( search forums )
New Taunts System
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Niff
July 15, 2004, 12:22 pm
If any of you have played Global Operations, you'll have more of a clue what I'm talking about:

I'm proposing a new taunt system, like the one on GOps. You press a key (Z by default) and it comes up with a small square menu of the bottom left, above the health bar.

ORDERS:

1. General Team
2. Capture The Flag
3. Infiltration
3. Taunts
(ADMIN ONLY) 4. Server Commands

Say you press one, and it comes up with 10 different team commands that you choose:

1. ^Retreat
2. ^Attack
3. ^Regroup
4. ^Hold position
ETC.
So you press 2, and it pops up in chat as ^Retreat.
and for CTF:

1. ^Incoming
2. ^Enemy escaping up
3. ^Enemy escaping down
4. ^Got flag, going up
5. ^Got flag, going down
6. ^Attacking top
7. ^Attacking bottom
8. ^Defending
ETC

Again, you press the corresponding number and it pops up as that message.

Infiltration:

1. ^Incoming
2. ^They took the objective
3. ^Objective returned

Again, press the corresponding number, blah blah..

and for plain old taunts:

1. /victory
2. /smoke
3. /piss
4. Die!

This time, you press the corresponding number and your Soldat does the action or corresponding chat taunt.

Admin commands:

1. /kick
2. /ban
3. /shutdown

But this time, if you press 1 or 2 - it comes up with a player list that you can click on a player name, and it kicks that player without having to type his/her name or number.

Also, on an unrelated note, why not have team commands as voice as well, like preset .wav files, ala Counterstrike or Global Ops?

Eh, tell me what you think, I personally think it would be alot easier.

CbbLe
July 15, 2004, 12:36 pm
I suggested it long ago but then nobody cared :)

I like it, but you have to be able to configure the taunts in the menu by yourself...

Niff
July 15, 2004, 12:41 pm
Well, you already have to configure CTF commands and stuff by yourself anyway, don't you?

Kazuki
July 15, 2004, 1:12 pm
Good idea, although it would probably take a lot more coding that it takes right now, and it's not exactly necessary.

Dathker
July 16, 2004, 2:29 am
teh gay for n00bs

frogboy
July 16, 2004, 2:36 am
It took me long enough to get used to my current taunts, don't make it any harder. :(

Aquarius
July 16, 2004, 3:03 am
good idea, but the taunt-tree structure should be editable.

Hiei
July 16, 2004, 4:02 am
I could just imagine some noob doing a taunt over and over till we kill ourselves.....

Kazuki
July 16, 2004, 4:19 am
Yeah, it'd be a great boost to organization in taunts.

I.E.:

1) Incoming
2) Friendly FC
3) Enemy FC
4) Miscellaneous

Incoming

1) Above
2) Middle
3) Below

Friendly FC

1) Above
2) Middle
3) Below

Enemy FC

1) Above
2) Middle
3) Below

Miscellaneous

1) Enemies in base.
2) Need backup. (branches off into Above, Middle, and Below)
3) On defense.
4) On offense.
5) Flag loose. (branches off into Above, Middle, and Below)

Something like that would be real nice.

Niff
July 16, 2004, 5:38 am
A /stfu command would be good as well, if this was in the game.

AerialAssault
July 16, 2004, 5:57 am
I SAY YAY!

Marine
July 16, 2004, 7:02 am
Its in most shooter games, not just Global Operations. But I dont think its necessary.

Unlucky 13
July 16, 2004, 8:23 am
quote:Originally posted by Niff
A /stfu command would be good as well, if this was in the game.

maybe he can do the rude arm thrust thing, or block his ears! anyways, i say go for it!

Kazuki
July 16, 2004, 1:09 pm
O_o What good would that do? Seriously... Plugging your ears? Thank god it was a joke. (I hope)

Hiei
July 16, 2004, 2:45 pm
It would be just as cool if we could use mics.....

Hektik Sniper
July 16, 2004, 3:04 pm
think about it, soldat has [:-censored]ty netcode as it is. If it had to transmit voice data too it would be even worse ;)

edit -

Admin commands:

1. /kick
2. /ban
3. /shutdown

But this time, if you press 1 or 2 - it comes up with a player list that you can click on a player name, and it kicks that player without having to type his/her name or number.

