( search forums )
medpack/grenades on spawn+backpack?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Svirin Kerath
August 7, 2004, 11:33 am
i checked all the suggestion titles, didn't see nuthin like this.

Upon spawning, you have a backpack on your back.
also upon spawning, when chosing weapons, you also choose one of two things to have in the backpack. one being an extra medpack. the other being an extra pack of grenades.

i'm sure you could think of other possibilities, but since those already exist and are easier to work with, i'll use them as an example.

let's say you're playing CTF. you choose to put a medpack in your backpack. you go to get the flag. you get it, but get shot up a lot. you decide to use the medpack. first, you switch to your backpack. while you are using it, you cannot fire your other weapons. you can arrange it so that you switch weapons with the scroll button on the mouse, and that'll be handy for this, you can scroll between main weapon, secondary, and the backpack. now, when you've switched to the backpack, all you need to do is press the 'drop weapon' button, and you'll drop the medpack. where you place the cursor is where you will drop it, much like a grenade. you can chuck it right below, and a little in front of you, and then run into it to fill your health up.

this could also establish people who are 'medics' for their teams. their job is to carry/throw medpacks to their teammates.

however, the items dropped can be used by any team, no matter who they're intended for. also, they cannot be used until they touch the ground. this ensures that the person with the extra medpack can't just refill their health easily on the run.

there is also a use for this in deathmatch. you could find a secluded place to reload, and empty the medkit from your backpack to refill your health.

there are a multitude of possibilities for this.

you could also pick up kits, but the process would be more complicated. in order to pick up a medkit or grenade pack, you need to crouch on top of it with an empty backpack and click on it. it would then be lifted into the backpack. the whole process would take several seconds, in order to make it harder to do on the field, and therefore, less abused.

the backpack should either be a third option, or be a possible choice instead of a secondary weapon. the latter might make things more balanced but *shrug* whatever you guys think..

The Noid
August 7, 2004, 12:04 pm
This is a great idea, I almost always find myself in need of a quick heal. Also it would bring meaning to the default command, "Medic!"
I dont think we need more grenades though, I almost never run out of those.=D

Svirin Kerath
August 7, 2004, 12:48 pm
thanks. yeah, medkits are more practical, and i was hoping we might be able to come up with other things that would be made useful via the backpack.

Yin_Starrunner
August 7, 2004, 3:24 pm
i don't like this idea. It kinda defeats the purpose of having medkits and grenades on the ground.

Besides, this is kinda like suggesting a medkit for a sec weapon. that has been suggested many times before.

Overall, it adds lameness. If i'm blue, and chasing the enemy flagger on laos, and he goes up the slope from my base and onto the top of the "hill", and im chasing him, but once i get to the top of the hill, the kill i deserved now has full health.

bucky_brad
August 7, 2004, 3:59 pm
this idea got me thinking.
what about backpack for a choice of secondary, it slows you down ALOT and you have less jet fuel but you get an extra primary, but you cant have 2 of the same primarys and obviously you dont have a secondary.

So fire power, or speed its your choice.
might be a bit unfair though i havn't really thought about it to much but remember they can't run to far if you dont have a backpack and they do.

Darksider
August 7, 2004, 7:05 pm
This idea is near to make a "Team Fortress" Soldat mod.

BTW, I think it would be nice. And this will give the game a new feeling.

Svirin Kerath
August 7, 2004, 10:50 pm
quote:Originally posted by bucky_brad
this idea got me thinking.
what about backpack for a choice of secondary, it slows you down ALOT and you have less jet fuel but you get an extra primary, but you cant have 2 of the same primarys and obviously you dont have a secondary.

So fire power, or speed its your choice.
might be a bit unfair though i havn't really thought about it to much but remember they can't run to far if you dont have a backpack and they do.

maybe you could run at normal speed, but it would be slow at first (you're slower at first because the backpack holds you back, but increase because the backpack adds inertia). but then maybe if you stop too quickly, you slide forward a bit.

i think the biggest effect would be on using jets. the backpack would weigh you down, so you'd go slower and use up more fuel.

of course, this would only be in effect while the backpack was full. however, an empty backpack is only potentially useful, and a full backpack is partially detrimental.

Toni_Cicerelli
August 10, 2004, 2:39 am
This would be a fun addition. And im always getting shut up and theres not a health pack to be found. And I never use my secondary. This would solve everything.

kevith
August 10, 2004, 6:08 am
Interesting idea... but it makes for a lot of button pushing in order to so something (before you spawn & during the game) --> too complex. Possibly if you had a separate button entirely for the backpack.

Svirin Kerath
August 12, 2004, 1:01 am
if it's a secondary weapon, not really. same as before. choose primary weapon. choose medpack.

click. click. done. both a medpack with grenades and a medpack with health would be shown, along with other secondaries, on the list for you to choose from.

as for during the game, it would basically be the same as switching to the knife and throwing it

pick up would be more complicated, but i figure it probably should be a little more involved so it's harder to do on the field.

dr.ON
August 12, 2004, 8:16 pm
bad idea with weapon chosing - make 1 button - pack taker

systemfeind
August 13, 2004, 8:30 am
this is one of the rare suggestions i really like.

finally new tactics to soldat but personally i would like to have the backpack on an extra button because u can get in trouble if u have to switch ur weapons fast to save ur live and accidently get the medpack.

moreover i have a logitech mx510 so there are many buttons free to assign ;D

Unlucky 13
August 13, 2004, 8:35 am
can the backpack be picked up? does the contents spill out when the holder dies?

think about these

Svirin Kerath
August 14, 2004, 6:07 am
the backpack can be picked up with the item it contains, if it does indeed contain one. it acts as a secondary weapon after all.

and if you think it's better that way, there can be a backpack button. 's not for me, it's for everyone, so if most of you think that way, why not implement it that way?

