( search forums )
Ultimate 13 Custom server - Is up!
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
FliesLikeABrick
July 22, 2004, 11:27 pm
The time is nearing for the passworded U13 Custom server to go up. it may be short term, may be long term... i don't know yet. It depends how things work out. I plan to have it up within a couple hours, so watch this page. I will also make a page on my site that allows you to add your own custom maps to the server, without any admin help, then once in game you just have to ask an admin to switch to the map. I'm not sure of the details of that page yet, so do not ask. It may only work for maps that do not need custom scenery, and i wll have a separate one for zip/rar files, which i will later do manually. Voice your opinions here so I can see the demand, and give more info where needed.
I know many people have been waiting for a custom map server to replace the DNA server, and there was talk of that being my job. Unlike my main U13 server, the stats will not be recorded from this server, but with enough demand, i could create a second site for it. I may eventually move my servers around so that the website runs on the faster computer as well. None of this is for sure, except that the server will be up tonight sometime at soldat://ultimate13.dynu.com:23173 (yes, 23173).

post any questions here, do not bug me on AIM. I'll edit this post to include more information later, as well as once the server is up.

The all-inclusive, nothing special mappack is at http://ultimate13.dynu.com:6080/soldat/maps/u13mappack3.zip

The real, (currently beta) mappack: Unavailable ATM, but the one above this has almost everything in it anyways.

There will be a page on the Ultimate 13 Soldat site relatively soon with the following:
List of maps in rotation List of maps on the server computer A page for you to upload your own mapsA page to request admin rights A general comments page Server status (like/better than what U13 uses now)

-More details later.

(Moved to the Lounge - Stalky)

SeanCapsAss
July 23, 2004, 2:14 am
is there goanna be a mappack so we wont have to dl all the maps separetly??

Kazuki
July 23, 2004, 3:22 am
I have compiled all of the maps in those two links, and I have categorized all of the files into 4 main folders. This is all one big download, so I'm sorry for the inconvenience. The categories are Maps, Textures, Scenery, and Bots. It's pretty simple, really. Just extract all the folders into your Soldat directory. I would strongly recommend that you create backup files of these 4 folders before extracting.

The map pack consists of 35 maps, 333 Scenery bitmaps, 4 new textures, and 15 bots.

Edit: Download: Unavailable (3.5 MB)

The Noid
July 23, 2004, 4:40 am
This is great, custom maps and the server is hosted by Brick.
[:D]

Kazuki
July 23, 2004, 5:19 am
We've tried out a lot of maps, and found some good, and other's not so good. Either way, we've only been testing the ctf ones. More fun tomorrow! =D Inf maps kick the most ass!

n00bface
July 23, 2004, 5:19 am
god those maps are awesome, especially ctf_Bedroom (only if your friends are there :p)..unfortunatly ctf_Bedroom gets me down to 15 fps lol..

Melba
July 23, 2004, 11:22 am
Arena.PMS?????
are you [:-censored]ing kidding me?!

Kazuki
July 23, 2004, 12:19 pm
lol, Hey, it was in the link Brick gave, so I put it in :P

quote:Originally posted by n00bface
god those maps are awesome, especially ctf_Bedroom (only if your friends are there :p)..unfortunatly ctf_Bedroom gets me down to 15 fps lol..

Yeah, that's because it uses so many bitmaps, but the map is pimped out.

DeMonIc
July 23, 2004, 12:31 pm
1 question:
Will it be realistic?(sometimes)

Kazuki
July 23, 2004, 3:12 pm
Well, he'd have to often restart it for that. =\

SeanCapsAss
July 23, 2004, 4:20 pm
relistic? God save us!

Deleted User
July 23, 2004, 4:56 pm
Now i have tested all the maps and i have to say... Whos bright idea was it to make a map pack with over 50% of maps complete crap? And then there was this map called ctf_snipernoob where blue team starts on deadly polies. I mean noone is so stupid to make a map like that. There was sure alot more crappy maps too. And btw... Wtf is that hentai picture doing in scenery-gfx file? oO

Kazuki
July 23, 2004, 5:02 pm
WTF? lol I only tested all of them up to ctf_JungleStrike, which, may I say, is one of most kick-ass maps out there. Half of the maps so far were pretty good, and some were REALLY good. I have to try out the Inf maps afterwards. Inf maps RULE!

