( search forums )
Include Race Mode / speed polys
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
grand_diablo
June 26, 2004, 2:29 am
Aye, another Race thread, i know.

But here goes how i could imagine the race mode to be implemented into soldat.

* Separate spawnpoints in the game and mapmaker

* some kind of "Goal" to reach, e.g. 1 flag or a "goal poly" (cause that 2flag-system now tends to be buggy sometimes)

* "Checkpoints" to be inserted into the map, as polys, for example something similar. Either just to make it more thrilling (with messages like "Player X has reached checkpoint 3" and/or to prevent shortening the track by taking other ways (since this is not possible on most of the maps, variant 1 would fulfill its sense, imho).

* Probably some special "speed" polys (that could be used in other maps too), like some that make u slower/faster as long as u move on them (to simulate a swamp for example)

I think those are technically and logically realizable.

Any more ideas?

Vigilante
June 26, 2004, 3:08 am
Honestly, I like the homebrew custom user gametype better. I'm not sure why. But I do love it, either way. Guess it's just the user-made feel of it. I guess it just doesn't go with the overall theme of Soldat. Like there will be no official Soldat Volleyball (although I will admit that the racing gametype is a lot [A LOT] better than my crappy volleyball). But, come to think of it, all of those improvements would be pretty cool. especially the speed polys (even if not implemented specifiaclly for racing). I'm not quite sure what you mean by the "separate spawnpoints".

So, long story short, I enjoy it as a custom, unofficial gametype, but I wouldn't mind seeing some official support (even if not officially adopting the gametype, just things to help it along). That wasn't very short at all, now was it? I tend to ramble (in case you havent noticed), oh, and I love parentheses too for some reason.

kevith
June 26, 2004, 3:35 am
I enjoy racing and I think having a mode for it would be fun. I only worry that it will get boring and there is no killing (since that's what Soldat's for). The boring problem doesn't really bother me since I rarely play a few modes that are already included. The other item is a little more problematic for me in that Soldat wasn't really made to be a "racing" game and so part of me doesn't want Michal spending his time on it. (((mmm parentheses)))

Niff
June 26, 2004, 6:02 am
I like going prone on the ice ledges and zooming forwards.. very fun.

DeMonIc
June 26, 2004, 10:48 am
I am a fan of G_D's race mode, so I support these ideas.

grand_diablo
June 26, 2004, 12:18 pm
quote:Originally posted by kevith
I enjoy racing and I think having a mode for it would be fun. I only worry that it will get boring and there is no killing (since that's what Soldat's for). The boring problem doesn't really bother me since I rarely play a few modes that are already included. The other item is a little more problematic for me in that Soldat wasn't really made to be a "racing" game and so part of me doesn't want Michal spending his time on it. (((mmm parentheses)))

Hehe, except the experienced players having fun with it, there is another thought behind the race mode. Many noobs start playing online instantyl, which results in them being fragged all the time, so they just wont get to the fun we have. So they either start camping or quit again (although its their fault if they train with bots before).

Npw i think, that the Race mode would be a great possibility for them, to practice their moving skills & having fun with real players, because the goal of the race mode is, to be the fastest, the best in movement. Being behind on a race track is definitely not as annoying, as being fragged all 30 seconds.

But noobs normally dont know bout custom game modes, so they probably wont even find it. Another chance is, that the Race mode will probably attract players that are a bit scared of the other modes before, and just want to do some racing without being killed (they probably go playing ctf and so on later too).

DeMonIc
June 26, 2004, 12:25 pm
Hmm...
Connected to racing, maybe a training map should be made?Where u can practice against camping, practice advanced and fast movement, and quick manouvering, tricks, and stuff like that.Like bots would be placed in certain spawn points, and u have 2 go threw the map by eliminating every one..trap bots?

