( search forums )
General thought about e-hypocrisy
Soldat Forums - Misc - The Lounge
n/a
August 10, 2004, 5:07 pm
I noticed there is living a huge envy and hate versus illegal sharing of soldat registration keys. The slightest insinuation of 'hacking' or 'cracking' delivers you almost a one way ticket to ban-land, Papillon.

So far, no problem.

The last weeks, months , I've noticed a lot of the people, let's call them the Soldat White Knights ( those who fight 'soldat piratism' as mentioned above ) are sharing and downloading plenty of cracked versions of software and games ( about everything except Soldat, of course ) by themselves.
It's hypocritic ( above the highest level ! ) to condemn people as you're just one of them. It's even more hypocritic to judge ( ! ) other people, the condemned people, as you never weren't be able to judge yourself.

Let just hope some of you take this in mind when you curse an alleged illegal-soldatkey-trader, or just when you're starting your kazaa (or whatever program) again.

Thank you for reading this...

Deleted User
August 10, 2004, 5:41 pm
I don't crack anything. If i really wasnt something i will buy it.

Weed
August 10, 2004, 6:27 pm
hahaha
i knew you would do something like this sebas :D
I know exactly what you mean ^_^

koil
August 10, 2004, 7:03 pm
hehe yea *deletes his warezed copy of yuri revenge, gta2, fallout2, duke3d, ra1, cm97-98, starcraft, starcraft broodward, bob dylan, the carpenters, ut98, crimsonland, deadlock1, deadlock2, and gameboy advance*
[:-censored] YOU S0LD4T H4CK3RZ (btw, anyone knows how to tune channels on 'akai vs-g205' VCR's?)

edit: took soldat out of the list (oops). [:-eyebrows]

Leo Da Lunerfox
August 10, 2004, 7:45 pm
Oh god you caught me! Better hide my clothes rack full of warez and purge my comp before you can find and track me down!

n/a
August 11, 2004, 11:36 am
Oh, it doesn't seem my post had much response :o)

I'm happy Weed and Koil at least take the time to read this, but I know it's too late to change them, bloody pricks ;o)

bucky_brad
August 11, 2004, 5:25 pm
I thought that this topic would be ingnored, because alot of people do pirate half of thier software if not more.

but you have to remember alot of the people here can afford 10$ for a game they know they will keep on playing for another 2 months but cant afford 99$ for a game they might play for 2 weeks and decide that they dont like it but they cant take it back. Also for software like flash Mx and other things like that(not to sure) but they can be over 200$

koil
August 11, 2004, 6:06 pm
quote:Originally posted by bucky_brad
I thought that this topic would be ingnored, because alot of people do pirate half of thier software if not more.

but you have to remember alot of the people here can afford 10$ for a game they know they will keep on playing for another 2 months but cant afford 99$ for a game they might play for 2 weeks and decide that they dont like it but they cant take it back. Also for software like flash Mx and other things like that(not to sure) but they can be over 200$

thats a legitimate (rofl) reason, and i acknowladge that.
BUT, he talked about the hypocrsy of the people, that "flames" people, with legitimate reason. the same reason that they use.

that is why you'll never see me flame some innocent soul that have a cracked version of X (X stands for anything).

Weed
August 11, 2004, 11:43 pm
aye, bucky has a good point there
and true, you will never see me bashing someone who cracks any kind of game neither.

but i so knew seb would do this topic, i mean, i knew it before he knew it ;D

Hova
August 12, 2004, 5:28 am
It really doesn't matter how rich or poor you are, if you cannot afford the item, you shouldn't be able to use it.

Anyway, I was going to post about e-bravado, but I think I shouldn't.

Dark_Noddy
August 12, 2004, 1:57 pm
I think that as Soldat is a FREE GAME and it is made by 1 man, ppl should show some respect and pay the $10.. its $10 FFS... And then we look at other softwere. like Delphi 6 Somthing... This is a corparation proggi.. Cheap as hell, only $6000 or like The photoshop [:-censored].. Dunno how much those costs, they are not cheap atleast.. Those major softwear corps Dont make money on us.. they make theiere money on big [:-censored]ing corporations and things like that..
Games.. if Games would be free to try and cost some bucks to buy then I'd agree.. But as they aren't Cheap and U CANNOT try then first I say Screw'em... If U like a game buy it ! Same goes for music.. Many artists WANT THEIRE RECORDS to go on KaZaa Etc. CoZ then ppl download them and think, hmmm.. Nice ! I go buy theese Cds CoZ kaZaa quality SUX ! ^^

Cracking and [:-censored] is Ok IMO... But For games and softwear like soldat I feel its Not OK... Same goes for all other "Free to try 10 bucks 2 buy" games/softwear..

n/a
August 12, 2004, 2:18 pm
So stealing in a supermarket is ok but stealing in a small local shop is not done ?

DeMonIc
August 12, 2004, 2:42 pm
I wish to point out something:
A half year old game in hungary costs about 11000 HUF...that's 55 bucks.
New games are even more expensive...
So I guess I should sell my computer seeing as I can't affor any games.Except for freeware.

n/a
August 12, 2004, 4:12 pm
Well, DeMonic, only 30 years ago our parents have to save money for a few weeks to only buy an LP. So when they finally got the LP they were in seventh heaven for some days, weeks.
Now, we only want to HAVE, HAVE and HAVE. No-one will stop us of having and we want it NOW !
Don't you think you'll probably enjoy a game (which you have saved a month money for) more than have it by a quick download ?

