( search forums )
Parachute release.
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
papasurf31
June 19, 2004, 9:03 pm
You're falling down to the ground with a parachute. You're halfway there when a sniper kills you. You respawn in a parachute again, fall and get sniped. Rinse, lather, repeat, until you get the common sense to try and dodge the shots. Oops, you fall to slow and(bang!) u got sniped n00b. Twenty kills later, you post this stupid topic asking for...

a way to release your parachute quickly so u can fall to the ground faster and not be sniped by rugers and barretards. I know this would cause complications in realistic mode, but I think it should still work. So whaddya think?

Alamo
June 19, 2004, 9:32 pm
yep. Nice idea. I'm for.

BManx2000
June 19, 2004, 9:56 pm
This was posted before but it should be implemented.

Kazuki
June 19, 2004, 11:32 pm
Yeah, it proves useful when you keep getting sniped. It creates more variety. Nice idea.

[off-topic] I also wish there would be some way to make your self fall faster. I don't how exactly, but it proves useful if you want to dodge M79/ Knives/ Barrets. [/off-topic]

Toni_Cicerelli
June 20, 2004, 12:12 am
I think it would be cool if you pressed a key to pop the chute. This way you could avoid the berret tards and still pop the chute to avoid the fall damage in real mode.

papasurf31
June 20, 2004, 12:54 am
By pop the chute, you mean open it of your own free will when you want to, right? like when your playing realistic mode and your almost at the ground, you could pop the chute and save yourself falling damage and jet fuel. (which is really limited in Storm)

BTW - what if, to make yourself fall faster, you can use the down button, cause it has no current use in the air. Kinda like super smash brothers.

Svirin Kerath
June 20, 2004, 4:52 am
...and on the subject of improving parachutes, i think the mechanisms for placing the gosteks should be improved, like so that the ropes go /behind/ the person instead of on their shoulders, and that you could make a round-ish type chute for each rope (if you try, you get one for two ropes and the other rope just kinda.. is parachuteless...)

anyway, if they come from behind the person as you drop, and you purposefully drop from them, it would look a lot cooler than if they came from the shoulders. in fact, you could get some kinda cool sound effect for the release. that would be /sooooo/ boss!!

(signed Svirin, ever concerned with the aesthetics)

Urban2
June 20, 2004, 5:05 am
Yeah, parachuting into an enemy base is cool and all, but you can get killed so easily. Also, if you're playing a level like INF Fortress, and you want to protect a flagger going low while blues are in the base, it would help to get there faster.

Marine
June 20, 2004, 6:01 am
Why do we parachute anyway when we have jet packs?

Alamo
June 20, 2004, 2:15 pm
the parachute was added by Michal for some eye candy... I like it like it is but dropping it wouldn't be wrong either.

DeMonIc
June 20, 2004, 2:33 pm
I support this idea.
BUT
I just wanted to click the "Start New topic" button, cause wouldn't it be cool if u could shoot down ur (n other ppls) parachute?That way u can
1, drop down easily
2, make enemies have a splatting experience XD

papasurf31
June 20, 2004, 3:29 pm
yeah , shooting down parachutes would be a little more realistic, and would more startegy to this agme which, IMHO, is a bit too much of a button masher even in realsitic mode. Slightly OT but, What i would like to see would be if bots actually had a line of site cause they can see everything al the time. That way, you could sneek up behind tem and kill them. once again: more realsim.

sanity
June 20, 2004, 4:24 pm
great idea, maybe it could be the up (jump) button?

papasurf31
June 20, 2004, 9:51 pm
who/what is sanity talking to/about?

