( search forums )
doom3
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
bucky_brad
August 3, 2004, 2:44 am
doom3 is out, once the [:-censored] head couier gets to my gaming store of choice.
so now the question is, once i get my dirty little hands on it do i rip open the box, jam the cd in my drive install it, crank up my speakers and play OR do i savour the moment install it, wait until 1:00am and play it in pitch black.

Also what does everyone think about the mutiplayer only being 4 player. At first i though CRAP but then when you think about it, it means smaller levels (just as much action), less lag, easyer organised games, less work for the makers so they can focus on quality instead of quantity and most likly someone will make a mod for more players.

also remeber how fun 4player golden-eye was.

edit: ok i am holding it in my hands right now... *jams CD into CD-drive*

Cookie.
August 3, 2004, 3:43 am
im gona get doom 3 :P but first i need more ram and more harddrive space and the game lol
play it at 1:00am and make it nice and spooky just going around the corners and having a big monster pop out is great lol

AerialAssault
August 3, 2004, 3:45 am
AHHH!!!

NightCabbage
August 3, 2004, 5:17 am
hm, wonder if it's gonna be any good...

outdated engine, same-old gameplay, etc.

but hell, im looking forward to playing round with it :)

someone write a review for us :P

bucky_brad
August 3, 2004, 6:04 am
omfg, it is so god dam scarey. there is no shame in you [:-censored]ing your pants while playing this. holy crap it is scarey. lol i been playing for like 30 mins and im all tense and [:-censored]. the graphics are great so far, the atmostfear is [:-censored]ing insane and the game play seems pretty good but i will need to play a bit more to get into it properly... [:-censored]ing hell its scarey.

JayBDey
August 3, 2004, 6:50 am
I have had it for nine days already. Snagged it from a friends FTP.

frogboy
August 3, 2004, 6:55 am
I'm 400MHz off. :(

Captain RibMan
August 3, 2004, 7:05 am
im getting it soon looks good tho

Hektik Sniper
August 3, 2004, 7:08 am
had it for a couple of days, a damned fine game but a hell of a system hogger. Scary as hell though.

deejii
August 3, 2004, 7:11 am
quote:Originally posted by JayBDey
I have had it for nine days already. Snagged it from a friends FTP.
2004-08-01 Doom 3 (c) ID Software / it was just released two days ago..

systemfeind
August 3, 2004, 7:27 am
many stores sold that game before the release date =)

JayBDey
August 3, 2004, 7:40 am
Release groups can get games out before they are released you know. Hell, FarCry was available a week and a half before launch.

Hektik Sniper
August 3, 2004, 8:01 am
couple of screenshots for the people dying for the game:

[IMAGE]

[IMAGE]

systemfeind
August 3, 2004, 8:04 am
sure i know but i didnt want to post something about warez etc. like u did =)

but in this case the main reason were the pre-sellers not the release groups.

deejii
August 3, 2004, 8:11 am
quote:Originally posted by JayBDey
Release groups can get games out before they are released you know. Hell, FarCry was available a week and a half before launch.
that was release group release, anyway blalab

JayBDey
August 3, 2004, 8:23 am
So we're not even allowed to mention "WaReZ"? Does even the mention of warez aid in it's distribution? I think the rules are that you can't talk about how to GET games illegally, and besides the word "FTP" no one is any closer to finding a copy of D3 to download after reading my post.

Yeah, the game does look sweet. What kind of system are you running Hektik Sniper? Or did you get those screens from the net?

systemfeind
August 3, 2004, 8:48 am
i didnt told u the forum rules. i just didnt want to mention it for my own reasons =D alright?

that fuking sniper
August 3, 2004, 9:03 am
"I smell fear!"

Damn I love that part...

