( search forums )
Massive Game
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - General Discussions
b0b3tt3
July 6, 2004, 4:54 pm
Is there any way to increase the max player in Soldat?
This is because I will be attending a lan soon, and we would like to have a 100 person server. Is this possible?

Toumaz
July 6, 2004, 4:59 pm
NO, 32 is the max limit.

Drama
July 6, 2004, 5:00 pm
game with over 10 ppl is non-skilled+lame

Tha Doggfather
July 6, 2004, 6:02 pm
i once played on a 64 people server (at least it said so in the lobby), was back in the 1.1.4 days

dont know how to do that though.

b00stA
July 6, 2004, 6:03 pm
Drama, it's a damn LAN game. I'd prefer a 100 man LAN game of Soldat on a HUGE map right now.
b0b3tt3, try the dedicated CONSOLE server. Maybe you can edit the config file (soldat.ini) before opening the console and then just hope that Soldat doesn't check the value for "Max_Players".

n00bface
July 6, 2004, 6:05 pm
it would lag like hell with all those bullets flying around..it will work though, i've set a player limit to 100 in soldat.ini (in 1.1.5)

lieroguy
July 6, 2004, 6:28 pm
I get really pissed though when people cry about using a minigun. I, persoanally, have not seen the negative affects of lots of bullets. Usually, the server is either laggy or not and bullets do little to change it.

True, 100 man game would be awesome. I have a hard enough time fiding a game with five decent players on it.

n00bface
July 6, 2004, 6:45 pm
lieroguy, take a minigun and fire it up in a map with no roof, and you'll get an fps of below 1 :|

SuperKill
July 6, 2004, 7:06 pm
quote:Originally posted by Drama
game with over 10 ppl is non-skilled+lame

so what ? its hella fun xD

sativa
July 6, 2004, 9:50 pm
superkill is right it's freakin fun;) but when everybody starts to minigun i have to leave cause my pc cant hold that:( darn crappy pc

Element_101
July 7, 2004, 8:59 am
quote:Originally posted by n00bface
it would lag like hell with all those bullets flying around..it will work though, i've set a player limit to 100 in soldat.ini (in 1.1.5)

If its LAN and all the computers are reasonable especially the Server then I think the game would be playable.

Snipedmyself
July 7, 2004, 9:12 am
£guy, yeah....yeah....mm

ok, i don't think there is really ne thing 2 say...i hoope u was being sarcasamistic

and cool, but yeah, it wuld be ghey unless it was ona LAN cos "spray!" "booooooom!" "BARRET ROUND!" "spiii-ii-iiikuh!"

Michal Marcinkowski
July 7, 2004, 1:27 pm
32 players is hard-coded. I could change it but I don't now it could work. Maybe I'll do it in the next version.

grand_diablo
July 7, 2004, 1:31 pm
w00t, the lord has spoken [:D]

AerialAssault
July 7, 2004, 1:46 pm
michal, nerf the max players limit (and nerf teh barrett! :D)

Element_101
July 7, 2004, 2:03 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal Marcinkowski
32 players is hard-coded. I could change it but I don't now it could work. Maybe I'll do it in the next version.

Ive never actually scene a computer run 32 soliders But its possible right?

sativa
July 7, 2004, 2:26 pm
yes don't you know the server 32 chillzone or something it has 2 servers both are been played on and both have 32 players but the only thing i cant join the teammatch server only the ctf

Deleted User
July 8, 2004, 8:24 am
100 ppl game...
that would be annoying as half the ppl would use barrets shoot, miss and ur head goes flying

Element_101
July 8, 2004, 9:05 am
quote:Originally posted by azn_sniper
100 ppl game...
that would be annoying as half the ppl would use barrets shoot, miss and ur head goes flying

Yeah wouldn't be great!

sativa
July 8, 2004, 11:08 am
it could be funny to, like he says he missen on the one he aimes, but still kills aother person, to avoid this you should have huge maps but really really huge maps

Denacke
July 9, 2004, 12:28 pm
One big hole, only chainsaw available, run and keep holding that mousebutton! :D

sanity
July 9, 2004, 2:50 pm
youd need bigger maps then default for those amount of players...

n00bface
July 9, 2004, 2:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by Element_101
quote:Originally posted by n00bface

If its LAN and all the computers are reasonable especially the Server then I think the game would be playable.

im talking about computer lag, not connection lag.

Keinonen
July 9, 2004, 4:54 pm
100 players lan game = sweeeeet [:D]
It would need a map as big as Russia...(gotta make a map about that) Anyhow it will be a DM even if it is CTF 'cause no one is going to cap. I had a 7 vs 7 "fcw"(MN vs. some other team with good players) yesterday and when I left it after 2 rounds it was still a tie, no caps, nothing...

About minigunning in 100 person CTF map... all of them take minigun = fun, odd and epic [:D]. It would be a hell out of a mess...

Element_101
July 10, 2004, 9:36 am

Element_101: If its LAN and >all the computers are reasonable <especially the Server then I think the game would be playable.

n00b face: im talking about computer lag, not connection lag.

