( search forums )
Rick O'Shea
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
peemonkey
July 14, 2004, 5:42 am
would it be possible to make it so some of the time bullets bounce back? i know it's not gonna effect gameplay too much, but do the sparks? it'd be cool to have a flagger in the tunnel of warehouse, then drop down with a minimi and have the bullets filling the tunnel killing you both! what a heroic way to die! it could also catch people off-guard, like an m79er's round hitting a collider and ricocheting back and kill him. i just like the idea, and think it's pretty soldat-ish[:-tophat]

Captain RibMan
July 14, 2004, 5:47 am
thats pretty cool but what about riccoshea spam with the minigun

peemonkey
July 14, 2004, 5:53 am
what about it? the minigun is hardly used nowadays, and this'd make it a bit more deadly/fun. all it's used for is a goddamn jet or spammaker by Soldiers.

Marine
July 14, 2004, 6:17 am
Heh, sounds cool, but not necessary.

Niff
July 14, 2004, 6:24 am
Marine, you just called the "throwing guns at people" idea good and should be added. What the hell are you?
Anyways, sounds good - but wouldn't that defeat the point of a LAW or M79?

The Geologist
July 14, 2004, 6:38 am
Heh, I agree, heh. Could add an entertaining element to the game. Heh. Maybe if it were a part of realistic mode?

Marine
July 14, 2004, 6:47 am
quote:Originally posted by Niff
Marine, you just called the "throwing guns at people" idea good and should be added. What the hell are you?
Anyways, sounds good - but wouldn't that defeat the point of a LAW or M79?

You silly boy, I never said it should be implemented.

Lets take a look at what I really said.

quote:Originally posted by Marine
Well this idea isn't necessary, but it'd be nice if it was added anyway.

I never demanded it should be added, I simply said it would be nice if it was added.

I also even said the idea wasn't necessary, just as I did here.

You know, you really should read my posts completely before coming up with idiotic reponses like that.

Thanks,

-Marine

By the way..I am an American.

peemonkey
July 14, 2004, 7:13 am
well i dont like it being added for law and m79...dunno why i said m79 :/ how would it defeat the purpose though? not all bullets would recochet, just some powerful and close-up bullets off polygons and colliders... i know it's not neccesary, but so is alot of stuff in the game XD

Alamo
July 14, 2004, 9:48 am
That would be cool. I would really love it being added. And not as an option or only in Realistic. Damn... All ideas that could change the gameplay only a little are asked to be an option or to realistic mode.
But only very fast bullets ricochet and lose a lot of their power :) And it should be a little random. Not every bullet ricochets but only 1/4 of them or something.

Svirin Kerath
July 14, 2004, 11:27 am
i agree with alamo. cool idea. love to see it implimented.

Subslider
July 14, 2004, 3:19 pm
i like but maybe then should there be an new poly type aswell: Iron?

papasurf31
July 14, 2004, 3:54 pm
Bullets in real life only rikoshay when they hit something at an angle perpendicular to the line between the center of gravity of the bullet an the point of impact. Generally, this is offset by rotation or else every single bullet shot would theoretically rikoshay.

So, soldat should have it so that bullets would only rikoshay when they hit obstacles at an angle almost parallel to the surface of the obstacle, an then only a small percent would actually do it. The shot would lose a portion of its power but could kill someone if they were low on health. Also, laws and nades should not rikoshay. nades could bounce but they aren't fired fast enough to really rikoshay. If they did, it would look weird.

BTW - disregard the first paragraph. I just made it up to get your attention.

Michal
July 14, 2004, 4:18 pm
I like this idea. Fragments from grenades should also ricochet, but then the nades would need to actually fragment instead of making a big fiery explosion...

peemonkey
July 14, 2004, 7:08 pm
i wonder why this wasnt implemented before...

Alamo
July 14, 2004, 7:13 pm
quote:Originally posted by papasurf31
Bullets in real life only rikoshay when they hit something at an angle perpendicular to the line between the center of gravity of the bullet an the point of impact. Generally, this is offset by rotation or else every single bullet shot would theoretically rikoshay.
[...]
BTW - disregard the first paragraph. I just made it up to get your attention.