It's dreadful people don't think about ethic or moral when they want to have something.

koil
August 12, 2004, 4:43 pm
quote:Originally posted by AE Sebastian

It's dreadful people don't think about ethic or moral when they want to have something.

i dont know about you, but i will NOT spend ANY type of cash, on something that i can get for free.

you dont expect me to spend my whole paycheck on whores, while i can have sex realationship with some ladies.. right?

n/a
August 12, 2004, 5:00 pm
There is a huge difference between 'getting something for free' and 'stealing', koil :)

(and don't spend ever money on a 'sex-relationship', try to buy her/him a few roses, write a letter, or whatever... to develop a love-relationship :o) )

August 12, 2004, 6:55 pm
I bet you didn't pay to use the image of Spot for your own use.

n/a
August 12, 2004, 7:44 pm
Spot ? It's "Dribbel" !

Ow, what if the image was redrawn ? you got any proves that the image is copyrighted ?
It's almost impossible, there is no huge database, to check if an image may be used or not by someone else.
Basically a copyright is a legal convention which recognizes the paternity of a work to its author's natural person.
There are two ways an image can be protected due patrimonial rights: "Exclusive proprietory rights" and "Remuneration right". Besides patrimonial rights, there are also the moral rights.

It's illegal to copy or use or ... images yes, but it's quite a delicate question. Which isn't by downloading movies, music, games and software.

By the way, you can't compare a theft of a banana with a theft of sportcar, even if it is the same crime, a theft, the last one will be penalised heavier than the banana-thief.

There is the law and the interpretation of the law.

And there is common sense... :o)

Deleted User
August 12, 2004, 7:46 pm
quote:Originally posted by Sticky
I bet you didn't pay to use the image of Spot for your own use.

I bet you didn't pay to use that image of lol on your avatar.

...Just kidding.

koil
August 12, 2004, 8:34 pm
quote:Originally posted by AE Sebastian

By the way, you can't compare a theft of a banana with a theft of sportcar, even if it is the same crime, a theft, the last one will be penalised heavier than the banana-thief.

There is the law and the interpretation of the law.

And there is common sense... :o)

you could say the same thing about soldat and doom3 ;)

btw, speaking of which:
not sure if it was on the official website, but michal marci said 'soldat is a combo between liero, and quake' (quake/ut/sod, i forgot which one).

doesnt it counts as a copyrights violation? (its obviously not.. i just want to know why.. since its used to 'promote' the game, by using legal tm(s) )

n/a
August 12, 2004, 11:01 pm
Lol, this topic is turning out in some technical investigation of the copyrights-law..

In my opinion, if michal used the 'r' (circled r , symbol for registered names) near/above the "brandnames" Liero and Quake, there can't be any problem.

Meandor
August 12, 2004, 11:43 pm
Hehe, i was expecting this kind of post one day or another :P (nice post btw) So i will be honest.
Soldat is basically a free game. When you dowload soldat, you're all set, you can have a full experience without paying a cent to the author. Registering is a way to directly support the author, and what you get is rather useless. People have no real reason to hack it and this is why it's considered more 'wrong' than dling warez.
Then, coming to warez, here some are right and some wrong, it depends on the kind of person. Some just dl warez and keep doing that. Some dl warez and then actually buy the things they've liked. Because in most cases, a person that downloads something, is a person that would've never bought it. On my part, i have to say the only illegal material i dowload is the one i can't obtain. I'm talking about old games that aren't sold anymore (not even in cheap editions or similar) and things that i can't have through the normal market (especially mangas/anime that have never been translated, or really old comics). That is because i can't buy them.
The things i find useful or really like, i buy those. But in most cases, they've passed in my hands in the form of warez before.
So here comes my confession, since i agree with you (even if not 100%): i make wide use of paint shop pro 8, and i have been using it since v 5 or something without ever buying it. I admit that, and hope i will remember to purchase it one day :)
Oh, and now that you remind of it, i've given out my soldat key once :P
But don't ban me yet, because i've stopped using mine ( so that counts as a gift no? :d) and will buy another for me when i feel like getting around it ( never used the registered functions lol )
But that's all.

systemfeind
August 13, 2004, 9:19 am
rofl and u are a mod? :>

that fuking sniper
August 13, 2004, 10:15 am
Honesty is one of the best things you can get from a person in charge. I might just throw that back at you and ask "Rofl, and you are a member?".

The least you can do is respect the people who run the forum, or criticize them in a constructive way. It's not like we invited people to come here :) And I mean no direct offense, of course.

As for the topic: When you offer someone something, that thing alone can be obtained through two ways. In one way, the person nothing or less than what he would lose in the other way. The whole thing lyes on what that person cares about. If he/she respects the creator of the software, a fair exchange would occur, and the person would have lost less by paying and keeping his/her conscience at peace. Get me?

Weed
August 15, 2004, 6:54 am
crucify me, im a bad man.

BManx2000
August 15, 2004, 4:35 pm
This is why I deleted all my "warez" (which wasn't really that much... really) a long time ago...