Jayke
July 11, 2004, 2:25 pm
Think of it logically and a 100 player server is pointless as all the startup points would be full, you wouldnt be able to move at all for the flying bullets and no "reasonable" computer is that powerful.
However im a n00b so i prolly dont have the foggiest about servers an so on.
I prefer a 1 on 1 on 1 on 1 or summat on a huge map, so you have to work for the kills an hunt your opponents

Ahh, ignore me

Hiei
July 11, 2004, 2:47 pm
DUDE 100 ppl you'd lag like hell! specialy since in that hundred ppl whould be some minis which really lag! this is how it goes...

100 ppl (You'd have to be an idiot)
32 ppl (WHats the fun of that?)
22 ppl (Take out the minis)
10-12 ppl (Kick ass time)
5-9 ppl (still fun but very easy to get the flag)
2-4 ppl (basically you get the flag or in a dm its gonna take a lil longer time to win
1 person (playing with yourself...isn't that a term for jacking off?)

Alamo
July 11, 2004, 2:57 pm
Well I think if you had a D-Day Map or something and you'd play Teammatch the full spawns wouldn't matter and you'd have a real hard fight... Would own wouldn't it? :) (computer lag is another story :)

BlackSpear
July 11, 2004, 2:58 pm
you would have to create a special map for a 100 people game....

Marine
July 13, 2004, 8:32 pm
Heh, a very big map with all automatics disabled, leaving only DEagles, SPAS, Ruger, Barret, M79, and secondaries. Still fun.

Deleted User
July 14, 2004, 6:23 am
quote:Originally posted by Hiei

1 person (playing with yourself...isn't that a term for jacking off?)

LOL

uhh yah the 32 server i go into rarely sucks SO BAD! cuz like its a spawn camp fest lol try playin in that server on voland or kampf 2 second death rule lol?

Niff
July 14, 2004, 6:29 am
3.6GHZ-4.0GHZ processor and a gig of RAM for each computer would run 100 player games easily.

-Claw-
July 18, 2004, 6:02 pm
quote:Originally posted by sanity
youd need bigger maps then default for those amount of players...
But playing with custom maps? someone make BIG ma for BIG amounts of players :D

Liber_Lupus
July 18, 2004, 7:09 pm
Would be nice to imagine 100 players playing ctf_death, after 1 hour of playing, score is 0:0, TIE!
Ctf_b5b is the biggest soldat map? or am i wrong. Yea someone should make a HUGE map for ALOT of players.

KnOt
July 18, 2004, 8:05 pm
Omena made a HUGE map.. it took me about 20 minutes to find the enemy flag.. and then there's bringing it back .. heh

Oh and as cool as it would be, I dont think it would be playable at all. I have a pretty mighty computer, and it lags when i play 16 v 16 with bots.. you would need about 6000 ram on each computer.

brickman
July 18, 2004, 11:10 pm
Have you noticed how most of soldats guns are rapidfire? Half of the default guns go full auto, the shotgun fires several times a second, and a gun that takes 2 seconds between shots is considered "Hit or die."
Know why? Because THIS ENGINE WAS MADE FOR A LOT OF BULLETS FLYING AROUND! Thus, any limit can be pushed a little more without breaking it.

100 people=insane. 50 people is a more realistic number, in fact probably enough to tax all but the best comps. Better yet, scrap the limit so people can set it higher as computers become faster without crying to you every time.

BManx2000
July 18, 2004, 11:39 pm
I have actually tried firing a minigun into the air on an online game with a roofless map (it was a map in the dnagames server, actually. Heh.) Me and one other guy tried firing miniguns up into the air. It lagged the computer like hell. The frame rate fell. A lot. As in like 2-3 spf. That's seconds-per-frame :P This computer isn't great, but imagine what would happen on a server with 50+ people firing autos at once. Not funny. 32 is quite enough, thank you very much.

palloco
July 19, 2004, 9:24 am
quote:Originally posted by Niff
3.6GHZ-4.0GHZ processor and a gig of RAM for each computer would run 100 player games easily.

and a x800 graphic card, but still I would be doubting about the playability

ometeotl
July 19, 2004, 10:20 pm
Battlefield 2 is geared towards 100 players. I think, but correct me if I'm wrong, but BF2 will probably have a slightly higher system specs. So if they can do it with a much more complex engine and much more money, I?m sure Michal can do it with a much simpler engine. So I guess 100 players on a soldat game is doable, it?s just a matter of having good enough maps to accommodate 100 players

Droopy
July 21, 2004, 7:27 pm
I could make a nice big bigy big hige map, if u guys want...

But the servers your problem...

dude
July 6, 2005, 3:08 pm
today is exactly one year from when this one waz made.. ha

karmazon
July 6, 2005, 3:24 pm
what the (Please refrain from swearing)
mukerji ?

Deleted User
July 6, 2005, 4:18 pm
wtf........i think big world is the biggest map, its like a big circle.......i've seen a 64 player server for ctf, but it was full.

b00stA
July 6, 2005, 4:24 pm
No thread necrophilia.