( search forums )
Spawn time
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
Chakra
June 25, 2004, 2:52 am
Most servers these days have a spawn time of little more than 5 seconds. This certainly makes for quick and fun gaming. Also tackles the problem of the annoyance of being spawnkilled or facing a few dozen 1-shot weapons in a row.

However, i've recently played on a few servers where the spawn time was up to a whopping 15 seconds. It makes alot of difference.

First off, killing off your enemy has far more value to you and your team because they're out of the game for longer. Flip the coin, and your presence in the game becomes more prescious. No more mad rushing, or end up in limbo.

So...yeah. Just a little thought to any servers out there wanting to add something different
(or something more like CS) : up the spawn time a bit.

BMF
June 25, 2004, 3:04 am
go play CS..

*cough*

Milkman Dan
June 25, 2004, 3:16 am
i played on servers where it was like 30 seconds and it just gets annoying when you get killed so quick by the barretards

DeafBox
June 25, 2004, 3:36 am
This is something ive thought about as well. my opinion is that it should be low (bout 5). The main reason is that if u died, wait 15seconds then get spawn killed, shot with a barret, its another 15 seconds.
Its even worse when there is a major battle around the flag and everyone dies except for 1 guy who can grab the flag and walk home.

I reckon soldat is supposed to be a fast paced game.

quote:Soldat is a unique side-view multiplayer action game. It takes the best from games like Liero, Worms, Quake and Counter-Strike and gives you fast action gameplay with tons of blood and flesh.

Altho, if u look it has got elements from CS. So its a hard one, but i know i enjoy playing and not sitting waiting to spawn.

Skeptik
June 25, 2004, 4:48 am
i think that about a 5 sec respawn should be set, and only able to slide a few seconds, so you wont have to worry about barretards and your enemy can get a head-start on his prize, or the other way around ;p

Snipedmyself
June 25, 2004, 5:42 am
whiny voice: shutuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup!

....a whopping 15 seconds...
when i use to host som inf servers i had it 10 max 15 and i thought that was good. people, stop dying.

"[:-censored]ing spawn time! duhhhh!"
"that was lag, pure lag **ping is 66*"
"noob! those eagles r ghey! use barret fer ubercoolness! i mean awesome penislessfun!"

kevith
June 25, 2004, 6:00 am
I agree with Chak. What's the use of killing somebody if they instantly respawn to protect the flag? Ideally I like to set it at around 10 seconds, but if people whine enough I'll bump it down a bit.

Snipedmyself
June 25, 2004, 6:47 am
yeah. some people.

palloco
June 25, 2004, 8:19 am
In the same time you respawn you can already change to a better server.

DeMonIc
June 25, 2004, 8:31 am
Hmm..
I think teh ideal spawn time is based on map: in inf, it should be mediocore, so it won't get boring for the blue team, and on ctf, it should be high for big maps, and very little for small maps.
It sure does make a difference.. but with high spawn time, maybe u should ban the 1-shot-killers.

Alamo
June 25, 2004, 10:06 am
I think the Spawntime should be as Chak said (at least on team-games) but there should be some kind of spawn protection enabled like 5s after spawn. Right now it's way to short imho. It should be made customizable. That would add a lot of other problems but... who cares :)

BlackSpear
June 25, 2004, 10:25 am
sticking with my dm where you need a respawntime of less then 5 sec :P

Alamo
June 25, 2004, 10:31 am
DM needs a spawntime of 1s (aaaaah third time it write this one damn flood control)

KnOt
June 25, 2004, 11:44 am
Meh.. It's true, when the spawn time is so low it's almost impossible to cap, and it forces you to spawn kill doesn't it?

sanity
June 25, 2004, 11:57 am
Low spawn time makes it too hard to cap but high spawn time makes it too easy to cap.. which is why you need a balance of both. i think for ctf 10 seconds +or- 2 is best.

sativa
June 25, 2004, 1:00 pm
quote:Originally posted by Chakra
Most servers these days have a spawn time of little more than 5 seconds. This certainly makes for quick and fun gaming. Also tackles the problem of the annoyance of being spawnkilled or facing a few dozen 1-shot weapons in a row.

However, i've recently played on a few servers where the spawn time was up to a whopping 15 seconds. It makes alot of difference.

First off, killing off your enemy has far more value to you and your team because they're out of the game for longer. Flip the coin, and your presence in the game becomes more prescious. No more mad rushing, or end up in limbo.

So...yeah. Just a little thought to any servers out there wanting to add something different
(or something more like CS) : up the spawn time a bit.

somehow you are right but u forget most people find it iritant to wait up to 15 seconds yes there should be some sort of thing when u get killed u go following another person but that would be more of survival just activate survival then (i know it is not possible in ctf but i found a few ways how it can be done: select another mode like dm or so then activate survival and then select ctf and start your server) but i play firearms and there is not waiting time neither just the maps are bigger so you wont just get into a mad firefight and some stupid russhing

kevith
June 25, 2004, 6:25 pm
Of course it irritates them to have to wait longer than 2 seconds to respawn, but maybe they should be "punished" for dying. It's pretty annoying for you kill somebody 2 or 3 times on your way to the flag only to have them respawn yet again and kill you before you can get it. I guess what I'm trying to say is "Yes, it might annoy them... but they can deal with it." You don't want Survival because, as Sanity said, you're looking for the balance.

sativa
June 25, 2004, 7:06 pm
grmbl well this problem can be solved just look for ther servers!

kevith
June 25, 2004, 8:47 pm
I think that was the point of this thread... to encourage more people to use a higher spawn time on their server. Decent servers with spawn times of more than 3 seconds are presently almost impossible to find. Looking for their servers isn't going to help if those servers don't exist.

Drama
June 26, 2004, 2:56 pm
Chakra's got point... thought about this myself too

Kazuki
June 26, 2004, 5:43 pm
Yeah, I think 4 to 5 seconds sounds nice. There are many servers that set the maximum respawn to 2 seconds. How sad is that? You kill someone at your base and you'll meet them again in the middle of the map. And yes, it would be better if they chased after you instead oh respawning and being right in your face.

wormdundee
June 26, 2004, 5:51 pm
it depends on the gametype like someone else mentioned up there

for inf it should probably in the mid-range

ctf should be at least 7-8

DM 2 seconds or lower

in CTF there is no way you should have to kill a person 4 times in the time you go from your base to the other, after all, whats the point of killing them then if theyre just gonna come right back wehn your weakened?

?
June 27, 2004, 12:07 am
I like an average spawn time of 6 to 8 seconds, gives you the chance to get the flag and the otehr team still a chance to get you...

Deleted User
May 17, 2005, 9:21 pm
It does.. all servers should be like that!

kkazican
May 17, 2005, 10:52 pm
Yeah it also makes it so people need to make decisions like running into a fight with 70% health or run back to base and get a healthpack. A lot more picky about deciding how to fight. Ups the limits a lot.

DNA.styx
May 17, 2005, 11:13 pm
Guys this thread's almost a year old. Do not open up old threads.

(locked)