Sure the bullets only ricochet at a special angle (under 10° or something). I thought that was clear :)

Deleted User
July 14, 2004, 7:21 pm
This is a cool idea, 'specially since it allows me a new way to accidentially kill my self. I was getting bored with the whole, throwing a grenade into the floor and having it bounce up into my face. Hilariously good idea.(not meant to sound sarcastic in any way)

BManx2000
July 14, 2004, 8:18 pm
Actually, I saw on a TV show that they did a test with firing a tommy gun at a brick wall, and the bullets still ricocheted a short distance, so maybe the angle would determine the speed of the bullet.

Alamo
July 14, 2004, 9:33 pm
Where the [:-censored] did they find an operatable Tommy Gun?

CardBoardWarrior
July 14, 2004, 10:43 pm
You know, Alamo, it really isnt hard to find them. My dad <collects guns> has shot one multiple times and I have seen and touched them too.

AerialAssault
July 14, 2004, 11:02 pm
a ThompsonA1? or a Tommy Gun

peemonkey
July 14, 2004, 11:15 pm
same thing :P just tommy got drum, right? wait, get back on topic of how smart i am ;)

Noobile
July 15, 2004, 2:05 am
I like the idea peemonkey, it'd add depth, and random occurences in a world that doesnt have very many random events as it is. Plus, adding new stragety, and even trickshots, like person runs up a wall,or corridor with flag, bullet ricochets them in the butt.. kinda like shooting a guy's ankle's out while hiding behind a car. if you angle it right, blammo! no walking for him...ever.

+1 vote

EDIT @swazo wah, bullets ricochet, you might get hit by one...be glad that you're allowed to respawn in the game...

n00bface
July 15, 2004, 3:42 am
if you add ricochet, then i want destructable terrain too!

BManx2000
July 15, 2004, 3:51 am
Mmmkay...

peemonkey
July 15, 2004, 4:25 am
too much coding for that, and it could get outta hand with some people. ricochets would be much much easier to code :D

frogboy
July 15, 2004, 4:36 am
What about ricochets on certain polygons... a bullet just wouldn't ricochet off some surfaces.

Kazuki
July 15, 2004, 4:37 am
Ricochets sound nice. However, I'd like it better if bullets could only ricochet off of special objects, like metal and similar things. Also, only certain bullets would ricochet. M79, LAW, Soccom, and and Desert Eagles wouldn't ricochet because the M79 and LAW are explosive weapons and the Soccom and Desert Eagles are a bit too weak.

Noobile
July 15, 2004, 5:27 am
nope, a 9mm ricochets with ease, and I'm sure, if done right, a .50 cal will do the same thing. but you're right about the law, and -79, they'd just blow up...
*odd thought* knife ricochet?? hmm....

Niff
July 15, 2004, 5:28 am
Err.. a SOCOM is .45, a nice calibre, and hits with more force than the Steyr. But yeah, ricochet without the explosives bouncing.. sounds teh good.

Destructable scenery would be good. But what if someone blows a hole in the bottom of an arena, so people continually fall through and die?

Noobile
July 15, 2004, 5:38 am
wheeee semantics... the soccom is a modified H&K USP Mk.23 wich comes in 9mm,.40s&w,.45auto and .357sig.

quote:Destructable scenery would be good. But what if someone blows a hole in the bottom of an arena, so people continually fall through and die?

where did anyone talk about destructable scenery? I thought this was a ricochet thread??

frogboy
July 15, 2004, 5:40 am
Selectable destructable scenery polygons?

Silent-Thunder
July 15, 2004, 6:00 am
you crazy [:-censored]s...

aww heck i like this idea too.

CbbLe
July 15, 2004, 7:00 am
Imgaine the cool shots u could do with ricochets...shoot a barret left up on the roof and have it bounced back in someone's head...I like it, would be nice cause then u can do trickshots.

sanity
July 15, 2004, 7:54 am
wouldnt this feature create even more lag (esp mini/chaingun)? also it would benefit the auto players the most, but if thats what uze want...

edit: destructable polygons is an interesting idea... maybe you could make it so you can only destroy down to a certain level. this way there could be no holes in the floor where people fall down.

Niff
July 15, 2004, 12:31 pm
quote:Originally posted by Noobile
wheeee semantics... the soccom is a modified H&K USP Mk.23 wich comes in 9mm,.40s&w,.45auto and .357sig.

Whee! *readies limited calibre knowledge*

Judging the power compared the the Desert Eagle in this game, don't you think it would be .45? .357 sig is plausible too, but .45 is just such a cool number >_>

Noobile
July 15, 2004, 2:44 pm
who knows what michal intended the soccom to be calibre-wise, I was just trying to make a point, it *could* be 9mm. anyhoo, I thought this was a ricochet thread (for the second time). why does destructible poly's keep coming up, here's the destructible poly's thread http://archive.forums.soldat.pl/topic.php?topic_id=14522
discuss that there, try and stay on topic....

