( search forums )
Team Switch Suggestions
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Kazuki
June 18, 2004, 8:33 pm
Ok, I'm not at all sure if these have been posted before, but here I go.

My first suggestion first came to me when I was playing in Games.Himitsukichi. Teams were never even. I had to switch teams so many times in each game, and in the end my score was very, very low. I was asking myself why players lose their points when they switch teams. Why exactly is that? I mean, can't we just have our points registered into the server's memory, so that when we switch teams our scores are the same?

Secondly, I was wondering about being able to switch places with someone. It's really annoying when a server is full, and you can't switch teams, couldn't you just flip places with someone? I don't know how exactly it would be done. If you have ideas for this to dwell on, please post.

Thirdly, I know this is offtopic, but I really hate it when I look at my score table (F1) in a CTF or Infiltration server and wonder how many kills I had exactly, since the Capture points and kills are combined. Would it be possible to add a "Caps" section to the score table in CTF and Inf games?

Deleted User
June 18, 2004, 8:38 pm
For first one. People should be quite out if you posted a screenshot where there is 4 caps for team 1 and 0 for team 2. And then there is some guy on team 2 that has 75 points. (Capped on the other team but then changed the team.)

For second one. I don't really know how it should be made. :P

For third one. This has been suggested before and i liked the idea.

Marbire
June 18, 2004, 9:03 pm
quote:Originally posted by Kazuki
My first suggestion first came to me when I was playing in Games.Himitsukichi. Teams were never even. I had to switch teams so many times in each game, and in the end my score was very, very low. I was asking myself why players lose their points when they switch teams. Why exactly is that? I mean, can't we just have our points registered into the server's memory, so that when we switch teams our scores are the same?

Hmm..... I like it more where you lose your points if you switch teams. It can get very confusing if you are on a team with like no caps, but lots of points, like Ville pointed out.

One thing I WOULD like fixed though is color bugs. When people switch teams their shirts sometimes don't change. Very annoying. Get it all the time. I also still get Wrong Map bugs all the time.

Secondly, I was wondering about being able to switch places with someone. It's really annoying when a server is full, and you can't switch teams, couldn't you just flip places with someone? I don't know how exactly it would be done. If you have ideas for this to dwell on, please post.

Well, I don't know how exactly a "switch" function would be put in. If it's full, and you can't switch, just leave the server, and join again quickly. Not too hard.

Thirdly, I know this is offtopic, but I really hate it when I look at my score table (F1) in a CTF or Infiltration server and wonder how many kills I had exactly, since the Capture points and kills are combined. Would it be possible to add a "Caps" section to the score table in CTF and Inf games?

I like this idea. In the scores table they should point out how many caps someone has, how many kills somoene has, and the total points.

N1nj@
June 18, 2004, 9:11 pm
I like the first suggestion, I agree to it totally, I mean, why lose points just because of switching team? that ain't right. I support this FULLY

I think you can't switch places with someone is not because it is full...i think balance team is on.

and for the last one, rather than jamming the player score list, why not just put it where the Player Status is

for those how don't know where the player status is, is on the right side of this picture (the numbers):

[IMAGE]

We could just simply add a different color number beside the '0' which will show the number of caps you cap in the games, and the '0' number will show the amount of kills you have.

I hope you get what I mean

quote:Originally posted by Chakra
hmm...here's what may be a practical way of introducing your 'flip teams' idea.

You're a in game, you press ESC, and you click 'flip teams'. You browse the list of members and click the one you wish to exchange with.

In this guy's interface, a little 'popup' flashy thing at the bottom right will light up with a small introduction sound. The man presses ESC, clicks 'flip teams' and then selects yes or no on "would you like to exchange teams with that other guy?" Boosh...they flip.

...very nice idea man.

Some lame people might spam you with 'popup'

Chakra
June 18, 2004, 9:11 pm
hmm...here's what may be a practical way of introducing your 'flip teams' idea.

You're a in game, you press ESC, and you click 'flip teams'. You browse the list of members and click the one you wish to exchange with.

In this guy's interface, a little 'popup' flashy thing at the bottom right will light up with a small introduction sound. The man presses ESC, clicks 'flip teams' and then selects yes or no on "would you like to exchange teams with that other guy?" Boosh...they flip.

...very nice idea man.

Kazuki
June 19, 2004, 1:35 am
I like Chakra's idea. As for the spam, a feature could be added in which you can "lock in place," meaning that you stay on that team unless you or an admin switch you. When this option is enabled, you are not available for a 'flip offer.'

Also, I like your idea, too, Spyder, but I would also like it on the score table just so everyone can see it. Know what I mean? Otherwise, your idea on adding it to the player status is great.