Elephant_Hunter
July 23, 2004, 8:11 pm
there were a couple errors i noticed in some of the maps :

ctf_ground : NEEDS RECOMPILED (d/l new version from SML site)
ctf_HamburgerHill : Needs shorter name

FliesLikeABrick
July 24, 2004, 12:14 am
If you guys could actually read the other parts of this thread, you will see that i threw this server up in about 2 seconds, and that that mappack is just a combination of the custom maps from SML and my site, and even possibly a map file or two that were used to test it, hence arena.pms. If you would like to get the ball rolling on a real mappack for the server that has only good maps, please start making a list in here of all the maps you would like to see, and ill start putting a pack together, or just take the crummy ones out of rotation.
-Brick

Elephant_Hunter
July 24, 2004, 10:54 am
I'd say only 5-10 maps in standard rotation, but keep the map pack the same (okay, add the race maps too, that would be cool.) An admin could change to another custom map if asked [:D]

5 Maps :
ctf_Bedroom
ctf_JungleStrike
ctf_Danger2
ctf_Berlin
ctf_Anthill
... need I say more?

Leo Da Lunerfox
July 24, 2004, 10:56 am
my nominations for the maps that should stay in...

Ctf_Jungle Strike
Ctf_Berlin
Ctf_Danger1 and 2
Ctf_Bedroom
Ctf_Anthill

These 6 are the most played ones on the server, as i can tell for now...

FliesLikeABrick
July 24, 2004, 4:12 pm
yeah, i think the admin list is going to be pretty big, that way there will often be someone in there to change the map to one that isnt in rotation. im going to leave the same rotation in for now, so that other people can be exposed to the map and list their preferences here. I'll start compiling a master list to be used in a mappack.
-Brick

n00bface
July 24, 2004, 6:32 pm
I liked that morning one or whatever that gdiablo made that made my eyes hurt..

Leo Da Lunerfox
July 25, 2004, 12:52 am
Well, after looking at all the maps in rotation, the me and the other 2 admins voted for each one, whether to take them out or not. Here is the list of maps that are either has defects, buggy, or bad gameplay/graphics.

*Don't be offended please if any of your maps are on here, we are just trying to let people play the better maps. You could still ask an admin to change to that map.

Here is the list of maps that have problems:

Ctf_Mariocaves (Massive Missing Scenary)
Ctf_Snipernoob
Ctf_Spinal
Ctf_The Lake (Defected)
Ctf_The_foo (Defected)
Ctf_Town Soldat
Ctf_Toxic
Ctf_Cano
Ctf_Caves
Ctf_Confused
Ctf_Danger
Ctf_Flat
Ctf_Floopy
Ctf_Foo Shizzle
Ctf_ForestFront
Ctf_Jarhos
Ctf_La2un
Ctf_Nerf Caves
Ctf_Peak
Ctf_Nukecentral
Ctf_Ground (Defected)

We also wasn't able to play Ctf_Hamburgerhill, because the name was too long, and I couldn't find Ctf_Anthill on the rotation (Please put that map in, its a great map)

The other maps in the rotation are all great.

FliesLikeABrick
July 25, 2004, 12:55 am
ok, once i get some more input ill put together a new map (aka get kazuki to fix it up for me)
-Brick

Soulsnipa
July 25, 2004, 1:30 am
Whats wrong with Jarhos, La2un, Danger, Caves, confused, etc...

Soulsnipa
July 25, 2004, 1:38 am
quote:Originally posted by Kazuki
lol, Hey, it was in the link Brick gave, so I put it in :P

quote:Originally posted by n00bface

Yeah, that's because it uses so many bitmaps, but the map is pimped out.

Excuse me, the map uses no custom scenery sir.

Kazuki
July 25, 2004, 2:22 am
quote:Originally posted by Soulsnipa
Whats wrong with Jarhos, La2un, Danger, Caves, confused, etc...

