( search forums )
silencer
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
whyte
August 7, 2004, 9:27 pm
In my humble opinion a silencer would be a great asset in any soldat fight. I have been playing a while now and it seems to me that not hearing an enemy approaching (jetting) and shooting would be a major disadvantage.

I dont know if this could be put foward as a bonus, or as a weapon select option (reducing the power of the weapon by a small amount) or as a pickup much like grenades you get so many shots/clips of silenced fire.

Instead of silencing your weapon it could insted silence your jetpack etc.

Of course i could just turn the volume down.

I've also had the idea of a "shell casing hopper" to collect the spent ammunition, reducing the chance of you being seen if your sniping. However this would make certain hacks less detectable.

Input please.

Liber_Lupus
August 7, 2004, 9:35 pm
I kinda like the silencer idea...but then we need a new button? you press the button and your soldier puts on the silencer in 1,5-2 sec.

August 7, 2004, 9:39 pm
You get a silencer in predator mode. Why aren't you happy?

whyte
August 7, 2004, 9:43 pm
/silencer?
soldier screws it on, lasts one clip on ruger/deagles 3 shots? on barrett and say 1 second sustained fire on autos.

erm having spent the last few minutes looking over kazuki's (hope i spelt it right) sticky and a search of mine own it appears that perm. silenced weapons have been suggested before for this i appolagise.

In the time i was reading throught other threads about how <inster weapon name here> pwns too much blah blah, i realised how damned annoying it is that a good proportion of m79 users get as close as possible and then fire, i thought that if the shell had say a 0.2 sec "fuse" on it and bounced of the target dealing a little damage if the fuse time hadnt expired would make it better in some ways and worse in others... On the plus side a whole new range of shots are available to skillful users, on the minus you cant use it like a feckin chainsaw.

whyte
August 7, 2004, 9:46 pm
as a silencer wont make much difference in pred mode (if your shooting at someone youll probably kill them so they know your there anyway) whereas it will when your sniping/sneaking up on someone, or rather i hope itll make a difference...

The Geologist
August 8, 2004, 3:48 am
Where is your silencer when I'm running up and knifing you in the head? There's silence enough in the predator mode...kill kill away and make those noisey steps count soldier.

Yin_Starrunner
August 8, 2004, 4:51 am
wow i actually agree with this topic, turn the volume down.

karmazonpl
August 8, 2004, 6:06 am
I don't see any use for this
maybe silencer would help campers ?
but why would you need a silencer in a fight ?

TigerDragon
August 8, 2004, 7:22 am
wow u put alot of thought into this

Unlucky 13
August 8, 2004, 8:25 am
lets scilence a chainsaw! *puts scilencer on chainsaw and starts it* wow, it only makes it louder for a second! knife *does same with a knife* look, no damage! i dont like this as we have predetor mode already, and the given examples above.

Element_101
August 8, 2004, 9:29 am
To much work for not enough gain im affraid...

whyte
August 8, 2004, 9:55 am
wow all of two useful replys, i am amazed

Subslider
August 8, 2004, 10:28 am
been suggested before..but.
meh doesnt like.. why would ya wanna have an silencer?..

For the look?.. make an mod...
For the "low-Sound"?.. change original sound..

there..

Smeep
August 8, 2004, 6:24 pm
I think this would be kinda cool actually, Maybe hard to implement for such a game as this. It'd be well nice if some retard had been pissing you off, and instead of just blasting him away the normal way, you just kill him, and he didn't even know you were there.

bucky_brad
August 8, 2004, 7:03 pm
no, this idea is worthless. How often do you get shot at and think from the sound "oh i am being shot from over there".
you never do, so what point is a silencer? none.

kkazican
August 8, 2004, 11:23 pm
whyte how many times have you or you seeing anyone else trying to sneak up on someone? If you see that person they see you too so it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Vassili_Zaitsev
August 9, 2004, 9:24 am
i like the idea, a lot like the game America's Army, a button to attach or take it off
i like it...it will add to the gmae...a stealth dimention.
i say yeah, go for it

BManx2000
August 9, 2004, 3:59 pm
quote:Originally posted by bucky_brad
no, this idea is worthless. How often do you get shot at and think from the sound "oh i am being shot from over there".
you never do, so what point is a silencer? none.