Kazuki
July 15, 2004, 3:11 pm
lol, Noobface started the whole destructable polygon discussion! Bah on him!

July 15, 2004, 6:32 pm
quote:Originally posted by frogboy
What about ricochets on certain polygons... a bullet just wouldn't ricochet off some surfaces.

Did someone say different polygon types?

peemonkey
July 15, 2004, 6:53 pm
dont talk about destructable terrain guys, this thread must stay pure XD
sanity: minigun only really lags bad comps :/ most servers have it disabled anyway, so it dunt matta really. it wouldnt give much of an advantage to auto users, cuz rugers barrets deagles and maybe spas' would hit harder with there bounce-back. plus it doesnt mean everyone's gonna be using it as a constant technique. it'll be something fun! XD

papasurf31
July 16, 2004, 1:15 am
Why this idea rox:
1.)Adds element of randomness to a game which is otherwise lacking it.
2.)Trickshots would be cool to do if a bit unrealistic.
3.)Also would add depth to the gameplay and even a bit of strategy.
4.)Wouldn't be very difficult to program either. It's a lot like the coding for grenade bounce but would use a smaller virtual gravity parameter so the shots would fly farther.
5.)(more to come)

Why this idea sux:
1.)If this is ever implemented, many other realism related ideas would also have to be implemented or you would have one very angry soldat community.
2.)This would undoubtedly give autos an edge and would diminsh the usefulness of single shot weapons like m79 and LAW and spas12.
3.)Minigun spamming.
5.)The little extra factor would create lag during multiplayer online, something we have more than enough of.
6.)If a new polygon type were to be added, this would also create lag.
7.)(more to come)

KnOt
July 16, 2004, 1:23 am
I like the fact that ordinary bullets should perhaps bounce back from colliders, but an m79 bullet should NEVER bounce back

peemonkey
July 16, 2004, 2:10 am
how would it make people angry? that makes no sense. and spas would ric too. every go target shooting? sometimes they come back...
how would it diminish usefulness of them? m79 still kills a bunch of people, as does law. i dont get how it cheapens them out. and lag? hmm....

Cookie.
July 16, 2004, 3:07 am
IS COOL ALL BULLETS RICHOCHET :) DO NOW MICHAL! lol

Kazuki
July 16, 2004, 3:13 am
I wouldn't think it would create much lag, if any. It's not that big of a thing. Bullets are considered objects once they are shot. If they were to change direction, then it should be no big deal.

Well, when you think about it, M79s and LAW's explode, so when they hit the ricochet spot, they should go poof with some fancy sounds and sparkles. Guns like Spas, DE's, and Soccom should only ricochet if they are shooting into the ricochet spot from close up, because they don't fly very far or very fast.

Niff
July 16, 2004, 6:08 am
I propose.. like they bounce with half power and a short range, like the SPAS when it rips through a pile of corpses >=D

Noobile
July 16, 2004, 6:34 am
Technically speaking kaz, any bullet can ricochet off of any solid surface, given the right varables like distance,speed,angle,twist,vector(differs from angle,in this matter),and striking surface composition. so thats alot of varables for michal to program in, unless he does somthing like bullet ricochets x% reduce speed/power by x% etc. etc. I still like the idea, It would be fun to see what kind of crazy stuff one could come up with...

peemonkey
July 16, 2004, 7:33 am
not every solid surface: jello.

Unlucky 13
July 16, 2004, 8:05 am
and what about point blank range? the bullet wood go thru. and the barret (god, i hate that word) can go thru almost all solid surfaces, or why is it used gainst tanks in real life???

peemonkey
July 16, 2004, 8:50 am
go through what? and if you hate the word, know yer enemy by spelling it right.(Barrett)

Hiei
July 16, 2004, 12:43 pm
I actually like this idea peemonky.....kinda like how nades bounce of stuff.

Kazuki
July 16, 2004, 12:49 pm
quote:Originally posted by Unlucky 13
and what about point blank range? the bullet wood go thru. and the barret (god, i hate that word) can go thru almost all solid surfaces, or why is it used gainst tanks in real life???

