( search forums )
Spiderman/Sticky mode
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Smeep
August 4, 2004, 3:54 pm
This just popped in to my head, and the idea is purely for laughs. but what about a spiderman kinda mode, where you can stick to wall's ceilings etc. Be kinda good if you got hit by a grenade and got stuck to a wall by the blast.

Hmmm. This gave me another Idea, a grappling gun. so that if you were falling to your death and out of fuel, you could grapple and swing to safety.

Yin_Starrunner
August 4, 2004, 4:02 pm
....no.

Smeep
August 4, 2004, 4:05 pm
That's the kinda post that get's me ticked off. Could you give a reason? Like I said the idea is for laughs, i reckon it'd be fun to play like that. Why don't you think it would? And don't give me crap about realism, because there's crazy powerups like predator mode. (yes I know it's not in realistic mode)

Yin_Starrunner
August 4, 2004, 4:14 pm
well, u say the idea is for laucghs, and it sure is making me laugh. instead of me telling you why it wont work, why dont u tell me about how it WILL work? elaborate a little more. Will the controls be different? will you stick to everything?

Hitman
August 4, 2004, 4:51 pm
/me waits for N1nj@ to wet himself..

Smeep
August 4, 2004, 5:09 pm
Well, I don't really see what has to be different. You can get everywhere with your jetpack still, maybe have a hold to grab button. I just thought it'd be something kinda funky to do while you are bored. But hey, if you don't like the idea, you could tell me why. Don't think it should be to hard to implement. Maybe instead of having it as a mode, have it as a map, then you could stick to everything without having a button, so you could still run about all upside down and stuff. Gravity for your jumps could be dependant on what you are standing on, so that if you were upside down you don't catapult yourself to the floor. etc etc.

Yin_Starrunner
August 4, 2004, 6:15 pm
i jsut dont get y it would be fun...

...and i think its a waste of mihcals time to program.

N1nj@
August 4, 2004, 6:19 pm
go play spiderman-2 instead...it just doesn't fit the game with guns and stuff.

The Geologist
August 4, 2004, 6:30 pm
I agree..keep the stickiness to yourself, thank you. XD. Yes, it might be fun to be able to shoot someone while standing on the ceiling...but where is the practicality in this?

August 4, 2004, 7:28 pm
It would totally defeat the point of having fuel for jetboots- If someone is "falling to their death", then they should have conserved their fuel.

Smeep
August 4, 2004, 8:09 pm
Sorry for trying to come up with an original idea. I might as well have said vehicles. we all know what happens then.

Drama
August 4, 2004, 8:18 pm
LMAO @ hitman's sig

HaZe
August 5, 2004, 10:39 pm
i like the idear of grapple hook (u could use c and it changes to it as a weapon and shoot it a limeted distance and be able to swing and adjust the length of the line (and unhook and swing again without landing)) just an idear, but i think it would be good and im sure theres bad things about it.

die nadel
August 6, 2004, 1:20 am
i think the grappling hook is a good idea just have it as a secondary weapon. or maybe give a person the choice between the hook and jets, that makes it a little more even, plus the hook in liero is awsome.

Yin_Starrunner
August 6, 2004, 2:12 am
o stop ripping off liero, this aint liero, if liero was cool, it would have jetpacks/boots [8D]

paramud
August 6, 2004, 6:03 am
i cant get liero to work :(

pattoe
August 6, 2004, 10:56 am
good idea but i can see the problems... flag holders hiding in places u can never see them and things...

systemfeind
August 6, 2004, 11:55 am
rofl

kevith
August 6, 2004, 6:01 pm
Who in their right mind would choose the hook over jets? ;) Something that could be interesting would be if in a map without any jets, the right mouse button would instead fire a grappling hook (of course we would then need more maps without jets... ctf_run would be cool with nothing but a hook). If Michal decides to add a grappling hook, great... but it is in no way needed to improve the game. Anyway, just kind of thinking out loud here....

Smeep
August 6, 2004, 10:40 pm
Foreseable problem with a grappling hook, would be that if it was a secondary weapon, then you'd be buggered whilst using it, cuz you couldn't fire back at the enemy. But hey.

Marine
August 6, 2004, 11:04 pm
Hmm....this should be called "Matrix Mode" instead :-D

Sjuge
August 6, 2004, 11:52 pm
Why don't we just make it an option between Jet pack/boots and Grapple hook? The server admins would have to choose wich they want and then everyone is stuck with using the same thing. That way, you can asign the Grapple hook to the right mouse button, instead of Jet, and still be able to fire.

EDIT: Also, mapmakers would have to set both amount of Jet fuel and Grapple hook range (and maybe amount too).

Yin_Starrunner
August 7, 2004, 5:10 am
im pretty sure grappling hook has been suggested be4 at least 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 times.

Unlucky 13
August 7, 2004, 5:31 am
Higher... Probably 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999 times!

anyway, it most likely wont be implemented, copyrights/bugs/stupidity

Smeep
August 7, 2004, 2:05 pm
Thanks for screwing the page up.

