( search forums )
Computers
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
?
July 12, 2004, 11:01 pm
Ok so I was at work and as I was getting some guys drink he asked me if I was into computers ( more like implied that I was, guess the fatness and glasses give it away...)

He had an add for a Dell computer for $459 and he asked me if that was a good deal, I told him that I heard from a friend that they suck(besidse that much money isn't gonna get you that great of a computer) and I told him that I have a Compaq at home and I love it, he asked if it have pleenty of space for games, I said yes, he said something about Dells have more ram card spaces than any other company, I just told him I have plenty of room....

Tell me what company you think makes the best computers.

Hitman
July 12, 2004, 11:27 pm
Apple.

Kazuki
July 12, 2004, 11:28 pm
lol, Macs suck, man. I hate them. The best computers are ones you put together. Overall, the parts for a computer should add up to about 750 bucks. That's not bad at all, and you can get plenty of RAM, a fast processor, etc.

Hitman
July 12, 2004, 11:31 pm
You suck, bitch.

b00stA
July 12, 2004, 11:47 pm
quote:Originally posted by Kazuki
The best computers are ones you put together.

Today, yes.
A few years ago the components were equally good, but today they just put a big fat "OMG 2800 MEGAHURTZ++ VALUEUE" on it, but shove a crappy graphic card in it.

..mmm..must..upgrade..

peemonkey
July 13, 2004, 12:41 am
McDonald's makes the best computers...

Captain RibMan
July 13, 2004, 12:43 am
my brother built this computer and it means you can get the best bits cheaper and choose which parts you want, dell tends to put in [:-censored] gfx cards and other stuff but add printers and lcd screens

apple = teh ghey

Alamo
July 13, 2004, 1:19 am
My Dell Dimension 4550 is the greatest machine I ever owned.

Captain RibMan
July 13, 2004, 2:25 am
yeah but how many have you owned...

gi.joe
July 13, 2004, 2:39 am
i reckon

IBM do a fair job

*laughs*

Kazuki
July 13, 2004, 2:51 am
quote:Originally posted by Hitman
You suck, bitch.

Believe it all you want, but Macs are about as good as your laptop. The only difference is that they run. ;)

quote:Originally posted by Alamo
My Dell Dimension 4550 is the greatest machine I ever owned.

This is when I must ask if the computer you owned before your current one was a calculator. :) Seriously, though? Does it really run all that well? My HP Pavilion runs well, and I'm content with it, but it's only 3 years old, and already dying down.

Deleted User
July 13, 2004, 5:44 am
my compaq presario with Windows ME is a hell hole lol woo random crashes with the always popular Blue screen lol and oo [:-censored] ur graphics go out every once in a while and u gotta download new drivers oo ouch OMG SYSTEM RESOURCES DIE SO FAST TO THATS EVEN BETTER lol Compaq+Windows ME=DEATH

that fuking sniper
July 13, 2004, 6:31 am
If Soldat ran on Macs I'd be sitting on a G5 right now. No kidding. Macs make PC's look clearly like the jokes they are. All the other games I play are playable on Macs, but my favourite remains Soldat, and its the reason my new computer is a PC and not a Mac.

sanity
July 13, 2004, 6:40 am
If Macs were cheaper and emulated windows+directx... id buy one [:)].

Niff
July 13, 2004, 1:19 pm
ALIENWARE!
Meh, they make the best computes in existence, but they are [:-censored]ing huge and expensive. 4gb RAM, 4.2ghz processor, 2000GB storage (yes 2000GB), 256MB graphics card and awesome extras like biometrics and liquid coolant systems etc for $18,000. Their best laptops (2gb of RAM etc) go for $6,000.

Hitman
July 13, 2004, 1:24 pm
quote:If Soldat ran on Macs I'd be sitting on a G5 right now. No kidding. Macs make PC's look clearly like the jokes they are. All the other games I play are playable on Macs, but my favourite remains Soldat, and its the reason my new computer is a PC and not a Mac.That's what virtual PC is for :)

Alamo
July 13, 2004, 2:38 pm
I actually owned quite a lot of computers. There's this old 133 Mhz thing, my first comp that my father gave to me (It still ok and very cool for those old DOS games). After that I got another comp from my father. It was a 350 Mhz. Was OK, nothing special. After some time I got a 800 Mhz computer with a really sucky gfx card. I bought a Radeon 7500 for it and it really kicked ass. Now, I own my 2,53 Ghz Dell machine and it really is the (for it's time) fastest and moste stable computer I ever owned. Hum... I should make a new install of Windows though.

Deleted User
July 13, 2004, 2:56 pm
I have 2,8 ghz but i have a sucky graphics card so it doesn't really help. :P

Keinonen
July 13, 2004, 4:42 pm
Our old black 'n' white TV got f*cked up so my brother fixed it a bit and turned it into a computer. He is a geek

Toumaz
July 13, 2004, 5:05 pm
Dell - great computers, but no FLOPPYS!! DAMN!
Fujitsu-Siemens - great overall capacity.
HP - damn good.

palloco
July 13, 2004, 5:44 pm
As people said, a computer made by a non famous company or with components boght separately.
In the case of laptops HP-compaq with radeon chipsets are the best excepting ferrari.

Kazuki
July 13, 2004, 6:02 pm
I just don;t like Macs. I don't know why, I just don't. First time I worked with one, I hated it. That's why school computers suck, although I'm on one right now. This one is Windows though. I finished all work so I have 15 minutes online and then I get to go home... and get online some more.