JayBDey
August 3, 2004, 9:04 am
You aren't trying to be a karma whore are you? :p j/k

systemfeind
August 3, 2004, 9:20 am
btw i like your avatar ;D

Hektik Sniper
August 3, 2004, 9:21 am
1.8 ghz, 256mb ram GeForce FX5200. Running the game on 640x480 on medium detail with the advanced features enabled. That gives me about 15 FPS so i tend to turn the advanced features off and just play in low for maximum enjoyment ;)

systemfeind
August 3, 2004, 9:43 am
i hope my amd xp 3200+, 520mb ddr 400mhz corsair cl2, ati x800pro will pwn that game

DeMonIc
August 3, 2004, 10:08 am
NOooooo!
My computer is teh crap and i won't enjoy doom3....

ThaD
August 3, 2004, 10:18 am
i know my duron 650, 192 sdram, riva tnt pro will pwn that game, meh

damnnation
August 3, 2004, 10:32 am
man i really want that game but my pc can never run it and i don't have an x-boc :(:(:(

Tha Doggfather
August 3, 2004, 1:22 pm
quote:Originally posted by damnnation
man i really want that game but my pc can never run it and i don't have an x-boc :(:(:(

just buy an xbox then, you can get one including 2 controllers and a couple of games for under 200 euro.

the xbox version of doom 3 doesnt come out untill somewhere in october though :/

b00stA
August 3, 2004, 2:07 pm
quote:Originally posted by bucky_brad
Also what does everyone think about the mutiplayer only being 4 player. At first i though CRAP but then when you think about it, it means smaller levels (just as much action), less lag, easyer organised games, less work for the makers so they can focus on quality instead of quantity and most likly someone will make a mod for more players.
Ummm, even the 4 player MP requires a damn broadband connection ,_, but sneaking up or finding people that hide behind crates by seeing their shadow just isn't possible in a 12 people frag fest. We'll see..
quote:Originally posted by NightCabbage
hm, wonder if it's gonna be any good...

outdated engine, same-old gameplay, etc.

but hell, im looking forward to playing round with it :)

someone write a review for us :P

errr Cabby, if it's any good? It's [:-censored]ing scary! even with 640*480 res.. played it yesterday night at 2am.. whoa :)
The engine isn't outdated.. or did you see all the bump mapping and completely dynamic lights/shadows in Quake 3?
I'll see if I can crank up the frame rate now..
oh and checking the room with your flash lights is scary.. you hear something crawling above you, you look up, you hear steps and moaning.. hmm

Hektik Sniper
August 3, 2004, 2:10 pm
man this thing looks so nice, i cant resist posting some more pics.
Settings: medium settings, 800x600, all advanced features and no AA, and it still looks fecking leet.
WARNING, Image Heavy
mmmmm zombie
[IMAGE]

mmmmm stairs
[IMAGE]

mmmmm soon to be dead guy
[IMAGE]

mmmmm theres something biting my arm off
[IMAGE]

mmmmm fire
[IMAGE]

and finally,
[IMAGE]

Just LOOK at the blurring effect on the glass, thats [:-censored]ing amazing

edit -

How to make my pc melt: Sweeeeeeeet textures

[IMAGE]

damnnation
August 3, 2004, 4:41 pm
quote:Originally posted by Tha Doggfather
quote:Originally posted by damnnation

just buy an xbox then, you can get one including 2 controllers and a couple of games for under 200 euro.

the xbox version of doom 3 doesnt come out untill somewhere in october though :/

but my parets won't let me buy one :( i hate them

Cookie.
August 3, 2004, 9:58 pm
once i buy more ram im gona get it and play with 4x aa >: D

?
August 3, 2004, 11:10 pm
I didn't know doom3 was coming out until about a week ago.... i might get it next year or something....

b00stA
August 4, 2004, 12:38 am
Woah.. I was just playing and there was one of the many many dead bodies lying on the ground. Now this one was kinda special. I look closer and what happens? It kinda jumps up and you hear some diabolical laughter. The body falls down again and that's it.
Next room.

