( search forums )
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
bucky_brad
July 25, 2004, 7:19 pm
For all of you "hardcore PC gamers" you might want to check this game out if you havn't already.

Stalker home-page

I honestly think this game will stomp all over HL2, Doom 3 and any other upcoming game you can mention. It is A FPS/RPG in a fully non-linear 30square kilometer map. The AI is NOT scripted, for instance the "mutants" will go about thier business hunting, looking for shelter at night, fighting for land with other mutants and other such things pretty much randomly or when they need to. they AI is [:-censored]ing awsome in fights, they "feel" fear. Like if your fighting a mutant or another stalker if you are owning them they will run away or if they see you reloading or see your gun jam they will go for the kill, they also can go for the stealthy approch and ambush you.. They are basicly as close to human as you can get.

bullet penatration is another thing. You can shoot through wood and things but only if you have the right type of bullets. There is going to be around 40 different weapons with a heap of addons to most guns like scopes, nade launchers, mufflers and other whatnot.

there are different stalker clans you can join, or not depending on if you want to join a clan. And say if you join a clan or kill another member of a clan the rest of that clan will be after you. You can play the game nearly anyway you want.

Theres a heap of feature i missed but take a look at some of the videos on the news page and tell me what you think.

btw atm its 1 degree in perth and my hands are [:-censored]ing freezing off. Some one had better read all that typing =P

b00stA
July 25, 2004, 7:26 pm
reminds me of all those lionhead(-related) productions..

[:-censored] hyping, I'll play it and see for myself..

Subslider
July 25, 2004, 7:27 pm
wow lookin pretty neat..

but im thinkin that HL2 will do its job aswell just look at 1.. now 2 is gonna be so much better..

if valve now only would release it.. then i could stop doing that frikin cs,... *signs petition*

Hitman
July 25, 2004, 7:27 pm
*Opens window, takes off shirt and relaxes in the cool breeze after just coming back from the park*

Oh...sorry...are you cold? Shame :P

..From your description it sounds awesome. I'm downloading on the the Videos atm, I'll see what I think after I've watched it..

bucky_brad
July 25, 2004, 7:35 pm
yeh, it is pretty hyped up but like you said you really can only fully judge it once you have played it.
but from what I know you WONT be able to play it with your PC specs. (could be thinking of the wrong person)

oh and btw download the videos on the news page first. not the downloads page.

b00stA
July 25, 2004, 8:04 pm
quote:Originally posted by bucky_brad
yeh, it is pretty hyped up but like you said you really can only fully judge it once you have played it.
but from what I know you WONT be able to play it with your PC specs. (could be thinking of the wrong person)

oh and btw download the videos on the news page first. not the downloads page.

me? yeah, with my current system. I ordered new parts yesterday \o/

been reading the FAQ page and it absolutely resembles the ideas behind B&W, Ego, etc.

bucky_brad
July 25, 2004, 8:13 pm
ooooo, new parts eh? what are you getting?

anywayz Ego? never heard of that but if B&W is black and white... wtf are you talking about Black and white is a strat game. unless the new one is different... meh, there are actually a couple of FPS that are kinda like stalker coming out but its only stalker that really pops out for me.

b00stA
July 25, 2004, 8:43 pm
B&W = Black&White.
the main concept was that you're god and can do whatever you want. A rather linear story line, but you could "solve" quests by doing whatever you want. Someone's brother is dying and only you can rescue him. Kill him? her? Both? Rescue?

I'm getting a P4 2.8ghz with HT and FSB800, supporting mainboard (asrock), 512MB DDR (first), Samsung 120GB SATA/150..

bucky_brad
July 25, 2004, 8:50 pm
oh ok, yeh I see what you mean =P.

nice specs, you gonna get a new GFX card? or you already got a good one?
oh yeah and how much ram you got cause it might be worth getting even more while your buying. So cheap now days ^_^.

b00stA
July 25, 2004, 8:55 pm
RAM: 512MB DDR 400 by TwinMos.. that'll change some time later. I use Win2k so the RAM should be fine.
right now I have a GeForce 2 Ti.. I might simply upgrade that to a GeForce3 for Doom3 (the system specs are out..)
and RAM isn't that cheap over here -.-

bucky_brad
July 25, 2004, 9:09 pm
lol geforce 3, i doubt you could find one they are that old. Go get a geforce 4 second hand or somthing. You should buy online, its normally cheaper if you know the right places.

and btw if you know how to use an online exchange program I would be happy to sell you my Geforce 4 Ti, for 60$(Australian) and shipping costs once I get my new card, hopfully will be before saturday.

b00stA
July 25, 2004, 9:37 pm
quote:Originally posted by bucky_brad
lol geforce 3, i doubt you could find one they are that old. Go get a geforce 4 second hand or somthing. You should buy online, its normally cheaper if you know the right places.

and btw if you know how to use an online exchange program I would be happy to sell you my Geforce 4 Ti, for 60$(Australian) and shipping costs once I get my new card, hopfully will be before saturday.

uh, I guess I'm still behind all the new stuff out there. I simply don't know what kinda video cards there are, the top-stuff, the prices etc.