Wow, Ville, 2.8 GHz? Wow. Mine is only 1.8 =\ It's a Celeron processor, I think. Very bad processor. =|

N1nj@
July 13, 2004, 6:13 pm
the new Macs look really cool!!

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

BManx2000
July 13, 2004, 6:31 pm
I don't quite care what my computer looks like...

palloco
July 13, 2004, 7:44 pm
I said it before and i say it again, G5 is like a Sandwich.

Yes Kazuki, celeron sux. I would not change my 400 mhz amd for a celeron becuz they usually come in an unstable configuration.

Subslider
July 13, 2004, 7:51 pm
all standard computers suck.. i put put my own computer together and it rox..

AMD 3000+ processor
180 GB space
Radeon 9600 video cart
512 Ram

with only running soldat i get bout 500-700 FPS..[:D]

which i think is quite great.. what ya think bout it is it ok? >.<

palloco
July 13, 2004, 8:04 pm
Taking into account that an Athlon 2800 XP can reach 1800 fps in soldat is not that great

Kazuki
July 13, 2004, 8:20 pm
His computer kicks ass, especially because he cutom-built it. I told you, those computers turn out the best, unless you're comparing them to AlienWare. :P

palloco
July 13, 2004, 8:53 pm
Just comparing with the one that used NC one year ago.

Captain RibMan
July 14, 2004, 12:22 am
mac only have one button on the mouse i think i would go crazy with one mouse button

im fairly safe with 5 and a scroll wheel on my mouse

July 14, 2004, 12:52 am
All computers become obsolete in a couple of weeks...

N1nj@
July 14, 2004, 1:43 am
OMG!!! everyone has a AMD nowadayz

anyone have Intel ? cause I do and I feel left out =(

Kazuki
July 14, 2004, 3:44 am
I have Intel, rofl. Whoo!

Cookie.
July 14, 2004, 4:41 am
O_O this week or next i got some cash saved from my job i think im going to upgrade my computer to intel p4 with hyperthreading 256 ddr ram case and motherboard and graphic card dont know which graphic card to choose im kinda interested in nvidia geforce fx tho

Unlucky 13
July 14, 2004, 6:50 am
quote:Originally posted by Subslider
all standard computers suck.. i put put my own computer together and it rox..

AMD 3000+ processor
180 GB space
Radeon 9600 video cart
512 Ram

with only running soldat i get bout 500-700 FPS..[:D]

which i think is quite great.. what ya think bout it is it ok? >.<

My dad put my pc together a while ago (450Mhz K6-2[GO AMD!], NvidA TNT graphics etc...) and i get 30-60 FPS, and it looks fine (Many Players/Bots= 5-15 FpS[xx(], load of [:-censored]!)
PS: Why cant i upload???

EDIT: Dont answer that, uploads are down...

palloco
July 14, 2004, 11:19 am
Haha, I can play with 120 fps in my k6-III 400 mhz

Niff
July 14, 2004, 11:19 am
Once I get a job (a long way away, believe me) I'll be getting my ThinkGeek.com wishlist and custom make a computer.. just you wait..

around 8 years.

Alamo
July 14, 2004, 2:02 pm
<<< Intel(ligent)

Kazuki
July 14, 2004, 5:02 pm
quote:Originally posted by Niff
Once I get a job (a long way away, believe me) I'll be getting my ThinkGeek.com wishlist and custom make a computer.. just you wait..

around 8 years.

I'm 14, and I'm getting a job next year, when I'll be 15. :P I'll be cleaning out people's computers during the summer. You know... getting rid of the viruses that Norton pushes into your computer.

AerialAssault
July 15, 2004, 9:28 am
quote:Originally posted by Cookie.
O_O this week or next i got some cash saved from my job i think im going to upgrade my computer to intel p4 with hyperthreading 256 ddr ram case and motherboard and graphic card dont know which graphic card to choose im kinda interested in nvidia geforce fx tho

get an AMD athalon xp, and dont get nvidia, they suck, best card for the money right now is radeon 9600 pro or XT

wormdundee
July 15, 2004, 9:43 pm
yes, i have succeeded in having a really slow processor! hurrah

yeh AMD Duron 1.2 ghz, is that pwnage or what

and the gfx card kicks ass too, nVidia Riva TNT2
and i dont even know what kinda sound card i have

Deleted User
July 15, 2004, 10:21 pm
man i hate that u cant have like 1337 mb ram... id be so happy if i had it...

Hova
July 15, 2004, 11:41 pm
rofl.

Well, Apple is pretty good. They make really rock solid computers and Operating Systems. If you are staying with the PC line, Dell is the best bet. Compaq's tend to lag a bit behind Dell.

Captain RibMan
July 16, 2004, 12:39 am
poor crack cant get 1337 modems in afganistan

CardBoardWarrior
July 17, 2004, 12:43 am
TFS, I wholly concur with your first post...

Leo Da Lunerfox
July 18, 2004, 11:42 am
All your computers suck.

I have PII 400mhz random-old-ass-computer-from-some-random-company, and it seriously kicks all joo computers asszors.

I'm just trying to make myself feel better with the [:-censored]ty comp i have now......if you think your computer sucks, try to play on mine.

*It does have a Geforce 4 in it though :P

palloco
July 18, 2004, 12:40 pm
Sure ur computer sux, mine was bought at the same time, was less and is better. FEAR AMD

Unlucky 13
July 19, 2004, 8:32 am
operating system makes the difference, like ME has alot of bugs until u update it. 95 is hell. 98 is ok (prefferd) XP causes some hassle whit some games (not soldat regulary) Linux, that is a nice little free operating sys that i wish i could use somtimes