..fun :)

DeafBox
August 4, 2004, 12:44 am
i remember playing the alpha like ageeeeeeees ago. It was aiight, i shall have to checkzor it outzor XD

Cookie.
August 4, 2004, 4:30 am
if you having a bit of lag or something i heard that this has helped some people http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topic.asp?fid=5733&tid=1438663

Camping_Carl2
August 4, 2004, 6:11 am
either update your computer or buy an xbox for 150 and the game for 50.... it would be cheaper to buy an xbox and the game but you will have to wait longer.. and the graphics are going to be a little bit down. Some people are wanting it just for gameplay and hey thats what matters..

To tell you the truth im kinda burnt out on first person shooters.. they seem lame and id software sold out to Activision i belive? thats the reason its going to the xbox.. oh well

i might get the game someday but not when it first comes out.. im looking forward to half life 2 alot more.....

and the new zelda game

SuperKill
August 4, 2004, 12:19 pm
holy [:-censored] anyone got to the hell part yet ?

b00stA
August 4, 2004, 1:28 pm
quote:Originally posted by Cookie.
if you having a bit of lag or something i heard that this has helped some people http://www.forumplanet.com/planetdoom/topic.asp?fid=5733&tid=1438663

thanks, I'll try it
quote:Originally posted by SuperKill
holy [:-censored] anyone got to the hell part yet ?

nope, the cheat listed on some pages doesn't work.
I can put up some screenies when I get there (unless someone else is faster)

Hektik Sniper
August 4, 2004, 5:49 pm
Theres another new tweak, ill paste it from the doom forums, and this is amazing. I can play with a constant 30 fps in 640x480 on high graphics with all advanced on.

There is a catch! By doing this, you temporarily can't connect to pure multiplayer servers. You have been warned (I'll tell you how to revert it at the end)

After installation, the Doom III Folder consists only of the doom3.exe and some .PK4 files. Those PK4 files includes the entire game (sounds, videos, textures etc.) compressed. They are normally uncompressed in mid game, which is very hard on your CPU. Lets fix this!

1. Make a copy of ALL the files in C:\Program Files\Doom 3\base. This is some big filage, but if you want to revert to MP without reinstalling you need to do it.

2. Unrar the following .pk4 files (just pretend they are .rar's and open them with winrar) into the C:\Program Files\Doom 3\base folder (each one should unrar a single folder such as textures or models):

pak000.pk4
pak001.pk4
pak002.pk4
pak003.pk4
pak004.pk4 (This one has many files, put them all in \Base and over right any that apply.

3. Now delete the files above (pak000-004) or move them to another folder for storage so you can revert to multiplayer.

When you want to revert to multiplayer, restore everything you had before and get rid of the new stuff. I'm not sure if the folder "maps" is the same or not, so make sure you back that up.

When in normal mode, you should have "maps" "savegames" "config.spec" "doomConfig.cfg" "doomkey" "game00.pk4" and "gamex86.dll", nothing else.
ALSO! If you open DoomConfig.cfg (C:\programfiles\doom3\base) in notepad and change

seta image_cacheMegs "32"

to a higher number, such as 96 or 128 you will see a big increase too.

SigHunter
August 4, 2004, 6:32 pm
the game realy sucks :/
my specs:
1 gb ram
radeon 9800 pro
3 ghz intel

works nearly perfect but
doesnt make any fun, i dont like these games
graphic isnt realy good on lower resolutions, just on 1280
it is nearly acceptable

maybe the multiplayer is funnier ;/
-> deleting

b00stA
August 4, 2004, 6:44 pm
quote:Originally posted by SigHunter
the game realy sucks :/
my specs:
1 gb ram
radeon 9800 pro
3 ghz intel

works nearly perfect but
doesnt make any fun, i dont like these games
graphic isnt realy good on lower resolutions, just on 1280
it is nearly acceptable

maybe the multiplayer is funnier ;/
-> deleting

omfg.

Hektik Sniper
August 4, 2004, 6:47 pm
wow he is SUCH an idiot.

