( search forums )
Path Oriented Polygons?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Noobile
June 30, 2004, 5:37 pm
I'm not sure that this has been suggested yet, as the "search" function keeps giving me a timeout...so...On to my proposal..

Path oriented Poly's. In lamans terms, a poly that moves, on a set path. I.E. Elevators, Other movins, "terrain" esq. stuff... Think 8 bit nintendo, the original Mario Brothers, level 4-8, the little orange moving platforms, that went back and fourth. Not that I'm trying to rip the Mario brothers off, but it would add depth to gameplay.... your thoughts?

June 30, 2004, 6:03 pm
We have jetpacks for a reason...

Noobile
June 30, 2004, 6:24 pm
Ok... mabye I should have been a bit more specific. I understand that we have jetpacks, I use them often myself. But, in my opinion it would add, like I said, a depth, to gameplay. Example: Imagine an INF map that is nothing more than a veeery tall building, getting from floor to floor, in some areas, using an elevator, instead of stairs..[OT] I was working on somthing like this, minus the elevator, before my mapmaker quit on me, I dont know why it did, but it did. [/OT] It would add stragetic locations to defend/attack much like a bottlekneck ( think ctf_death, if you hold that middle platform, you basically control the entrance/egress of the opposite team ) It would also be difficult to attack/defend, if you've ever tried firing from a moving object, at a stationary object, you know what I'm talking about, and vice-versa. OR in a CTF map, the only way into the opposing team's flag, is via an elevator, thus adding a stragetic defensive initiative ( not that alot of people think about defence, so I've noticed ). Does this make more sense now??

peemonkey
June 30, 2004, 6:56 pm
yea, and people'd make vehicles. been suggested couple times, always on a no.

Noobile
June 30, 2004, 7:07 pm
well, I guess you could make a vehicle out of it, but in my head, it works out to be somthing like the waypointing in the map maker, so having a "vehicle" that could go back and fourth, nothing controllable, would be kinda pointless, nonetheless, I see your point peemonkey. nevermind then...

Aquarius
June 30, 2004, 7:53 pm
I want polys which can move or rotate. I want to make more interesting maps. I want windmills, elevators, traps, etc... I will ALWAYS support this idea, no matter how many times it will return.

The Geologist
June 30, 2004, 8:05 pm
I agree here...the moving polys could be a good idea, especially on tall levels. Jet packs are very good, no doubt..but a little challenge in the level would also be enjoyable. Already gives me an idea for a good INF map, but I'm sure that's already crossed your mind (as previous posts would indicate). [:D] It'd be bad to see a stat gun aimed at these little platforms if they were so necessary, though..

grand_diablo
June 30, 2004, 10:23 pm
I would like this, could be useful for any gamemode, even race :)

peemonkey
June 30, 2004, 11:17 pm
i know, but for some reason everyone takes the hate it side. i think i even suggested it, but it's not all too soldat, and prolly hard ta implement.

Aquarius
June 30, 2004, 11:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by peemonkey
for some reason everyone takes the hate it side.
False statement.

And I don't care how many people hate it. I like it.

Leo Da Lunerfox
July 1, 2004, 12:21 am
you know, once this is implanmented, pretty much EVERYTHING that has been suggested around here is going to be answered, doors, gates, vehicles, elevators, can all be done if this is used. So I pretty much 1000% support this, since i like to make maps with no jet packs.

BManx2000
July 1, 2004, 1:44 am
I would be cool if you could make a working escalator :D

sanity
July 1, 2004, 3:30 am
i agree there needs to be some animated/moving textures, would make maps much more interesting.