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/07/20/141236&tid=112
quote:The Houston Chronicle's Computing column has got the Doom 3 minimum system requirements. Biggest eye-opener: 384 MB of memory. Lots of mainstream PCs have been sold with 256 MB of RAM, so upgrades will be in order. RAM chip manufacturers should be salivating about now. You'll also need a 1.5-GHz processor and a GeForce 3 or Radeon 8500 graphics card or better.
a system running Doom 3 the way it's intended to be by ID.. and, uh, Soldat :)

(chat time on the forums :|)

bucky_brad
July 25, 2004, 9:39 pm
meh, I'm keeping my topic alive until some else gets interested in stalker.

Cookie.
July 25, 2004, 11:32 pm
that game looks really cool :) is the black and white game any good,, ive always wanted to try it

hey b00sta i just got intel pentium 4 2.8ghz with hyperthreading and fsb 800 too :) its pretty good

b00stA
July 25, 2004, 11:46 pm
quote:Originally posted by Cookie.
that game looks really cool :) is the black and white game any good,, ive always wanted to try it
Well, I founded a B&W clan back in 2000 (13.08.2000 in history class, yes) before the game was released. I met a LOT of people in that time, a few of them have become extremely close friends. So after several release date delays the game was released. I had fun for 2 weeks single-player, multiplayer wasn't fun, buggy. Clan had 2 clanwars, game somehow forgotten and I still know my friends.
ERR, sorry. It's a great game, as long as you don't expect that much. Picking up people and throwing them down a mountain, teaching your creature (monkey, tiger, cow) casting spells (fireballs :) is fun as hell. Try it, it's only 10 euros over here.

quote:
hey b00sta i just got intel pentium 4 2.8ghz with hyperthreading and fsb 800 too :) its pretty good

How well does it run single processes with hyperthreading on? :)

grand_diablo
July 26, 2004, 2:57 am
Im quite sure Stalker will be a great game, although handling might be nasty sometimes (according to PReviews). Lets see if the GSC Gameworld corrects that.

About graphics cards:
A Geforce 4 might be enough for games like Morrowind or similar. But forget about playing Stalker or Doom3 with it. Even newly released games must be switched to lower resolution and effects to be playable. For Stalker & Co, you will certainly need at least a Geforce FX 5xxx / Radeon 9600 / Radeon 9800 (i recommend FX 5700 or Radeon 9800 XT as pricely valuable). Also some good Geforce FX 6xxx models should be available at a fair price when christmas comes near.

so there are 3 choices:
- buy a GFFX5x / Radeon 9600 / Radeon 9800 XT now for a good price
- buy a GFFX6x / upcoming new Radeon card in december, when there should be fair offers
- if you have too much money, buy a GFFX6x now.

BManx2000
July 26, 2004, 3:20 am
Bah, if game developers stopped encrusting video games with so much useless crap, we wouldn't need to upgrade our computers every 2 weeks to play the latest games (not that I do upgrade :P). I mean, who really cares if the game has Advanced Vertex Lighting Computation Vector Rendering :P

grand_diablo
July 26, 2004, 3:46 am
aye, but the hardware industry wants to live, and if they all would be thinking like this, we would still play games on monochrome monitors ^^

I upgrade my graca bout every 2 years, so it aint that expensive (i also look out for fair prices).

@b00stA: Kauf dir ma die neue GameStar, da isn grosser Bericht über Grafikkarten drin, auch welche grad preislich gut sind. gibt ein paar nette Kandidaten. Wenn dein Prozessor auch einigermassen gut is (2 GhZ aufwärts) lohnt sich das entweder jetzt, oder zu Weihnachten bei der Schnäppchenjagd. Ausserdem hat dann wieder nen Überblick [;)] -- (sry4german, but im too tired to translate that now)

N1nj@
July 26, 2004, 4:00 am
thought it was english only, moderator breaking the rules =P

AerialAssault
July 26, 2004, 5:06 am
im definitely gonna check this out. according to the developers, youd only need a geforce 2 to maintain a playable framerate. the x-ray engine is supposed to be very forgiving to older cards, but i would guess youd need at least 512 of ram, and dont expect to go over 1024x768, unless youve got the abosolute top of the line hardware

b00stA
July 26, 2004, 12:47 pm
quote:Originally posted by grand_diablo
About graphics cards:
A Geforce 4 might be enough for games like Morrowind or similar. But forget about playing Stalker or Doom3 with it.
quote:Originally posted by b00stA
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/07/20/141236&tid=112
quote:The Houston Chronicle's Computing column has got the Doom 3 minimum system requirements. Biggest eye-opener: 384 MB of memory. Lots of mainstream PCs have been sold with 256 MB of RAM, so upgrades will be in order. RAM chip manufacturers should be salivating about now. You'll also need a 1.5-GHz processor and a GeForce 3 or Radeon 8500 graphics card or better.