What are you talking about? lol The Barret can't go through solid surfices last time I checked. O_o Well, bullets can't pierce titanium... I think. That meaning that the colliders could be plated with titanium or something.

peemonkey
July 16, 2004, 2:18 pm
that guy confused me. get outta my thread!! XD

Hiei
July 16, 2004, 2:43 pm
Lmao....XD

sanity
July 16, 2004, 4:11 pm
but when would the bullet _stop_ ricocheting.. after the first bounce? extra information might need to be sent for the reflecting formulae and _bullets would have a longer life_ thats why i thought it might create some extra lag when its alot of bullets... wouldnt help it anyway [:P]

Hiei
July 16, 2004, 4:13 pm
That is probably true especially if a minigun was being used lag city

BManx2000
July 16, 2004, 4:18 pm
Well, since the bullet would be going slower after a ricochet, whether it ricochets again could just be determined by its speed. No need for extra data.

Noobile
July 16, 2004, 4:41 pm
peemonkey, jello is not a solid, it's a transition material, it's technically both liquid, and solid...

bman brings up a good point,however, mabye the ricochet should be determined by speed, and angle,(tries to remember high school geometry....) like the initial angle is<20degrees from vertex, so the terminal angle should be obtuse from the vertex, (if you shoot a wall at a greater than 20 deg. angle, the ricochet should be at a 70 deg. angle) and if bullet is traveling at X speed when reaches terminal point, speed/power is reduced by X%.... thats how it works in my head.... Have you asked michal about this yet?

peemonkey
July 16, 2004, 9:22 pm
nope. stop trying to act smart too.XD jello is not transitional, because it cant go back to liquid, and it isnt on the way to becoming more solid unless you freeze it. it's a solid. ric's wouldnt cause lag, and if they did, it'd be so minor you couldnt tell unless you were using something built in 1993.

Noobile
July 17, 2004, 4:24 am
[Off topic} not trying to sound smart like a smart a** but...
http://www.gelatin.co.za/gltn1.html
that should support my statements of jello being neither a sloid, nor a liquid. thus being a transitional material. [/off topic]

peemonkey
July 17, 2004, 6:44 am
lol. you got too much time on yer hands. this is the only forum on the net that an go from ricocheting bullets to what jello is on 1 page XD

Skate4Razors
July 17, 2004, 8:10 pm
I wanna see le ricoshe happen, lol. That would be so fun!

papasurf31
July 18, 2004, 11:35 am
Sorry peemonkey, Noobile is right. Jello, or for that matter, any general gelatanous substance (say that five times fast) is technically a transitional substance, although it could be called a solid if you wanted to. Although it can hold it's shape, its atoms are not fixed and so can not be classified entirely as a solid. It's a lot like aerofoam, the stuff NASA made to sheild it's satelites upon reentry and it was created by a man named...Anyways, could we get back on topic?

Instead of special riccochet polys, each weapon should have a specific ricco %. Barretts, M79, and LAWs, and maybe minigun should have no ricco. Spas, mp5, and deagles should have low ricco because of their low shot speeds, and autos should have medium riccochet %. Ruger and minimi should have higher ricco just to balance them out.

peemonkey
July 19, 2004, 4:55 am
dont make only certain polys ric, cuz that's too much coding then's needed. everything non-explosive should ric depending on how fast/close the bullets are(like shooting through people). minigun not having it would be stupid and yet another reason to only use it as a jet. stop talking about jello, i dont care.

Element_101
July 19, 2004, 10:34 am
Ok first up shut up with the whole jello thing! this is soldat forums if you wanna talk about jello and crap, talk to your nan or something.

Not a bad idea but theres more important things that could be implemeneted and probably will be, if your serious bout this peemonkey why not contact michal.

peemonkey
July 19, 2004, 7:58 pm
cuz he most likely doesnt think too highly of me. get a mod to point it out to him, im just peemonkey.

Kazuki
July 19, 2004, 11:07 pm
You should PM boosta. He's the one that sends Michal a list of the best suggestions every now and then, so you should talk to him.

peemonkey
July 19, 2004, 11:17 pm
im shy :(
actually, if it's that good of an idea, michal's heard of it already, so there'd be no point in bringing more attention to it. i'd just love shooting someone with ruger twice, then getting outta my path, and me sending 8 bullets into the ceiling, 1 killing him....this is a good idea IMO

sergioe16
July 20, 2004, 3:53 am
Yeah i also think its a good idea.