It wouldn't be copyright if it wasn't spiderman. Bug's are everywhere. Stupidity is in the eye of the Beholder.

Just for the record. Predator mode *cough*copyrightmyassbiatch*cough*

Sorry to be an asshole, but everyone else here seems to be. So I'll join in.

palloco
August 7, 2004, 2:40 pm
quote:Originally posted by Smeep
Sorry for trying to come up with an original idea.

LMAO
If that is original you better go watch teletubbies instead of posting here

Smeep
August 8, 2004, 6:32 pm
I aint gunna get in to flaming. I daint see it posted before. I daint see spiderman under the search. So there.

DeMonIc
August 8, 2004, 8:29 pm
Dude, I'll try n explain short.
Predator mode:
-fits in Soldat
Spiderman:
-doesn't fit in soldat
Hook:
-we already have boots...y do u wanta hook?!

KnOt
August 8, 2004, 11:42 pm
ACTUALLY.. the 'spiderman mode' doesn't seem like a bad idea to me. I mean it'd be a good bonus.. Imagine being able to just run up verticle walls, and then boost off with your jets and make it rain bullets on your enemies.. I'm not talking about getting stuck to walls.. but if u were facing the wall you should be able to 'climb' up it.. Kind of like 1.05b but going a bit more extreme. I mean actually being able to stand casually hanging upside down from the ceiling.. or run along it as though it was just a regular ground-level polygon. You could do an entire lap around a map.. going 360 degrees..

Of course the grappling hook is bollocks.... but that's outa point.

Vassili_Zaitsev
August 9, 2004, 9:06 am
i personnaly like the idea...sounds fun...although some glitches may have to be thought out but meh...wont happen but it would be pretty fun!

die nadel
August 9, 2004, 10:49 am
i don't see why grappling hook is so dumb but i'll just sit here in my own little ignorent bubble being a sttpid dumbarse

Element_101
August 9, 2004, 1:41 pm
We have jet boots why do you want grappling hook!

Smeep
August 9, 2004, 3:54 pm
There are "no jets" maps. Could be usefull there, especially if people make more "no jets" maps. That'd also bring the possibility of "no jets or grappling" maps too. And I agree, The better version of my Idea is to be able to run about on the walls. Infact, if this was done, it'd give the people who want "bullet time" at least a little Matrix Like compensation.

DeMonIc
August 9, 2004, 3:57 pm
Barrett thread!
No bullet time.NO MATRICKS!
No jet maps are ment to be no flying and jumping/superman etc.They're meant to be more realistic, and
grappling maps...bah, I'll stick with Jet boots thank you.

Smeep
August 9, 2004, 7:48 pm
So ultimately, you reason against the Idea is just you being grumpy? lol. The spiderman, or wallrunner could easily be a power up of some sort. Or it could be a game type.

I think it'd be awesome to have a 360ยบ battle going on. And sure, there's no "real" reason to have grapling going on, but hey, the game is supposed to be fun at the end of the day, and I think this is just another way to make it fun.

Yin_Starrunner
August 9, 2004, 11:37 pm
ok. lets say its a powerup. y the [:-censored] would i want to run on walls? It's just a stupid idea.

Smeep
August 10, 2004, 12:42 pm
For fun. That simple, imagine being chase to a dead end by some guy with a grenade (you'd prolly be running backwards though, but we'll neglect that) all you gotta do is run up the wall, he lobs grenade, grenade bounces of wall, hit's him. you laugh. works for me.

HaZe
August 12, 2004, 4:37 pm
well...i think the grapple hook would be fun for some people but some will hate it
so if u dont like it dont use it (if it gets added witch i dont think it will) but it would be nice to have it and i think the 'spidaman' thing isnt very suitable for ths game.

Deleted User
August 12, 2004, 7:18 pm
I think if that 'running on the walls' is a powerup, it's good for laughing.
But if it is a game mod, it's good to make trick videos...

...and good for laughing[:D]

Vassili_Zaitsev
August 13, 2004, 5:55 am
dude its sounding a lot like the classic game liero...you know the one with the worms...
anyway...i like the 'spiderman' idea...sounds fun!

DT
August 14, 2004, 10:16 pm
what would be fun to play... but might get annoying

Smeep
August 15, 2004, 2:31 pm
so you don't have to play the wall runner bit, lol. And Liero??? No idea. I did play worms though.

Unlucky 13
August 16, 2004, 11:36 am
ok it would be *choke*remotley*choke* funny, but i dont get any major uses, considering jetboots

Liber_Lupus
August 16, 2004, 12:04 pm
Now...Next thing we do is H|tman and DNA.Styx mode

August 16, 2004, 12:41 pm
[file]Hitmanmode.JPG,1059,,0[/file]
Did someone say Hitman mode?

Hektik Sniper
August 16, 2004, 12:53 pm
hahaha leet Sticky

Hitman
August 16, 2004, 2:13 pm
Rofl