( search forums )
how to format
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
sativa
August 2, 2004, 6:15 pm
can somoene tell me how to format my computer in dos, and how to install windows again, i have some heavy virus that is new and not known yet to norton and stuff, it blocks every kind of virusscan, also online virusscan, i do not know what to do but format but i do not know how please help me

grand_diablo
August 2, 2004, 6:31 pm
reboot you pc and press f8 while it shows your hardware config. then you should be able to choose the command line mode (dunno what its called in english, in german its "Eingabeaufforderung").

there type "format c:" and press enter

confirm the question, and voila, your harddisk gets cleared from everything on it. after formatting, reboot again, insert the windows cd-rom, access your bios just after rebooting and make sure it checks your cd-rom drive for booting information. save the settings and wait for your pc to check the cd-rom, it will boot up with the windows installation menu then, and here you go and reinstall windows.

palloco
August 2, 2004, 8:33 pm
If you dont have a bootable cd, what GD said but typing "format c: /s" which will create boot system.
(After f8 load just system symbol)

Deleted User
August 2, 2004, 9:00 pm
Pwned.

NightCabbage
August 3, 2004, 1:48 am
But then if your computer isn't too old, you probably shouldn't be running anything less than winXP, which is bootable from the CD, and has full partition/format functions built in to the installer.

sativa
August 3, 2004, 9:11 am
i have a pentium 3 64mb ram and 600 mhz, i think i'm gonna let someone else do it cause they told me that it is possible after format that you will not be able to reinstal windows anymore

systemfeind
August 3, 2004, 9:19 am
thats a bad rumor. sure u can install windows again how many times you like

Weed
August 3, 2004, 9:38 am
yes, last time i formated, i entered the BIOS thingo, did "boot from d:" (my cd thingo) and inserted the windows disc, then it did it automaticly and shiet.

Drama
August 4, 2004, 1:00 am
im gonna format GERONIMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hope me gl

see you soon, i hope

systemfeind
August 4, 2004, 7:42 am
no answer yet ;D

Unlucky 13
August 4, 2004, 9:32 am
lol, nope, i dont think we'll see him again...'
*sniffs* ill miss him
*sobers* accually, havent seen him much forum-wise, lol

Deleted User
August 4, 2004, 1:42 pm
Sativa: "tell em that that is with windows xp, i have windows millenium, it works differently, so i need full help with itn and even a friend of mine who is sort of an amater expert on these things doesnt dare to format my computer"

He can't reply himself. :( So if you can help tell reply here and i'll tell him what to do.

Drama
August 4, 2004, 3:45 pm
i havent formated yet because i havent found my windows cd

blackdevil0742
August 4, 2004, 3:57 pm
I've formated my computer 12 times

damnnation
August 4, 2004, 4:57 pm
i have formatted it 5 times but my dad dus it he works everyday whit comp. so he knows allot of it [:)]

palloco
August 5, 2004, 7:03 pm
P3 and 64 MB RAM!!!
Hah, forget win XP and install win98SE or you will be living a bad XPerience

Deleted User
August 5, 2004, 8:38 pm
I always use a recovery disc that came with my computer. So i can format my computer in 15 minutes all automatically. Oh the joy.

NightCabbage
August 6, 2004, 4:15 am
ewwww, I hate old computers :P

And macs.

*shudders*

palloco
August 6, 2004, 6:05 pm
Then give me your computer when you get a new fireGL X3 so you dont hate my computer.

Hitman
August 6, 2004, 7:02 pm
quote:And macs.Bah!

BManx2000
August 6, 2004, 7:12 pm
I say bah to you, sir!

Anyway, I was going to say that you should have a boot disk before you format, but it looks like I'm too late :P

Deleted User
August 6, 2004, 8:12 pm
No. He didn't try to format.