Well, I wasn't there for all of it. Most of them, we just didn't like. Some were too plain, others were just ugly. We took out Danger because we included Danger 2, and having them both in there would be ridiculous. La2un had too many passageways, although I still think it kicks ass. :) Caves' layout was a bad one. That was the only problem.

In conclusion, we excluded the maps based on our votes, and we voted based on:

Shading
Layout
Size
Common Sense Used (For example, who would make a spawn point in a box full of spikes?)

There is probably more to the list. I just listed the more general categories. Still, we took fair votes, and decided what was best for the rotation of the server. Too bad Infiltration maps can't be put into the rotation. The Inf maps rock!

Edit: I renamed HamburgerHill to HamburgerHil, and even after I was able to play it, the scenery was missing, and it was nothing special. Also, how come ctf_Bedroom has such low fps if it doesn't use custom scenery?

Soulsnipa
July 25, 2004, 3:04 am
Well look at the polygon count, over 1500 I think, and they are very very tiny :). It was one pain to make.

Kazuki
July 25, 2004, 5:05 am
Well, since Brick has put me to work on the Map Pack, I have been doing my work on the map pack. Here are the changes:

-Removed the glitchy and unwanted maps, e.g. the list that Lunerfox put together.
-Added Rambo_6's CTF map pack.
-Added a different version of inf_ConcreteMountain, so that it works.
-Added Lost Village.
-Added Gold Dust.
-Added Asteroids
-Added Cyborg Lab.
-Added Amazon.
-Added inf_KazukiIsLame. All credit goes to Ville Mk.2.

Also, I am fully open to any map submitions/suggestions. I and 'partners,' Elephant, Lunerfox and I will look over them and report back here. :)

Melba
July 25, 2004, 1:47 pm
fungus cave is funneh

Leo Da Lunerfox
July 25, 2004, 7:22 pm
we should keep them, no harm in having more maps to choose form if its out of rotation.

Kazuki
July 25, 2004, 9:41 pm
Ok, all done. WHO WANTS TO BETA TEST?!? I'll be taking up to 5 beta testers, so that I don't give it all away ahead of time. :P

SeanCapsAss
July 26, 2004, 5:20 pm
ME ME!!! i'm on all the time and... yeah im on all the time...
msn:fizzban13@hotmail.com if u need it

July 26, 2004, 5:39 pm
quote:Originally posted by Melba
fungus cave is funneh

In what way "funneh"?
Also, I'd like to beta test...

n00bface
July 26, 2004, 5:55 pm
kazuki, pick me, or i'll take you off the payroll.

Kazuki
July 26, 2004, 6:07 pm
Nice, we got 3 takers. :) There's room for 2 more, just so you know. Sean, Sticky, and Llama, catch me on MSN or in the #soldat.forums IRC channel. If I can get the new map pack uploaded, I'll PM you a link. It's hard to do since the map pack is now 5.1 MB's large.

Also, we have another problem. Brick's server doesn't have all the new maps I've added installed yet, so we can't test there. I'll ask my buddy, Spike, to host for us, but just in case, can any of you beta testers open up a descent server just for the beta testing? We have to look for bugs and stuff, and have FF on just for kicks. ;)

Soulsnipa
July 26, 2004, 6:13 pm
I can help for suggestions on the best maps for a mappack. I'll try putting one together. Then we can join ideas. I think that the server should have 20 good working maps in rotation. Certain maps like Berlin do not work for everyone (such as myself) so maps like that have to be taken out of the rotation, and only be switched to by admins. As I said...Ill work on one.

July 26, 2004, 6:38 pm
any chance of having a separate inf server? I would really like to see funguscave online...

Deleted User
July 26, 2004, 8:23 pm
And i would really like to see inf_KazukiIsLame online.

Kazuki
July 26, 2004, 9:40 pm
quote:Originally posted by Soulsnipa
I can help for suggestions on the best maps for a mappack. I'll try putting one together. Then we can join ideas. I think that the server should have 20 good working maps in rotation. Certain maps like Berlin do not work for everyone (such as myself) so maps like that have to be taken out of the rotation, and only be switched to by admins. As I said...Ill work on one.