You do if you wear headphones [:D]

DeMonIc
August 9, 2004, 4:01 pm
Hmm..silencer would only be usefull, if it would "hide" ur bullets aswell...because u can figure out where r u gettin killed from if u see the bullet's trail.

Smeep
August 9, 2004, 4:03 pm
True Demonic. I also here the sound from nice suround sound system, though it doesn't work amazing with soldat unless I turn the Volume up. Which works for me, loud music too!

Subslider
August 9, 2004, 6:42 pm
still i dont like it..
i like the ideas you have come up with.. BUT!

Soldat is an Fast-action-shooter..
soldat is not an CS game with 2 final appnonants on it..

my point said.. still thinkin bout it.. Ask michal see how he thinks bout it.. ;)

Smeep
August 9, 2004, 7:41 pm
I guess the thing with this MOD, is ultimately, there's no reason not to have it. People who want to play stealthy (or a little bit stealthy) rather, would have the option to if this was implemented, and again, people who didn't want to could turn it off on the server I suppose. Like everything else though, it's one of those "I know, Let's make it an option" Idea's. If done well, It could bring soldat to a whole new level, otherwise, it'd turn up more like an easter egg.

BManx2000
August 9, 2004, 8:25 pm
It could be cool as an option for survival mode...

Toni_Cicerelli
August 10, 2004, 2:19 am
How about just making the socom silenced. Not many other guns it would make sence on.

Vassili_Zaitsev
August 13, 2004, 6:03 am
yea its a good idea but not really practical for this game
but still, ask the mike!

whyte
August 13, 2004, 4:34 pm
i doubt this is true for everyone, but when i play soldat sound really does make a difference (btw soldat has excellent sound fx)

you CAN hear people fighting close by beacuse of the noise their gun makes, or the noise their jets make

palloco
August 13, 2004, 5:33 pm
I dont even use speakers nor headphones...

DT
August 14, 2004, 8:53 pm
you could put it as a sec weapon and when you fire a gun it makes less noise or something...

brickman
August 15, 2004, 1:27 am
Put a silencer on the socom automatically, but make it so that its muted instead of silent (aka you must listen real hard). The gun realistically would have one, and it could be an asset in realistic flag games

Alamo
August 15, 2004, 12:26 pm
You better turn off the deah console then. Otherwise that wouldn't make sense. When the red team sees someone being killed by a silenced socom they know they are bein attacked. Oh, and turn the chat off. When someone is being killed by a socom he will at once tell his team...

Smeep
August 15, 2004, 2:26 pm
but you would be gone and out of there.

brickman
August 18, 2004, 10:15 pm
Yeah, but how do the defenders know whether the slain man was on offense or defense? And not everybody sends chat when killed, doing so is an example of good teamwork that should be rewarded. It can only help you after all, never hurt. But if the chat was turned off people would abuse it.

Toni_Cicerelli
August 19, 2004, 2:45 am
You could also do some thing like take some hand gun make it silenced give it some power and a bit of range and make it a primary. There for you could have a silenced handgun and a knife.

brickman
August 24, 2004, 5:33 pm
Mabey just make a server OPTION for no death console and no dead man chat. It would be kind of a waste with short espawn times, but with a max 10 or 15 respawn in realistic it would make you a lot less likely to be detected if they can't hear the gun. Which makes things more realistic

blackdevil0742
August 24, 2004, 8:02 pm
YAY let's take a barret and hide behind a bush and siper everyone :)

Psyl3ntShad0w
August 24, 2004, 8:03 pm
Eh...silenced really doesn't matter at all...

I hate to break it to you but you can change Soldat sound files...If anyone wanted they could make the silenced sound into a AIM notification or something...

That's how I hear the headshot sound...I changed it so whenever I get a headshot it says "HEADSHOT" like in UT since the default headshot sounds is really hard to hear.

Silencer would be useless unless sounds couldn't be tampered with...if sounds can't be tampered with...modders will be pissed.

brickman
August 24, 2004, 10:11 pm
But you can't prevent others from hearing the socom, just yourself. And I couldn't give a damn if people can't modify ONE SOUND, because if they are making a mod it has to be the same type of gun anyways (it can look like a plasma rifle if you want, but you still have to use it like the origional). So if silence becomes a feature of the gun, it becomes a feature of any mod gun.

Deleted User
August 28, 2004, 4:29 am
Eh, I think the Predator mode is more than enough for silent firing [8D]