Hitman
August 4, 2004, 7:11 pm
Like TOTALLY!

damnnation
August 4, 2004, 7:28 pm
doom is the best game on earth but that's youre opinion if you don't like it and i'm begging my parent of letting me bey an x-box so... and i can wait looong for this game :p

SuperKill
August 4, 2004, 10:07 pm
b00sta you goddamn cheating n00b :P

Cookie.
August 4, 2004, 10:37 pm
"ALSO! If you open DoomConfig.cfg (C:\programfiles\doom3\base) in notepad and change

seta image_cacheMegs "32"

to a higher number, such as 96 or 128 you will see a big increase too."

Is what i said -_-

Hova
August 5, 2004, 5:03 am
I'm sorry guys, but I don't like this game as well.

If you want, I'll post my reasons later.

Dathker
August 5, 2004, 5:08 am
omg.....i spent alot of time getting it yesterday and the day before...
and then i find... my [:-censored]ing computer can't support it OMG!!!!

lol its needs some 17bla blah of mb of space and 384 ram and p 4 processer omg!!!! and i only have like... 200 gb of space left and 256 of ram and a p3 .. i was like ARE YOU SERIOUS!!
omg!

systemfeind
August 5, 2004, 7:25 am
lol read the requirements before buying (leeching?)

rofl. i played it yesterday and the graphics werent so good than i hoped but its freakin scary. me and my bro had much fun with the shockings :)

NightCabbage
August 5, 2004, 7:43 am
Well hopefully it'll be cool :)

I need a new scarey game... AVP is too old now ;)

Wonder it it will run @ 1024x768 on my 9800pro, or will it be the first game not to!

Maybe almost time for an upgrade...

Man, anyone seen the next-gen Unreal 3 engine? Sweetness. Muchly.

Deleted User
August 5, 2004, 2:40 pm
Avp is never too old.

Hektik Sniper
August 5, 2004, 3:04 pm
people are working on a conversion of the marine campaign for doom, that could be damned cool.

palloco
August 5, 2004, 6:59 pm
Bleh, many people talking about doom3 as if were better than soldat.

SigHunter
August 5, 2004, 7:10 pm
it definitly isnt -.-

NightCabbage
August 6, 2004, 4:13 am
quote:Originally posted by Ville Mk.2
Avp is never too old.

*agrees*

I was only playing it a couple of nights ago :P

bahahahhahaha

But it would be nice to have a new shiny one :)

SigHunter
August 7, 2004, 3:07 pm
hova tell us why

Yin_Starrunner
August 7, 2004, 3:44 pm
ya avp 3 (is that the next one? im pretty sure) should be about due. I'm surprised they're not coming out with an avp movie game, but would it be avp 3 if there was one? im confusing myself.

Alamo
August 7, 2004, 4:57 pm
Doom was, is and will always be one of the best shooters ever!

FliesLikeABrick
August 7, 2004, 5:25 pm
i tried the beta but it wont work on my f'n video card (nvidia gf4 mx440)
-Brick

frogboy
August 7, 2004, 5:33 pm
Erm... the system requirements state GeForce 3 or better... you SHOULD be able to run it, FLAB.

b00stA
August 7, 2004, 6:07 pm
..it even runs on my GeForce 2 Ti 64mb :o

FliesLikeABrick
August 7, 2004, 6:51 pm
yeah but in the install for the beta it says it has problems with the latest drivers, so i installed the old ones it reccommended. Maybe this is just an issue in the beta release that i have :-/
-Brick

palloco
August 7, 2004, 10:03 pm
and doom is just a wolfenstein wannabe

Cookie.
August 8, 2004, 12:55 am
brick my card is too new for the beta lol the old drivers dont work for me either i just have another question i have 256 ddr 400mhz ram do you think it will run or do i need to make the jump to 512 for it to work?

SigHunter
August 8, 2004, 10:31 am
u cant tell me the game is playable under a 128 mb graphics card....

the graphic of the game looks halflife like on a resolution under 1152x8XX

And even mentioned the [:-censored]ed up multiplayer?

Max Players 4 on Multiplayer....

Deleted User
August 8, 2004, 10:48 am
Sighunter has never played goldeneyes 4 player multiplayer. :( What a Lol.

