( search forums )
How do I know if I have a firewall?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Need Help? Report Bugs!
redscitle
August 6, 2004, 11:29 pm
I think I have a firewall, i'm not sure. I'm on a network so I feel I do have a firewall. So, I cannot join a game or get the server list. Is there a number I'm supposed to type in somewhere? I'm really confused when the Soldat manual talks of Ports and stuff.

If this helps, I downloaded AIM and I couldn't connect. Then I went on another computer on our network that has AIM and I compared the connection preferences of the 2 AIMs. I changed the Server: host and port, along with the Proxy server: host and port and selected a protocol. I have no clue what I just said as I have copied it from the Connection Preferences in AIM. So do those numbers and addresses have anything to do with anything?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Deleted User
August 6, 2004, 11:40 pm
You know that you haven't got a firewall if you haven't installed one.

redscitle
August 6, 2004, 11:56 pm
Its not my computer. I'm at a computer lab where I have nothing to do all day so I wanted to play soldat.

Hitman
August 7, 2004, 12:12 am
Well, there is the default Windows firewall. Read this on how to disable it.

redscitle
August 7, 2004, 8:45 pm
these computers have ME, not XP, any other info. THanks again. I mostly want to run a dedicated server so other people can have fun on this high speed connection.

redscitle
August 7, 2004, 10:59 pm
I think there is a proxy server to go through: 10.0.01 Port 8080
Does this help at all.

Thanks

Weed
August 8, 2004, 2:22 am
you could always open the window and check it there is a firewall around your house ^_^

Alamo
August 8, 2004, 6:07 pm
I can't open Dedicated Servers either because my internet runs over a router and the ports in the router are not opened. Maybe you have a Router and the ports are blocked?

Smeep
August 8, 2004, 6:49 pm
Try looking in the system tray (the bit in the bottom right of the screen), Hover over the icon's there. See if there is a firewall.

Subslider
August 9, 2004, 6:38 pm
well if ya want to run a server you most of the time have to open some ports.. or change soldat to use the ports that are allreaddy open..

maybe this will help aswel.. do to an security check site.. check your security..

if its very bad then you most likely dont have an firewall.. if ya do..
well then most of the time you can also see what ports are open there so set soldat to that..

hope this helps.. Sub

NightCabbage
August 10, 2004, 12:39 am
First off, I'm guessing you can play Soldat over the net without any problem?
And that you want to run a server?

One happy little way to check...

Open Soldat.
Make a server, make sure it's registered in the lobby.
Minimize Soldat.

Open another Soldat window.
Go to the join menu.
Download the server list.
Check to see if your server is listed.
If you can't find it near the top, then it's probably right down the bottom.
Scroll across to where the IP is listed.
If it's ?????, then you're routed ;)
If you can't find it at all, then it's prolly blocked.

systemfeind
August 10, 2004, 10:09 am
im guessing your company uses a proxy server. if so u wont be able to play soldat or open a dedicated server on machines with proxy server connection.

u are only able to view homepages or chat via mirc or aim if i type in the proxy settings (as u already did by copying it from one program to another)

me has the same problem @ w0rk because mercedes benz is also using http proxy server. the problem is that proxy server dont allow dynamic port routing like in soldat (only via a local socks server program but also soldat dont support that).