make an option so that the parents can let their children play without seeing blood (or you add an Above-16-agreement, not 18 please, because I'm 16 years old!)

Hey, If you make the game something like a story, it'll be excellent. You can create a "campaign" game. Each level has its part in the story. For example: You play as a training cop. In Level 1 you have to protect a VIP to go to a safe place, Level 2 you have to rescue a group of kidnapped people, Level 3 you have to elinimate the hopeless terrorists in a house before the bomb booms, Level 4 you go to assassinate a terrorist boss, who ordered his minion to kill your wife and son etc. My story is great, right?

OK, those are all my (maybe stupid) suggestion after buying and playing the game for a couple of days.

Toumaz
June 16, 2004, 10:31 am
Well, first of all, welcome to the Soldat Forums!

Buy weapons: NO.
Playlist: Yes.
Player preview: YES! I hope it'll be added.
Exit section: Well, to change profiles...
Bot editor: It's easy to edit the bots yourself. Just open the files in "Soldat\Bots" in Notepad.
Campaign: Nope.

And do your mum go nuts if she sees you play bloody games? Not mine. :)

MikeShinoda.pheonix
June 16, 2004, 12:37 pm
okay, there will never be money in soldat.
because then you will have to change the strength of the weapons.
considering their srong and weakpoints, weapons are supposed to be equal in soldat.
People want to use their favorite weapon without having to pay more or less for it, and have it weaker or stronger.
therefore, leave it as it is...

peemonkey
June 16, 2004, 8:52 pm
use the search funkshun. arg...i wish people had sense to look through what's been discussed

Smeep
June 16, 2004, 9:12 pm
How come you don't want your parents to know?

kevith
June 17, 2004, 12:12 am
I think your CTF suggestions are kind of interesting. Let me try to rephrase them for you to see if I understand what you're proposing:

1) Rather than just having to touch the flag to return it, you want the returning team to have to carry it all the way back to their own base.

- I would be curious to try this.

2) You want CTF to be played in Survival Mode style where once everybody on one team dies, they won't respawn until a certain time later.

- This has been discussed before and I think it would be interesting to at least try out. The other team should all respawn as soon as you score though.

edit: I am the beast.

caole261188
June 17, 2004, 4:28 am
OK, you got my point kevith. When you carry your flag to its home, it'll be more fun. You will have to face more danger and it's really thrilling!
Anyway, sorry for not reading the rules before posting this topic ;)
It's just a joke when I say that my parents don't want me to play bloody games. I mean that my graphic card is not very good one, so I want to reduce the effects of the game. I don't want blood appear so much that it will slow down my game!!

And to edit the bots by hand is difficult to, I don't know what most of those lines in the bot file mean!!

societies_punishment
June 17, 2004, 5:47 am
There's a big problem with the CTF return flag concept, in fact this is probly why micheal never programed that in, that is if he ever concidered it.

Any CTF game I have ever played weither in a PC game or during real life like in paintball, there was always a player out of the game to return the flag ... the reason why is complex but here goes.

The players defending the flag are to not take it from the flag station to keep them from hideing it somewhere and therefore upon returning the flag the flag returner cannot participate in the game until returning the flag, becuase if they are returning the flag then they can now hide it somewhere which defeats the point of haveing a rule to keep the defenders from takeing and hideing their own flag.

simple isn't it [:P]

If you would like a better suggestion, I perpose that when you touch the flag to return it you are then forced to respawn (at the flag station) which would be more realistic since returning the flag involves returning to the main camp anyways and you would continue the game. [:D] In normal ctf rules the flag returner or "neutral player" cannot be part of the game until it's returned and so the respawn time would be like walking the flag back to base.

About the CS suggestions, people like soldat the way it is makeing the game more like CS will cause it to loose its distinctiveness and besides who would play a 2D version of Counter strike ... I would just play the real deal, but I like soldat better. We need to string some christmas lights to the search button this is some bullsh!t.

You don't need a bot creator. Just open a .bot file in note pad make changes and then save it under a different name. It takes all of what five minuits to make a bot and you don't have to spend time makeing a bot creator or finding and downloading a third party one you can acually make one faster useing my method that's how I always made mine.

Like the bot suggestion half of this stuff would be nice but lets be realistic would you take the time to program stuff like that in ... when you can already do it. Sure you may have to manually enter the music, sure you may have to start a game to see your character design, but really all we need is something that can get us in a server ... killing people. Guess the buttom line is we have a system that works ... don't fuk with it. [:D]

but really there are some important suggestions like this one for example.