Hektik Sniper
August 8, 2004, 11:38 am
Well, if you look carefully the limit for multiplayer can be increased to 16 people, and there is a mod to allow 32 people. :o

And how does this look ANYTHING like half life:

[IMAGE]
Thats from low detail with bump maps on.

b00stA
August 8, 2004, 12:04 pm
quote:Originally posted by Cookie.
brick my card is too new for the beta lol the old drivers dont work for me either i just have another question i have 256 ddr 400mhz ram do you think it will run or do i need to make the jump to 512 for it to work?

although the official sys reqs are 384MB, a friend of mine got it running well with 256MB.

u cant tell me the game is playable under a 128 mb graphics card....
If you define "playable" as "scare the [:-censored] out of you", then, yes, it is playable.
the graphic of the game looks halflife like on a resolution under 1152x8XX
What the hell kinda comparison is that?
Resolution is not everything. A game with 640*480 can look better than another game with 1280*960.
And even mentioned the [:-censored]ed up multiplayer?
See Ville's reply.

SigHunter
August 8, 2004, 12:09 pm
but doom doesnt,
look at the hand and the flashlight, just pixels everywhere,
the only thing that looks good/new and different than other games is the structure of the mapping, more 3d and more corners smoothed like this:
[code]
___
/
|
|
[/code]
because everything is smoothed like this

b00stA
August 8, 2004, 12:11 pm
but doom doesnt,
the only thing that looks good/new and different than other games is the structure of the mapping, more 3d and more corners smoothed like this:
[code]
___
/
|
|
[/code]

[:-banghead]

yet another classic.

Element_101
August 8, 2004, 1:01 pm
Man I gotta try this game!

Doom 1 and 2 were cool. We two comps that should be able to run it but 4 player multiplayer is a bit limited while im sure it will still rock 4 players can only go so far...

Deleted User
August 8, 2004, 1:25 pm
quote:Originally posted by b00stA
but doom doesnt,
[code]
___
/
|
|
[/code]

[:-banghead]

yet another classic.

Lmao. OMG PIXELS THIS GAME MUST SUCK!!11!!11one

Hektik Sniper
August 8, 2004, 1:54 pm
quote:Originally posted by Hektik Sniper
Well, if you look carefully the limit for multiplayer can be increased to 16 people, and there is a mod to allow 32 people. :o

why do people ignore what i post ¬_¬

palloco
August 8, 2004, 2:52 pm
Doom 0.4 alpha is probably the best one

Cookie.
August 8, 2004, 5:36 pm
hes not using antialiasing or something thats why = chunky graphics lol

thx b00sta ill try it on 256 mb ram ^_^

SigHunter
August 8, 2004, 10:01 pm
omg antialiassing -> -30 fps

play your [:-censored]in game, i dont care if u are stupid like that

Deleted User
August 8, 2004, 10:21 pm
I think its you who is being stupid. If you hate the game so much then don't post at all.

Tha Doggfather
August 9, 2004, 11:32 pm
call shaded mod for doom 3:

http://www.total3d.com/news/headlines/EpAkpVZuFVrGqEKbFt.shtml

NightCabbage
August 10, 2004, 12:11 am
Hey what are the different multiplayer modes?

Hope it's got co-op!
(it should do...)

Hektik Sniper
August 10, 2004, 12:13 am
theres a few different coop mods out, and theres a proper one with unique maps coming called CO-OP^3

NightCabbage
August 10, 2004, 1:46 am
Why the hell didn't they put co-op in there in the first place :/

meh...

Quake 1 - co-op
Quake 2 - co-op
Quake 3 - N/A
Doom 3 - no.

eeeeee

That's the kinda game where co-op really rox.

So is multiplayer limited to the standards, like DM, and maybe CTF?

Other than the single player, any other modes?

Anything?

Famine
August 10, 2004, 4:00 am
quote:
Man, anyone seen the next-gen Unreal 3 engine

Yea NC, it looks so aweomse. Like a CGI movie ingame... or was that another preview I saw...hmmm I will have to look it up.