DT
August 14, 2004, 8:32 pm
Yea i like that idea

Keato
August 27, 2004, 4:20 am
Yea, that would be a good idea.. Soldat needs something new in the game.

Elephant_Hunter
August 27, 2004, 4:32 am
quote:i don't like this idea. It kinda defeats the purpose of having medkits and grenades on the ground.

I like it because it defeats the purpose of having these items on the ground [:P]

paramud
August 27, 2004, 5:15 am
if you would have read kazuki's suggestion thread you would have seen :
quote:Originally posted by Kazuki
Name: Backpack Slot
Posted By: SyKot
Rating: [IMAGE]
Description: Suggests a backpack, with a choice of what it contains, as a secondary weapon. The choices include a medkit, mines, jet fuel, and binoculars. next time, read those topics (oooh i feel like a mod :D!)

Elephant_Hunter
August 27, 2004, 6:11 am
Good point erm.., but this topic was more recent. Although I like the binocular & landmine ideas from that post.

DeMonIc
August 27, 2004, 9:36 am
Hmm nice, I think it's a good idea, no matter who suggested it.

HellRaider
August 27, 2004, 6:24 pm
I like the idea except that 95% of people in pubs would chose two barrets for their pack -_-'

bucky_brad
August 27, 2004, 7:08 pm
quote:but you cant have 2 of the same primarys

hmm... mabey you should read the post all of the way through before commenting.

DT
August 27, 2004, 7:28 pm
yea i like that idea

diediedie119
December 3, 2004, 12:40 am
i like the idea
but i think it would be better if when you die holding backpack the contents spill out

Noobile
December 3, 2004, 1:51 am
I love the idea, there have been plenty of times I've been in need of serious health, but somone usually beats me to it, so many times I'm struck bleeding like it's cool, trying to defend/cap, like many people, however, I propose this question, can the medic kit be "reloaded" so to speak? and if so, how? does it require picking one off the battlefield? does it just require hitting the reload key?

On a possible downside, the problem with health camping, this would just give those who sit behind some object ( although not as much anymore, I kinda miss it sometimes...) and snipe people, basically, those people are set, all they gotta do is settle in, and scope around, no matter who comes up on them, and empties a clip into them, they're healed, and probably loaded with another round/clip or what have you, and while you're re-loading, they blast you, continue process....

All in all I personally like the idea, I'd like to see it implimented, but if it becomes a serious problem, as I mentioned, it'll have to go, for balancing issues.

Magniitude
December 3, 2004, 2:37 am
Thread necro!!

Might as well...

I think its ok, but a bit of a hassle, of instance if i accidently touch the mouse wheel, i might switch to it while im needing my gun and boom im dead.

Svirin Kerath
December 3, 2004, 9:19 pm
wow... this thread was really resurrected...
a designated button would solve that, but i don't think that'd even be a problem for people used to playing shooters... >.o

diediedie119
December 4, 2004, 6:22 am
how about you can go in front of pwer-ups and use yuor backpack and you pick it up but you can only have 5 things in the backpack

Svirin Kerath
December 5, 2004, 4:52 pm
i think that would be a bit too many... might be unbalanced..

diediedie119
December 7, 2004, 4:52 am
ok then 3 things is that better

Krieg
December 9, 2004, 8:43 pm
good idea, diedie, but i reckon 1 thing is enough, i mean if your gun ho enough to need 5 medpacks you take them. with the back pack idea, you should be able to choose from a list
medkit
grenades
%5 more fuel
all slowing you down to a certain level, not slow but fast enough to escape

Svirin Kerath
December 10, 2004, 9:10 pm
i just got another idea. a backpack could supply a... whatsitcalled... "bandolier"? it gives your weapon a more constant stream of ammo, except for the pistols, shotgun, rifle, barret, or minigun. so, say, instead of 30 rounds for the steyr, you get 60. once you use the 60, you get a normal clip and put that in, back to 30.

Vijchtidoodah
December 10, 2004, 10:28 pm
No, no, no, no. Those things are deadly enough without a double sized clip.

Judge_Man
December 11, 2004, 3:20 am
I really like the idea but no "bandolier", just imagine a 200 bullet minigun or 100 bullet minimi, Too insane. But, i think the backpack should be ONE sec. weapon. You have your Primary and your backpack, no soccom/knife/law/saw. Would solve the " and if i switch accidently to my backpack while i need my sec weap. blablabla".

Having a primary + a sec. + a backpack would be too much.

Svirin Kerath
December 11, 2004, 5:18 pm
remember, i exempted the minigun =/. minime would prolly only be increased to 75 rounds or so. it'll depend on the gun.

and yeah, that's what i origionally planned, i think, to replace the secondary with the backpack (if desired).