Alamo
June 20, 2004, 9:55 pm
He's talking about dropping the chute with the jump button so no new button has to be added.
Don't you call Soldat a buttonhitter again!

papasurf31
June 20, 2004, 10:04 pm
Lol...
1.) it's a button-masher
2.) it's a button-masher
3.) it's a button-masher
4.) it's a button-masher
5.) it's a button-masher
6.) it's my opinion so live with it
7.) it's a button-masher
8.) Anyone have any responses to my line-of-sight comment?
9.) it's a button-masher but is still fun, or maybe, cause I'm a noob, i'm just not a GOOD nuff playa to have any real startegies. my only one is: find enemy, kill enemy, /piss, rinse lather repeat.

Marine
June 20, 2004, 11:37 pm
You're such a nice man.

Snipedmyself
June 21, 2004, 4:48 am
look! a topic inspired a million years and a zillion times! and eye disagree

*dont implent**

for the falilng faster thing u could dive straight

down but thins could cause problems and i have bugging ideas already 4 thing

also u dont have to fall straight down or into the base, are you an idiot? go left or something...u have a whole map or 2 before ya get to the ground.

ClanKwH
June 21, 2004, 10:04 am
Sounds sweet! =P

papasurf31
June 21, 2004, 2:41 pm
quote:Originally posted by Snipedmyself
look! a topic inspired a million years and a zillion times! and eye disagree

*dont implent**

for the falilng faster thing u could dive straight

down but thins could cause problems and i have bugging ideas already 4 thing

also u dont have to fall straight down or into the base, are you an idiot? go left or something...u have a whole map or 2 before ya get to the ground.

Ok, who the hell understood what that meant?

Svirin Kerath
June 21, 2004, 4:45 pm
i did. he's saying you can move right or left as you fall. actually, you can also boost right or left, or up. i do that on one of the infiltration levels to get over to the top of the base.

papasurf31
June 21, 2004, 8:15 pm
But, the player should have a choice whether or not to release the parachute, so the "problems" he mentioned shouldn't matter, right? and what does "bugging ideas 4 thing" mean?

Niff
June 22, 2004, 10:20 am
Prone in the air is fun on normal mode. Dodges M79 easily from the left and right, same with barret and knife, but from below you're an easy target.

papasurf31
June 22, 2004, 12:46 pm
That's what nades are for...

KnOt
June 22, 2004, 3:00 pm
This is a great idea and if it wasn't implemented before it should be in the next version.

DT
June 23, 2004, 2:09 am
yea it should... or mabye you can just shot your para?

BlackSpear
June 23, 2004, 4:18 pm
uhm, for the people who don't know yet, this can be verry handy:
if you are on the parachute and prone and then hold the jetpacks you decent faster, plus making you move left or right witch makes you harder to hit.

y0da
June 23, 2004, 4:32 pm
i would like one button, maybe under "z" - parchute on/off. Very nice idea papasmurf31

GluLm
June 24, 2004, 12:10 am
I support the idea of dropping from the parachute. I sent a suggestion about that idea to Michal once, but he didn't tell if he'd fix that eventually... Maybe he just likes the parachutes how they are right now.
But again, I support the idea because it's annoying to be trapped just as the player respawns.

papasurf31
June 24, 2004, 12:29 am
Stop calling me papasmurf!!! Its -surf, PAPASURF!!!!!31!!!!! Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!( breathes heavily) HOOOHAAAAAAHOOOOOOHAAAAAAAHOOOOOOO, gooz fraba, gooz frab...

BTW - If the parachute release button was set to [Down arrow] or [S] cause they hace no other uses in the air, wouldn't that work better than say a button not used as a movement key?

Svirin Kerath
June 25, 2004, 5:47 am
i just had an odd, yet amusing bug...
i was desending on the inf_fortress level and went through the crack in the ceiling, all the way to the flag, and then went down to the right, etc... but the parachute never came off. :/

it made it kind of difficult to move, but it was amusing. i got shot and killed. being able to disengage the parachute might have saved my life :/

Snipedmyself
June 25, 2004, 6:33 am
quote:Originally posted by papasurf31
That's what nades are for...

there's colliders so you dont do that
quote:someonecrack in the ceiling, all the way to the flag, and then went down to the right, etc... but the parachute never came off...

i made a cap before X-)

BlackSpear
June 25, 2004, 11:25 am
why are you discussing witch key it should be??? makes no sence...
if it would be implanted then you could configure that key to whatever you like in the player tab anyways...

