( search forums )
PHP GD library
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
FliesLikeABrick
July 30, 2004, 2:01 am
is anyone in here familiar with the PHP GD library, more specifically its installation on a windows server?
I want to do something like this for my stats website so that players can link to it and have their stats show up in their sig, or wherever they want them. Unfortunately i need help finding out where to get it and how to install it.
[IMAGE]

styx did it with ASP, i wanna do something similar with PHP.
Help?
-Brick

n00bface
July 30, 2004, 3:33 am
errrr, i've done this before :/ about 2 years ago..assuming it's all that crap with gdlibs and image making and..whatever :| if you see me in irc you can ask again, i'll try and figure out what i did >.<

morpheus
July 30, 2004, 3:40 am
you can get the gd library at http://www.boutell.com/gd/

it's been a while since i've installed it, but if i'm remembering correctly, this should work.

open php.ini and look under "dynamic extensions", you should see something like extension_dir = c:/php/includes. either add or uncomment the line extension=php_gd.dll and drop the php_gd.dll into the c:/php/includes folder.

it should run fine from there.

edit:

i just downloaded the newest version. seems it's a bit different from the last version i installed. there's a readme and install file that help though.

b00stA
July 30, 2004, 12:04 pm
have a look at my sig, it was done with the GD library.
it was already installed on the server it's running on, but afaik you can either compile the PHP engine with the GD library (linux), add some parameters in php.ini or include the DLL via the PHP source.
FliesLikeABrick, does your server run Windows or Linux?
from my PHP book.. either edit PHP.ini
extension=php_gd.dll

or include it for the specific PHP file:
[code][/code]
but afaik the packages from the page morpheus told you don't have any windows+PHP support (no DLLs).
You will probably have to use an older version (with no GIF (licenses)) or a really old version with GIF support.
err, assuming you're using windows.

FliesLikeABrick
July 30, 2004, 3:43 pm
In my original post, I did mention windows. I tried using a really old DLL with GIF support, but it is not compatible with any of the newer versions of PHP. I have 4.3.6 and i think the version of the dll I had was intended for 4.2.X or something even older (4.0.X). Does php 5 have GD included in it? because if it does i won't have a problem just installing php5 and uncommenting the line in php.ini.

-Brick

(b00sta, hit me up on AIM or MSN, Xalion said I should talk to you about the other stats thing Snor and I are doing to get your opnion, Xalion said that you and himself had conversed about that idea a while ago)

b00stA
July 30, 2004, 5:13 pm
quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrick
In my original post, I did mention windows. I tried using a really old DLL with GIF support, but it is not compatible with any of the newer versions of PHP. I have 4.3.6 and i think the version of the dll I had was intended for 4.2.X or something even older (4.0.X). Does php 5 have GD included in it? because if it does i won't have a problem just installing php5 and uncommenting the line in php.ini.

-Brick

(b00sta, hit me up on AIM or MSN, Xalion said I should talk to you about the other stats thing Snor and I are doing to get your opnion, Xalion said that you and himself had conversed about that idea a while ago)

can't help you there. I tried to get some binaries/DLLs to install on my local apache, but then I just tested everything online :|

Drama
July 30, 2004, 5:54 pm
well i managed to install.

It was quite time ago, i just got some dll and uncommented some line going like this from php.ini:
';Extension Gd library blalalalbaalaba'

btw, piece of cake

FliesLikeABrick
July 30, 2004, 6:45 pm
yeah, but unfortunately only the older versions of PHP include the GD library, then the newer ones dont and cannot be easily patched for it, and then [i think] PHP5 has it included, which is what i plan to install on the server when i get a chance.
-Brick