Se7enWolf
June 26, 2004, 4:21 pm
Race mode is already wonderful, I would love if these were implemented (1 strange example of bugginess is in one map, if 2 people are tied, and they hit the flag at the same time, each 1 of them takes a flag, and one of them has to jump off the edge so the other can win...) and I'm in full support of the speed polys and checkpoints

June 26, 2004, 4:40 pm
This isn't much to do with the topic, but it's related:
Give us the option to change the timer to count in milliseconds, or at least 1/10 seconds...

Malevolent Matt
June 26, 2004, 4:57 pm
quote:Originally posted by Vigilante

So, long story short, I enjoy it as a custom, unofficial gametype, but I wouldn't mind seeing some official support (even if not officially adopting the gametype, just things to help it along). That wasn't very short at all, now was it? I tend to ramble (in case you havent noticed), oh, and I love parentheses too for some reason.

(((((((PARANTHASESE ARE FUN!!!))))))

DeepII
June 26, 2004, 5:45 pm
I don't like racing games, so I don't like the race mode. In my opinion it would waste michal's time. But I understand the other players who like the race-mode.

June 26, 2004, 6:10 pm
Some people don't like infiltration. What's your point?

kevith
June 26, 2004, 8:45 pm
Re: Grand Diablo's Post: Good point. I didn't think of that. On a related note, I like the "training ground" kind of idea along the lines of what Demonic said.

DeepII
June 27, 2004, 8:32 pm
quote:Originally posted by Sticky
Some people don't like infiltration. What's your point?

I said in my opinnion it would waste michal's time. That's my point.

grand_diablo
June 27, 2004, 10:11 pm
I actually tried to create a training map once, but it turned out as a hell of a lot of work, and in the end it was simply not good enough and looked ugly. Maybe ill try again some time ^^

SigHunter
June 27, 2004, 10:23 pm
if anyone of u knows the halflife(and other engines)
mapmaker quark or even "the hammer"
u know the plugins for each mod or game,
everything just loading and u will get the spawnpoints special weapons
special things for each mod like flags to capture and goals to reach.
this would be useful for the soldatmapmaker, related to modmaking etc.

and if u mean my map with the shortening of track, then i can tell
you i know this problem and im working to fix it (but with a big wall it looks ugly :P
everybody who knows what im talking about, knows what Im talking about 0_o
the others just forget it :P

enjoyincubus
June 27, 2004, 11:09 pm
Hmm, take out Pointmatch and put in Race Mode in 1.2.1, at least until 1.3...

This is not a new, brilliant idea like some of you may think...we've been racing on maps since 1.05b...just because we didn't make map packs for our race maps doesn't mean the premise hasn't been covered yet...

SigHunter
June 28, 2004, 12:45 pm
:D
but many people dont even play since 105b :P
eg me 0_o

juhdi91
July 1, 2004, 6:47 pm
go play mario cart....

Unlucky 13
July 3, 2004, 2:54 am
nice idea juhdi, thats what mario kart is 4, no killing in that

wormdundee
July 3, 2004, 6:56 am
haha yeh...race you across ctf_run!
the good ol' times

The Geologist
July 3, 2004, 9:01 am
After DLing the map packet for race maps, I'd have to say I like the idea. Could be useful/fun for maps, but as mentioned it could have its own disadvantages. Regardless...I like!

SigHunter
July 3, 2004, 9:20 am
which disadvantages do u mean?

------------------------------

juhdi, if u dont like it, then
dont play it, its not our prob
if U dont like the racemode...
We like it.

palloco
July 3, 2004, 9:44 am
It would be a waste of Michal's time. Racings become boring after some time.

KnOt
July 3, 2004, 10:05 am
Yes, racing is becoming popular, and it's so fun.. Soldat needs some 'fun modes'.. I dont see why it shouldn't be added in the game in the future.

KiddOws
July 4, 2004, 6:42 pm
next version...i like it... i played a long while q2 jump.. no weapons boring you shoudl say but you get addicted to it :p

and waht grand diablo ssaid make special polys or something .. should be more cool than just taking flags