Make it so you can download the maps you don't have from the host server ... and no I won't let it go. That's why it's a part of my sig.
Face it to enjoy custom maps, we need something like this..... above any other suggestion anyone out there can think of.

elitentity
June 17, 2004, 6:43 am
I like your flag suggestion alot. It would be interesting to see it in action; test it in a beta version (pre-release).
Soldat really needs an auto map download code. I'm getting bored of the same maps over and over again (even though i'm better at handling the terrain nowbecause of that)

caole261188
June 17, 2004, 10:12 am
There's something that I don't under stand in socities_punishment post.
How can I hide the flag in Soldat? It sticks on your hand!
But there's some problems if you carry two flags at a time: the enemy flag and your team's flag. I think in that situation, you will have to dump your gun :D

Gaah
June 17, 2004, 10:16 am
well, maybe not having the flag have to be carried back, coz as societies_punishment pointed out, ppl can hide with the flag.... maybe you just have to hold on to it for say, 5 seconds/10 seconds/you can set how long (server side... that would be a good idea :) ) that way you cant just kill someone in their base and have an easy return, you would have to stay alive as well.

Smeep
June 17, 2004, 11:26 am
Twas what I was thinking Gaah, but my version was different, but to that in a moment.

Caole, you could hide the flag by hiding the person carrying it, just hide him in a corner some where and hurray!

But my version was you could say have 15 seconds to return the flag to it's base, or be killed by "a godly force" lol, and the flag would then be dropped, and so achieving nothing by hiding the flag but a death.

societies_punishment
June 17, 2004, 9:23 pm
Just have them respawn at the flag station upon touching the flag and the respawn time would be based upon how far a person is away from the flag station.

Since a netruel player cannot participate in the game anyways, this is the only way which is fair because someone could run off and hide somewhere with the flag ... oh yeah and a netreul player can under no circumstance have both flags it just can't happen in a ctf game its not fair to have the person that steals the flag and cannot be shot because he is netruel.

It's just simpler and eayser this way.

The distance from the flag would decide the respawn time and you would spawn in at the flag station.

The person can only have one flag so touching the flag when you already have the enemies means that you can't return it.

I think this idea should be a keeper should we run it to Micheal?

Blue Devil
June 18, 2004, 9:58 am
no, I think the returning is better now... but it is cool.... and no mony!!!

caole261188
June 21, 2004, 6:20 am
I have something to agree and disagree with you all.
We should have a limited time for the flag carrier to return the flag to the pole. If the time exceeds, the player will ofcourse die. But the time limit will depend on many other things such as: the number of enemies that prevent you from returning it, the distance between your place and the flag pole etc. So do anyone else have another better idea?

G2KT
June 21, 2004, 6:38 am
I liked the idea of having to pick up your own flag and bring it back to your own base. Even if the person hides with it i still like it. Its fun searching for the flag. o_0... or to me it is.

societies_punishment
June 22, 2004, 6:21 am
Still the simplest and fairest way to do it is my suggestion, and I gurrentee if you take it back by yourself there will be alot of complaning and surely way more bugs. I admit to take it back yourself would be cool but lets be realistic, you get 100 percent the same results and it's simplier to code and more fairer for everyone. .... maybe you need another explaination perhaps? do you guys understand what I mean?

Niff
June 22, 2004, 7:11 am
Campaign is an interesting idea. *ponders*

GluLm
June 22, 2004, 8:28 am
I'm against the "player preview", and the other ideas too.

b00stA
June 22, 2004, 2:00 pm
quote:Originally posted by GluLm
I'm against the "player preview", and the other ideas too.

Any reasons for that?

I like the idea, just have a look at it.. what speaks against it?
[IMAGE]

Toumaz
June 22, 2004, 3:37 pm
I speak for it.
Looks great!

Svirin Kerath
June 22, 2004, 5:01 pm
you could also test out the keys in that window too.... *thinks* great idea!

sanity
June 23, 2004, 2:48 am
sounds very handy... this plus characters to choose from [URL] would be awesome.

Deleted User
June 23, 2004, 8:21 am
yea..
though we dont want it 2 becum like gb
win games get money
buy avatar stuff
which is really annoying.
btw gunbound is like online worms
www.gunbound.net