Sjuge
July 20, 2004, 7:42 pm
quote:Originally posted by Swazo
This is a cool idea, 'specially since it allows me a new way to accidentially kill my self. I was getting bored with the whole, throwing a grenade into the floor and having it bounce up into my face. Hilariously good idea.(not meant to sound sarcastic in any way)

How about throwing your knife straight up into the air and attempting to catch it with your face?

sanity
July 21, 2004, 6:51 am
i dont want a feature that mostly benefits autos... its easy enough to spray and pray as it is.

Noobile
July 21, 2004, 11:53 am
This featurre would benefit all weapons. The auto's would have more rounds coming out, but they wouldn't travel as much, nor have any kind of comperable power. yeah, it's easy to spray a guy with an mp, but the ricochet's would nowhere near travel as far,or do as much damage, as say, that of a ruger shell. in close quarters auto's would own (as they do, already in close quarters) but distances are owned by the two rifles (as they would with this change) it always depends on the situation, as to what weapon benefit's what purpose. you just have to choose.

sanity
July 21, 2004, 1:07 pm
i mostly use m79 so i wouldnt get any advantage.. it would just make everyone else harder to beat. because autos are usually the weapon of choice for n00bs it would also make them alot more annoying. so its a definite no from me.

Kazuki
July 21, 2004, 7:31 pm
Maps are there for a reason. :) Not every map has to have ricochet walls, and not many of them would have to exist, but the idea is a good one overall.

peemonkey
July 21, 2004, 8:33 pm
what advantage? there'ed hardly be any advantage at all. sure it comes back up, but not always directly to you, and not as powerful. im not too interested in the 'differnt polys for ric's'' thing, why not just all polys? yer thinking to much coding

Kazuki
July 22, 2004, 12:25 pm
Because then there would be chaos. Bullet's would be flying in every direction, like in a spray war. And besides, last time I checked, bullets don't ricochet off of dirt.

Edit: What about just making a second type of collider? Instead of stopping the bullet, it creates a ricochet.

DeMonIc
July 22, 2004, 1:00 pm
Kazuki = genius
Well that's prolly the easiest and best way to do this... I vote YES on ricochet collider!

BManx2000
July 22, 2004, 4:04 pm
Who would want to place 16842 colliders on a map? Besides, colliders are probably the WORST thing for ricochets, because Michal would have to program a whole new collision detection thing for them because as they are now, they would give no indication of the direction the bullets would ricochet (unless there was a direction checkbox on the colliders, which equals even more work for the mapper). Also, if there were special ricochet polys, Michal would have to rework the polygon code AND release a new map maker AND make ricochet-enabled versions of the original maps (mappers would also have to redo their maps as well if they want ricochets). I don't think every poly ricocheting would create a "spray war" because bullets would only ricochet once in most cases and they wouldn't fly that far.

Kazuki
July 22, 2004, 5:13 pm
Ok, let's get something straight... YOU DON'T HAVE TO MAKE SO MANY RICOCHET SPOTS IN EACH MAP! Do you see regeneration poly's everywhere? How about lava poly's? Are they on each and every wall surrounding you? Hmm?!? If you want to make it so that each and every polygon ricochets, go ahead, but it seems like the worst idea to me. Let's all grab autos and ricochet the hell out of each other using the ceiling! Colliders still seem the best to me. If you were to just copy the original colliders and program them so that they take in the bullet and spray it back out, the physics should take care of the rest, IMO. Of course, I don't know much about it at all, but it sure seems better than bullets being able to ricochet on everything they hit.

DeMonIc
July 22, 2004, 5:14 pm
That's why u don't make entire maps ricochet, only parts of it.Besides, MIchal can make ricochet cols have larger sizes, so u just put it on a whole polygon.

BManx2000
July 22, 2004, 7:42 pm
But then the bullet would suddenly turn around in midair -.-

papasurf31
July 26, 2004, 11:37 pm
Kazuki=not genius

Coliders are actually just "bullets collide only" polygons that can't be seen in game. Currently though, the only programing in a "bullets collide only" poly is that if bullets touch it, they're stopped but players are not stopped by the poly. It has no idea of the direction of the bullet or where it impacted with the poly, let alone know what angle the shot conected with the surface of the poly. And since colliders are so small, you would have to put them everywhere to make just on surface ricochetable (is that a word?). Takes up way to much time. Instead, actual ricochet polys would be better. You could change the size of it on the fly an all you have to do to make a surface ricco would be to create a polygon there. You dig?

Toumaz
July 27, 2004, 5:07 pm
Would be cool.
But maybe a lot of lag.