( search forums )
My second (and better) map: Tower of Abyss
Soldat Forums - Soldat Maps & Map Making - New Maps
Blizard_Dragon
July 22, 2004, 10:08 pm
Hey guys! I read the comments of some of you guys on my first map, Mystic Realm, and I think my skills advanced in map making. I passed the day on this map, I hope you guys will like it. It is an infiltration map.

[IMAGE]

The construction, far better than my first map (which had only 3 polygons)

[IMAGE]

The final result!!!
(Red=Red Flag
Blue=Blue Flag)

Download it here: http://www.freewebs.com/blizard_dragon/inf_custom%20-%20tower%20of%20abyss.pms

I hope to receive comments on this map too, and I hope even more you will enjoy it!

Leo Da Lunerfox
July 22, 2004, 11:15 pm
I don't get it, is this an inf map, or a ctf map?

Deleted User
July 22, 2004, 11:17 pm
Looks good. Would be better if you changed the background color. And leo he said its inf map. :P

Haro1121
July 23, 2004, 1:30 am
lol leos just confuse cuz it says red and blue and in infiltration its white and black flags MUCH BETTER IMPROVEMENT from ur first map and the blueprints look shweet

Leo Da Lunerfox
July 23, 2004, 4:30 am
heheh, I'm stupid like that some times lol, and yeah, that map looked hella tight on the wireframe mode.

DeMonIc
July 23, 2004, 10:57 am
Hmm..
I like ur style kid...
Read the awesome shaing manual in the mapping help parts, and make 1337 maps!

Blizard_Dragon
July 23, 2004, 1:01 pm
Thank you guys... it's always nice to hear good things about something you put effort into. I will try to get better in my next maps and give you information!

grand_diablo
July 23, 2004, 2:51 pm
K, this attempt is way better than your first one, but still you need some mapping experience [;)]

Like it was already suggested, some additional smoothing and shading would be helpful, also less aggressive background colours. And there is (imho) also a problem with the blue spawnpoints. If they spawn on that edge on top of the tower, it will be impossible to escape with the flag, cause due to being on the higher position, they have the advantge against the flagcarrier going up, or fleeing downwards. Don't forget, red team mates need some time to go there again once they get killed, so even if they rush together and the half of them survives gettin to the flag, they will almost have no chance to escapte.

I recommend putting the blue spawnpoint lower, nearer to the flag to solve this.

Keep up the good work, youre definitely making a good progress.

Blizard_Dragon
July 23, 2004, 3:42 pm
quote:Originally posted by grand_diablo
K, this attempt is no way better than your first one, but still you need some mapping experience [;)]

No way better than your first one??? Lol anyway...

Right, I'll move the blue spawn point. What background colors should I use?

grand_diablo
July 23, 2004, 5:56 pm
eeek, sorry for the typo, it should be "way" better [;)]

PS: I corrected it now

Try using mid-blue (bottom) and a blueish gray on top, this might work.

Blizard_Dragon
July 23, 2004, 6:54 pm
[IMAGE]

[URL]

Here, it is the same but I changed the background color and I've put the blue team respawn near the flag. Is it better?

grand_diablo
July 23, 2004, 7:16 pm
aye, the bg colors now suit the map quite good, well done. Btw., the statgun is quite useless where it is placed, cause you cant shoot through the polys on the right.

the blue spawn is now a bit too near to the flag, i recommend screating spawns on the first, second and also maybe third plattform above the flag (you can place more than 1 team spawn). You could also create some more red spawns.

also put 2 polys like "little hills" the flagspawn, cause if the flag is shot, it may get so close to the wall, that it can be captured through it (thats what happened when I testet it with some bots). You might also thicken the wall on the right.
I also found some small glitches that should be corrected (for one of them look at the attached file pls). Also some shading and smoothing left to do, but still a nice second mapping attempt.

[file]glitch.jpg,9139,,[/file]

Blizard_Dragon
July 23, 2004, 7:24 pm
Well thanks Diablo for all your tips. I will try to arrange these.

Edit: done again [:D]!

http://www.freewebs.com/blizard_dragon/inf_custom%20-%20tower%20of%20abyss.pms

grand_diablo
July 23, 2004, 9:13 pm
Mmmh, the spawnpoints are good now, but there was a misunderstanding about the polys beside the flag. Anyway, the solution i had in mind, would look like this:

[file]suggestion.jpg,9139,,0[/file]

Cause the "hole" the flag was in in your try, would be a hell of a trap [;)]

You mustnt do it exactly as I suggested, but find a solution that prevents the flag from coming too close to the wall (like the 2 polys and the "platform" the statgun stands on).

Blizard_Dragon
July 23, 2004, 9:53 pm
How about this?

[IMAGE]

[URL]

I'm starting to be tired of uploading my map into my website [:P]

grand_diablo
July 23, 2004, 10:28 pm
MMmmh why not? should work like this too.

Blizard_Dragon
July 23, 2004, 10:46 pm
Good! Beside some shading and minor glitches, I think my map is finally finished. I want to thank Leo, Ville, Haro, Demonic, b00sta and mainly grand diablo (who helped me A LOT) for their help. My map-making skills have upgraded thank to you guys (just look the difference between Mystic Realm and this one, Tower of Abyss... I won't tell you anything more lol).

I will post more information about my next map in a few days. I have an idea about a CTF called Hailfire Peaks. For now I thought it to be like the red's side like a volcano, a hot mountain covered with lava, while the blue's side would be like an icy mountain. As I told before, I will post more info (or even the map) in a few days. Any ideas about this new map will be welcome.

See you later guys!