That is one of the best ideas ive seen posted :o

Unlucky 13
July 16, 2004, 11:45 pm
quote:Originally posted by Kazuki
O_o What good would that do? Seriously... Plugging your ears? Thank god it was a joke. (I hope)

Ya, a joke. but i still say go for it, like the UT menu and stuff. maybe added voice taunts 2

Michal
July 17, 2004, 12:13 am
Good idea, it would make CTF/INF less frustrating because less time would be wasted typing.

A system like this is used in Operation Flashpoint and it's very convenient.

There should also be confirm commands like "copy/roger" so you know who is going to do what when they are given info.

KnOt
July 17, 2004, 12:21 am
Nah.. After you get used to them, your taunts as they are become easier than ever to access and communicate with.. I don't really fancy a change right now.. soldat's too fast paced for menu's and whatnots.

Niff
July 17, 2004, 1:33 pm
True, but a quick menu - you said just then that you get used to pressing buttons quickly, so to say "^Incoming", you'd just press z-2-1 quickly and voila!

Oh, and by /stfu, you put in like /stfu Chakra and it will ignore the player named "Chakra" :P

Kazuki
July 17, 2004, 1:47 pm
Well... couldn't you just type... /ignore instead? lol Yeah, you'd have to get used to the organization of taunts, but when you do, it'd be real easy.

b00stA
July 17, 2004, 2:01 pm
Not a really necessary feature, but it'd be nice though :)
it's good for beginners because they just have to remember the numbers like "M (brings up menu) 1 (incoming) 2 (middle)"
but in the end, if you want to do it really fast the current taunt system is probably better

N1nj@
July 17, 2004, 2:19 pm
the current system is not really the fastest, the thing is (this has be brought up a hundred of times) that when you press alt + a-z, 1-0, the doesn't instantly send out the message, you have to press enter =\ which takes more time. Also, the fact that when you press alt + a-z, 1-0, your soldier has to pause for like a second since you can't run and press alt + a-z, 1-0, the same time.

Niff
July 23, 2004, 5:24 am
Oh yeah, and when you select the taunt, it's broadcast automatically..

DeMonIc
July 23, 2004, 5:42 pm
I will say this for the last time:
If u make instant taunts, u must take out the kill command.Or nerf it.
Because by taking out the end of taunt enter, I could press my /kill taunt button everytime I'm close to getting fragged.
But anyhow this is a nice idea.

Spectral
July 25, 2004, 10:01 pm
i played a game with a taunt system like the one you suggest. although it would give more flexibility, i just don't think it's necessary

kevith
July 25, 2004, 11:08 pm
I think I prefer it the way it is now. I don't really feel strongly enough about it to make much of an argument, but I think the way it is now works more quickly for me (it just takes a little more brain power to organize and remember your system). If I could have it as an option then I could try it and decide from there.

loserisme
July 26, 2004, 5:54 pm
nah. I don't really even see the point of taunts. just type it uo yourself. The reall sucky part is you can't move while typing... I would like THAT to be fixed

b00stA
July 26, 2004, 6:33 pm
quote:Originally posted by loserisme
nah. I don't really even see the point of taunts. just type it uo yourself. The reall sucky part is you can't move while typing... I would like THAT to be fixed

and how would that work? Many people use W A S D to move.

N1nj@
July 26, 2004, 6:53 pm
quote:Originally posted by DeMonIc
I will say this for the last time:
If u make instant taunts, u must take out the kill command.Or nerf it.
Because by taking out the end of taunt enter, I could press my /kill taunt button everytime I'm close to getting fragged.
But anyhow this is a nice idea.
that's no excuse, if you really dont want people fragging you, you could still kill yourself fast. alt+1, enter, boom, you are dead. Also, there is plenty games out there that have a kill command, I dont see people abusing it when they are close to getting fragged. On another note, I think it -1 in kills/deaths if you kill yourself, so that's sort of like a penalty.
quote:Originally posted by loserisme
So you are saying you rather type "Enemny Flag Carrier: Below" then just pressing 3 keys?

Sjuge
July 26, 2004, 7:00 pm
Insta-taunts would be nice. I like that. It would improve team play, definetly. But I don't think we really need taunts such as "Objective captured", since this already appears at the bottom of your screen automatically every time an objective is actually captured.