And Marb, yeah, you're right, but it gets very annoying currently when you have to keep switching about 5 times each game because the teams are uneven. At least keeping your points puts a limit to the loss. Right now, you lose both your team's caps, and your points, but if you didn't lose your points, you would still have part of your achievement, even though you're on a team with a different number of caps.

Once again, I really like Chakra's Call and Response idea, it should be looked over. Thanks for the input guys.

kevith
June 19, 2004, 2:41 am
I've always liked the different variations on these ideas that I have seen. There really only seems to be any debate oabout the first idea so I'll address that directly. I don't think it's fair to have to be "punished" for switching teams to keep them even. Why does it matter if you have a load of points while your team has none? You earned the points you should be able to keep them.

Kazuki
June 19, 2004, 3:13 am
Exactly, right now it's like giving up something you earned in order to make the game enjoyable for everyone else.

Hova
June 19, 2004, 3:24 am
Thanks to Kazuki for spamming the link to me in an IM; after all, we never talk to each other anyway ;D.

Anyway, seems like a pretty solid idea to me. I wonder if your team should lose the points you gave them for switching over....

Dathker
June 19, 2004, 3:25 am
well the first two are good ideas thus i like those :) but the third one is kind of weary cuz that one column is score not kills unless you had a separate one for kills and a seprate one for cap but that is kind of...dumb? i dunno you guys should be able to add and/or subtract sooooo it shouldn't be a problem.

and could some one PLEASE fix that god damned f1 + chat console thing when you try typing a command????

ugh thats soo annoying

N1nj@
June 19, 2004, 3:43 am
quote:and could some one PLEASE fix that god damned f1 + chat console thing when you try typing a command????

tell that to michal [:P]

Kazuki
June 19, 2004, 4:00 am
quote:Originally posted by Hova
Thanks to Kazuki for spamming the link to me in an IM; after all, we never talk to each other anyway ;D.

HEY! I only sent it to you once! lol

And Dathker, yeah, but it's a lot more useful to know how many caps you have and everything. You can't really calculate because you dont know how many kills you have.

Dathker
June 19, 2004, 8:56 pm
....okay, you are playing for 10-20 minutes, you can't remember how many you have?

Kazuki
June 19, 2004, 10:23 pm
No, and besides, why do it the hard way if there's an easier method?

Edit: Also, I have a suggestion for the forums themselves, especially this forum. Couldn't there be some type of option that lets you ask the moderators to make a topic a sticky, just so that after the mods look it over, and it seems like a descent idea, it can stay up there for everyone to see, so they don't post the same thing over again. It can also be made so that there is only one topic named "All Suggestions" or something similar, and it will name every idea, and link it to the first topic made about it. That way, instead of having to search, people can always look there instead.

KnOt
June 20, 2004, 12:12 am
Why not lose your score when you switch teams? Because as Ville and Marbire pointed out it would be confusing for someone on red team to have his score as though he capped twice while red team were losing 10-0 or something...

I like Chakra's pop up idea, but then again it could be annoying, and lamers could use it to their advantage...

Kazuki
June 20, 2004, 12:16 am
Please read the rest of my posts to see what I have to say to counter those problems. :)

Hitman
June 20, 2004, 12:17 am
I like the idea about the "All Suggestions" topic. I think my sticky in the Bugs forum is doing it's 'job' pretty well (apart from the odd idiots who can't see it, but manage to find the 'New Topic' button) and if it's works there, I don't see the harm in trying it here.

I don't like the Sticky request thingy though, I personally think that it would start to piss us off after while. Mainly cause some people just won't take No for an answer *glances at Ville* and will argue, and perhaps even go to the extent of making a topic about it, and get people to vote, just because that feature is there..

KnOt
June 20, 2004, 12:19 am
I'm too lazy to read the rest =\

Deleted User
June 21, 2004, 9:35 am
I reckon that when you switch teams your kills should be carried over, not your caps. Then people know you are a good player, but the caps score thing doesn't get confusing.

Kazuki
June 21, 2004, 8:59 pm
Well, here's the good part. If caps and kills were seperate, then your caps could be reset, while your kills are kept. How does that sound?

kevith
June 21, 2004, 10:03 pm
I think that sounds like a workable solution Kaz. On a side note: I think it's hilarious how people are afraid they'll be "confused" if somebody has a lot of points but their team doesn't. I think you could figure it out. [:p]

Kazuki
June 22, 2004, 12:15 am
Well, seeing as how people never switch teams, for their sakes, it would take everyone a long time to figure out that switching teams doesn't take your points away anymore. Haha. Everyone would call you a hacker and everything. I think it'd be funny. But yeah, it is common sense, that if someone has 75 points on a team with 0 caps, they obviously switched.

Marine
June 22, 2004, 5:32 am
...but there are people like me, who couldn't give a monkey [:-censored] about the score, who come here to play and have fun, not keep track of the score....

So I switch teams all the time, I don't care about score. Score means nothing.