( search forums )
Setups & Game Modes
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
lieroguy
June 26, 2004, 6:48 pm
I like to change things up in Soldat, but my current obsession is Teammatch with Realistic and Survival Mode on, in larger, less hectic maps. My personal favorite to play it in is Cambodia, or perhaps Lagrange.

I particularly like the combination because it places you with a more realistic combat perspective. I.E., "I'll crawl through this brush to avoid being seen. I'll camp an opening with my Sniper Rifle while my teammember spots for me." Also, the manual recoil compensation makes you want to fire shorter bursts with automatic weapons, which is a LOT more realistic. The fact that bullets damage more than in regular modemakes quickdraw, recoil, aim, and stealh a much bigger factor, and survival mode combines this witha value for your own life, giving you a much stronger desire to not die.

Alamo
June 26, 2004, 9:08 pm
sounds funny but you are a camper and i don't know what this is about. :)
But i really like to play like that. My obsession is DM plain and simple without bonuses. You have no recoil and can own everyone with some skill (and i own nearly every server).

BTW: Your avy is too big (20k allowed)

lieroguy
June 26, 2004, 11:43 pm
Fine, I took off my avatar.

Points to be made:
(You said: "i don't know what this is about. :)")
The subject title says it all. I'm in a general discussion board and I'm generally discussing game modes. Trying to trike up conversation, here.

(You said: "but you are a camper"}
Whether that is a good or bad thing is rather ambiguious. :D
On a Gore-fest deathmatch with low spawn times, yeah, camping is retarded because you don't get enough kills. In CTF it's absolutely nessescary. I've had people complain to me thatMy team is full of campers. We also happen to be winning because they'd rather throw their entire team in front of our bullets than protect their own flag ("How To Catch a Bullet", p.204). But I suppose, to appease the loud-mouthed-13-year-olds-and-under on the servers, I could just leave a "please don't take thing flag" note and run through the "/piss" animation 300 or so times. And we'll see if they can play a game off the honor system. :D

But seriously. I'll win any way I can and if camping works, then I'll use it. If players would rather cry about it than do the same, they'll die. And in situaitons where camping is a tactical disadvantage, I won't.

Spawn Camping, however, is a different story. In CTF, I always vote to kick those who chainsaw camp the other team's spawn points.

I work part-time for a self-defense and security company (firearms, martial arts, compiter integrity systems), and have had some ballistics combat training before. That whole anti-camp thing will go away very quickly when you combine the realization of the tremendous tactical advantage of camping/ambushing incoming enemies, and the realization that you life actually means something.

It's actuall that combination that I love about that particular Teammatch game setup. It's more like airsoft rifle combat and less like Unreal Tournament.

Though, under the "Game Modes" topic, I am also a BIg fan of infiltration. Probelm is that there are rarely more than five infiltration servers running at a time, and they're either loaded with bots, or have no one playing on them.

BlackSpear
June 27, 2004, 1:24 pm
our point is, everyone hates a camper, if everyone would be like you hiding behind a butsh, who would you have to kill?? just doesn't work... and how can you kill a good camper that already has killed you while you are out of the screen?? especialy in survival it REALY sucks to get killed by a camper becouse you had no chance to even hurt them and you can't go back to kill them. camping 1 or 2 people is ok i guess (though I NEVER camp becouse i don't have to patience to w8 untill someone comes by) but more then that just sucks as other player!!

but to get on subject, i love DM and DM realistic and hate the flame god powerup, others are most of the time cool to have in...

Deleted User
June 27, 2004, 2:18 pm
Not everyone hates campers. I used to, but now I love them. It encourages tactical play.

Deleted User
June 27, 2004, 2:21 pm
Stalky why? Now i have to love them too because i want to be just like you. :D

lieroguy
June 27, 2004, 6:13 pm
Exactly.

BlackSpear
June 27, 2004, 7:55 pm
quote:Originally posted by Stalky
It encourages tactical play.

what is tactical about it?
you sit behind a bush and wait for on other player to come in your range and take him out with just 1 shot from the easyest weapon to kill with in the complete game. if you camp for a little while to cover someone it's tactical but just camping behind a bush is lame and for noobs imho...

