( search forums )
My idea for a custom minimap
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
sergioe16
July 20, 2004, 3:49 am
I know this has been posted before but this is the way i think it could be done if implemented:

1.It would be optional. You can disable in the player settings.
2.Server host can disable it on the server settings.
3.Instead of having a specific key to show it, the map would be faily small and reside on hte lower left corner of the screen. Maybe a key could be added to change the zoom level or disable. Something like small>medium>hide, press again to return to small.
4. The map will only show people of you team. In order to show enemies they will need to be in the direct line of sight and not behind an object such as a crate or bush.
5. If you dont like the idea above, then the map would not show enemies at all.
6. When someone in you team says something, their dot in minimap would flash white for a brief moment.
7.Important map objetives would be marked with a small flag to help new players learn the map.
8.Map could be set as semi-transparent in the options menu.

The only reason i sugest this is because i really think it would improve coordination in a team, specially in public servers when most people dont talk and organize themselves. You know, if done right this may end up making take way a little more fun and less frustrating at times.

If you disagree with me, please tell me why you dont like it, or some way to improve upon this.

peemonkey
July 20, 2004, 5:21 am
you cant quite say 'behind bush', becuz the image could be semi-transpaerent and the game woundtk now. this has been suggested acouple of times, so for further use, please use the search function, even if you dont think it helps, look to see if it's been suggested. im not too for the idea, because it makes it too easy for the vets and too hard for the noobs.

sergioe16
July 20, 2004, 8:03 pm
I did use the search function and read the previous post about this idea. It seems to be that the main problem people have is that the minimap would reduce the element of surprise and reveal campers. If thats the case then the minimap should not reveal enemies at all.

peemonkey
July 20, 2004, 8:53 pm
if it was implemented, then no, it shouldnt shoe enemies. what if you couldnt see one, but it was on the minimap? it'd take away from good camping. only teammates should be seen, or teammate with flag(not emeny FC) the local....nah, forget it. it wouldnt be good...

Deleted User
July 21, 2004, 12:21 am
If anything, a motion sensor would be cool. Only being able to see moving people.

Or a minimap showing where your teammates are.

peemonkey
July 21, 2004, 12:33 am
yea, motion censor i guess... like a little line, that when broken, sned you a message...:) but no, me no like :(

DeMonIc
July 21, 2004, 9:30 am
Hmm..
motion censor would be a bit hard to get used 2 I think...
How bout u have some triangles that are ur team colored, and always show the way ur teammates are?(one triangle/teammate) and some basic information on how far he is from u(like given in meters)
And if one of them gets the flag, his triangle would get yellow, or I dunno...
U get the message :)

Unlucky 13
July 21, 2004, 10:11 am
maybe if they are behind colliders, u cant see em on minimap. may work. oh, and it says if a person has "scoped" etc. so if u are in a snipe sight, u get a warning. nah.