and:
quote:As of this afternoon we were playing DOOM 3 on a 1.5GHz Pentium 4 box with a GeForce 4 MX440 video card and having a surprisingly good gaming experience. Even a subtle jump to an AMD 2500+ with a GeForce 3 video card that is two years old will deliver a solid gaming experience that will let you enjoy the game the way id Software designed it to be.
quote:Originally posted by grand_diablo
@b00stA: Kauf dir ma die neue GameStar, da isn grosser Bericht über Grafikkarten drin, auch welche grad preislich gut sind. gibt ein paar nette Kandidaten. Wenn dein Prozessor auch einigermassen gut is (2 GhZ aufwärts) lohnt sich das entweder jetzt, oder zu Weihnachten bei der Schnäppchenjagd. Ausserdem hat dann wieder nen Überblick [;)] -- (sry4german, but im too tired to translate that now)

Thanks, but I dislike gaming magazines.. even c't and alike are becoming worse.

(yes, I like quoting :)

DeMonIc
July 26, 2004, 12:57 pm
I'll stick with my Snes emulator games, soldat, and precious master of orion 2.
When I'll be playin stalker, u will be arguing about the best tactics against Quake 6-s boss.

Tha Doggfather
July 26, 2004, 1:47 pm
boosta, heres a thread i found on doom 3 and hardware requirements.

http://boards.ign.com/Doom_3/b5646/62691286/p1

dont read the first couple of pages though, they are outdated.

personally i have a really bad PC and dont have the money to upgrade every year or so for the games that come out and that i want to play. so thats why i got an XBOX. i like console gaming better, you can relax in your chair, play with friends, on a big screen TV. i also have a good home cinema system now, and the xbox supports 5.1 dolby digital sound in all its games.
no questions like "will my system be able to run it smoothly"? or patches you have to download.

im getting doom 3 on xbox. sure theres a couple of downsides to it. ill have to wait untill octobre to play it, the graphics wont be as good as on a top-PC (although they are NEARLY as good, i saw footage from the game both on xbox and PC), and of course you dont have the mouse-keyboard control. but im happy to take that all with it, im sure ill enjoy that game very much.

b00stA
July 26, 2004, 2:23 pm
quote:Originally posted by Tha Doggfather

Thanks, but I won't upgrade my graphic card for now.
personally i have a really bad PC and dont have the money to upgrade every year or so for the games that come out and that i want to play. so thats why i got an XBOX. i like console gaming better, you can relax in your chair, play with friends, on a big screen TV. i also have a good home cinema system now, and the xbox supports 5.1 dolby digital sound in all its games.
no questions like "will my system be able to run it smoothly"? or patches you have to download.

im getting doom 3 on xbox. sure theres a couple of downsides to it. ill have to wait untill octobre to play it, the graphics wont be as good as on a top-PC (although they are NEARLY as good, i saw footage from the game both on xbox and PC), and of course you dont have the mouse-keyboard control. but im happy to take that all with it, im sure ill enjoy that game very much.

I downloaded a 20 minutes TV show called "icons: Doom".. the guys from ID said the Xbox luckily supports all the major stuff that makes Doom special (the lighting, bump mapping..) so it will be very similiar.

Tha Doggfather
July 27, 2004, 12:35 am
yup, seen the movie too. nice comparision between doom 1, 2 and the new version.

AerialAssault
July 27, 2004, 4:08 am

dont forget no mods, no online community, patches fix bugs my friend, there will be no fixes for the xbox. the xbox also is like a PC that you cant upgrade, games on consoles dont always get good framerates, Halo only would get 30 FPS on xbox, i run it on my computer and i get about 70 FPS.

bucky_brad
July 27, 2004, 7:21 am
I just upgraded to a 9600xt and got anther 512 of DDR! cost me 566$
I would have gone for a 9800pro but atm I dont have the money(well I do but I needed the ram) and I wanted the upgrade done by saturday for a lan I am going to.
Hopfully I will be able to run stalker/doom3/halflife2 fairly well now.

Tha Doggfather
July 27, 2004, 11:53 am
quote:Originally posted by AerialAssault

dont forget no mods, no online community, patches fix bugs my friend, there will be no fixes for the xbox. the xbox also is like a PC that you cant upgrade, games on consoles dont always get good framerates, Halo only would get 30 FPS on xbox, i run it on my computer and i get about 70 FPS.

* you can use xbox live if you want to patch a bug

* no online community? xbox live - there are plenty of communities for great games.

* stop the FPS whining, please , i dont even notice the difference between 30 and 70 FPS, i couldnt care less if my PC ran the same game at 1000 FPS.