BManx2000
June 27, 2004, 8:41 pm
And I suppose rushing in guns blazing is more tactical :P

Se7enWolf
June 27, 2004, 8:44 pm
more tactical is arming everyone with deagles, send 3 below, 3 above, and have them strike at the same time, it often works, too...

lieroguy
June 28, 2004, 5:01 am
To sucsessfuly camp, and win, takes talent, but certainly is doable > IMO, it's matter of personal taste and battlefield conditions. but know this, if he;s camping in the brush, that means YOU can camp in the brush, and you'd be retarded not to take any advantages you can get. I'm sure I'm going to make a whole bunch of pathetic teenagers players go crying home to mommy because they're too stupid to actually look around before the walk through the bushes.

It's happened dozens of times. I've camped my flag with an M79. instead of lobbing a grenade at the sandbags I was hiding in, he met explosive death.

Effective?: Often.
Cheap?: Maybe.
Unpopular?: Of course. I just shot the guy's kneecaps out.

People hate campers because campers kill. And in soldat, killing is scoring, and scoring is winning. Sure, camping can waste my time in a deathmatch game, but then why does anyone else care if I'm losing?

n00bface
June 28, 2004, 6:20 am
the point of the game is to have fun, i don't see how that can be accomplished by camping..

unless you're one of those fools that reads stupid tom clancy books and gets a kick out of tactical battle..whatever..

BlackSpear
June 28, 2004, 5:51 pm
quote:Originally posted by lieroguy
People hate campers because campers kill. And in soldat, killing is scoring, and scoring is winning. Sure, camping can waste my time in a deathmatch game, but then why does anyone else care if I'm losing?

that is SO not true, I think you are talking about DM now, and in DM I NEVER lose from a camper (if there are more then 3 players in the game) and i never have to worry about losing from them, still.... I hate them more then hard core spawn killers, eventhough they get WAY more kills then a camper... why is that? becouse i peronaly find camping weak, not becouse it gets kills, but becouse the odds are just TOO unfair and requires the lowest skill of ANY tactic in the game... every noobish newbie can camp and ofthen does it succesfully. heck, even chainsawing costs more skill...
and about the part "why don't you do it yourself then?" what almost every camper says, if everyone is camping, who do you have to shoot then???
there HAVE to be people who don't camp, else the game just wouldn't work and it would suck VERRY mutch. but there don't have to be campers, they aren't neccecery at all and spoiling some fun for other people.
I don't have a that big problem with the campers by themselfs, but want to make clear that they are using a skill-less tactic and are playing by the lamest way in the book and do think soldat would be better off without them...

btw love liero!!!

Joost
June 28, 2004, 10:34 pm
On topic: I do love playing in them two modes ;)

about the camping thing ... I dont exactly like it if someone camps and kills me, though I don't like to be killed anyhow :P But what matters most is why and how you camp .. if you camp just becuase you want to have a good looking score, you are gay.

If you camp because you defend the flag (and thus if your flag is stolen you kill yourself, grab an AK or so and go try to get the flag back.) you rox.

simple ;)

Se7enWolf
June 28, 2004, 10:48 pm
one way to play "tactically" while camping is to prone behind a bush (so the enemy doesn't see your colors) and point your gun at your own base, when a blue passes you, BLAM, blow some kneecaps out and make some heads explode!

peemonkey
June 28, 2004, 10:52 pm
to campers: good tactic against over 1/2 the population
to those who bitch about campers: if you get killed, deal with it. you respawn, go a DIFFERENT route, cut behind them, and kill them in a second. they camping, then they should be proned, and cant trun around fast.
if you cant kill them, then you suck at soldat, not them. they're the ones killing you.
NOW SHUT UP AND STOP BITCHING

lieroguy
June 29, 2004, 12:45 am
? ?è?ª?Æ?¤A peemonkey?³?ñB
(Thanks, peemonkey)

I've never tried playing CTF or Infiltration on Survival mode. It seems kinda retarded. Have any of you played them before?

Se7enWolf
June 29, 2004, 12:57 am
survival INF is awesome, especially Counter-Soldat, the best part is playing the counter-soldat server while using Peemonkey's mod... (not the goldeneye one, the other one, with the .80 magnum and lightsaber...)