Nice. :) That would help a lot. I already have 20 or more good ctf maps in the map pack. Also, I have a lot of inf maps, so an infiltration server would work very well. The problem is that Brick can't host a whole community. We could ask Llama if he could put the inf maps into his server, but not in rotation, so if there's an admin in there with the map pack, he can switch the map or something. I wouldn't ask Llama to put them in rotation, because that would just ruin his server.

And I'd like to see inf_KazukiIsLame online as well. :P

Edit: We've got 6 beta testers, one more then needed, so please don't ask for a spot anymore. :) Thanks. Blah.

FliesLikeABrick
July 26, 2004, 9:54 pm
well, i can host as many sites as you guys want (thus a community) but unfortunately you are correct, I really need to watch my traffic for the soldat servers.
-Brick

Soulsnipa
July 26, 2004, 11:17 pm
Ctf Map Rotation:
1. Danger2-SoulSnipa
2. SkyGround-Sliker_Hawk
3. Peak-Grand_Diablo
4. CrystalCap-Sticky
5. Anthill-Lunerfox *
6. TheHill2004-G2kt -no background
7. Dragonwar-Paranoia
8. aq_rainbow-Aquarius
9. Evoland-Rambo_6
10. Goodnight-z1g
11. Flat-Boxo
12. Bedroom-SoulSnipa
13. Berlin-Lunerfox * **
14. JungleStrike-SML **
15. ctf_castle-EnjoyIncubus?
16. ForestBase-XXShavoXX
17. Facing Skulls-Roy
18. Flood-Rambo_6
19. dream-LxS
20. equinox-DogFather
21. B3B-EnjoyIncubus
22. Swamp-Soap
23. Besari-SoulSnipa

Thats what I came up with, check this link for downloads and info. Equinox and B3b will be need to found in the DNA Mappack. http://ultimate13.dynu.com:6080/host/sml//?p=server

Kazuki
July 27, 2004, 2:12 am
Well, I have half of the maps you listed. I'll tell you what I have that you listed.

-Besari
-Flood, Evoland, Marshlands, Pitfall, Rock (all are Rambo_6's maps)
-Bedroom
-SkyGround
-Danger2
-Anthill, JungleStrike, and Berlin
-TheHill2004

There are also maps that used to be in the map pack but got taken out. Here are the ones that are in your list.

-Flat
-Peak
-CrystalCap

That's it. The ones I need from that list are...

-Swamp
-B3b
-Equinox
-ForestBase
-Dream
-Castle
-DragonWar
-Goodnight
-aq_rainbow

And I am going to work. :P

Soulsnipa
July 27, 2004, 3:06 am
Ok well I released a beta version on SML forums which I made a Official U13 Custom Forum. Download the beta there if you'd like or...wait until we finish credits and make sure its ok before we release it here.

Its around 27 maps total and 24-25 in rotation.

Things to get completed:
Add one more map ctf_midnight
Add credits/readme

All of Rambo_6's maps arent THAT good really. I dont see why you still have them all. Swasi and Blitz etc...arent really too good.

Leo Da Lunerfox
July 27, 2004, 3:53 am
now lets not get into which map sucks worse.......

Soulsnipa
July 27, 2004, 3:58 am
What do you mean? I never really liked ALL of his maps. Usually they were put together so fast, and weren't the best gameplay.

Kazuki
July 27, 2004, 4:14 am
I like them. They're not the best, or all that fancy, but I like them. :) By the way, I still couldn't get my hands on Equinox. For some reason, the link just reloaded the page.

Edit: I couldn't get B3b either. =\

Soulsnipa
July 27, 2004, 4:31 am
I got them both, dont worry :P, i just never provided a link since there wasnt a direct download. Also just download the mappack when its released. The maps I have there are unfinished. Some of them I didnt use such as GN and facing skulls and I found about 8 other maps such as stalker, bush, etc.

