( search forums )
water polys / interactive scenery (trees)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
sanity
July 6, 2004, 5:45 am
its been suggested but not for a while. water polys that slow you down and make water splash up as you run through. u could prone in it (or stand if its deep) and noone would see you (except for bubbles on top the water or maybe a shadow in the water).

also it would be cool if trees move when you run by them (or shoot past them?) and flamegod set them on fire.

Milkman Dan
July 6, 2004, 7:55 am
i dont think that would work with the game would it?

sanity
July 6, 2004, 10:46 am
quote:Originally posted by Milkman Dan
i dont think that would work with the game would it?

how so?

Tahnok
July 6, 2004, 11:50 am
That's a good idea, but that water idea would make barretards even stronger. WHY MICHAEL WHY!?!?!+1!?!?!

Alamo
July 6, 2004, 12:14 pm
I think in deeper water you should be able to swimm and dive but not be able to shoot because guns don't like water in the muzzle. :)
you didn't say anything about the 'interactive' trees.

IDF-rambo
July 6, 2004, 12:34 pm
sorry to ask but i dont really know...is a new version of soldat being made?

sanity
July 6, 2004, 2:11 pm
Alamo: not being able to shoot is an interesting idea... but wouldnt that leave players vulnerable?

by the way:
quote:Originally posted by Alamo
you didn't say anything about the 'interactive' trees.quote:
also it would be cool if trees move when you run by them (or shoot past them?) and flamegod set them on fire.

Malevolent Matt
July 6, 2004, 3:12 pm
water could stop bullets and would waste genades

sanity
July 6, 2004, 3:18 pm
Malevolent Matt: good idea, it could be the only safe place in soldat. but then what if a flag carrier hides in it? [:P]

Malevolent Matt
July 6, 2004, 3:58 pm
true... knifes and saws

Malevolent Matt
July 6, 2004, 4:01 pm
yah wat iff there were such things as hot water guisers, piranhae, player created avalanches.... heavy rocks.......... tidal waves... phish

Noobile
July 6, 2004, 4:14 pm
I can see both advantages, and disadvantages to this. Obvious advantages would be safety, guns,chainsaws, grenades, and bullets already traveling, dont work too well in water, knives do, but obviously not thrown..Disadvatages would be more places for people to camp, you know how sometimes you can get the muzzle of a gun to stick through a poly, imagine the hellstorm this could create *the gun that shall not be mentioned*tards would have whole new places to hide, nearly invunerable. I like the idea all in all, especially if it killed you if in it too long ( who can hold their breath for longer than three minutes? granted, the little solders carry infinite ammo, and sometimes 800lb guns ) on that thought... I guess it would be possible ( partially, anyway ) to do, make a semi transparent scenery file, and put a "hurts" poly under it, and an " only bullets collide" poly above, and viola, ghetto water....

Malevolent Matt
July 6, 2004, 4:20 pm
[IMAGE] my idea... or a rough summary of it

Noobile
July 6, 2004, 4:23 pm
um...images arent working

N1nj@
July 6, 2004, 4:26 pm
lol, he linked everything to his hard drive...

this is what I call...stupid...lol, sorry

n00bface
July 6, 2004, 4:52 pm
just make ice polly's with water scenery on top....:/

sanity
July 6, 2004, 5:04 pm
n00bface: problem with the normal polys is that none actually influence/interact-with the soldat in any way apart from the way they are sloped. same goes with scenery except for the thingos that you can shoot from but people cant shoot you and the spikes that kill you.

b00stA
July 6, 2004, 5:41 pm
http://soldatforum.dnagames.net/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=7219 ("Water")
quote:posted by me
Water splashing, waves etc. are VERY hard to realize.. it really sounds sweet but it's a lot of work.
But polygons that are transparent and as soon as your feet are "touching" it you move slowly and if your whole body is behind it you start to swim.
Of course the bullets slow down if they're going through water polygons.
but dynamically moving water is impossible if you think about it.. polygons and water particles.. o_O
Don't expect any fancy waves. Splashing is possible. Swimming animations are possible (.poa files). Killing underwater is possible (shooting from outside, knifing, boxing, BREATHING).
Imagine the water polygons just like normal polygons, except they're transparent. You could even make waterfalls because.. you're using polygons afterall (e.g. the upper surface of the polygon doesn't have to be a flat ground.. you could make it going upwards (a river flowing down a mountain))

The trees however are something completely different. You're talking about adding certain attributes to scenery files like flammable or explosive.