( search forums )
Direct X 8.2/3D driver support?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
Thalali
July 25, 2004, 3:57 am
Hi all, whenever I start up soldat, I get an error, it says that my drivers are out of date, I need direct X, and that my video card doesn't support 3d???!!

I've had this game before and it's never happend to me before...

I have the latest version of direct X and I have the latest drivers for my video card. Please help!!

FliesLikeABrick
July 25, 2004, 5:06 am
what video card do you have, and are you saying (inferred from the thread title) that you think Dx 8.2 is the latest? because 9.1 is the latest.
-Brick

N1nj@
July 25, 2004, 6:43 am
The lastest version of Direct X is 9.0b, make sure you got that version and not 8.2. Then tell us your video card so we can help you.

Thalali
July 25, 2004, 1:47 pm
I have Direct X 9.1, and my video card is an Nvidia Geforce 2 MX. The thing is, I used to play this game all the time, and now when I decide to reinstall it and play it again, it doesn't work.

N1nj@
July 25, 2004, 2:38 pm
Reinstalling shouldn't affect or create any conflict to the video card. Can you put the exact error message?

palloco
July 25, 2004, 4:03 pm
I dont know where do you guys live because neither dx 8.2 nor dx 9.1 exist. First learn to read and then tell us what directx version do you have.
If latest drivers dont work use older drivers.

morpheus
July 25, 2004, 5:21 pm
here's the download page of 9.0b / latest version

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=141D5F9E-07C1-462A-BAEF-5EAB5C851CF5&displaylang=en

Thalali
July 26, 2004, 12:04 am
I have the latest Direct X, I downloaded it yesterday, and it keeps giving me the same error. It shouldn't be a problem with my hardware, because I've played this game on this computer many times before.

here's what the errors say, word for word.

Error initializing 3D hardware. Your hardware does not support Direct X 8. Be sure to install the latest video drivers. Now software will be used...

And then it says-

Could not initialize direct X graphics. you must have installed direct x 8 or better. Try turning off extra options like antialiasing.

The thing is, I don't have any extra options enabled.

N1nj@
July 26, 2004, 1:14 am
Not too sure if this works but give it a try.

Go to config.exe, and try changing the bitrate to the other one. For example, if it is 16, change it to 32 or if it is 32, change it to 16.

Thalali
July 26, 2004, 2:34 am
nope, doesn't work... same problems and errors...

systemfeind
July 26, 2004, 7:28 am
yep because geforce(2?) cards doesnt support 32 bit mode i heard somewhere (only 16 or 24bit)

b00stA
July 26, 2004, 12:28 pm
quote:Originally posted by systemfeind
yep because geforce(2?) cards doesnt support 32 bit mode i heard somewhere (only 16 or 24bit)

Soldat runs well with a GeForce 2 Ti 64MB. Transparency, 32 bit etc. no problem.
but isn't MX the cheaper version? (correct me..)

Thalali
July 26, 2004, 12:41 pm
I have no clue, I just know that my hardware can support this game, as I played it no less than 6 months ago on my pc.

I got the game working, kinda. I have all the music and menu screens, but when I start a game the screen goes dark, I can fire my gun and fly, because I can hear the sounds they make.

b00stA
July 26, 2004, 12:55 pm
quote:Originally posted by Thalali
I have no clue, I just know that my hardware can support this game, as I played it no less than 6 months ago on my pc.

I got the game working, kinda. I have all the music and menu screens, but when I start a game the screen goes dark, I can fire my gun and fly, because I can hear the sounds they make.

That sounds familiar.. http://www.soldat.pl/faq.html
quote:
1. The game does not run! I get an error: cannot initialize 3d hardware, or something like that.

It's a hardware compatibility error:
- Make sure you have the latest DirectX drivers
- Try to run the game in window-mode
- Change the Windows desktop colors from 32-bit to 16-bit
- Try to change some Soldat Config settings (turn off Antialiasing, check 16-bit)
- Install the latest or different video drivers
- Try changing the windows desktop resolution and bit-rate
- Try turning down or up the graphics hardware acceleration (My Computer/Properties/Performance/Graphics)
- Try updating your motherboard drivers
- Check also this this topic on the forum - 3d initialization problem
- If you have Windows NT/2000 install the latest service pack
->
quote:6. I play the game and I don't see anything. I just hear the sounds.

Turn on the monitor.
If it still doesn't work, its a hardware compatibility error. The same as in question 1.

Thalali
July 26, 2004, 3:38 pm
Finally got it working! Had to change my graphic excelerator settings. Thanks for all your help guys.