NightCabbage
August 10, 2004, 5:38 am
Yea, it looked fully pro ;)

Can't wait to see a game come out using it.

It's got the high polygon counts of UT2003 mixed with the lighting effects of Doom3.

But doom3 does look pretty cool too, Imma probably get it...

DT
August 14, 2004, 10:51 pm
i've played 1 and 2.. and i gota tell you.. the shotgun is the best... i just love that shotgun...
its... its... well... i can't discribe it...

NightCabbage
August 17, 2004, 12:19 am
heh, played Doom3 now.

It's quite a good looking game, very smooth and high quality.

However, it's 'more of the same', in that it's a straight FPS - run around and shoot stuff - now with added lighting effects!

:P

But it is cool.

I run it at max detail, 1024x768 on my 9800pro - runs ok actually

BManx2000
August 17, 2004, 1:28 am
Damn family computer, I can't play anything! :(

Cookie.
August 26, 2004, 8:08 am
OH MAN! What a brilliant GAME! Sorry for bringing this topic back but its awesome! I ran it at 4x antialiasing on the default settings and it was awesome :D SCARY TOO!
Heres Screenshot of me dieing at my first attempt playing ^_^ Its on easy too lol
The zombie caught me off guard
i was shooting corpses to make sure they were dead from the beginning and when igot to this corpse it just shot up in the air and im like ohoh click click! oh no my shotguns empty CRAP! He walked towards me and blew me away -_- FUN!
-=Edit=- Oh ya im running it on 256 ddr ram 400mhz and its still good ^_^
[IMAGE]

y0da
August 26, 2004, 11:57 am
i think i won't buy it. i'm waiting for a better game then doom - half-life 2!!!!!!! doom sux. i've played in 1 and 2. [:-yuck]

Hektik Sniper
August 26, 2004, 12:04 pm
3 is a completly different style of game to 1 and 2, you should at least try the demo thats coming out :/

bucky_brad
August 26, 2004, 1:30 pm
And I have no idea how halflife2 is going to top doom3. Stalker will stomp all over both of them when it comes out.
www.stalker-game.com
check out some of the videos on the news page.

Alamo
August 26, 2004, 8:13 pm
quote:Originally posted by y0da
i think i won't buy it. i'm waiting for a better game then doom - half-life 2!!!!!!! doom sux. i've played in 1 and 2. [:-yuck]

You are mocking the holy Doom! You gotta friggin love it :)

y0da
August 26, 2004, 8:14 pm
h-l 2 is teh 1 and only!

DeMonIc
August 26, 2004, 8:20 pm
BURN THE HERETIC!

MisterX
August 26, 2004, 10:12 pm
I got Doom 3 today, and I've played it for about 2:30 hours now. I know there haven't been so many great frightening moments, yet, but I really like it until now. The atmosphere is really intense. For example when I needed to walk through the vents, I just thought "please not... please not...", and was happy when I was out of them. The guy telling me "Be careful, I don't know what's in there" didn't really make me calm down..
I don't think it's the best shooter that has ever been made, but it's one of the best so far.

quote:Originally posted by y0da

lol! You know that Doom 1 and 2 were just shooters without a real story and not a special atmosphere, but Doom 3 is a shooter with still not a good story but a damn great, if not the best that was ever found in a pc game, atmosphere? Not to forget that it's one of the 2 best looking pc games ever made.

Cookie.
August 27, 2004, 12:40 am
its spooky i played it at 2 am with my lights off lots of sound and there was a thunderstorm too which helped :P
I died again this time 2 dog things burst out of the wall and chowed on me

Deleted User
August 29, 2004, 10:11 am
Lol. Games are getting better day after day. What about Amiga games? Or Nintendo? Or Sega Megadrive!!!?!?!? Now there's some good games in those consoles/computers. Amiga's Dynamite Ducks or Sega's "Super Magical Turbohat"(it really is named somtehing like that) pwn!