Elephant_Hunter
July 27, 2004, 5:46 am
The U13 Custom Map Pack

Recommended
ZIP (15 Megs)

.. OR .. For 56k

Really not Recommended
Bare Essentials Map Pack (2.6 Megs)

Both come with a PDF file that contains a list of everything that will be in rotation.

Kazuki
July 27, 2004, 1:03 pm
Aw, it's a .RAR file. =(

Elephant_Hunter
July 27, 2004, 4:11 pm
I added a ZIP equivalent. Oh, and Flies might consider adding that to the first post.

Kazuki
July 27, 2004, 4:43 pm
I'm at school right now so I can't test anything, but did you filter it out and everything? I mean... jesus... 15 megs. :P

Leo Da Lunerfox
July 27, 2004, 5:58 pm
Thats the Juicy pack, you can dl the normal, weak one for only 2.5mb....

Soulsnipa
July 27, 2004, 8:14 pm
The second one is all you will need for the rotation, the other one will just be for admins use.

FliesLikeABrick
July 27, 2004, 9:58 pm
i think everyone should download the big one if they can, they do nothing but benefit from it, plus it allows for the admins to change to a wider variety of maps, whereas the meager pack restricts gameplay to the rotation, which does prove boring after a given period of time.
-Brick

Soulsnipa
July 27, 2004, 11:01 pm
"does prove boring after a given period of time."

Maybe 20 years with this mappack rotation!

Leo Da Lunerfox
July 28, 2004, 11:52 pm
yeah those maps are great, but no one comes to the custom server to play those, they all come to play Co-op, and you know it.

BT WiLL
July 31, 2004, 9:14 am
[:D] Yeeeaaaaahhh....owwwkaay

Dathker
August 3, 2004, 3:15 am
this is what i think about these maps...

ctf_Spinal - By Higi----------------too large for 8 people
ctf_TownSoldat - By Coot------------never played
ctf_bedroom - By SoulSnipa----------straight out dumb(i can't beleive he wasted his time lol srry soul)
ctf_Confused - By SoulSnipa---------never played
ctf_ForestFront - By Coot---------never played
ctf_The lake 2.0 - By The Nerf---------never played
ctf_xwing - By SoulSnipa------------extremely stupid
ctf_Danger - By SoulSnipa-----------not bad decent game play
ctf_Arise - By SoulSnipa------------never played
ctf_catacomb - By Sp00ge---------never played
ctf_cave - By SoulSnipa---------never played
ctf_NoidForest - By The Noid---------must be dumb
ctf_besari - By SoulSnipa---------never played
ctf_Sunset - By NuZZ-------------pretty good
ctf_kamp2f - By The Nerf- dumb
The Pit - By Hacksaw------not bad
ctf_DeathHollow - By Mark.jp---------never played
ctf_Central - By The Nerf---------never played
ctf_Jarhos - By SoulSnipa---------never played
ctf_toxic - By NiNja Potato--------good... why is it ninja potato i thought it was skeptik
ctf_Clif Hanger - By Hacksaw-------nice
ctf_La2uN - By SoulSnipa---------never played
ctf_Lava land - By The Nerf---------never played
ctf_MarioCaves - By G2Kt---------never played
ctf_danger2 - By SoulSnipa-----danger one is betta
inf_ground defens - By Phoenix---------never played
ctf_the_True_fortress - By Icesnakex_and_donotkillm---------never playede
ctf_Nerf Caves - By The Nerf---------never played
ctf_TheHill2004 - By G2Kt---------never played
ctf_floppy - By Ritalout---------to small for 8 people
snipernoob - By .Iron.Maiden. -hf----------never played
Float - By Rob---------never played
Aceldama - By Suezzle---------never played
Mystic Realm - By Blizard_Dragon---------never played
ctf_FO SHIZZU - By VALUEMEAL---------never played
ctf_kamp3f - By The Nerf---------never played

tehehe

Soulsnipa
August 3, 2004, 5:21 am
Those aren't the maps in rotation noob!

Leo Da Lunerfox
August 3, 2004, 6:22 am
theres more maps then those on the server, you didn't get to the good ones....like Ctf_Berlin and Ctf_Junglestrike...:P