( search forums )
[SUGGESTION] PMs Pop-up
Soldat Forums - Misc - Forum News and Support
N1nj@
July 22, 2004, 12:24 am
When you visit the forum and somebody had sent you a PM, a pop-up window will jump up, and give you the follow options:

1. Go to the Inbox
2. Go to the Inbox (New window)
3. Close Window (Read later)

this will also go under the option page in the Private Message area.

(this is a suggestion only)

b00stA
July 22, 2004, 12:32 am
hmm.. option as in "Enable popup for PMs"?
because I'd get a popup every 5 minutes I reload right now ;)

it's a common feature among other forums and I like it

Edit: the above post made me ponder.. no.
N1nj@ suggested this option, he didn't ask a question ABOUT it :)

N1nj@
July 22, 2004, 12:44 am
quote:Originally posted by b00stA
hmm.. option as in "Enable popup for PMs"?
because I'd get a popup every 5 minutes I reload right now ;)

it's a common feature among other forums and I like it

Edit: the above post made me ponder.. no.
N1nj@ suggested this option, he didn't ask a question ABOUT it :)
glad you like it =)

quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrick
yeah... that option... i know i saw it somewhere, but where?
-Brick
Check the topic. Does it clear things out now for you?

peemonkey
July 22, 2004, 1:34 am
it doesnt exsist brick. he's saying it should. i dont really see the point, because when you get one, there's that little flashy thingy saying you gots one. hard to miss, imo.
if you refresh enough to keep up on more than 1 topic at a time, you can find out withing 5 min usually.

FliesLikeABrick
July 22, 2004, 2:21 am
ah ok... that makes more sense then. I didn't realize it was a suggestion. Oh well.
-Brick

N1nj@
July 22, 2004, 2:50 am
the point is to enhance the forum features? I dont see why this is bad..or whatever you trying to say

Deleted User
July 22, 2004, 8:47 am
I would like to see this.

Unlucky 13
July 22, 2004, 8:50 am
nice, but how long would the forums be down for it?

Hitman
July 22, 2004, 12:06 pm
No.

N1nj@
July 22, 2004, 3:22 pm
quote:Originally posted by Unlucky 13
huh? Why would the forum be down?

Kazuki
July 22, 2004, 3:32 pm
quote:Originally posted by Hitman
No.

No reason given. Invalid.

If it were an option, then why not? If it isn't too much work, it'd be nice to see. I have this problem with Opera. It doesn't automatically reload my pages when I visit them, so when I visit the All Forums page, I see things from 5 minutes ago, and therefore don't always know when I have a PM. A pop-up window would normally open up anyway, because the server is sending information that's different each time, and opens in a different window.

FliesLikeABrick
July 22, 2004, 11:01 pm
The problem with adding a feature like that is that forums like this are premade, and unless you know ASP extremely well, it will be near impossible for styx to add the feature. If i ran a forum that was php based, even with all my php experience i would have a very hard time adding a feature into a premade format like phpbb. But then again, i believe styx made the webring from scratch, and I like how that works, it's pretty simple in concept how the JS interacts with the ASP and database etc etc. but anyways... point is that it would be probably be difficult to add that kind of feature to a premade forum.
-Brick

edit: now that i think about it, it can be done in 3 or 4 lines of code.

edit #2: styx, i have some ideas on this and something for the webring. PM me if you read this and are interested.

Deleted User
July 22, 2004, 11:51 pm
I believe there is probably a Snitz forum mod for this you know...all Styx has to do is look around.

DNA.styx
July 23, 2004, 8:38 am
Already got 3 differant ones that I can use, but I need to get the file system finished off (and also I'm back to work after a week off so i don't have as much time to spend on it)

Unlucky 13
July 23, 2004, 9:06 am
oh, is that a big bummer. im back at skool now as well (not that no1 cares). but isnt there a problem with that, as ud hav to make it slo down. oh, and NO SOUNDS! they make most pcs go dooooooooooooooown. please

Element_101
July 23, 2004, 10:20 am
Well that answers your question N1nj@

Unlucky 13
July 23, 2004, 10:52 am
quote:Originally posted by N1nj@
quote:Originally posted by Unlucky 13
huh? Why would the forum be down?

because they were down when the Uploads were changed and when the back of the txt table where changed. that was 10 mins, lots of wasted post time.
BTW i spend more time on the forums than playing soldat! lol! i fell like a n00b when i play online again!

N1nj@
July 23, 2004, 2:22 pm
OH NO! NOT 10 MINUTES!!!!! 1/144 of the day. OH NO.

Anyway, is that a 'no' then?

DNA.styx
July 25, 2004, 12:13 pm
Feature added: link

FliesLikeABrick
July 29, 2004, 11:26 pm
thanks
-Brick