DeMonIc
June 25, 2004, 11:36 am
I still say making it shootable would be good, cause u can shoot ure enemies as well.

sanity
June 25, 2004, 12:07 pm
Shootable would suck coz it would be an advantage to the auto n00bs.

BlackSpear
June 25, 2004, 6:49 pm
quote:Originally posted by DeMonIc
I still say making it shootable would be good, cause u can shoot ure enemies as well.

already had that thought, but if you would shoot up becouse there is an enemy you would also shoot your parachute. so that would be quite annoing...

papasurf31
June 26, 2004, 12:43 am
How bout if shots would go thru the parachute but would push it a bit to the side or whatever< not much use but what the hey.

Toumaz
June 29, 2004, 4:51 pm
I vote YES.
It's annoying to get sniped when dropping with a parachute.

Droopy
June 29, 2004, 8:29 pm
This what realy need's to be fixed about parachutes!

You shouldnt be able to shoot(your buzy controling teh parachute...)
When spawning in mid air.. You shouldnt be able to jet or anything else so parachutes would realy be handy and there for you would need to open it..

papasurf31
June 30, 2004, 12:06 am
Droopy, that idea sux so much my mom might just use it as a vaccum cleaner. Seriously, do we need to HELP the snipers and campers any more? i think the parachute situation is bad enough as it is.

Deleted User
July 9, 2004, 6:37 am
Im a big fan of soldat and it wouldnt be all that bad to have a map wher u start on a plane and jump out and then open your shoute :)

im all for it :)

dv297
July 9, 2004, 4:08 pm
ok, why don't you just make it so that if you want to get out of your parachute, grab a knife or chainsaw and cut it off. I mean , I dooubt a sniper can be good enough to shoot the thing string.

Hitman131
July 10, 2004, 4:42 am
quote:Originally posted by sanity
Shootable would suck coz it would be an advantage to the auto n00bs.

ok wtf thats just annoying. First you people say barrets are for noobs and scare people away from using that, then you say the miniguns are for noobs and the same thing happens. Then the m79 and the exact same thing happens. WTF GUN ARE WE SUPPOSED TO USE!? were left with secondary weapons, the rugar and the eagles. People who call other people noobs are the real noobs becaues they are ruining the game for everyone by limiting what we can and can not do!

sanity
July 10, 2004, 4:55 am
quote:Originally posted by Hitman131
ok wtf thats just annoying. First you people say barrets are for noobs and scare people away from using that, then you say the miniguns are for noobs and the same thing happens. Then the m79 and the exact same thing happens. WTF GUN ARE WE SUPPOSED TO USE!?

wtf?!? I NEVER said barrets are for noobs (i said the opposite actually) and I think M79 is the most skilled weapon in the game. I call autos 'n00b' weapons because they are just point and hold mouse button, anyone can do that fairly easily. I suggest you read my posts properly and dont MAKE [:-censored] UP about me.

quote:were left with secondary weapons, the rugar and the eagles. People who call other people noobs are the real noobs becaues they are ruining the game for everyone by limiting what we can and can not do!
im not 'limiting' people in any way, its just my opinion that autos are n00b weapons. if you want to be bound by (or your perception of) my every word like im god, go for it. but my REAL opinion (not your made up one) is that everyone can use whatever weapon they want and i hope they enjoy doing so.

papasurf31
July 14, 2004, 3:22 pm
I think sanity needs a hug...from everyone...so, let's all give him a BIG hug, okay?
*hugs sanity and then runs to the bathroom to cleanse himself*
filthy, filthy, filthy...

antiCamper
July 16, 2004, 3:47 am
I fall dead ! xP